We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

First legendary item quest clarification.

How involved exactly is picking up the first LI from Volume 2?

I have a level 45 that is happy and loaded with Misty Mountain quests that look interesting and are at the right levels. I know that I could go into Eregion and pick up my first LI and that doing so would mean that I start leveling the LI earlier. I went to Rivendell and picked up the beginning of Volume 2. But I don't want to go down Book 2 in Eregion and level there, thereby making the quests I have now uninteresting.

How far into Book 2 do I have to go to pick up a LI ? How many levels would I gain when starting from lvl45 until I get it?
    Last edited by silcat; Jan 04 2011 at 12:50 PM.

Re: First legendary item quest clarification.

I'll have to go by memory a bit -- it's been a while -- there are quests that start at the entry to an area in Eregion called "The Walls of Moria"; two types of quests; I believe they are called "Expeditionary Quests" and Epic"; if you do not complete the expeditionary quests before you finish the epic series, you can't go back and finish them.

Without stealing any of the surprise, the epic series will take you into the first "room" of Moria. You'll get your first Legenday WEAPON -- not the Legendary class item -- before you get to that point; you will be told to level up that weapon before proceeding with the quest line.

I recommend you do both the expeditionary quests and those leading into the Mines of Moria; they can all be done solo, although you will be hard-pressed at level 45, especially in a shared instance cave with lots of half-orcs (Filogan, IIRC).

I'd expect that you'd gain a level-and-a-half going through that process; however, I'm guessing because the rate of leveling has been so dramatically increased since I went through on all seven of my level 65 toons.

Note that your LI is not going to level killing lower level mobs in the Misty Mountains.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d000000024683/01001/signature.png]Kreegan[/charsig][/CENTER]
    [COLOR=teal][SIZE=1]ALTS: Schartestuffe - 65HNT/SMK Woodworker/SM Farmer || Maggae - 65MNS/SMK Jeweler/SM Cook || BilaeBaub - 65BRG/SMK Tailor || Ealkimme - 65LM/SMK Scholar/SM Weaponsmith || Koracion - 65RK/SMK Tailor || Ealmariah - 65WRD/SMK Weaponsmith || Ealdaebwen - 47CPT|| Kraeli - 39CHM || Kittenne - 26MNS[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I just did this quest over the weekend and I believe the mobs were level 50ish. There is a cave with quite a few quests inside that involve multiple mob pulls that might be a bit tough at your level. I wouldn't worry too much about leveling your legendary weapon. I got most of the improvements I needed for mine in the first couple of hours of playing. And apparently from people have told me in the other thread I made about LI's, you will most likely throw away your first legendary in a couple of levels for something better anyway.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000001d699c/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Thanks, guys. Looks like it might be better to do my MM business first.

Which quest, specifically, has the first LW as a reward?

Hmm, can't remember the quest name, and I don't want to give away what happens. But you will not be confused...there's only a handful of quests. I get easily overwhelmed by quests, and it was a piece of cake for me. I think there were maybe 10 or so very minor quests at the gates of Moria. They're simple quests too, all of which take place in that little zone. Once you actually acquire the weapon, you have to go back and forth to Rivendell to have different things done to the weapon. But after that you're golden, you do a small solo instance, enter Moria, and start kicking butt.

Good luck!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000001d699c/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

And that means I can grab the weapon and start "feeding it" without having to complete the Epic book and therefore disabling expeditionary quests, right?

It's finishing the 1st book in volume 2 that disables the latter?

This is all very hard to plan. Maybe I should roll a test-alt first

Quote Originally Posted by silcat View Post
    And that means I can grab the weapon and start "feeding it" without having to complete the Epic book and therefore disabling expeditionary quests, right?

It's finishing the 1st book in volume 2 that disables the latter?

This is all very hard to plan. Maybe I should roll a test-alt first
    No, that's not correct. About 2/3 of the way through Vol 2 Book 1 you will get your first LI weapon. The "expedition" quests become disabled BEFORE you get that weapon. You cannot get your first LI weapon and do the expedition quests after that, the quest chain scripting does not allow you to do that. If you want to do all the expedition quests in Vol 2 Book 1, you must complete them before you receive your first LI weapon.

You will get a warning message telling you when you have reached that point in the quest chain, so as long as you pay attention to the quest instructions when you pick them up, you will know when you have reached the "point of no return" for the expedition quests. If you have not completed all the expedition quests and you get the wearning message from the appropriate epic quest, decline that quest, finish off the expedition quests, then go back to the epic quests.

The expedition quests are 100% optional, you do not miss anything important if you do not complete them.
    Therina - Hobbit Guard Rongo - Hobbit Warden
    Frood - Man Minstrel Garmun - Man Captain
    Zorosi - Dwarf Champ Froodaroon - Elf Hunter
    Southern Defenders - Arkenstone (formerly Elendilmir)

Thanks, Gareth.

That's what I needed to know. I'll do the cool looking other quests first and then go for the LW.

I also have to do the Volume 1 epic storyline. I got stuck on the "Gates of Carn Dun" because I just can't keep the NPC from committing suicide and the quest is very long, so incentive to re-try is low. I should probably get that one done when I gained a couple levels in MM, then go Volume 2.

I just did this quest line last night on my lvl 45 cappy. All of the mobs that you fight are lvl 50. I skipped the expeditionary quests and just went for my legendary weapon. It took me about an hour and I gained a little over a third of a level of XP while doing it. I have also, done this quest recently on my LM and Hunter both at level 45 as well and made it just fine. It is a really fun quest line and the story is pretty cool as well. Good Luck!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000001e7ae7/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Yeah, it was no problem.

To update people: it is indeed the right idea to pick up the LI and the beginning of Moria/Book2 at level 45 or so.

The quests there (both lines) are much easier than the end of book 1. You can grab the LI without leveling too much. Book 2 hardens up and gets grindy afterwards but that's a good opportunity to either finish book 1 (infested with badly adjusted inspired greatness) or go to Goblin-Town or Forochel. You'll level your new LI that way. There's also legendary book pages and level 45 class quest as an incentive to test your new LI on unsuspecting Angmar or Misty Mountain inhabitants.

My hunter just hit 45 and was wondering about this too.

Where do you find the expeditionary & epic Volume 2 quests to get into Moria?

I thought Rivendell, but haven't seen anything yet... granted, I haven't looked that hard yet.

You need to go to the Echad Dunann camp in Eregion. South of Rivendell is a valley with dragons and giants, Eregion is south of that valley. Echad Dunann is in the southeast part of Eregion.

An easier but longer way to get to Eregion is to go to the Echad Candelleth camp in the south part of the Trollshaws.
    http://mehq.net/dynmap/index.php?mapId=9
    On that map, Echad Candelleth is where those green dots are just above the word Bruinen in the south of the map.

From there go to the Garbert's cottage by the river (one of the green dots below the word Bruinen). You can cross over the river in front of that cottage and there is a trail going up a slope. Follow that trail and it will get you into Eregion without having to fight any mobs.

So now you're in Eregion.
    http://dynmap.ruslotro.com/#Eregion
    You're near Gwingris which is in the upper left part of the second map. In the botton right part of the second map is The Walls of Moria. Echad Dunann is left and a little north of the Walls of Moria. That's where you need to go.

When you get to Echad Dunann, near the stable master NPC is a dwarf standing next to a large gateway that has the glowing instance entry effect. That dwarf is the NPC that starts Volume 2 Book 1, which is the epic book that gives you your first legendary weapon.

Funny, I found the campfire in Eregion, north of Echad Dunann last week. I went there after posting and found the dwarf that starts the quest chain. Thanks for confirming it!

Chapter 7 is the last quest before the expidition quests get locked out.

Thanks for this thread! I travelled all over Eregion looking for someone to spark the quest. Great game but sometimes so vague. Or is that just me?

There are also prologue quests to book 2 which you probably missed - some very short and easy quests in Rivendell in which you help the fellowship to prepare their departure. The cutszene at the end is really nice

Though, if you do that prologue, you get sent to Echad Dunann by Elrond and have at least a questmarker.

BTW, some more reasons to get those LIs as soon as possible: Some classes don't get a class item til their first LI, personally I wanted my first emblem asap. And besides the LIs, you get some lvl 50 gear as quest rewards during that first book which is probably better than anything you can buy or craft at that level - and it being quest rewards, you can certainly equip it at 45.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]"HELP!!!!??"[/COLOR] is not an appropriate thread title.
    Only fools use [COLOR="#FF0000"]apostrophes[/COLOR] in a plural. That's when they're called fool's apostrophes.

I've recently hit 45 and started book two on my warden, I recieved my first LI. Unfortunatly it was my javelin. So I was wandering if the quest continues on to give your your other LI? Cause i took the chain as far as i could for my level. I can no longer get more quest from the dwarf outside the wall because im just too low level.

17. Re: First legendary item quest clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Garadyn View Post
    I've recently hit 45 and started book two on my warden, I recieved my first LI. Unfortunatly it was my javelin. So I was wandering if the quest continues on to give your your other LI? Cause i took the chain as far as i could for my level. I can no longer get more quest from the dwarf outside the wall because im just too low level.
    Try again at level 46
    [FONT=Ariel Unicode MS][COLOR=violet]?[/COLOR]ª"˜¨¨[COLOR=dodgerblue]?[/COLOR]ª"˜¨¨ ¯ ¯¨¨˜ª¤.¸`*•.¸*•¸[COLOR=darkorchid]?[/COLOR][SIZE="1"]?[/SIZE][COLOR=lightgreen]?[/COLOR] [B][SIZE="3"][COLOR=orchid]LOTRO[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][COLOR=lightgreen]?[/COLOR][SIZE="1"]?[/SIZE][COLOR=darkorchid]?[/COLOR]¸•*¸.•*´¸.¤ª˜¨¨¯¯¨¨˜"ª[COLOR=dodgerblue]?[/COLOR]¨¨˜"ª[COLOR=violet]?[/COLOR][/FONT]

is there a quest pack ill need for the expeditionary quests? pretty sure there is but it doesnt hurt to ask...just wanna know wth im doing when i hit 45

No, you don't need any quest packs, it is part of the Epic Quest line and free to all.
    [COLOR="#800080"][FONT=Arial Black]A Vote for Sapience is still a vote for progress![/FONT][/COLOR]

Here's another pre-LI question: before you get your first Legendary item, there are a bunch of opportunities to do quests that give you Legendary Item experience. Is that experience wasted if you don't have a legendary item yet, or does it keep track and bank the experience until you actually get an item that can use it?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000006cb29/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I actually just did this a few days ago. There isn't very much you have to do to get the first LI. The expedition quests are more challenging and you might need a buddy to help out (I needed one to complete one objective) but they're mostly solo-able. The epic quests are really easy.

I would recommend doing them just to get your item then you can go back to questing in Misty Mountains. If I recall it's Chapter 9 where you get the weapon.

Myself, I'm not even questing in Eregion yet. I'm still half way through my Vol 1 Epic. So after getting my LI, I went back to continue on my own path.

Edit to add: You also get some good regular items in these quests so you can upgrade armor/jewelry/etc then the LI is icing on the cake
    Last edited by BigLotroFan; May 16 2011 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grendaran View Post
    Is that experience wasted if you don't have a legendary item yet, or does it keep track and bank the experience until you actually get an item that can use it?
    I, too, am curious about this. I already have a quest or two that I am hesitant to hand in without an LI.

To the best of my knowledge, if you complete a quest that has item xp as part of the quest reward, it is wasted if you do not have any legendary items equipped. Item xp is not "banked" anywhere if you do not have any legendary items equipped.

All level 51 and higher quests give item xp as well as character xp. Once you start using legendary items, all monster kills give seperate item xp (as long as the monster is high enough to give you xp at all, grey monsters will not give any xp)

Personally I wouldn't worry about handing in quests with item xp rewards if you are not using legendary items yet, there are pleanty of repeatable quests that give item xp (you can make up for the "lost" item xp later with the repeatable quests).

Smile Re: First legendary item quest clarification.

There is no need to stress getting the first LIs, the experience you get leveling from 45-50 killing mobs or doing skirmishes can be recovered doing repeatable quests. Most item experience later go for deconstruction purposes (items at lvl 11).

By the way, unless you have RP reasons, you don't need to worry about getting a very "final" (LI until the max level which in few days will be 75 (every shiny LI outdated lol). Prolly your first LI (which is lvl 51) will have better tier legacies than many others you'll find so you can keep it even until lvl 60.
    The Signature