We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

questing after level 30

i have a free lotro account and have recently hit level 30. i have only a small amount of fellowship quests and epic quest. are there any good questing areas that you dont need to unlock the content for?

Re: questing after level 30

Lonelands is the highest of the free content which should bring you to the 30+ levels. If you've already finished it I'd recommend going back and finishing deeds in the areas you've been through, go quest in the other starter areas you may have missed and finished their deeds, or start a second character and take them up through to the Lonelands. Doing any of these will earn you the free TP you need to unlock another higher quest zone and then you'll be able to continue on into your 40's, etc.

The only other way to level past 30 without unlocking quest zones is to just go into the higher level zones and grind mobs for the xp and task board turn-ins, do skirmishes and instances you have access to (since you can scale them to your level), etc.
    New Player? Check out this chart for Quest Pack access for different accounts/purchases. [URL]http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?427692-LotRO-Account-Quest-Pack-Access-Chart&p=5778210#post5778210[/URL]

German version here: [URL]http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?429055-HdRO-chart[/URL]

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c2140000000179b7/signature.png]Kualo[/charsig]

The free areas are: The Shire, Erin Luin, Bree-Land, and Lone Lands. If you've quested through all of those, make sure you've done most/all of the deeds for TP in them. Do your race/class deeds and get reputation with Bree-men and the Eglain. If you've done all that you should have over 700 TP and should be able to buy a new quest pack. Your likely options would be North Downs, Evendim, or Trollshaws. My recommendation would be for Evendim. At level 30, you'll find a bunch of North Downs quests already grey to you. Also North Downs has a large number of fellowship quests so if you find you don't group up to do those kinds of quests, that reduces the number of quests to you. Most of the quests in the Trollshaws are a bit high level to a level 30 character.

Evendim or Trollshaws.
    Also skirmishes are much faster xp than you will get questing at 30. The downside is you tend to miss deeds.
    Dont let the free skirmishes put you off. Tuckborough is one of the hardest and gondamon is the mosst time consuming.
    Thievery and mischief and Prancing Pony are both fast and easy.

If you want to experience the beaty of lotro and not just leveling then buy all quest packs, no big deal, you can buy them for free with free tps

Quote Originally Posted by vladesch View Post
    But not free - you have to buy them in the store.

Quote Originally Posted by vladesch View Post
    Tuckborough is one of the hardest and gondamon is the mosst time consuming.
    You've piqued my curiosity. I like skirmishes but am a bit put off by the price. How much faster are these two than Siege of Gondamond (which I play a lot). If you could buy only one, which would you recommend?

If I had to choose only one, based on how fast it is, I would choose Defense of the Prancing Pony. Not to mention, a whole lot less running about.

im around lvl 32 and 33 on my mains, i actually bought lone lands when it wasnt free and got north downs now trollshaws. The better question is? Is it me or does this game die ugly at lvl 30? Trollshaws had a couple quests then the next area is surrounded by lvl 36 elite trolls or 36-39 bears. I like to solo mostly dont mind grinding as a big part of quests but im getting all group quests or nothing... i did a look to see how many where on map in trollshaws and there was only one person besides myself??? I dont like dungeons as i dont like to group with strangers in mmo's that expect you to be an expert in a dungeon before you ever go there, so tired of flaming ??????s and thats why im searching for a nice relaxing game and i found that greatly in this one.. untill lvl 32. sry for mis-spells and such but tried to change somethings and this forum is set on overwrite and i dont see ez how to change..

Ty for any tips as i love the Tolkien Storyline and have enjoyed playing this game for the last couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
    im around lvl 32 and 33 on my mains, i actually bought lone lands when it wasnt free and got north downs now trollshaws. The better question is? Is it me or does this game die ugly at lvl 30? Trollshaws had a couple quests then the next area is surrounded by lvl 36 elite trolls or 36-39 bears. I like to solo mostly dont mind grinding as a big part of quests but im getting all group quests or nothing... i did a look to see how many where on map in trollshaws and there was only one person besides myself??? I dont like dungeons as i dont like to group with strangers in mmo's that expect you to be an expert in a dungeon before you ever go there, so tired of flaming ??????s and thats why im searching for a nice relaxing game and i found that greatly in this one.. untill lvl 32. sry for mis-spells and such but tried to change somethings and this forum is set on overwrite and i dont see ez how to change..

Ty for any tips as i love the Tolkien Storyline and have enjoyed playing this game for the last couple months.
    North Downs is meant to be between Lone Lands and Trollshaws in the leveling up progression.
    [center]Elendilmir - Rimsilval[/center]
    [color=green][center]Arness Hunter; Ashuri, Champ, Rozie LM, Velan Minstrel; Kynra Captain; Ryssa RK;[/color][/center]

Trollshaws was not meant to be a zone you can level straight through in. It has too few quests (70 something I think?) that cover too large a level range (high 30's to 50 or so?). I think that's why Rivendell has so many quests sending you off to other zones, like Evendim and Misty Mountains.

Your best bet is to do the quests you can do, then go to another zone and quest for a few levels, and then come back to Trollshaws to continue. Or just do what a lot of other players do and skip the zone entirely.
    New Player? Check out this chart for Quest Pack access for different accounts/purchases. [URL]http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?427692-LotRO-Account-Quest-Pack-Access-Chart&p=5778210#post5778210[/URL]

German version here: [URL]http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?429055-HdRO-chart[/URL]

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c2140000000179b7/signature.png]Kualo[/charsig]

..Ty for any tips as i love the Tolkien Storyline and have enjoyed playing this game for the last couple months.
    Evendim in its new glory is THE PLACE TO BE for lvl 30+ to lvl 42+. The progression (beginning with the quest Oatmeal Problems granted by the grocer outside Radagast's tower in Ost Guruth, who sends you to the Forsaken Inn, when you are sent to Oatbarton, north of Brockenborings and the Shire) is so efficiently choreographed, you won't believe it. Rep with Wardens of Annuminas (after a bunch of Gift Mathoms you get for Shire rep) will hit Kindred before you know it, and you can grab the tasty steed.
    [I][COLOR=#daa520][FONT=comic sans ms]~ Occasional Taunter of Masked Badgers[/FONT][FONT=comic sans ms] ~[/FONT][/COLOR][/I]

THANK YOU all for giving such great answers! I will go back to Northdowns for a bit, get a few lvls and then come back to trollshaws. I'm close to tp for evindrim also. If not? im not afraid to buy some TP as they are constantly improving this game and I feel good to help with some $$. :+)

THANK YOU all for giving such great answers! I will go back to Northdowns for a bit, get a few lvls and then come back to trollshaws. I'm close to tp for evindrim also. If not? im not afraid to buy some TP as they are constantly improving this game and I feel good to help with some $$. :+)
    After ND, Evendim will be like a breath of fresh air. You won't regret it if you do choose to purchase it. However, Evendim is designed to take you from 30-31 to 40, so if you're much past that, you might look elsewhere for quest packs.

At this point I would say pick and choose either North Downs or Evendim. You're probably better skipping Trollshaws.

Evendim with the revamp is wonderful, especially if you are a solo player. And because it's "new" with the revamp there are more players there currently. Northdowns has more group quests, but not quite as many players so getting groups for some of those may be more difficult. But there is plenty of solo content there as well. Both are going to get you about the same levels.
    Firefoot: Elendale (hunter) Galorlas (champ) Grimlaff (warden) Corny (warg)

Another vote here for Evendim. As a "first" quest pack purchase for when you exhaust the free content, it is the best that there is. Plus if you start with the Oatbarton/Dwaling quests you will get tons of Gift Mathoms that will really help you get Mathom House Rep, and then from doing all the Evendim proper quests you will easily just from questing be able to hit kindred with Wardens of Annuminas.
    [color=teal]Officer and Co-Founding Member,[/color] [url=http://www.kismetbp.com]Ring of Destiny[/url]
    [color=silver]Gladden server[/color]
    [i][color=yellow]Á auta mornië! i cala tula lennar! ("Flee, darkness! The light comes upon you!")[/color][/i]

So to sum it up: You are out of FREE content, except for the Epic quest series. Epic quests are great, and hit every zone, but there aren't enough of them for leveling purposes.

It is now time for you to purchase a quest pack with Turbine Points. Most would recommend Evendim; if you can only afford one quest pack and you mostly solo, it's a great zone.

However, this does not have to cost you MONEY. If you don't have enough points to buy it, you can go do DEEDS (not quests) in the free zones you have not yet adventured in, like the Shire and/or Ered Luin. Finish any deeds you have in your log. That will give you more points.

If you still don't have enough, then start a new character. It can be on any server. Level them up to 20-ish and do as many deeds as you can. Repeat until you have as many points as you need.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

As a VIP even I would pay extra for Evendim if I needed to. It is the sweet spot in the leveling curve you will need, and I think it is a gorgeous zone compared to North Downs, which as others have said, much will be low level to you at 30.
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][URL="http://houseofthemoriquendi.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?GuildID=164537&TabID=1393866"][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Sienna][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000005e3/01003/signature.png]Dralon[/charsig][/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]

I have to agree with Evendim as the revamp has created a much more fluid and enjoyable trip through those lands starting in OatBarton NE of the Shire. The new stables and Swift Travel options make it much faster and fun, but I'll miss Everswim *sniff*.
    Skirmishes are nice for quick leveling, but I personally felt out of the loop in questing when I used skirmishes to bypass levels. I felt rushed and kind of lost when compared to running quests for levels, but that is also an option. Skirmishes also offer deeds that give TP, but they require a lot of time spent re-running the same skirms and soloing them can become mind-numbing.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000017bf4c/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by elendurfarseeker View Post
    You've piqued my curiosity. I like skirmishes but am a bit put off by the price. How much faster are these two than Siege of Gondamond (which I play a lot). If you could buy only one, which would you recommend?
    Thievery and Mischief is an offensive skirmish just like Tuckborough. You go point to point advancing through the area, stopping at each control point to fend off a counter attack or two. Unlike Tuck, it doesn't have any NPCs to protect. I wouldn't say it's really much faster than Tuck, but it is more linear in that you advance along a set path through a snowed in Bree rather than running all over a hillside. Overall it's one of my favourites, but more for the ambience of a snowbound night time Bree than for any particular gameplay reason.

Defending The Pony is a defensive skirmish like Gondamon, except you don't have to run around at all. You park yourself outside the Pony and fend off waves of enemies all the while preventing torch bearing brigands from torching the Pony. It definitely is much faster than Gondamon, and easier as well. It's not one of my personal favourites as I don't particularly enjoy the defensive skirms, but if you already like Gondamon then you'll probably love this one.

I agree, T&M is my favorite skirmish of all, and the best offensive skirmish you get till you start hitting Dannenglor and Rift etc. at endgame.

I dont like DotPP as much because I hate having to wait for the monsters to spawn and get to you, and the waves seem to take forever...T&M is linear, its compact, and you can set your own pace through the mission. And, with no NPCs to help anyway, you can rush ahead and meet the counterattacks at their spawn point instead of waiting for them to reach you. Makes it IMO the most efficient skirm to run, especially for classes that can put out decent sustained DPS and not need a lot of downtime.

That being said, skirms dont earn you TP but QPs do, so unless the skirms are on sale, I'd get Evendim now and save your TPs for more QPs afterward, like MM or Forochel or Eregion.
    Last edited by droid; May 05 2011 at 01:13 PM.