We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

New Player Guides

Hey there,

If you're a new LOTRO player there's a good chance you've got a lot of questions. Some of those questions can be answered here in the New Player Questions forum and some can even be answered in-game with the Advice channel. However, we're also building a selection of New Player Guides for classes, the LOTRO Store and more -- all scheduled to release over the coming weeks.

You can find the New Player Guide hub here and our Eight Essential MMO Terms guide here!
    Last edited by FordyTwo; Jan 10 2011 at 05:34 PM.
    Kyle "FordyTwo" Horner
    "I want to go back to being weird. I like being weird. Weird is all I've got. That and my sweet style." -Moss

Re: New Player Guides

Good afternoon,

I signed up fr the game, and this is my first time playing it after it is "free to play." I downloaded, however, I cannot create a character. It says that when I sing up I have two character slots. However, as I said before, I cannot create any characters.

Can anyone help me with this issue?

Thank you.

Some people who are using DirectX 10 or 11 are experiencing this issue. On the character screen, click the Options button, and under Graphics change it to DirectX9. Save it, then quite LotRO and restart the client. Hopefully it will work for you after that.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

I have a quest that want me to do an emoticon but i don't know how to do them.

do i need to download pando media booster to download the game? i tried the regular link when i first sign up but it was on starting download for a while so i closed my browser to try again. i went back and found i couldn't use that button anymore...so i went to the download page and clicked on high resolution download, will the game still work that way?

I had posted an Improving Your Gaming Experience thread on Riddermark that I thought would be helpful for new players as well.
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000004002d/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    My custom LotRO UI: [URL="http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info523-SimplyOrain.html"]Simply Orain[/URL][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by FordyTwo View Post
    Hey there,

If you're a new LOTRO player there's a good chance you've got a lot of questions. Some of those questions can be answered here in the New Player Questions forum and some can even be answered in-game with the Advice channel. However, we're also building a selection of New Player Guides for classes, the LOTRO Store and more -- all scheduled to release over the coming weeks.

You can find the New Player Guide hub here and our Eight Essential MMO Terms guide here!
    I loved these guides... but the links to them are now broken, it seems.
    Do they work for others? If not, can somebody please fix these links?

Thank you.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/232210000001108ea/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

PDF Manual?

Quickstart guide recommends downloading the PDF Manual from Lotro.com to answer all my questions. Like how do you enter 'decorate mode' in your house?
    I don't mind downloading the guide, but I can't find it anywhere. Help?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000131e58/01003/signature.png]Skalde[/charsig]

That manual is a bit out of date. You can find directions for where it's already hidden on your computer, and links to a lot of other, in many cases better, guides, here:

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Game_Guides

Quote Originally Posted by Tsudonym View Post
    Quickstart guide recommends downloading the PDF Manual from Lotro.com to answer all my questions. Like how do you enter 'decorate mode' in your house?
    I don't mind downloading the guide, but I can't find it anywhere. Help?
    My guess is that the guide was removed with the forum revamp a while ago. I can tell you that you can enter decoration mode by clicking one of the icons at the edge of your minimap (it looks like a bundle of flowers and is only visible when in your house or garden). For other questions you can check out my guide or ask on these forums.
    Fordil of Landroval, Minstrel officer of The Alliance

Check out my Guide for New Players: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?507561-GUIDE-New-to-LOTRO-hints-and-tips

active EU servers?

what's best gameworld with active players (european time) (belgium)
    any idea? i play in meneldor now my name is unsoy but most people are online at night.

Quote Originally Posted by huseyin View Post
    what's best gameworld with active players (european time) (belgium)
    any idea? i play in meneldor now my name is unsoy but most people are online at night.
    Hi Huseyin,

I'm from Belgium too, and I play on Landroval. It's a US-based server, but there is still a lot of activity during our evening times (a bit less in the afternoon, but still not bad). If you want a server with a real majority of EU players, you can try out the EU-based servers (Laurelin - RP-server, Snowbourn). In general, it shouldn't matter that much anymore since the populations are balancing out, you only have to watch out for servers which are dominated by other languages (French: Estel, Sirannon; German: Maiar, Morthond, Vanyar, Belegaer, Gwaihir; Russian: Fornost, Mirkwood).

Should you decide to join Landroval, look me up (Fordil, lvl 95 minstrel of The Alliance kinship).

Have fun & happy hunting!
    Fordil of Landroval, Minstrel officer of The Alliance

Check out my Guide for New Players: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?507561-GUIDE-New-to-LOTRO-hints-and-tips

Hi guys !

hi guys....i´m new here..so i´ve started to play with an elf champion but i dont understand a lot of the class....can anyone give me some lights abouit it please?

Smile Thank you

Hi i am new here....
    Your links to the new player guide will be v usefull...thank you

Quote Originally Posted by FordyTwo View Post
    Hey there,

Thanks for all your help to community newbies.