We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Easiest Way to Earn Eglain Rep?

So I have started a new and daunting task: get Kindred with the Eglain on both my 65 Captain and 35 Hunter before the impending November Update.

Quick 'why': I want the Steed of Eriador for my Captain and the Steed of the Eglain for my Hunter.

So: I have been going through the Lone Lands making sure to do every single quest that gives Eglain rep. This seems to be leaving me just short of or at Ally. So then after that is my only option is grind GA? I know jewellers can make Eglain rep items, but neither of these characters are jewellers.

Is there an easier way? Or is this the best way to do it?

Re: Easiest Way to Earn Eglain Rep?

Scholars can make hunter boe chants (foe-finder). IIRC it's 8 chants for 500 rep. If you're not a scholar, I'm sure you can find one to make them if you supply the sindarin passages. Again by memory, but I think it's 2 passages for 3 chants (6 if crit) so if you buy how ever many you need off the auction house it's an easy recipe for the scholar to craft.

Apart from that yeah, I think it's grinding GA.
    [url=http://docholidaymmo.com/tag/lore-mastery/]Lore-mastery[/url] - A weekly column discsussing end game lore-master play.

For your lvl 65 grinding GA will be easy since its only lvl 35ish, and you can do all the optional quests in them for 700 rep each. So with the main quest giving 700 rep and the 4 others giving 700 rep too thats like 3500 rep per run in one instance. Do it five times in an hour and thats 17500 but i dont think it can be done that quick. So if you're willing to grind it is very possible. As for your other character thats lower lvl the only way would be for him to have some else run the instance with him or make a jeweler.
    Last edited by Reyph; Oct 28 2010 at 07:50 PM.

Each crafting profession should have a request repeatable from the Eglain faction rewards vendor in Ost Guruth. You can purchase as many as you want (one at a time). I think they are 10 silver each (and if I remember correctly, you can only buy the ones for that character's profession, so if you aren't a scholar, you can't buy foe-finders off the AH and turn them in, you can however, buy soups off the AH and turn them in if one of your professions is a cook).

I ground from friend to kindred doing these on my main. She is a tinker, and I chose to go with the cooking requests because they were cheaper/easier (gold ore was going for a lot at the time, and farming crops was faster than gathering ore) to produce. I basically just made a bunch of the soups, then went to the vendor and sat there and kept purchasing, activating, and turning in. Probably not as entertaining as actually doing GA for rep or quests (and more costly, the 10s per order adds up), but it worked for me!
    Last edited by Katrina26; Oct 28 2010 at 08:14 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0720600000007cba6/01008/signature.png]Aermaia[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Cithryth View Post
    So I have started a new and daunting task: get Kindred with the Eglain on both my 65 Captain and 35 Hunter before the impending November Update.

Quick 'why': I want the Steed of Eriador for my Captain and the Steed of the Eglain for my Hunter.

So: I have been going through the Lone Lands making sure to do every single quest that gives Eglain rep. This seems to be leaving me just short of or at Ally. So then after that is my only option is grind GA? I know jewellers can make Eglain rep items, but neither of these characters are jewellers.

Is there an easier way? Or is this the best way to do it?

FYI there is a crafting rep quest for each crafting profession.
    If you give away gold bars, someone will complain they're too heavy.
    .: Dannach, 100 WDN :.: Daire, 83 LMR :.: Gyrefalcon, 92 CHN :.: Brandon, 72 CPT :.: Honey, 71 GRD :.: Griffon, 69 HNT :.: Kaelenea, 72 RNK :.
    .: Iryth, 56 WDN :.: Baye, 56 WDN :.: Samtal, 64 WDN :.:Dunnock, 56 WDN :.: Sedgewald, 68 LMR :.: Breyon, 41 CHN :.: Tieran, 50 HNT :.

I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.
    Might as well face it, I'm addicted to WDN

I've gained kindred with the Eglain. AFAIK, I completed all of the quests, including the GA quests, but still fell short of Kindred. It's possible I missed a few quests, though: I didn't concentrate on the area, and, by the time I could do so, I had outleveled the area. I'm pretty sure I didn't miss enough to make up for the major point deficit, and your experience/numbers seems to support that theory.

It turns out that the faction vendor in Ost Garuth offers "orders" for a commodity that the Eglain need in their resettlement of the region or in the fight against the forces of evil. Each "order" is something like 10.75s, and returns 11.25s plus 700 rep. It's not a bulk recipe - one order for one commodity. The commodities are probably something you can already craft using the materials in the area. You can only have one order active at a time (it's not timed). I calculated how many items I needed, crafted them, and then camped by the vendor to buy an order, fill it, and turn it in.

I remember that there were orders available for most, if not all, guilded vocations (woodworker, cook, jeweler, weaponsmith, metalsmith, tailor, scholar). As I woodworker, I had to craft yew fishing rods. Unfortunately, if you have to buy anything to complete the rec, it is a money-sink. For example, the fishing rods require pristine leather wrappings, which are available only from the supplier at a cost of roughly 4.75s. Because I had to craft something like 27 rods (that's the number that sticks in my brain; if it's accurate, then I was around 18,900 points shy of kindred), I paid 100s for the privilege of kindred.

There are few rewards for kindred, but you are automatically granted a "Return to Ost Garuth" skill (no *additional* purchase necessary; the skill hasn't been all that useful until lately, when I've been grinding rep with the Inn League/Ale Assoc - there's a delivery point in Harloeg). All "Return to" skills share a cooldown.

HTH!
    Last edited by jewahe; Oct 28 2010 at 08:22 PM.
    Jewahe

Thanks for the advice all. Some how I completely forgot about the craft repeatables.

Guess who's going to be making hundreds of sturdy leather bindings and fishing poles

I recently went back and completed Eglain rep. I had half of Ally and all of Kindred to fill. There were a few new quests that give faction reward that were added in the Lone Lands revamp, and like me you probably still have those available on your L65 toon. Pay particular attention to the bounty quests down in Harloeg. However, the bulk of my last rep tier came from running the Arboretum everyday. I believe all of the GA challenges are dailies, so there is a limit to how quickly you can grind out rep from the GA quests. However, note that although you only get one optional challenge per entry you can re-enter multiple times until you get all of the optionals (and of course no need to fight the boss after the first time through). The Arboretum can be quickly and easily solo'd at 65 and will net you a total of 2,200 for the main challenge plus three optionals. However, depending on how far you have to go and how many days we have left before the update, the Arboretum alone may not get you to kindred. You may end up running the Barrows optionals as well. Not sure how easy you would find it to solo Ivar. I've recently done it several times with a single low level kinmate, but I never bothered to try him solo. I don't know that the Red Maid could be solo'd as she is a full fellowship quest (Ivar and Grimbark are now 3 man).
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

I cooked soup. Lotsa soup. Seriously.

I just did GA.

Challenge Ivar = 1200
    Challenge Grimbark = 1200
    Challenge Maid = 1200
    Challenge for the other guy in the fortress = 900
    1 optional per section = 2100
    Kills = 8-24 each

Easily 6000 a day not counting doing multiple optionals. Considering you can do that in about 1 hrs time, not bad at all.
    Other option for grinding rep is to murder a billion orcs and wights... that'd take a long time, though.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/012030000000b658d/01008/signature.png]Keirion[/charsig]

Steed of Eriador for my Captain and the Steed of the Eglain for my Hunter.
    Where did you find info about the new mounts?? Is there a list of what mounts are being released??
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/home/character/1054335/146085512913891866/][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820700000010321a/signature.png]Eryndar[/charsig][/url]
    Eryndar - 75 Warden / Jadwin - 75 Minstrel / Antrius - 75 Hunter / Saelethial - 66 Champion

New rep horses

I'm grinding rep too on several characters.
    If you give away gold bars, someone will complain they're too heavy.
    .: Dannach, 100 WDN :.: Daire, 83 LMR :.: Gyrefalcon, 92 CHN :.: Brandon, 72 CPT :.: Honey, 71 GRD :.: Griffon, 69 HNT :.: Kaelenea, 72 RNK :.
    .: Iryth, 56 WDN :.: Baye, 56 WDN :.: Samtal, 64 WDN :.:Dunnock, 56 WDN :.: Sedgewald, 68 LMR :.: Breyon, 41 CHN :.: Tieran, 50 HNT :.

I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.
    Might as well face it, I'm addicted to WDN

Is there a specific reason for wanting to do this prior to the update, or is this an arbitrary goal for yourself?

Are they changing the rep/rewards in some way?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000000ab11/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Yes.

When the November update drops, there will be a new horse for those who have hit Kindred on all the Eriador factions (except Eldgang, inn league & ale association). It's called the "World Reknown" horse.

There is also a new horse for those who have hit Kindred with the Eglain.

There are several new kindred horses, actually.
    [b][size=3][font=Georgia][color=#00FF33]IRISH-ROHIRRIM AIRLINES: FORTH, AER LINGUS!
    [/color][/font][/size][/b][font=arial][color=#ffffff]Macbeth - Level 75 Captain / Jinjur - Level 56 Warden / Sigismund - Level 64 Loremaster / [color=red][/color][/color][/font] [color=#33CCFF]- Arkenstone[/color]

I am tired of this bull****. I want items that i can farm to turn items in on top of these stupid methods of earning this faction I am sick and tired of dying to BOSS that are 33 Levels below me. Just died to grimbark CAUSE ALL HE DOES IS HEAL HEAL HEAL HEAL HEAL HEAL HEAL HEAL GET MY POINT

why cant i have unlimited heals without any cool downs or power consumption?

The Thrashing Red-root defeated the Maddened Beehive. well done game mechanic
    Last edited by Asroknight; Jan 30 2011 at 07:57 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000339569/01003/signature.png]Sanbor[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Asroknight View Post
    I am sick and tired of dying to BOSS that are 33 Levels below me. Just died to grimbark CAUSE ALL HE DOES IS HEAL HEAL HEAL HEAL HEAL HEAL HEAL HEAL GET MY POINT
    BREATHE. Take a break. Do something besides Grimbark. Return with a group.
    Deus

Quote Originally Posted by Asroknight View Post
    I am tired of this bull****. I want items that i can farm to turn items in on top of these stupid methods of earning this faction I am sick and tired of dying to BOSS that are 33 Levels below me. Just died to grimbark CAUSE ALL HE DOES IS HEAL HEAL HEAL HEAL HEAL HEAL HEAL HEAL GET MY POINT

Then I would suggest not trying to kill mobs that frustrate you.

Not all rep grinds are the same in this game. Most of the early rep groups you can grind rep items for, though some of them require you to be a certain level before you can hand them in. For example you can't hand in rep items for Thorin's Hall until your level 41. Some rep groups you can only get rep via doing quests, no rep items and no crafting options. The Eglain fall somewhere in-between. My hunter/explorer gained kindred rep with them. He spent time grinding mobs for leather to make sturdy leather bindings. For that craft there's little difference in grinding for leather and grinding for rep drops. The Eglain rep system is not my favorite, but I can deal with it. And as I really like the rep mount they offer I expect I'll be visiting them with more of my characters.

And for those who don't know, you can do the Weathertop skirmish once per day for 700 Eglain rep.
    Half of being clever is making certain you are not being stupid.

Calabar:65 Hunter – Ullrick:65 Hunter – Farli:65 Minstrel – Raedan:65 Champion – Garrian:65 Captain – Karzack:65 Rune-Keeper

The Eglain is like the most choices you could ever have to get rep. How can there possibly be a problem in getting this rep? *walks off muttering in a whirl of confusion*
    Last edited by Anuhart; Jan 30 2011 at 09:10 PM.

Unhappy Re: Easiest Way to Earn Eglain Rep?

Wait a second here... I just tried the Eglain crafting quest. I have to BUY the quest EVERY TIME I want to turn in six lousy bindings? Doing it that way will be stupidly expensive and time consuming, but I'm at Ally standing and I'm out of solo quests.

I have a few instances left, but none of them have a solo option and finding a fellowship to get any of them done has proved to be... a challenge. So much so that, they've been sitting in my quest log, clogging up the works for ages now.

This is really frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Calabar View Post
    And for those who don't know, you can do the Weathertop skirmish once per day for 700 Eglain rep.
    Ok, that is actually very good to know. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LJonte View Post
    I have a few instances left, but none of them have a solo option and finding a fellowship to get any of them done has proved to be... a challenge. So much so that, they've been sitting in my quest log, clogging up the works for ages now.

Which server are you on? On my server, finding a group for GA is a piece of cake, they are being formed almost all the time because of how many people are in that zone.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000000704a/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by LJonte View Post
    Wait a second here... I just tried the Eglain crafting quest. I have to BUY the quest EVERY TIME I want to turn in six lousy bindings? Doing it that way will be stupidly expensive and time consuming, but I'm at Ally standing and I'm out of solo quests.

Just for a competing perspective:

I just finished taking my 31 guard through LL, specifically to finish off Eglain rep. Said guard is a cook, so, same thing as the bindings...except it's 2 bowls of soup per quest turnin, rather than 6 bindings.

Since I got to the zone late, I didn't do a bunch of the quests in the western half of the zone. I got my rep to Kindred just from quests and soup, using the proceeds from trash drops to fund the quest turnins.

It's not as much as it seems at first. Each turnin is 700 rep. Each quests costs 21 silver and some-odd copper to start. So, you're looking at ~105 silver for 3500 rep. You can earn that much just by running from Ost Guruth to the Last Bridge and back, killing everything in sight, and selling the trash drops. Not bad for 3500 rep, no?

I pretty much "purchased" the entirety of my rep from Ally to Kin (so, about 900 silver spent on buying the quest), and still came out of the zone with about a 2 gold profit, just from trash drops.

So far as the time-consuming part (I assume you mean purchasing the quest, clicking the document, talking to the guy, turning in, rinsing and repeating), again, it really isn't that bad. Look at it this way: all that time you've spent (unsuccessfully) looking for a GA group? If you'd been rinsing and repeating while LFF, you'd probably be Kindred by now.
    Last edited by Ailedra; Feb 20 2011 at 07:18 AM.

Crafting
    Thats how i earned enough Eglain rep to get to kindred
    Sam: “It’s like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn’t want to know the end, because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folks in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going because they were holding on to something.”
    Frodo:“What are we holding on to, Sam?”
    Sam: “That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.”

I killed two birds with one stone in that as I was grinding the crafting rep quests I was also grinding my expert crafting anvils. On top of that it meant that my level 26 guard had a 250 morale rep horse which was very handy when riding through on level or higher areas.
    Must remember to engage brain before using keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by Calabar View Post
    Then I would suggest not trying to kill mobs that frustrate you.

Not all rep grinds are the same in this game. Most of the early rep groups you can grind rep items for, though some of them require you to be a certain level before you can hand them in. For example you can't hand in rep items for Thorin's Hall until your level 41.
    Sidebar question about this--what level is your character required to be to turn in gift mathoms? My champion is sitting on several mathoms that he had left over from when he left the Shire and Bree to go to LL. The last time I nipped over to Michel Delving (at around 28-29), I was told I could not turn them in at the Mathom-House. He's now at 33, and I'm just wondering how long I'll be holding onto these. Thanks!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0720600000014e57a/01007/signature.png]Westrandir[/charsig]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast