We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question When will Task quests and Task Bulletin Boards be in the Lorebook?

I'm having issues finding appropriate leveled Task Bulletin Boards in the game. When will these objects and their associated Task quests be available in the Lorebook?

Re: When will Task quests and Task Bulletin Boards be in the Lorebook?

Quote Originally Posted by Duwis View Post
    All I can say is... Soon(tm). Stars didn't align to have the data out there for release of the patch.
    I appreciate the quick response. I suppose I'll have to get to work reshuffling the constellations!

I'll check back in 6-12 months.

Duwis is offline The Lord of the Rings Online Team
    Turbine, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredelas View Post
    I'm having issues finding appropriate leveled Task Bulletin Boards in the game. When will these objects and their associated Task quests be available in the Lorebook?
    All I can say is... Soon(tm). Stars didn't align to have the data out there for release of the patch.

When will these objects and their associated Task quests be available in the Lorebook?
    Well, some guy named Fredelas put together this amazing Task System Guide here: http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Task_System_Guide (good job, by the way).

I'd like to see them in a sortable table instead of categories (so that I can easily see if task item A should be vended or if it'll be of use later on, and so I can see which tasks will likely be the easiest to grind up -- for instance, grinding up brigands and goblins in Ered Luin and The Shire will keep you set until at least level 26). That's here: http://lorebook.lotro.com/index.php?...nized_by_tasks (it's a work in progress). Thanks again for your guide, Fredalas.
    As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he joined the Smaug The Dragon raid. Then he asked for leadership, looted the chest, assigned himself the 1st age Arkenstone and mailed it to an alt (Bilbo's a VIP so can mail from anywhere). They did some PvMP and an Epic Battle, then he apologized and gave the Arkenstone back. He kept the pony.

Turbine, Inc.

I appreciate the quick response. I suppose I'll have to get to work reshuffling the constellations!

I'll check back in 6-12 months.
    We felt it... we felt the Cosmos. Check back now; the Lorebook has the task quests available.

There might be some work to be done to polish up their display and possibly get them into the advanced search, but the articles are there now.

Drop a line in this thread or via PM if you see things still missing or have suggestions on the look/feel.

Edit: The task quests are not the only thing in the Lorebook now. All the content for the 2.5 patch should be in the Lorebook now.
    Last edited by Duwis; Dec 07 2010 at 12:06 PM.

We felt it... we felt the Cosmos. Check back now; the Lorebook has the task quests available.

There might be some work to be done to polish up their display and possibly get them into the advanced search, but the articles are there now.

Drop a line in this thread or via PM if you see things still missing or have suggestions on the look/feel.

Edit: The task quests are not the only thing in the Lorebook now. All the content for the 2.5 patch should be in the Lorebook now.
    That's excellent news, Duwis! I appreciate you taking the time to get all the new content incorporated. I have a lot of linking to do now!

Edit: Any hints on how I should find the new quests, deeds, and "Tasks Bulletin Board" NPCs? I don't have game IDs for any of them yet, and the Advanced Search isn't yielding any results.

Edit again: I've found the task quests' IDs by following links from the character activity feed. It would be great to get the bulletin board NPCs in the Lorebook too and linked as quest starters from the task quest pages.

Edit yet again: Now that I've looked at one, I see it's been automatically categorized into Category:Task_Quests. Perfect!
    Last edited by Fredelas; Dec 07 2010 at 11:24 PM.

Does this mean we'll have a completed list of all taskboard 'quests'(the items, locations, levels, etc)? Searching task in the lorebook got me an 'Error has occurred, try again later' - lol.
    I'm an expert - look at my join date, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrywisdom View Post
    Does this mean we'll have a completed list of all taskboard 'quests'(the items, locations, levels, etc)? Searching task in the lorebook got me an 'Error has occurred, try again later' - lol.
    You can always start here.

Many of the tasks will have a single page for multiple tasks in different locations - i.e. Broken Wooden Clubs (Repeatable)
    Last edited by robnkarla; Dec 07 2010 at 02:33 PM.
    [size=2][u][url="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?328837-Sauron-vs.-Tom-Bombadil"]Sauron vs. Tom Bombadil[/url][/u][COLOR="Red"] ♪♫[/color][COLOR="DarkOrange"]A fun what-if video I hope lightens your day[/color][COLOR="Red"]♫♪[/color][/size]

After looking at this long list of Tasks in the Lorebook (thanks for this, by the way!) it is clear to me that these Tasks are clearly part of the Clean Middle Earth Campaign(tm), dedicated to making sure that adventurers and other hearty folk pick up after fighting their bloody battles. The ordinary folk were tired of seeing piles of goo and filth and stacks of carapaces littering the environment. Sure it may take a little incentive, but Middle Earth will be a better, greener place for it.

Quote Originally Posted by robnkarla View Post
    You can always start here.

Many of the tasks will have a single page for multiple tasks in different locations - i.e. Broken Wooden Clubs (Repeatable)
    Awesome, thanks for the links!

All this is not intended to be a complaint. I'm just striving for completeness and accuracy. I appreciate the work you've done!

Things still missing (or at least I'm unable to find them):

• The five task-related deeds
      • The five titles from those deeds
      • The five Task Rewards boxes from those deeds
        • The five non-store task limit increase items from those boxes
        • The three cloaks from those boxes
        • The non-store daily task reset item from those boxes

Some of the store items are in the entity database, but have empty pages. Other store items aren't even in the database.

• Empty page: The store daily task reset item 1879197290: Reset Task Count
    • The five store task limit increase items
      • Empty page: First rank 1879197800: Upgrade Task Limit (+1)
      • Missing: Second rank 1879201943: Upgrade Task Limit (+1)
      • Missing: Third rank 1879201944: Upgrade Task Limit (+1)
      • Missing: Fourth rank 1879201946: Upgrade Task Limit (+1)
      • Missing: Fifth rank 1879201945: Upgrade Task Limit (+1)

I've come up with a grand total of 278 distinct tasks. Does that sound correct? All the tasks listed by myself and other players were included in this Lorebook update, as well as a few we hadn't listed yet.

The task quests don't seem to be searchable by name, level, reputation, or description from the Lorebook yet. Does some indexing have to take place first? Has the addition of a new category and scope messed up the search?

There is no page for the NPC "Tasks Bulletin Board". Since there are 32 instances of that NPC offering 278 quests (and maybe more in the future), it would likely be a very messy page. Maybe I'll just put one big googlemap in the unofficial section.

I can't seem to use Lorebook special XML tags for NPCs without also specifying the name. According to the documentation, I thought I'd be able to use <npc id="1879049618" view="link" />, but this doesn't work if I don't include a name property. For example <npc id="1879049618" name="Hal Hornblower" view="link" /> does work, and <npc id="1879049618" name="The Wrong Name" view="link" /> does not work. I'd prefer not to have to include the name property, since you don't use it. That way, if hell ever freezes over and the Lorebook gets localized to French/German/Russian/Chinese, this article will be more portable and still have links that work.

I didn't use the <quest /> XML tag for task quest links, because their page names are disambiguated by adding (Repeatable) at the end, and I am afraid this will imply to readers that the other tasks that don't have that word are not repeatable. I would be more than happy if you just added Repeatable to all the quest names, or preferably removed Repeatable from the names and merged the pages.

Slightly related: I expected trophy items to be searchable with the item type "Other" and item subtype "Trophy", but that actually displays the mostly forgotten "Trophy" subtype. The advanced search seems to list the trophy items I want in a "Misc." type that I can't filter for. (I'm adding them all to a wiki category manually for now.)

Also, the official contents of all of the trash items were deleted during yesterday's update. The pages still exist and they still have their metadata intact. Maybe you're in the process of trying to link them as objectives to task quests?

Trophy items that were combined/replaced in V3B2 have tooltip discrepancies when linked using item IDs and with normal wiki links. For example, the paws --> furs and moss --> feathers conversion is causing problems at each loot level. Even if I use the correct item ID (determined empirically in-game), I get wrong icons and prices.

For an example, look at these search results and notice that the tooltips are different when you hover over either the icon or the name. The tooltips for view="link" seem to be correct, whereas for view="icon", they are incorrect. Sort by item level for easiest comparison.

Code:
    http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Special:Advancedsearch?type=item&action=search&item_type[]=all&name=fur&desc=trophies&min_i_level=&max_i_level=&min_r_level=&max_r_level=&min_armour=&max_armour=&min_dps=&max_dps=&min_damage=&max_damage=&min_slayer_bonus=&max_slayer_bonus=
    Edit: I lied, this is FIXED: Vendor values for trophy items are all (and yes, I mean ALL) wrong. At first, I thought I could just double the value displayed, but it turns out not all the prices were simply doubled. (A few seem to have been normalized by item level.)

Unrelated: The NPC advanced search is missing the Enedwaith region.

Annoyance: The CDN is still caching lorebook images I updated more than 24 hours ago.
    Last edited by Fredelas; Dec 08 2010 at 07:53 AM.

Turbine, Inc.

Things still missing (or at least I'm unable to find them):

• The five task-related deeds
    • The five titles from those deeds
    • The three cloaks from those boxes
    These have been added into the Lorebook.

• The five Task Rewards boxes from those deeds
    • The five non-store task limit increase items from those boxes
    • The non-store daily task reset item from those boxes

Some of the store items are in the entity database, but have empty pages. Other store items aren't even in the database.

[LIST][*]Empty page: The store daily task reset item 1879197290: Reset Task Count[*]The five store task limit increase items
    • Empty page: First rank 1879197800: Upgrade Task Limit (+1)
    • Missing: Second rank 1879201943: Upgrade Task Limit (+1)
    • Missing: Third rank 1879201944: Upgrade Task Limit (+1)
    • Missing: Fourth rank 1879201946: Upgrade Task Limit (+1)
    • Missing: Fifth rank 1879201945: Upgrade Task Limit (+1)
    I'll look into these at some point soon.

The task quests don't seem to be searchable by name, level, reputation, or description from the Lorebook yet. Does some indexing have to take place first? Has the addition of a new category and scope messed up the search?
    No, nothing is messed up with advanced search. Standard search is... having issues right now. We just need to get the new tasks, etc. into the advanced search index. That will be done in the next day or so.

There is no page for the NPC "Tasks Bulletin Board". Since there are 32 instances of that NPC offering 278 quests (and maybe more in the future), it would likely be a very messy page. Maybe I'll just put one big googlemap in the unofficial section.
    Yeah, I noticed that and will be looking into it.

I can't seem to use Lorebook special XML tags for NPCs without also specifying the name. According to the documentation,
    NPCs are an exception to that rule due to how they are implemented. Short version -- an NPC entry for a DID is a reusable model. There could be overrides that share that model but are given a different name. There are ideas around this to help avoid the name issue, but nothing we can roll out yet.

I didn't use the <quest /> XML tag for task quest links, because their page names are disambiguated by adding (Repeatable) at the end, and I am afraid this will imply to readers that the other tasks that don't have that word are not repeatable. I would be more than happy if you just added Repeatable to all the quest names, or preferably removed Repeatable from the names and merged the pages.
    A good suggestion; we'll look into how to better title these articles.

Unrelated: The NPC advanced search is missing the Enedwaith region.
    Noted... soon(tm)...

Annoyance: The CDN is still caching lorebook images I updated more than 24 hours ago.
    *nod* I can understand the frustration. We'll see what we can do.

I think my project is nearing completion, thanks to your efforts!

I have a suggestion regarding NPCs: perhaps add a separate instance/spawn property to alleviate name collisions. Of course, that would probably mean adding another column to your global resource id --> resource type --> resource name lookup table, which would be inefficient since NPC ids probably make up a small fraction of named resources.

(I've actually been manually scraping the spawn identifier for interesting NPCs from the googlemap javascript on pages that feature a map, so I know you have them available somehow. I'm just not sure where you keep them and how exactly they're used.)

I have one last question:

On wiki pages that combine content from several identically named resources, their resource ids are listed in a seemingly random order. Metadata are also listed for each of the resources; do they happen to be in the same order as the ids are listed?

Here's an example with 4 identically named resources on one page:
    http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Quest:Task:_Large_Filth_(Repea table)

Turbine, Inc.

I have a suggestion regarding NPCs: perhaps add a separate instance/spawn property to alleviate name collisions. Of course, that would probably mean adding another column to your global resource id --> resource type --> resource name lookup table, which would be inefficient since NPC ids probably make up a small fraction of named resources.
    It's a tricky prospect; my favorite example is Gandalf. He appears in numerous places, so there are many records tied to the Gandalf model DID. Because we build the tag based on name, we can mush together all the various instances into one page. Again, it's one of those brain teasing exceptions to the game data that we want to solve in a way that is useful for us and the community.

On wiki pages that combine content from several identically named resources, their resource ids are listed in a seemingly random order. Metadata are also listed for each of the resources; do they happen to be in the same order as the ids are listed?
    Yes, they should be.

Yes, they should be.
    Outstanding! Thank you, yet again.

Many thanks to the both of you ! Can't wait for it to be fully fleshes out - I've got 7 characters; all of which are in different level ranges and it's been an absolute pain trying to run around and find locations on each! Hopefully we'll get a map icon in a future update though!

Quote Originally Posted by Starrywisdom View Post
    Many thanks to the both of you ! Can't wait for it to be fully fleshes out - I've got 7 characters; all of which are in different level ranges and it's been an absolute pain trying to run around and find locations on each! Hopefully we'll get a map icon in a future update though!
    I made map with all the locations plus their task levels for the exact same reason:

http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/NPC:Tasks_Bulletin_Board

Strangely, although the map coordinates seem to be entered correctly, they're occasionally translated strangely in the bubbles into Moria and Mirkwood regions and areas.

I plan to split the big list at http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Task_System_Guide into the individual regional pages once I and a couple other contributors are finished adding a few more details.
    Last edited by Fredelas; Dec 08 2010 at 12:22 PM.