We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Is every Protector so stupid/useless ?

Just tried few skirmishes as lvl 24 loremaster.
    For my soldier I took protector, skill taunting strike (can not give him more yet). In tooltip of protector rank and skill he is lvl 29. yet when mobs are pounding me my protector is standing near me and doing NOTHING. Game bug or what ?
    Should I change soldier ?

Re: Is every Protector so stupid/useless ?

Yes. Give warrior or sage a go. I kind of like sage, debuffs stack with LM skills.
    Nerves, of the Brandywine.

I got a protector for my minstrel, and I often think I'd be better off soloing...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000013b2f/01005/signature.png]Halmond[/charsig]

The same issue that will cause the Protector to stand still doing nothing will also cause the Warrior to stand still and do nothing -- switching soldiers won't change that. It's important to learn which LTs will cause your soldier (including the herbalist) to go into idle mode so as to save your direct solder command to re-engage them. Also, once you hit 30, you will find that all soldiers will go idle even more frequently because if your Lynx roots a mob, your soldiers will no longer attack it -- even if it's the last mob standing. You also need to be careful about roots and blind yourself -- basically anything that takes a mob out of action can also take your soldier out of action if there's nothing left active to attack.

I think Protectors can really only be useful for burgs (to get positional damage), Hunters & LMs (for induction setbacks). But I'm not saying that the Protector is the best for these classes. Any skirmish soldier will to for any class TBH.
    [color=#9A32CD]Third Marshal Adrina the Battlemaster Rank 12 Rune-keeper[/color]
    [color=#1E90FF]Emedyl R7 Captain, Ritah R7 Burg, Harwyn R7 LM, Camacho R6 Captain[/color]
    [color=#FF3030]Deeman R5 Guard, Kemli R5 Champ, Bigcheese R5 Mini
    Morderon R4 Champ, Cronks R4 Warden, Deaman R4 Hunter[/color]
    [color=#FF7F24]Murauz R7 BA, Dreykahn, R7 Reaver, Morzug R7 Warg, Renamedske R5 Spider[/color]

Quote Originally Posted by nelar View Post
    The same issue that will cause the Protector to stand still doing nothing will also cause the Warrior to stand still and do nothing -- switching soldiers won't change that. It's important to learn which LTs will cause your soldier (including the herbalist) to go into idle mode so as to save your direct solder command to re-engage them. Also, once you hit 30, you will find that all soldiers will go idle even more frequently because if your Lynx roots a mob, your soldiers will no longer attack it -- even if it's the last mob standing. You also need to be careful about roots and blind yourself -- basically anything that takes a mob out of action can also take your soldier out of action if there's nothing left active to attack.
    QFT. I absolutely love my protector and he does a fantastic job of keeping most mobs off of me. Sometimes I try to draw aggro and can't with my hunter because he's so darn good at his job.

Yes they will sometimes NOT attack. Roots are the biggest problem, especially cracked earth. Do not use it if you're on CD for your DIRECT SOLDIER skill...or time it so you can direct your soldier on the enemy once the root breaks. It is annoying but understanding how your skills affect your soldier goes a long way.

As mentioned above, changing soldiers does not change this dynamic. It's a flaw with the AI of the skirmish soldier in general, not a specific class of soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by Skigorn View Post
    As mentioned above, changing soldiers does not change this dynamic. It's a flaw with the AI of the skirmish soldier in general, not a specific class of soldier.
    I do not see it as an AI problem. I am so glad my soldier goes idle when I root, mez or otherwise disable an opponent. The flaw is the long cool down on the "attack my target" command. If it was six seconds or so, I would be happy. It drives me nuts fighting something like an "Echo of Death" knowing that I can not use fear or anything else. I got no way to start my soldier up again.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    I do not see it as an AI problem. I am so glad my soldier goes idle when I root, mez or otherwise disable an opponent. The flaw is the long cool down on the "attack my target" command. If it was six seconds or so, I would be happy. It drives me nuts fighting something like an "Echo of Death" knowing that I can not use fear or anything else. I got no way to start my soldier up again.
    I agree that I don't want my soldier attacking a rooted mob, the problem is when the root finally breaks and they bad guy is attacking once more. The soldier stands there staring at the wall unless you direct them. I've personally seen this happen with the soldier and protector. To me this is an AI problem since they don't "know" that you're being attacked once more. It's like the enemy is completely off the soldiers radar at that point.

I know what you're saying, being able to direct them sooner is a valid argument. Of course we've been asking for it since skirmishes were released and have yet to see this changed. I've adjusted my playstyle and won't direct them unless they go into "stupid mode", or simply avoid CE with my LM.