We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Best dps meter available

Quote Originally Posted by Dimoyle56 View Post
    It's really the part about being able to fudge the dps metres. This then creates the problem of needing better dps metres which in turn opens the bag for boss mods, damage done by pve mobs/boss's etc and then I have to update addons every time before going into game and can't raid for a week or so after a content update.
    If it was Age of conan I'd have to go and individually edit every lua file with the new revision number (or use a 3rd party shell program to update them) if it was wow I'd have 32 different addons to configure, if it was warhammer about 4 Aion about 6 and so forth.
    Main reason I don't use buff bars is it consumes too much screen real-estate something which I kinda need more than 3-8 bars floating up and a huge chunk below my character. I can see when I have both eyes by looking under my character profile which although is small I can make out the debuffs. Only time I've been close to failing with debuffs on twins is when my LM was draining power and had all cool downs and no other means to gain power back so I left a little puddle where I was standing and got a couple more ticks on my drain power.
    Buffbars is pretty customizable. You can enable or disable as many bars as you want, shrink them down, make a list of ignored debuffs, etc. You can if you wish, set it up to ignore everything but the eye debuffs. So screen real estate is only as much of an issue as you let it be. Meanwhile the default UI doesn't allow you to ignore which buffs/debuffs it displays, so you have a charlie foxtrot of icons.

I don't like icon charlie foxtrots, especially if I have to mouse over them to see how much time I have remaining on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammeek View Post
    I like to play the game by feel not by script. I can look at my Screen and see what needed. I dont need a BuffBar or dps Meters. That like Playing Super Mario Brothers with cheat codes.
    You have to be trolling.

The information displayed by any of these addons is already in game, though finding it or deriving it may be a hassle.

You can already determine how much dps you do without any programs, by using a stopwatch, a calculator, and logging your combat log. Stop logging when you want to stop your watch, and use a calculator to add up all the damage you did and divide it by the time in seconds.

It's just an inconvenient time consuming hassle.

It's not cheating, it's just making the displayed information more readily available.

It's more like akin to playing super mario bros with your tv's brightness adjusted normally so that you can see everything, versus playing it with the brightness turned all the way down. If you have sharp eyes, you can still see the screen well enough to see where to jump, if you have sharp eyes, you can see the eye debuff icons in the charlie foxtrot under your vitals, but that doesn't mean that turning the brightness to normal is cheating.

And you think Premoting something is any Better Devildoc. There two sides of this issue. Yes Lua Scripting can be useful like large bag and such. But Lua Scripting can be ABUSED I showed you that. It can split the game like it has on WOW and you dont want to see that.

It starts out like it has in Lotro. Where Personal use. Then Guilds or Kinships see it as very useful tool. Great for Newbies they make it a Requirement. Which change Personal to mandatory. It slowly Hit other Kinships and They start Making it manatory.

So Yes I see Pro and cons of both sides. But I dont want to See the repeat of Wow.

This debate been going on for a long time Check this tread out

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...gnostic-addons
    Last edited by Sammeek; Jan 27 2011 at 07:57 AM.

If I wanted the sort of environment and player community thats dependent on things like DPS Meters, Id go back and play WoW.

No, seriously. I was a raider for years(not extremely hardcore) until I realized that there had honestly never been one boss kill that had been fun enough to outweigh all the stress and BS required to get it.

But trying to be real, itll happen to LotRO too. So in terms of damage control Turbine needs to put in a built in system. First it needs to be optional, and if you have it turned off it does NOT share data with other players in your group. Secondly Id also suggest data only be available after an encounter, somehow(cant think of a good way to do this).

Lucky for me LotRO is just a stepping stone to either SWTOR or Guild Wars 2(most likely, Im just not finding 'standard' MMOs to be fun anymore), so I honestly dont care how bad it gets in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammeek View Post
    And you think Premoting something is any Better Devildoc. There two sides of this issue. Yes Lua Scripting can be useful like large bag and such. But Lua Scripting can be ABUSED I showed you that. It can split the game like it has on WOW and you dont want to see that.

It starts out like it has in Lotro. Where Personal use. Then Guilds or Kinships see it as very useful tool. Great for Newbies they make it a Requirement. Which change Personal to mandatory. It slowly Hit other Kinships and They start Making it manatory.

So Yes I see Pro and cons of both sides. But I dont want to See the repeat of Wow.

This debate been going on for a long time Check this tread out

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...gnostic-addons

By the same token, Arato's and myself's kin have shown the other side of that coin. As the raid leader I dont require anyone to use any type of addon at all. I certainly encourage them. I have asked ppl in they want info on Buffbars/DPS meter. I've provided links ect, I've offered my time to help them install and customize them.

If they want to use them, good on em. Makes for a better cleaner run IMO. If they choose not to, thats their call. If they are someone that continues to wipe us over and over again-something that could be solved with a simple plugin. Then I'll try to build a group around that player. I'll do everything I possibly can to include that person in group.

If all else fails, I'll replace them for that run. At some point you have to 'man up' as raid leader and acknowledge the responsibility they (I) have to kin. Its my responsibility to make sure I can get 12 ppl through content with as little fuss as possible. Its my job to make sure I or anyone else doesn't waste 11 other ppls time each and every run.

I would never require plug ins. We aren't that type of kin. But there are other ways to make sure we clear content.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000fd8b5/signature.png]Grampsith[/charsig]

And this, my friends, is why many of us don't even bother with raids or some of the 6 man instances- so that this kind of stuff never comes up. Saves casuals like me from even getting involved in the whole mess of what I should or shouldn't have, who I should or shouldn't play with, etc.

Sadly, it's also why I'll never see the Watcher, never do a real Helegrod run, or many of the other big "required" end game instances. Because people are for more stuck in this raiding mindset rather than slowing down a bit, being understanding of those that don't use everything or know everything, having patience for those that don't get to run them, etc.

I did one treasury run and got blasted because I didn't know what I was doing in it (having never done it before- and saying that up front, I thought it was excusable). Now this just adds to it. Sad really.

I love LUA add ons, and use the ones mentioned here and several others, but I can already see some of what you claim as the WoW mentality seeping in- not that we didn't have it already. I guess it just kind of depresses me a bit because I hoped at some point to be able to do GS, HoT, HoC, and some of the others but that was hard enough before. Now with even more "requirements" on PUGs (sorry I will NOT ditch my small kinship of real life friends for a "better" kinship just so I can raid) and attitudes, it looks like I can probably write off ever doing many of those.

So thanks for the conversation and posts everyone. They really have been enlightening, in more ways than some of you intended.
    Firefoot: Elendale (hunter) Galorlas (champ) Grimlaff (warden) Corny (warg)

Quote Originally Posted by Grampsaz View Post
    I would never require plug ins. We aren't that type of kin. But there are other ways to make sure we clear content.
    You're avoiding the issue here. We know your kin won't have it as a requirement. That has been made clear many a time already (especially in the 60+ page thread we had recently).

No, the issue is how the rest of the playerbase will use it, not just a select few. This is something that will affect the whole playerbase, and we need to take into account how everyone will use it. With that in mind, the comparisons to other games are extremly relevant; You can't render those comparisons moot simply by shouting "Fear-mongerer!" How PuGs, and non-hardcore-raiding kins, will use them is just as relevant as how the hardcore raiders will use them; I have yet to see an answer that addresses the fears of what will happen to the two first groups. I can't speak for everyone, but that is why I argue against it; It is something that could take away from my fun, I have nothing to gain from it, and there are so far no good suggestions on how to prevent any bad effects that could happen.

Who knows, maybe the bad stuff won't happen here, maybe our community is better that that. However, can you really blame players for not wanting to take that risk in the first place, when there is little to no gain for them?

I want to be able to play the game the same way I have done for two years now. I'll support meters if they can be implemented without it affecting the way I play the game. That is, to me, the big issue here, and I think it would be best if we stopped avoiding it.
    Last edited by Macfeast; Jan 27 2011 at 10:56 AM.
    Graindim Dwarrowfare, Lord of Baruk Khazad;
    Host and guide of the Pilgrimage to Khazad-Dûm.

---

Logic in this thread is non-existant.

#1 My IP address?!? I can't give that away!
    Really now? Do you even know what an IP address is? Do you even know already without any sharing of your IP address that at least a million scans have happened to your precious address for open ports?

Turbine does not, and will not ask for an IP address in any sort of account password reset. Knowing your email address is much more important than an IP address for your account to get hacked. Oh whats that? You have your email address on your FACEBOOK page and comment on the LOTRO pages? How foolish.

#2 This will surely cause my account to get hacked!
    Not a single person who was hacked before 1/10/11 used this plugin, it didn't exist, yet people got hacked.

This plugin does not steal your account info. How do I know this? I READ THE SOURCE CODE.
    People are paranoid over account security in the wrong areas because they don't understand computers. If you don't understand computers, don't comment on threads about computer software!

The source code is provided. Use it and stop insinuating that the authors of plugins and other software are stealing your passwords. Defamation is RAMPANT on this forum, you are ruining reputation by uninformed posts! You all owe these players who put time into making things that enhance the game an apology.
    Last edited by Dyfrin; Jan 27 2011 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sirwillow View Post
    And this, my friends, is why many of us don't even bother with raids or some of the 6 man instances- so that this kind of stuff never comes up. Saves casuals like me from even getting involved in the whole mess of what I should or shouldn't have, who I should or shouldn't play with, etc.

Sadly, it's also why I'll never see the Watcher, never do a real Helegrod run, or many of the other big "required" end game instances. Because people are for more stuck in this raiding mindset rather than slowing down a bit, being understanding of those that don't use everything or know everything, having patience for those that don't get to run them, etc.

I did one treasury run and got blasted because I didn't know what I was doing in it (having never done it before- and saying that up front, I thought it was excusable). Now this just adds to it. Sad really.

I love LUA add ons, and use the ones mentioned here and several others, but I can already see some of what you claim as the WoW mentality seeping in- not that we didn't have it already. I guess it just kind of depresses me a bit because I hoped at some point to be able to do GS, HoT, HoC, and some of the others but that was hard enough before. Now with even more "requirements" on PUGs (sorry I will NOT ditch my small kinship of real life friends for a "better" kinship just so I can raid) and attitudes, it looks like I can probably write off ever doing many of those.

So thanks for the conversation and posts everyone. They really have been enlightening, in more ways than some of you intended.

This is me right here. Reading this thread makes me more of a casual solo player more than ever. I really honestly hate the numbers game that so many people are stuck on.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    This is me right here. Reading this thread makes me more of a casual solo player more than ever. I really honestly hate the numbers game that so many people are stuck on.
    So other people who frequent their class forum looking at comparatives in equipment to attain maximum dps or healing are not entitled to use items like this to try to maximize?

To each their own, why come comment on something you aren't going to use?

This isn't your kin's thread discussing a requirement of this.

Why does everyone feel they need to chime in on a topic just to say, they aren't going to use it?

Why not go to a car dealership and just talk to the salespeople about how you aren't going to buy their cars..

I use plugins, but not the DPS Meter. Don't need it, I have the simplest and most effective DPS Meter in any game. Actually, I use this meter in all MMOs that I play. It is simple, effective, provided by the game, takes up few resources and little screen real estate and it is very easy to understand.

My DPS Meter? Why, if the mob is dead and I'm not, my DPS was effective.
    Last edited by Gandolf_TheOld; Jan 29 2011 at 01:27 AM.
    Ujest - 115 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 87 Warden, Veneur - 62 Hunter, Cneasai - 46 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

And this whole steaming pile is why I quit raiding in EQ2...loot drama and greed, required add ons (I thought I was playing a GAME...not an Excel spreadsheet), post raid kvetching at the guild forums about who did what dps and who rolled on what, being TOLD how to spec my character, long time guild members being excluded because their gear isn't "good enough", more loot drama and hurt feelings and on and on and on. I am SO done with all that nonsense.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000144aa0/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Grampsaz View Post
    Ya LCD is a personal type indicator, good for what it does, but has limitations over other options, some people are interested in group/raid wide dps meters.

Just pointing out to those people, check this one out.

Those that aren't interested, your not telling me or anyone else something we dont already know. You dont like em, they aren't part of Lotro culture, they ruin communities and anyone that uses them will feel compelled to clubbing baby seals.
    I for one love the idea of DPS meters. Why? Because there is no other good feedback to when you're DPSing well, or DPSing poorly. Even time of the fight from start to finish can have a dozen or more other factors - how many tosses the boss uses, how many add waves spawn, how good your OTHER DPSers are, etc. A DPS meter is *the* way to compare your DPS against other strategies and learn how to effectively work the system. Otherwise it's all squishy "feel" and the inexact tendency of the human mind to remember outliers and think they were the whole experience. Hate that. Give me charts and graphs.
    Last edited by ANewMachine; Jan 27 2011 at 12:34 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000000d51ed/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!

Quote Originally Posted by Dyfrin View Post
    So other people who frequent their class forum looking at comparatives in equipment to attain maximum dps or healing are not entitled to use items like this to try to maximize?

To each their own, why come comment on something you aren't going to use?

(...)

Why does everyone feel they need to chime in on a topic just to say, they aren't going to use it?
    (...)
    I wrote a long text here and then I felt that it wouldn't really add anything, so in short:

Naturally this topic raises emotions and thus people chime in.

I'll definitely give it a go once I am at max level for a while to get a feeling what works. I doubt I will be able to attend raids really - it's more for myself.

Btw, does the DPS meter show your own skirmish soldier?

Always kudos for anyone who is able and willing to create and share any addons, thanks for that.

In regards to the debuffing - it's a pain in general and I would rather have an in-game solution. It would not destroy my immersion if I am clearly told that my character is affected by something and should feel funny - so I can react. Could be an obvious on-going sound as well for that matter (not knowing about those two "eye" effects that you guys were talking about).
    [CENTER][FONT=Arial][B]Rouven[/B]* – official representative** of the silent[/FONT][FONT=Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings]U[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial] majority[/FONT][FONT=Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings]U[FONT=Wingdings]U[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial] for 130 years[/FONT][FONT=Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings]¸[/FONT][/FONT][/CENTER]

[CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c214000000044504/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=1][URL="http://my.lotro.com/user-1069763/2011/05/18/the-footnote/"]Important [I]footnotes[/I] to the above can be found here.[/URL][/SIZE][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Dyfrin View Post
    Logic in this thread is non-existant.

#1 My IP address?!? I can't give that away!
    Really now? Do you even know what an IP address is? Do you even know already without any sharing of your IP address that at least a million scans have happened to your precious address for open ports?

Turbine does not, and will not ask for an IP address in any sort of account password reset. Knowing your email address is much more important than an IP address for your account to get hacked. Oh whats that? You have your email address on your FACEBOOK page and comment on the LOTRO pages? How foolish.

#2 This will surely cause my account to get hacked!
    Not a single person who was hacked before 1/10/11 used this plugin, it didn't exist, yet people got hacked.

This plugin does not steal your account info. How do I know this? I READ THE SOURCE CODE.
    People are paranoid over account security in the wrong areas because they don't understand computers. If you don't understand computers, don't comment on threads about computer software!

The source code is provided. Use it and stop insinuating that the authors of plugins and other software are stealing your passwords. Defamation is RAMPANT on this forum, you are ruining reputation by uninformed posts! You all owe these players who put time into making things that enhance the game an apology.
    Thanks for having the technical saavy to be able to analyze the source code and speak on behalf of Evendale as a stand up guy.

I've logged in to play in CA,TX,GA,DC,IL,MN,ID,OR,NV

Thanks a lot for the link, Grampsaz!
    2017: 6 levels and an instance! As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he joined the Smaug The Dragon raid. Then he asked for leadership, looted the chest, assigned himself the 1st age Arkenstone and mailed it to an alt (Bilbo's a VIP so can mail from anywhere). They did some PvMP and an Epic Battle, then he apologized and gave the Arkenstone back because it wasn't BoA. He kept the pony.

Oh, its this thread again with the same people shouting about the same thing calling anyone that disagrees with them a "fear monger."

[CENTER][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. [/COLOR] [/CENTER]

I also know Evendale and I'd be surprised (to say the least) if this plugin was an attempt to get IP's for hacking accounts. He's intensely interested in the inner workings of the game; he even went so far as to work the exact formula used to calculate damage (I'd rather have my gums scraped, but to each his own).

As far as kin requiring this DPS meter (or any add-on), I don't see the harm in asking ahead of time what the raid requirements are before joining a kin. If you feel they are too strenuous, you certainly have the option to not join that kin. Personally, I love some of the plugins available; Palantir is really cool, the Travel Window has opened up a lot of quickbar slots for me, and BuffBars makes it nearly impossible to miss a debuff that needs to be dealt with - the yellow eye in the Lt. fight specifically.

That being said, I'm less than ecstatic about the presence of a DPS meter for my own personal reasons. GLFF on E is bad enough with the absurd link-bragging and endless bickering over who is right about some entirely nugatory point of debate. I understand that many players play MMOs to wave the epeen, but I shudder to think what things will be like once DPS meters are in widespread use. Yes, I know I can just /leavechannel, but there are times I enjoy GLFF chat.
    solien
    armor-plated since SoA alpha 3
    arkenstone: roxxi manor

Quote Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
    This particular meter has the ability to set up a server kinda like a ventrilo server, where other people running the plugin can connect to the person who opens up the server and then their dps data is shared.. Hence all the fear mongering about giving out your IP address. The only person who has to give out their IP address is the person who is STARTING the server. Obviously that's a choice they make, and if nobody in the group is comfortable with giving out their IP address, then no server gets set up, and no dps comparisons will be made and all the worries about IP's getting hacked become completely baseless.

So to recap, the only way you see other people's meters is:

They have to be using the same program to parse their combat logs.
    They have to either start a server you connect to, or join a server you're connected to or started yourself. It's just like joining a ventrilo server that someone is running off their own machine.

In this case, we could tell the Burglar was afk because his DPS fell to the single digits as he was no longer doing any damage, and these particular trash mobs were nothing he needed to mez or remove corruptions on and could not have conjunctions started on, IE like Evendale himself who was running with us on his burglar, he would be dps'ing. Did we kick him? Nope, all that happened was I made a comment that we could tell he was afk, he came back, his DPS came back up.
    Thanks. This does sound different from WoW, in which people have no choice in whether to join the meter or not. I hope it remains so.

As many people have pointed out: there are dumb players who think dps meter > than real strat, even when someone plays survival to keep the group/raid alive. It is unpleasant to run into those players, and if a meter provides those players a mean to act out their stupidity, people won't like it. It will indeed be detrimental to the game's atmosphere.

The real kink behind requiring addons for raiding.... the raid leader has ZERO way to check to see if a person is using other than asking over voice/tell.

At which point the person has 3 options:
    1) Say that they are
    2) Say that they aren't
    3) Lie (Not recommended, causes drama)

Any raid leader that makes addons mandatory is an idiot. Unlike traitings or gear choices, there is no way for the raid leader to validate that any member of the raid is, or isn't, using an addon.

This is probably the strongest argument AGAINST creating a plugins channel.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    The real kink behind requiring addons for raiding.... the raid leader has ZERO way to check to see if a person is using other than asking over voice/tell.

At which point the person has 3 options:
    1) Say that they are
    2) Say that they aren't
    3) Lie (Not recommended, causes drama)

Any raid leader that makes addons mandatory is an idiot. Unlike traitings or gear choices, there is no way for the raid leader to validate that any member of the raid is, or isn't, using an addon.

This is probably the strongest argument AGAINST creating a plugins channel.
    I like the plugin channel and plugins being able to sync up, that's pretty cool. I used to have the ability to see the exact damage numbers the tank was being hit for , the numbers rolled over their portrait in the vitals bar. Was handy as a healer to see the type of damage the tank was taking. It did it by syncing with the tank's incoming damage parser. Not to mention the dps and threat meters, and being able to mouseover a person's vitals and see which major cooldowns they have available, like being able to see the cooldown on their in combat resurrection skills.

Stuff like that I find useful. Though I do agree some addons can go too far. I'm allll for addons that make available information more accessible, or ones that can shorten up communication over voice IE like I said displaying if someone has a res cooldown up without having to clutter vent. But things like boss mods in WoW, where the fight's script was basically spelled out for you, that I didn't like. You didn't have to know the strategy then, you just followed the mod. Anything more than having a popup display of "Soandso has the Purple Eye!" is going too far with it (though that right there I'd be okay with, sometimes it can be a mess to see who's got the eye when people are balled up to make room. But there were boss mods that literally told you to move left or move right, that I'm not okay with), or any mods that use any skills for you, beyond making a hidden invisible potion bar the way buffbars and palantir do that pops up when you have a curable debuff. But like, healbot mods.. those are too far.. if you don't know what those are, basically you could click on a person's vitals and it'd automatically cast the appropriate heal for the amount of damage they've taken. Or worse, mods like the old decursive, where you clicked a button and the mod would automatically target a person with a debuff you could cure and cause your debuff removal skill on them. You could spam clicking that button and cure your entire raid in seconds without even having to know who you cured. You'd hear a gong sound effect from your boss mods saying a nasty curse got thrown out to several people, spam decursive, done... and that curse was supposed to be a major mechanic of the fight. To compensate at first they balanced fights around people using this addon (big nono) which pretty much meant the devs were requiring you to use the addons, not even your guild. Then they limited the API to not be able to do that type of function anymore.

Anyway, something like buffbars/palantir, or dps/threat meters I think are fine, as it's just making information and diagnostics more accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintBass View Post
    Oh, its this thread again with the same people shouting about the same thing calling anyone that disagrees with them a "fear monger."
    But there IS a lot of fear mongering.

Fear mongering out of pure ignorance to boot.

the moment someone mentioned IP people began panicking and throwing out all sorts of conspiracy theories and horror stories about getting hacked cause they gave out their IP address. Only a few people actually bothered to look at even the readmes and realize the only person giving out an IP address would be the server starter.

How was that NOT fear mongering?

Quote Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
    I like the plugin channel and plugins being able to sync up, that's pretty cool. I used to have the ability to see the exact damage numbers the tank was being hit for , the numbers rolled over their portrait in the vitals bar. Was handy as a healer to see the type of damage the tank was taking. It did it by syncing with the tank's incoming damage parser. Not to mention the dps and threat meters, and being able to mouseover a person's vitals and see which major cooldowns they have available, like being able to see the cooldown on their in combat resurrection skills.

Stuff like that I find useful. Though I do agree some addons can go too far. I'm allll for addons that make available information more accessible, or ones that can shorten up communication over voice IE like I said displaying if someone has a res cooldown up without having to clutter vent. But things like boss mods in WoW, where the fight's script was basically spelled out for you, that I didn't like. You didn't have to know the strategy then, you just followed the mod. Anything more than having a popup display of "Soandso has the Purple Eye!" is going too far with it (though that right there I'd be okay with, sometimes it can be a mess to see who's got the eye when people are balled up to make room. But there were boss mods that literally told you to move left or move right, that I'm not okay with), or any mods that use any skills for you, beyond making a hidden invisible potion bar the way buffbars and palantir do that pops up when you have a curable debuff. But like, healbot mods.. those are too far.. if you don't know what those are, basically you could click on a person's vitals and it'd automatically cast the appropriate heal for the amount of damage they've taken. Or worse, mods like the old decursive, where you clicked a button and the mod would automatically target a person with a debuff you could cure and cause your debuff removal skill on them. You could spam clicking that button and cure your entire raid in seconds without even having to know who you cured. You'd hear a gong sound effect from your boss mods saying a nasty curse got thrown out to several people, spam decursive, done... and that curse was supposed to be a major mechanic of the fight. To compensate at first they balanced fights around people using this addon (big nono) which pretty much meant the devs were requiring you to use the addons, not even your guild. Then they limited the API to not be able to do that type of function anymore.

Anyway, something like buffbars/palantir, or dps/threat meters I think are fine, as it's just making information and diagnostics more accessible.
    And yet, for half of the functionality you listed, I could (if I really wanted to) draw up arguments that give a reason why each is an acceptable addition to LotRO, and why that particular part of the game should be exposed to the Lua plugins.

I'm a fan for letting anything most anything be available for you to do with as needed. However, like I said before, it's when the plugins can communicate with other plugins that the stupidity starts. And yet, some of the stuff that I would find inappropriate, is just fine to you, and another would look at both of us, and find our entire stance on plugins as not appropriate to the game.

I also think that Turbine needs to take a stance on the hybrid plugins (that is, Lua plugin + helper program) before someone does something stupid with them.

The big question.... where do we draw the line? What should and should not be acceptable?
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

It's obvious different types of players prefer different amount of details. Pardon the goofy analogy, but this is starting to remind me of the Kinsey scale of sexual orientation where one can go the distance of 0 to 10.

I had liked my days of grouping and raiding in the early days of EQ when a very kind cleric sometimes fell asleep at his keyboard due to his old age in rl. He was well-beloved because he always organized groups to help people. I also liked my later days of raiding when we poured over parsers to figure out how to achieve maximum dps output. Then I grew bored of the whole maximizing thrill (due to some people acting way too arrogant, rejecting nice applicants left and right, which ended with a dying server.. well all kinds of dying servers on EQ). Now I'm happily back to casual gaming. This whole week I logged in once to Lotro to end up helping a level 34 asking for help on a group quest when I am but 42 after starting the new toon in June! Got 0 exp after dying twice and paying for repairs. I am happy going slow as a snail. So on a Kinsey scale of meters preference, I guess I go from 0 to 10.

Devildoc likes certain add-ons, but not others.

The "big question" on where to draw the line.. mm, I think lies in letting everyone do whatever he/she wants on a consensual basis. As long as my dps, heal amount, etc. is private to me when I want it to be private, fine by me for someone else to parse and gloat. Just leave me out of it. *cough

I hope you guys have fun with the meter, or without. /Cheer

Quote Originally Posted by Solien View Post
    ...nugatory...
    Halvr's vocabulary skill rises 0.2 points.
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=dimgray]::: [SIZE=3][URL="http://waywatchersofcardolan.guildportal.com"][COLOR=SlateGray][SIZE=4]T[/SIZE]he [SIZE=4]W[/SIZE]aywatchers of [SIZE=4]C[/SIZE]ardolan[/COLOR][/URL] [SIZE=2]:[/SIZE] [URL="http://palantiri.guildportal.com"][COLOR=LightBlue][SIZE=4]T[/SIZE]he [SIZE=4]P[/SIZE]alantiri[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE] :::[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=Garamond][COLOR=DimGray][URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/balgr/"][COLOR=LemonChiffon]Balgr Snowmantle[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=Silver]: Curmudgeon[/COLOR] :[SIZE=4][COLOR=#303030].[/COLOR][/SIZE][URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/saladoc/"][COLOR=LemonChiffon]Saladoc Willowleaf[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=Silver]: Stick-in-the-mud[/COLOR]
    [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/ciruth/"][COLOR=LemonChiffon]Ciruth of Gondor[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=Silver]: Itinerant Scholar[/COLOR] : [COLOR=LemonChiffon][URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/halvr/"][COLOR=LemonChiffon]Halvr[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/khasi/"][COLOR=LemonChiffon]Khasi Flamebrow[/COLOR][/URL], and [COLOR=LemonChiffon]Kholi[/COLOR][COLOR=Silver]: At your service![/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray][URL="http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a346/MrPinstripes/FFXI%20Stuff/AustrevenMH21409.jpg"][COLOR=dimgray]Austreven[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=3][COLOR=#303030].[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]of Cobalt (Bismarck)[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]

I only ever encountered dps meters in one mmo -------> WOW.
    During raids and pug groups they were always used after each big fight. The stats would go up on the raid chat and everyone saw their dps and their healing output.
    Funnily, guild groups i was in never used them, only pugs.
    This suggests to me that it was implied on all groups members that they were being watched to make sure they put in a certain level of effort and take responsiblity for their role in the group.
    This was not about being nice as WOW groups always were serious undertakings and as such expectations were placed on all players. That is why the meters existed ----------> to keep players in line to expectations placed on them by the group. They were never about letting every player know how much dps they were outputting.
    They are a tool for control of the kiddies who joined WOW pugs.
    This is a level of group control I would not want to see brought into a MMO of the maturity of LOTRO as it would change the feel of the game for the players.
    It is a game about friendly casual fun not a game about big brother looking over your shoulder to make sure you play as you are told.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast