We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Best dps meter available

http://www.lotrointerface.com/downlo...d=502#cmnt6198

Gotta give credit where credit is due. This thing is amazing. The dmg source UI is amazing too, being able to see what type of dmg, how much and what type of attack AoE/Tactical/Ect its very valuable.

If you dont use Plugins, this probably wont interest you.
    If you dont use DPS meters this obviously wont interest you.

Great work Even.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000fd8b5/signature.png]Grampsith[/charsig]

Re: Best dps meter available

note: one step said: obtain IP address of other player to effectively compare.

the tool *may* be better than sliced bread -- but -- no. not giving that type of information out. would caution others from doing so.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000000aa753/01004/signature.png]Roselindea[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by twittfounder View Post
    note: one step said: obtain IP address of other player to effectively compare.
    That's a deal breaker. There is another thread about the pros and cons of dps meters and if they are even needed in this game. DPS meters are a WoW thing, not a LOTRO thing.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000334976/signature.png]Kellymae[/charsig]

Hate to break it do ya, there are at least 4 different dps meters in game now. They are getting better and better as time goes on and will be more accepted and used in game as time goes on.

They are a MMO thing. Period.

*forgot to add*

Until Turbine adds further support via API an external app will be needed to connect everyone using ANY DPS meter. But if DPS/Threat meters weren't acceptable for Lotro, turbine has the ability to pull the rip cord for LUA functions when ever they see fit.
    Last edited by Grampsaz; Jan 22 2011 at 09:17 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000fd8b5/signature.png]Grampsith[/charsig]

I can think of no good reason to give someone I don't know in a video game my IP address. Would you like my car keys and the keys to my house too? It's an MMO thing I can pass on if that's what it takes to do it.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000008a315/01004/signature.png]Kyarra[/charsig]

In addition to:
    Cirra Ceemstress, 72 Hobbit Hunter
    Cyrawyn, 75 Woman Captain
    Keharra Thistleknott, 38 Hobbit Warden
    Kyari, 43 Elf Runekeeper
    Kyradriel, 37 Elf Loremaster
    Kyrafern, 29 Woman Champion
    Kyre Thistleknott, 29 Hobbit Burglar
    Keralin, 28 Hobbit Guardian

With all the hacking going on, I stay away from stuff like this - not just the plugins, but unofficial sites as well. It's just too risky.
    If you give away gold bars, someone will complain they're too heavy.
    .: Dannach, 100 WDN :.: Daire, 83 LMR :.: Gyrefalcon, 92 CHN :.: Brandon, 72 CPT :.: Honey, 71 GRD :.: Griffon, 69 HNT :.: Kaelenea, 72 RNK :.
    .: Iryth, 56 WDN :.: Baye, 56 WDN :.: Samtal, 64 WDN :.:Dunnock, 56 WDN :.: Sedgewald, 68 LMR :.: Breyon, 41 CHN :.: Tieran, 50 HNT :.

I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.
    Might as well face it, I'm addicted to WDN

http://www.lotrointerface.com/downlo...-LotroLCD.html

As far as I know, this DPS meter plugin does not need your IP address to work. It uses logs to track DPS so you record IM's. It might increase your ping a bit but it's better than sharing your IP address.
    [COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]Sarik - Warleader [/COLOR][COLOR=#339966][COLOR=SeaGreen]//[/COLOR] [/COLOR][COLOR=#3366ff]Jacin - Champion [COLOR=SeaGreen]//[/COLOR] [COLOR=Green]Aiden - Minstrel[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]

Ya LCD is a personal type indicator, good for what it does, but has limitations over other options, some people are interested in group/raid wide dps meters.

Just pointing out to those people, check this one out.

Those that aren't interested, your not telling me or anyone else something we dont already know. You dont like em, they aren't part of Lotro culture, they ruin communities and anyone that uses them will feel compelled to clubbing baby seals.

Quote Originally Posted by Grampsaz View Post
    Hate to break it do ya, there are at least 4 different dps meters in game now. They are getting better and better as time goes on and will be more accepted and used in game as time goes on.
    I assume you mean that there are dps meters available as LUA scripts? There aren't any in the game itself, that I'm aware of.

I have to say this is not my cup of tea. I won't participate in any group that uses it either. All the more reason to keep with solo play.

And it's not an MMO thing. Period. If anything, solo play is the MMO thing. WoW, Age of Conan and this game are prime examples.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

I really love this sort of stuff because I like to push things and I love math. However, anyone installing third party applications at this point and exposing themselves to vulnerabilities is crazy. On one hand we have interesting tools, on the other hand we have a proliferation of hacked account threads where end users can't figure out how they're being compromised. These sorts of third party, networked solutions can be potentially dangerous.

If anything the desire for these tools and the problematic hacking should signal Turbine to include this functionality within the game client. It would be a win-win for all, especially if the in game parser was included in the Lua API for customization.
    Centuries ago, in primitive times, before the dawn of civilization, there were things that would be inconceivable to us today; such things as poverty, disease, violence, senility, and love.

Those that aren't interested, your not telling me or anyone else something we dont already know. You dont like em, they aren't part of Lotro culture, they ruin communities and anyone that uses them will feel compelled to clubbing baby seals.
    No, I was just going to say that there have been one to several DPS-meter threads around here before, and in at least one of them it was pointed out that if DPS is what you look for when selecting for a fellowship, you'll wind up with six DPS masters and no other classes to provide the other useful skills that they have and that you will need.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by FyreBrand View Post
    If anything the desire for these tools and the problematic hacking should signal Turbine to include this functionality within the game client. It would be a win-win for all, especially if the in game parser was included in the Lua API for customization.
    Given how the split the forums community is on this topic, I wouldn't call it a win-win situation for all. Sure, for some it would be a win, but not for everyone.
    Graindim Dwarrowfare, Lord of Baruk Khazad;
    Host and guide of the Pilgrimage to Khazad-Dûm.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Macfeast View Post
    Given how the split the forums community is on this topic, I wouldn't call it a win-win situation for all. Sure, for some it would be a win, but not for everyone.
    Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I mean it would be a win for those who love additional tools and a win for game account security.

I realize there are many who don't like this sort of thing and some who would use it poorly (I can just picture the trainwreck glff conversation). However, I think it's important that every play style and group of players have the tools and stuff they like to make the game better for them. For some this is the ability to buy stuff in the store, for others it's using parsers and tools, for others it's scalable content and skirmishes, for some it's completing achievements in game, others it's having viable solo or group content, and so on. At some point we need to come to the realization that others will play in a way we don't agree with and we need to let them do that and just do our game thing with the people we choose.

More choices and options for players will mean a more diverse and engaging game for all.
    Centuries ago, in primitive times, before the dawn of civilization, there were things that would be inconceivable to us today; such things as poverty, disease, violence, senility, and love.

While the author (of the plugin) did a great job, there are too many red-flags for me to say no thank you.

Question(s) to those advocating dps/threat meters:

Do these not dumb-down encounter(s)/fights to just facerolling?

Is there not already a separation of players that are for and against gating with claims of "care-bearing" and "ez-mode"? How many that are for a means to gating are also for dps/threat meters?

Is there not a likely hood that with the prevalence of these meters you will see diminishing roles of specialty classes like LMs, Burglars, and Captains or class restructuring to appease the number crunchers?

Will the development team not take notice and then see fit to give us just more Turtle, Sword Halls, or Grand Stairs -esque dungeon and boss encounter designs?
    [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="2"]If Middle Earth doesn't take a moment to understand [I]why[/I] Sauron was able to draw tens of thousands of disenfranchised individuals to his cause, then they're destined to fight the same war all over again...as soon as the next Sauron shows up.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I mean it would be a win for those who love additional tools and a win for game account security.
    Fair enough.

At some point we need to come to the realization that others will play in a way we don't agree with and we need to let them do that and just do our game thing with the people we choose.
    I definitely agree on that point. Don't get me wrong here, I don't want to take away from what other players think are fun, I really don't; Everyone is entitled to their style of play, and I respect that others have a different view on the topic.
    It's just that with this particular topic, my fear is that while it would be a good addition for some players, it could also turn out to have really bad effects on the rest of the playerbase. That's why I'm opposed to the meters; Not because of the good things they can do, but because of the bad things I fear they will do.
    Will they bring bad things? Who knows, maybe they end up being a great addition to the whole playerbase. However, I'm not sure I want to take that risk.

I really don't want to be in the way of additions that enchances other players fun, unless those additions do it at the cost of my fun. As another example, I have the same view on open world PvP; I'm not opposed to it because I want that crowd to suffer. I'm opposed to it because that would make the game less fun for me. Simply put, DPS meters and the like are additions that could end up affecting how I enjoy the game; That's why I am opposed to them. It's not a case of "I don't agree with the way you play". It's a case of "The way you play might intrude on my way of playing".

I wouldn't be opposed to the meters if there was a way to implement them without the risk of negative consequences. Find a way to implement them in the game without them having any effect whatsoever on my playstyle, and you have my support.
    Last edited by Macfeast; Jan 22 2011 at 04:20 PM.
    Graindim Dwarrowfare, Lord of Baruk Khazad;
    Host and guide of the Pilgrimage to Khazad-Dûm.

---

Quote Originally Posted by jayspeed View Post
    http://www.lotrointerface.com/downlo...-LotroLCD.html

As far as I know, this DPS meter plugin does not need your IP address to work. It uses logs to track DPS so you record IM's. It might increase your ping a bit but it's better than sharing your IP address.
    SO does this mean people you group with could be unknowingly monitoring your DPS if they have this? Or is this to monitor your own privately?

Goreamir - 100 Cap | Jinwe - 88 Hnt | Celebourne - 90 Champ | Humblefoot - 75 Min | Dorfus - 74 Grd | Creonath - 55 Wdn | Stormcraban - 35 LM | Whippit - 35 Brg | Thangadir - 33 RK | Bucksexton - 24 Bng

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrawn View Post
    SO does this mean people you group with could be unknowingly monitoring your DPS if they have this? Or is this to monitor your own privately?
    It monitors your own privately. So can the one I linked btw. With better info available imo.

If and only if it comes with a lockout option so that those who don't like/are opposed to/see no need for/etc., etc. can disable their data feeding someone elses meter. Think of it as an anonymous setting for DPS meters...

--W. H. Heydt

Old Used Programmer

It's a good tool, folks, but I can see some confusion.

The IP address hyper-ventilating can stop. It is intended to be used among a group of friends or kinship that trust each other. I wouldn't give my IP to someone I didn't know either. The purpose of that is so you can see how your DPS measures up to others in your fellowship or raid.

This program does not make instances easier except in that it can help you maximize your DPS.

It is also a good tool for running new content as it shows incoming damage and the type of damage you receive, so you can tailor your resists a little better.

If you don't have friends to group with, don't download the program and don't give out your IP.
    [font=algerian][size=+1][color=#FF0000]*FIREFIGHTERS[/color][/size] [color=grey] of Elendilmir:[/color] VERRIK [color=#FFBF00]Lore-Master[/color] [color=#00BFFF]180[/color] - VORROTH [color=#FFBF00]Captain[/color] [color=#00BFFF]170[/color] - VERRIWISE [color=#FFBF00]Minstrel[/color] [color=#00BFFF]115[/color] - AXXL [color=#FFBF00]Rune Keeper[/color] [color=#00BFFF]90[/color][/font]

Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    If and only if it comes with a lockout option so that those who don't like/are opposed to/see no need for/etc., etc. can disable their data feeding someone elses meter. Think of it as an anonymous setting for DPS meters...

--W. H. Heydt

Old Used Programmer
    Absolutely agreed. It should be opt-in and data sharing control in the hands of the user, not the group leader.

Quote Originally Posted by VEEDOG View Post
    It's a good tool, folks, but I can see some confusion.

The IP address hyper-ventilating can stop. It is intended to be used among a group of friends or kinship that trust each other. I wouldn't give my IP to someone I didn't know either. The purpose of that is so you can see how your DPS measures up to others in your fellowship or raid.

This program does not make instances easier except in that it can help you maximize your DPS.

It is also a good tool for running new content as it shows incoming damage and the type of damage you receive, so you can tailor your resists a little better.

If you don't have friends to group with, don't download the program and don't give out your IP.
    I like parsers. If they make content easier for me (or my group) that shouldn't really be the business of anyone else. I really hate when people criticize tools for making content easier because it's an irrelevant argument. Tools that help groups work better together should be encouraged.

I have to disagree that installing a third party executable and a networked application is okay. Like I said above it's a huge security hole just as trusting others with your account info is. Security holes and hacked accounts cost us all. This argument that "trusted friends" makes it okay to have lax security is horrible. Why do we keep seeing so many threads from people saying, "I have no malware and my account was hacked. I'm a sooper-sekurity guru and there is no way anyone can get my info.... except I use third party programs and share my account info." The latter of which will be vehemently denied by the poor hacking victim whose irresponsibility now cost us all.

They are a MMO thing. Period.

*forgot to add*

Until Turbine adds further support via API an external app will be needed to connect everyone using ANY DPS meter. But if DPS/Threat meters weren't acceptable for Lotro, turbine has the ability to pull the rip cord for LUA functions when ever they see fit.
    I hate to break it to you, but DPS is NOT an MMO thing. This game balances a little better than others. Your beloved DPS only matters to a point, but if you are mezzed, interrupted, mitigated, etc, your DPS means squat. In a duel or PVMP, it matters a bit more than if in a group and you are trying to determine who is more worthy of the big man on campus award.

The meter mentioned here requires an IP address? No thanks. Sounds like a scam to me, especially with all this concern about account security recently.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000012b705/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Not into DPS meters. Don't use them, won't use them, and if a group is insisting on them I won't be with them. But did want to respond to this, from someone who I thought knew better:

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon_Blackbird View Post
    With all the hacking going on, I stay away from stuff like this - not just the plugins, but unofficial sites as well. It's just too risky.
    First, plugins are not, can not be, hacks. They can't access your game in that way. All they are are additions that present more information or allow variations on skins. They can't macro, but can allow more quickbars, skills to be put on drop down menus, or graphical ways to present info. I love the one that allows my songback to be easily accessible in game for example.

Second, lotrointerface, while not an official Turbine site, isn't far off from it. It's devs have contributed to it and helped it out. Everything on it is checked out, tested, and looked at by devs as well as some of the most trusted players in the game. If there is any site that is to be trusted outside of official ones, lotrointerface.com is it.

It's your choice to ignore what's on it, but by doing so you are missing the ability to get new skins (new looks and layouts) that can make the UI look far better and be easier to use, and plugins which are wonderful additions to the game.

They are NOT, and never will be, anything close to the add ons in WoW. Not even close. For more information check out the LUA scripting and plug ins forums and you will see that Turbine DOES support them, and that site.
    Firefoot: Elendale (hunter) Galorlas (champ) Grimlaff (warden) Corny (warg)

Thumbs down Re: Best dps meter available

LOL that give a bigger reason why I will not use it sirwillow. When someone start well they can't be hack excuse. It give a reason why someone will hack it.

But back to the Subject. Blame meters might be nice for solo play. They should not be Force onto users like it is on World of Warcraft. I hope Turbine setup a rules to prevent that. Where people who are force to use a meter in Raid and fellowships can report it to Turbine.

I can see it now. Do you use dps meter if you say No your kick. If you lie and say yes and your dps is low your kicked. If you see a Mini or another Runekeeper die and you change from attacking to healing and your dps is Low. Well your kick.

Wonders how fun the game will be if you dont use Blame meters and your force to use them or your kicked.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000266693/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][U][COLOR=#0000be]
    [/COLOR][/U]

Quote Originally Posted by Celt_Ainvar View Post
    LOL that give a bigger reason why I will not use it sirwillow. When someone start well they can't be hack excuse. It give a reason why someone will hack it.
    Ummm, what? That doesn't make any sense. Can you try rephrasing or explaining that again. I honestly don't have any clue what you're talking about or trying to say except that there's some other reason you won't use it.

Let me repeat if you missed it- LUA scripting can NOT be used for hacking (it's impossible to do with it), plugins are written with LUA and only modify the UI in ways that you allow allow (that's not modding the game, only the interface you use), they only have abilities that the lotro devs allow, and the site is endorsed and checked out by Turbine. There's no way for hacks to come in that way.
    Firefoot: Elendale (hunter) Galorlas (champ) Grimlaff (warden) Corny (warg)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast