We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

bot use suspicion - what to do?

Hi all, I just saw a player that I think is using a bot to play LOTRO, what sould I do if anything?

Re: bot use suspicion - what to do?

That's interesting. What was the bot doing? oh and not sure about what you can do, lol. I guess you can email Turbine. Hopes that helps.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000023377f/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Wow, and here I thought botting was pretty much limited to games that had a strong RMT presence...something that I thought was pretty much a non-issue in LotRO.

I'm pretty curious as to why you think they were a bot, too.

Investigate yourself for one.. gather some evidence helps as well.

Just be sure the player wasn't just afk for a min with the map up and Autorun on.. I've come back a few times myself from the map screen to find im running nowhere fast into some corner of Bree.

Ask them some questions or interact with them.. a accusation of "botting" is an accusation of cheating.. and you don't want to be wrong

We have some rather unsavory peeps in our server & a few scams floating around that ive seen openly discussed in open channels.. Bots.. are the least of your worrys
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c21400000009d2d6/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

When in doubt, report.

There's hardly anything a player can do that can Guaranty that what you "learn" is true about a possible botter. Leave that to Turbine.

Asking someone any thing, whether in /t or /s or w/e, does not guaranty that they'll answer you. As players, we're not Required to answer ANYONE except someone with a +Name.
    [COLOR=red][/COLOR]Retired.

Actually, I have thought the same thing in some remote or starter areas with the training dummy spots. The same person (or two or three persons) standing there the entire 12 hours I play making special attacks on a training dummy, and only moving a little.

It reminded me of the old days in Asheron's Call when you could just stand in a training area and auto target / auto attack and leave your PC on for days until you had become the god champion of a particular skill. (for those who did not know, the more you used a skill in AC, the better it became - so if I level myself solo to L20 melee, my sword skill will be better than yours if you grouped and power leveled - because you used the skill less). Technically, as I understand it, LOTRO is the same in that you unlock traits, deeds, etc. from use of a skill a certain number of times.

Anyway - when you want to see it, go have a look at the people who are on the training dummy the entire time you level from 1-10 in a starter area.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmaster View Post
    Hi all, I just saw a player that I think is using a bot to play LOTRO, what sould I do if anything?
    First thing you should do is assess how this person who appears to be cheating the system affects you. Does it impede your ability to play? Is it a public nuisance? If it is merely you feeling wronged because someone is cheating the system, you're probably jealous. Which is fine, who wouldn't be mad at someone who found the easy button while you hack and slash your way through hours of gameplay. They obviously don't want to play the game, so whats it to you?

Dogan
    Or they're playing a different game...

I have to agree with dogan. While i dont condone botting, the reality is its unlikely to really be affecting you and on simple principle its interesting that your going to go out of your way to see this person penalized in some manner. Again, i dont condone a botter in any way, just dont see the purpose of making a forum post, making a big deal out of it and trying to get the person in trouble lol. Just report him if your so worried.
    [center][color=#ff3353][b]CREEP POLICE[/b][/center][/color]
    [center][color=#ffff33][b] Krukend R7 Reavling - CROOKS END[/center][/color][/b]

Quote Originally Posted by Flatulence View Post
    Anyway - when you want to see it, go have a look at the people who are on the training dummy the entire time you level from 1-10 in a starter area.
    I'm not sure if you can get deeds for skills in the starter area, or if the training dummy counts as a valid target for this anywhere, but the only reason I can think of someone doing that for hours on end is to grind out a class deed for a given ability.

I understand the whole idea of "when in doubt, report", but one does have to think if said activity would even be botted in the first place. Beating on a training dummy manually would look pretty much identical to a bot doing it (I press "2" just as good as my computer does LOL), so seeing someone do it for hours in itself wouldn't be evidence of being a bot in my mind. If they don't qualify towards those class deeds, it's entirely possible the person doing so is just doesn't know this yet.

Either way, "talking to" a person is a horrible litmus test for a bot. I ignore random tells and such all the time, not because I'm trying to be a jerk, but because I either miss them in the chat log, am too busy with what I'm doing to answer at that moment, or just plain don't feel like answering at that moment in time....
    [FONT="Impact"][CENTER][B][SIZE="4"]↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A SELECT START[/SIZE][/B][/CENTER][/FONT]

I'll say this only once... so listen close..

Dwarrow needs all the "deputy's" we can muster.. if you see something that's not right.. report it.. obviously were at the lower end of priority's when it comes to GM's and that's leading to all sorts of blatant AND OPEN PUBLICLY KNOWN scams and other such disturbing activity that if not reported will just continue until Dwarrow has a shocking rep and gets know as "the badlands" .. a place for n00bs and pwners to scam the f2p players

It don't have to affect your game to be "wrong" I for one would like to see the naming policy enforced (with a big hammer) and probably should send a few screenshots of a rather ugly and downright illegal open chat i walked passed the other day.. it was so bad i went looking for the ignore function.. and that's a first for anygame for me.. Im not one of those "whats he doing.. hmm i'll report that" type players.. but recently in the past weekend I've seen & heard things here that would NEVER be tolerated in any game.. GM's need to be ALOT more active.. im still yet to see any after 3 weeks and am starting to feel like we've been abandoned due to the overwhelming presence of evil.. were do they start?? & if we don't start to report the things we see.. they never will
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c21400000009d2d6/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Nairax View Post
    It don't have to affect your game to be "wrong" I for one would like to see the naming policy enforced (with a big hammer) and probably should send a few screenshots of a rather ugly and downright illegal open chat i walked passed the other day.. it was so bad i went looking for the ignore function.. and that's a first for anygame for me.. Im not one of those "whats he doing.. hmm i'll report that" type players.. but recently in the past weekend I've seen & heard things here that would NEVER be tolerated in any game.. GM's need to be ALOT more active.. im still yet to see any after 3 weeks and am starting to feel like we've been abandoned due to the overwhelming presence of evil.. were do they start?? & if we don't start to report the things we see.. they never will
    Name policy? If you mean obviously obscene names, fine, but if you're one of those OMG THAT NAME DOESN'T BELONG IN MIDDLE EARTH!!!!! people, get over it. You're a very small fraction of the player base and 99.9% of your fellow players don't care if a name is in the proper Elvish or not...

As for chat, there is a profanity filter which is on by default. This by itself should take care of many issues you may have with the chat. And what do you mean by illegal chat? What were they talking about, putting a hit on someone or something?
    [FONT="Impact"][CENTER][B][SIZE="4"]↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A SELECT START[/SIZE][/B][/CENTER][/FONT]

yes, i meant overly offensive and outward nonsense names like pwnrz88 (not a real name.. i think.. just an example) funny names and anything else not fitting the above i have no worries with same goes for kins.. I just don't see the point in some of the names here.. but ALOT are sweet.. just a few wannabe's spoil it..

And the chat was about a few things.. Pedophilia, necrophilia.. and blatant satan worship.. none have any meaning in the shire.. nor any place in my chatbox Im cool with ppl and there discussions.. but that particular chat really should have been in a PM.. to be honest.. it creeped the **** outa me.. and im rarely creeped out

I suppose the 2 in question can be thankful it just was me that passed them & i have no kids or know of anyone with kids that plays lotro.. someone with higher social morals would be screaming like a banshee about "what they saw in open chat" It truly made me i'll and im no stranger to the subject of satanisim (not one.. but not a bible basher either.. I live on "the fence" ) dam.. i even own all versions of the necronomican (digital obviously) .. but these were just 2 fools talking nonsense about a subject they obviously know nothing about.. and trying to outdo each other on the "ohh no.. im eviler than you.. i **** kiddies..." etc.. etc.. bad enough for ya ??