We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

VIP to Premium question

I've been looking around to figure out exactly what I would gain/lose by subbing for one month then downgrading back to Premium. From what I found so far I know that downgrading from VIP to Premium ...

You Keep:
    2 Extra Bag Slots
    Gold Cap removal
    Traits Slots
    Virtues
    Riding Skill (if trained during VIP)

You Lose:
    PvMP (at least until Isengard)
    Extra Character Slots
    Swift Travel
    Access to yet-un-purchased quest packs

So, given that (which I hope and assume is accurate so far) I have a few questions for those that have downgraded from VIP to Premium.

For Trait slots, do you permanently unlock all Trait Slots on your current characters or only the ones you have already unlocked via level? For example, say I have a level 21 character who currently is Premium with 1 TP-locked Virtue slot and 3 level-locked Virtue slots. When I upgrade to VIP, I will unlock the TP-locked slot immediately. If I downgrade to Premium before unlocking the last 3 level-locked slots by leveling, will I have to unlock them with TPs or will they be available as soon as I level up?

For the Wardrobe, Premium does not have access to the Wardrobe (without unlocking it with TP) but VIPs get the first 10 slots. If I downgrade to Premium, do I still get these 10 slots or does the Wardrobe go back to being unlocked via TP?

For Crafting Guilds, I heard that Premium must unlock Crafting Guild reputations beyond Acquaintance standing via TP but VIPs have no such limit. If I downgrade from VIP to Premium, does that unlock stay? Do I need to be a member of the Crafting Guild prior to downgrading? Do I need to get my reputation beyond that standing first?

Thanks.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c2140000000678a7/01003/signature.png]Tellen[/charsig]

Re: VIP to Premium question

http://lotro.mmorsel.com/2010/09/bes...ount-type.html

The chart at the bottom answers a number of your questions.

Basically, logging into the character while VIP gets you ALL the trait slots. Crafting guild rep is only free to the end of the current teir unless you're currently a VIP or purchase the unlock

Wardrobe- You can put things in the wardrobe while VIP and cosmetically equip them while Premium. You can continue to dye items in the wardrobe while premium. The number of slots drops from 10 to 0 unless you pay for them, so you can't put additional items in, and there's no point to deleting items from the wardrobe until you've purchased slots.

My wardrobe currently has 10/0 items in it.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

-Trait slots are unlocked permanently regardless of level at the time.
    -I don't think swift travel is removed from the downgrade anymore.
    -Your VIP wardrobe slots will be lost, meaning you cannot add new costumes but can keep what you already have stored.
    -And you will need to purchase the crafting guild (per type per account) as a premium player.
    Hope that helped!

Excellent chart, and that does answer all of my questions, thanks!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c2140000000678a7/01003/signature.png]Tellen[/charsig]

The only thing not mentioned above is rest experience, under Premium it's not on by default, you gain XP at the standard rate unless you purchase something to accelerate it. With VIP you have no choice, there is no way to not have increased XP gain.

"Sometimes survival comes down to not being hit. Actually, most times." -the chicken skill, Bob and Weave
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post
    there is no way to not have increased XP gain.
    Most confusing double-negative of the day.

In other words, VIPs get better XP gain because they can always get rest XP when not playing.
    [CENTER][SIZE=3][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Lime]Have Questions? Get the Answers Here![/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][COLOR=Green][I]The Answers to Your Questions Thread![/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][URL]http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?335135-Answers-to-Your-Questions[/URL][/SIZE]
    [I]I'm the leader of [URL="http://haruelo.com"]The Haruchai and the Elohim[/URL], an Arkenstone kin which has been around since June 2007.
    Contact me if interested in a fun Arkenstone kin.[/I] :)
    [/CENTER]

You do keep swift travel, apparently....I just downgraded and I was worried, but I'm still able to use the south/west Bree route, which I wasnt able to as F2P before.

Also of note is AH slots, you keep 5 per char when you go down from VIP. You also, I'm pretty sure, keep the ability to mail money, though I'm not sure if you can COD as Premium or only VIP.

You do lose the ability to spend your Destiny Points, so if you're not planning on returning to VIP status you might want to log in at least once per char over the last few days of your VIP status and cash out your DP into banked bonus XP (not the XP accelerator, but the blue-XP boost). You can only spend 1250 DP per char per day on that (5 uses), but thats really the only thing that's worth it, and its not a tiny boost either, maybe 10-15% to next level each click

Of course, if PvMP goes F2P in Isengard, then F2P might be able to spend their DP too, so play the odds as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Also of note is AH slots, you keep 5 per char when you go down from VIP. You also, I'm pretty sure, keep the ability to mail money, though I'm not sure if you can COD as Premium or only VIP.
    The ability to trade money (via mail, or the trade window) is part of a bump to premium. Thus it is retained for all Characters once you have it (you can never go down from Premium).

Quote Originally Posted by Bethien View Post
    -Trait slots are unlocked permanently regardless of level at the time.
    I know the trait slots you've earned as VIP are not lost, but you keep the next traits? e.g. If you downgrade and your char is level 39, are the class traits of levels 53 and 57 still awarded? Or do you have to unlock it with TP?

Thanks in advance!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000024bd9c/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [B][URL="http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/What_We_Wish_Other_Classes_Knew_About_Minstrels"]What we wish other classes knew about minstrels[/URL][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by mordredrs View Post
    I know the trait slots you've earned as VIP are not lost, but you keep the next traits? e.g. If you downgrade and your char is level 39, are the class traits of levels 53 and 57 still awarded? Or do you have to unlock it with TP?

Thanks in advance!
    Yes, you keep the ability to access all the slots, but you still have to wait until the appropriate level before the slots will open. This includes all of the Legendary Trait slots.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenara View Post
    Yes, you keep the ability to access all the slots, but you still have to wait until the appropriate level before the slots will open. This includes all of the Legendary Trait slots.
    But will they open without spending TP?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000024bd9c/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [B][URL="http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/What_We_Wish_Other_Classes_Knew_About_Minstrels"]What we wish other classes knew about minstrels[/URL][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by mordredrs View Post
    But will they open without spending TP?
    Yes.

/10chars
    [CENTER][SIZE=3][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Lime]Have Questions? Get the Answers Here![/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][COLOR=Green][I]The Answers to Your Questions Thread![/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][URL]http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?335135-Answers-to-Your-Questions[/URL][/SIZE]
    [I]I'm the leader of [URL="http://haruelo.com"]The Haruchai and the Elohim[/URL], an Arkenstone kin which has been around since June 2007.
    Contact me if interested in a fun Arkenstone kin.[/I] :)
    [/CENTER]

OK so I have read this forum but I am still trying to understand what would happen in my case.

I have been playing game since May, before F2P started, and have been a VIP member since.
    I have a level 63 and a level 34 toon that I play the most, with a level 30 toon that I use as a crafter.
    I have purchased to Siege of Mirkwood.

So what will I lose if I downgrade my account to Premium? Will I lose stuff against all my characters or just character specific? (ie my level 34 toon must purchase quest packs but my level 63 does not)

Will I be able to play the game as I normally have without paying the monthly fees since I have purchased Siege of Mirkwood?

Quote Originally Posted by jr84 View Post
    OK so I have read this forum but I am still trying to understand what would happen in my case.

I have been playing game since May, before F2P started, and have been a VIP member since.
    I have a level 63 and a level 34 toon that I play the most, with a level 30 toon that I use as a crafter.
    I have purchased to Siege of Mirkwood.

So what will I lose if I downgrade my account to Premium? Will I lose stuff against all my characters or just character specific? (ie my level 34 toon must purchase quest packs but my level 63 does not)

Will I be able to play the game as I normally have without paying the monthly fees since I have purchased Siege of Mirkwood?
    Just addressing the quest pack part:

You will lose all quest packs except the starter ones and the lone lands. This will affect all your characters present and future, so your level 63 couldn't go do deeds in Evendim without purchasing the quest pack first.

Assuming that your level 63 has unfinished deeds/quests in an area you haven't purchased already in the log but not completed, those can still be completed, but the next teir (advanced slayer deeds) or next quests in a chain won't be startable without purchasing the area.

Quest packs are at the account level.

another thing that your gonna miss out on if u downgrade is being able to do any of the "classic" instances since u will need to purchase evendim,eregion,misty mountais (and eventually angmar IF they end up scaling rift like they have claimed).

Well this all good info but i like to know i was F2p and then i went to VIP and now i can make up to 5 toons i have 2 used do to toon cap for F2p well what i want to know what will happen to my 3rd 4th and 5th guys if i downgraded to premium will i lose them or will i keep them?

Quote Originally Posted by Urunix View Post
    Well this all good info but i like to know i was F2p and then i went to VIP and now i can make up to 5 toons i have 2 used do to toon cap for F2p well what i want to know what will happen to my 3rd 4th and 5th guys if i downgraded to premium will i lose them or will i keep them?
    Premium accounts have 3 character slots, so you would need to choose which three characters you wanted to play. The other two would be locked out - not deleted - and you would not be able to access them until you either bought more character slots through the store or upgraded using a boxed edition (or online code) of Mines of Moria, which will add two more slots (giving you 7 while VIP for 30 days, and 5 when you revert back to Premium again).
    [center][color=cyan]I used to have a signature but it went away with the forum revamp.[/color]
    [color=gold]ARKENSTONE:[/color][color=tan] Mithraudecthel 85 Elf WDN; Ulroduil 85 Elf GRD;
    Dagorlaer 68 Elf MIN; Fortinagard 55 Hobbit WDN; Galagath 50 Elf HNT;
    Tedimore 45 Man BRG; Faenvenel 37 Elf RK; Fingaladan 31 Elf LM[/color][/center]

O ok ty that is helpful alot.