We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Runekeeper-Solo Friendly?

I really like this class, but is it as good a soloer as say a Hunter or Lore Master?

Re: Runekeeper-Solo Friendly?

RK's are masterful solo'ers when used right. The combination of incredible on-the-go DPS and some pretty shweet slows brings pain to many mobs. I'm pretty sure that on Youtube you can find fraps videos of RK's soloing the first boss of SH.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060000000f07d0/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Renorin Hunter 65 --- Haspodic Rune-Keeper 61 --- Joehath Burglar 40 --- Balthask Captain 38 --- Balthorr Guardian 36 --- Johaak Warden 37 --- Skivv Minstrel 26 --- Talsn LoreMaster 31

All classes in LOTRO can solo relatively well. RKs have tissue paper for armor, but can kite and heal themselves to compensate. All in all I would say we are good at soloing - not the best, but certainly not the worst.
    Last edited by Bradd; Nov 01 2010 at 10:09 PM.
    I am a lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)

you have a class that can self heal (basically, infinite health) and does outstanding dps. Its custom built for solo play. I prefer it to every other class for soloing, actually. Wardens can do harder stuff, as they are tougher and can self heal and aoe dps that, while slow, kills many things at once. RK have to work much, much harder to solo group content than a warden, but if you are just talking about normal play (not trying to solo group level stuff), the RK is the best IMO.
    Draegon:
    "stack all the morale you want but dont come on here wonderin why you aint hittin hard! :D"

I solo'd my RK most of the way to lvl 65 and had a great time doing it.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000000836a7/01001/signature.png]Thamorian[/charsig]

[COLOR=Red]Dramorian lvl 85 Dwarven Rune-Keeper[/COLOR]

I really enjoy soloing with my RK. It can at times be a challenge when handling certain mobs (such as range) but it is absolutely viable and more than fun =).

I have lots of alts, most around level 30-38. Then RK whips em all soloing. An example is killing Gaunt men in Lonelands. At level 30, the RK mowed thru the elite and his minion in no time flat with almost no HP lost (have runestone up...cast HoT heal then pull)

Even facing Signature elites, he has no trouble unless they hit very hard or are much higher level. I accidently took Ragadast into Agamaer for part of the epic questline at level 31 and made it up to the 1st boss (Ragadast was healing me too). Didnt get Inspiration cause I clicked fellowship. Duh.. My other characters would have noticed immediately...or died.

Cool Re: Runekeeper-Solo Friendly?

Maybe I'm speaking a little early, but I'm having a way easier (and much more fun, most importantly) time soloing with my RK than I did with my Minstrel, which I gave up on around level 25. I've levelled a Captain, Burglar and Minstrel as well, and so far, the RK class has been the most interesting one I've played. Like others have said, EVERY class was designed to be survivable for solo-players (thank god), so if you like RK, roll with it!

I think RK's are plenty soloable with no problems advancing in the game.

However I think there's types of challenging solo content that RK's can solo handily, and types that it are extremely difficult for RK's to solo. I don't think we're anywhere near the best solo toons in the game, and I think it takes a bit of dedication to tactics and studying skills to be able to be a really good RK solo player, more so than most other toons.

If you've got challenging solo content and you can't kite (because there are too many Mobs in close proximity or a few rangers in the group, or the Mob(s) have snares and slows) you are going to have a much tougher time. RK's have some decent CC: traited shocking touch, your healing stone, vivid imagery, some slows and shocking words. The slows are only slightly effective when you can't kite as they will delay melee Mobs reaching you.

RK's have to kill quick, so you're first plan is to develop a solid lightning rotation and keep your damage output and crit %'s high. Once we become Lore-Captains in the next patch maybe we'll be able to stack enough heals while damage attuned to be regenerative mini-tanks and gameplay will change.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000277237/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [color=lightblue]۞[/color][color=yellow]Irked (Guardian)[/color] [color=lightblue]۞[/color][color=yellow]Amperos (RuneKeeper)[/color] [color=lightblue]۞[/color][color=yellow]Haywoode (Warden)[/color] [color=lightblue]۞[/color][color=yellow]Kanoh (Captain)[/color] [color=lightblue]۞[/color][color=yellow]Pugnacio (Champion)[/color] [color=lightblue]۞[/color][color=yellow]Rhyde (LoreMaster)[/color] [color=lightblue]۞[/color][color=yellow]Woodwerd (Burglar)[/color]

RKs are definitely good solo, but as a first toon, particularly for someone who hasn't played MMOs, they are going to be harder to solo than, for example, a hunter. Once you get the hang of how to pull mobs, understand pathing and learn your skills, they are very good.
    [COLOR="#800080"][FONT=Arial Black]A Vote for Sapience is still a vote for progress![/FONT][/COLOR]

Thumbs down Flexibility vs Confusion...

The above poster has it right on; My other alts (Guardian, Burg, (2) Wardens... Hunter aren't exactly rinse and repeat, but once you master the class most situations have one and only one path to success. At the very least the second alternative is uphill and path chosen just to experiment...

The RK seems to have decisions open branches that offer more decisions. If it's your first ever MMOP you are going to get confused some... stay patient, master the class moves, experiment on blue and less until you feel confident.

Rastafarian is now L61 but by his 30s he was doing high oranges occasional red comfortably. Warning, he was twinked on equipment, jewelery, etc and is a SM Scholor so runs around with the +1,000AF and +500TacOff scrolls.

Again, 1st ever toons will lack those edges... just saying may not be the best class to start with.

Jammer
    as Rastafarian, Rune Keeper of Gladdin

RK's are great at soloing. I have a lvl 48 one, and its been a breeze. I think it all boils down to how well you know how to spell rotate (from dps and healing spells). The only times I get "squished" is when I do something dumb and pull to many mobs (thinking I can take them) or had a bad luck in spell strikes.

The only problem is some of the fellowship quests are hard to solo. But then again, I don't like some of the rewards from them and I gravitate to the solo quests instead.

My 2 pennies!

RK's are extremely good solo-classes, but you have to remember that, in all honesty, ALL classes can be good solo-classes, if played correctly. To use your examples, a Hunter will need to make sure he lays traps to solo the really big stuff, or lots of mobs. Lore-Masters will need to make sure they use their pet, their stuns, and their debuffs effectively. In the same way, RK's will need to make effective use of their slows/stuns and their ability to use their skills on-the-run, as well as keeping a few HoT's up during the fight. Managing attunement is important as well. The ability to switch attunement quickly can mean the difference between living JUST long enough to kill the mob, or watching as your stunned mob with 10 Morale left resets, and you die from that last little poison DoT he put on you.
    [CENTER]While you burn at the stake, I dance with the flames. I take what you love and leave you in tears. I am relentless, unpredictable, and waiting for your last breath.
    [/CENTER]

I've been playing my Guardian to level 25, and was wondering what the difference between survivability of the Rune-Keeper and the Guardian. I know that a major difference in battle is I am a tanking melee class, compared the the Runekeeper being a caster class. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I would like to roll on of these characters. Thanks!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d216000000010856/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by imkain View Post
    I've been playing my Guardian to level 25, and was wondering what the difference between survivability of the Rune-Keeper and the Guardian. I know that a major difference in battle is I am a tanking melee class, compared the the Runekeeper being a caster class. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I would like to roll on of these characters. Thanks!
    Guards and RKs are the polar opposite of one another. Guards stand there and take a beating and slowly whittle down the opponent while the rk relies on self heals, high damage, and a little bit of "stone tanking" in order to do multi mob pulls well.
    High tier guards can do impressive dps in their heavy armor, but the tactics of a high tier rk are going to be vastly different.

RKs are solo friendly, but I will admit I had a rough time when I started just because I had no idea how the game worked and how many of the mechanics worked. Once I understood, it became much easier (but I still have to run away at times
    85 RK | 85 CHMP | 75 BRG | many others

Thanks for the information ShammWoww.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d216000000010856/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

My two copper

RKs kill stuff very fast and can churn through solo content quickly. Having said that, you are a paper tiger, so you die and it will be rather sudden. Luckily light armor is cheap to repair

BG
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000012801a/01005/signature.png]Rapacious[/charsig]

as far as surviveablity goes, RK is poor. you can either heal effectively or dps effedtively, and if you solo you need to dps.

that said, dps output is exceptional. better than a hunter if you learn your skills (and how they work together). so you need to learn to pull singly or in pairs (cc one and quickly kill the other) and you're set. mobs will go down VERY fast and obviously, the faster they go down, the more you gain experience. with your heals, downtime between fights is minimal.

RK can't seriously compete with a "professional" solo class like a warden. somewhere above a poster was proud at soloing the first boss of SH. I can solo first 2 bosses on my warden 100% of the time, and while personally haven't managed to take the third boss down (yet!) some others I know have. that doesn't mean the RK is a bad solo class, just not as good as a warden.

in any case, you will get to the instances stage at some point and everyone loves an extra RK in the group. what's not to love? a serious dps class that can turn mid-way through the fight into the backup healer, if the mini dies. or go the other way around and turn from main healer into a dps-er.

I have been playing a warden 48, a burglar 27, and now, RK 22. I think burglar is the worst soloer of them, and warden is the best. Warden can stand with 4-5 mobs (equal lv, not sign or elite). They finish mobs slower, but the most importance, they do not die. With my RK 3 mobs is a hard task. But at least, RK damage is great, and if we are careful, don't lure too much, we'll be fine. Burglar? Damage low, avoidance low, really really hard. I usually die if be attacked by 3 mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirain View Post
    I have been playing a warden 48, a burglar 27, and now, RK 22. I think burglar is the worst soloer of them, and warden is the best. Warden can stand with 4-5 mobs (equal lv, not sign or elite). They finish mobs slower, but the most importance, they do not die. With my RK 3 mobs is a hard task. But at least, RK damage is great, and if we are careful, don't lure too much, we'll be fine. Burglar? Damage low, avoidance low, really really hard. I usually die if be attacked by 3 mobs.
    Burgs get ALOT better and is much more survivable than my RK.

Quote Originally Posted by ShammWoww View Post
    Burgs get ALOT better and is much more survivable than my RK.
    I solo leveled an RK to 65, now have a soloing Burglar at 54 in Moria. As people have said, all classes are pretty easy to solo, but I have died less on my Burg than I did on the RK. I think the only 2 times I have died on the past 20 levels is from falling off stuff in Moria (note to self: when jumping over crevices, unstealth /sigh). The main reason for the survivability is stealth and Hide In Plain Sight skill. The ability to escape a bad pull in tight mob infested places is pretty great. Also, I find soloing small fellowship (and a few full fellowship) quests easier on the Burg, it is just not a brute force class. I can't seem to take on as many mobs as I could on my RK without burning some longish cooldowns, but with the Burg playstyle, I don't have to. I think the learning curve may be a little steeper and leveling a tad slower than an RK though. IMO, Burgs don't start to shine until 40+

I took a Minstrel to 39, and it soloed fine. Burst damage seems pretty good and survivability at least as good as an RK. DPS power consumption was the only problem for me. I just could not get into the minnie playstyle.

RK solos well, and are valued by groups. You can take on 3 on level mobs, heal back to full and keep going with almost no down time. The main thing is you can be darn good DPS or an excellent healer so the class is pretty interesting.
    Last edited by SRT8; Dec 06 2010 at 10:17 AM.

Even at 27, the tools are there to easily handle 3 mob pulls.
    Say you are approaching a camp of orcs where 3 are around a camp fire: 1 ranged and 2 melee.
    Sneak up, distract and Aim+Surprise Strike on one of the melee guys.
    Immediately switch targets, and riddle the ranged mob.
    Back to main target and use Cunning Attack to apply a bleed, and apply a disable or dust in the eyes
    Switch to 3rd that you haven't touched yet, Apply a cheap trick, and immediately remove with startling twist, move behind, and wail away until dead.
    Original mob should be dead or very nearly so due to the bleed.
    If you get into trouble, you can always Touch and Go at any point in here.
    Take out the archer at your leisure.

At 30 you get Hide in Plain sight, so if your pull or timing is off, then you can always run away.
    I think 38 is Ready and Able so if you use all your cooldowns, then you can Ready and Able and reset all of your skills for another round.
    My burg is also a Man, so Ready and Able + man heal means that I can start over with my huge bag of tricks and makes me virtually unkillable in all but the most demanding solo scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by ShammWoww View Post
    Even at 27, the tools are there to easily handle 3 mob pulls.
    Say you are approaching a camp of orcs where 3 are around a camp fire: 1 ranged and 2 melee.
    Sneak up, distract and Aim+Surprise Strike on one of the melee guys.
    Immediately switch targets, and riddle the ranged mob.
    Back to main target and use Cunning Attack to apply a bleed, and apply a disable or dust in the eyes
    Switch to 3rd that you haven't touched yet, Apply a cheap trick, and immediately remove with startling twist, move behind, and wail away until dead.
    Original mob should be dead or very nearly so due to the bleed.
    If you get into trouble, you can always Touch and Go at any point in here.
    Take out the archer at your leisure.

At 30 you get Hide in Plain sight, so if your pull or timing is off, then you can always run away.
    I think 38 is Ready and Able so if you use all your cooldowns, then you can Ready and Able and reset all of your skills for another round.
    My burg is also a Man, so Ready and Able + man heal means that I can start over with my huge bag of tricks and makes me virtually unkillable in all but the most demanding solo scenarios.
    All very true and good to point out to the poster who says a 27 Burg is bad.

But careful, you will be having the OP rolling a Burg after posting a question on the RK forums about RK's!

LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by SRT8 View Post
    All very true and good to point out to the poster who says a 27 Burg is bad.

But careful, you will be having the OP rolling a Burg after posting a question on the RK forums about RK's!

LOL.
    No worries here. My RK is my main and will stay that way for the foreseeable future. I actually prefer my rk in groups, not only because I love the healing role, but I also love RK DPS'ing: raining down fire and lightning upon my foes in order to make them melt in a most delectable manner.
    My burg I generally prefer solo or 3 man groups, because I have a more defined role. I ran the mirrors for my 2.8.3 Epic quest line with a mini and hunter from my kin, and had an absolute blast because we had to use all of our skills and stay on our toes and strategize.

Not a huge fan of RK solo. Alot more fun in duos for me. Then again, I've only gotten to 20. I think champions are a heck of alot more fun solo for some reason.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast