We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 9 of 130 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 59 109 ... LastLast

Re: Two-word Tolkien Trivia

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    You are correct! I orginally posed this question a year or two ago in the long form trivia thread - Who is the only elf referred to by given name in The Hobbit? By reducing it to a two word riddle I unfortunately made it so there were multiple answers. For example, Elrond would be the answer if the question were who is the only half-elf named in The Hobbit? Beorn would be the "Uniquely Named" shape changer, and so on.
    Still seems like a fair riddle, as none of those other sets have any other members who are actual characters in the story. Elrond is the only half-elf character, Beorn the only skin-changer, Smaug the only dragon, etcetera. So they're unique, but not uniquely named in a way that stands out as Galion does.

Or not.

. . .

This one has two answers that I've thought of. One is fairly obvious, one much less so. First Prize and all the glory goes to the person who comes up with the latter.

"Headless Horseman"
    [CENTER][I][FONT=Garamond]* * *
    [/FONT][/I][FONT=Palatino Linotype]"From without the World, though all things may be forethought in music or foreshown in vision from afar, to those who enter verily into Eä each in its time shall be met at unawares as something new and unforetold."[/FONT]
    [/CENTER]

The obvious answer must be the Black Riders, right? Their lack of corporeal form would leave them headless, not to mention bodiless.
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

And my vote for less obvious would be Hirgon, the rider who brought the Red Arrow to Theoden, only to be found a headless corpse later, if memory serves.

Ooh. Nice answer.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by darkoutcast View Post
    And my vote for less obvious would be Hirgon, the rider who brought the Red Arrow to Theoden, only to be found a headless corpse later, if memory serves.
    Correct! The riddle-gavel is yours.
    [/FONT][/I][FONT=Palatino Linotype]"From without the World, though all things may be forethought in music or foreshown in vision from afar, to those who enter verily into Eä each in its time shall be met at unawares as something new and unforetold."[/FONT]
    [/CENTER]

Thank you kindly. I was blessed with having just re-read that section after the mention of Ghan Buri Ghan. I believe I will go with

Literal Domicile

as my riddle.

Literal Domicile

as my riddle.
    The Last Homely House?
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Good guess but not quite.

probably not but I thought of the Valinor (the west where the elves go)

While definitely a domicile, not literal in the sense of the riddle. Keep trying though!

How about Mandos (sometimes referred to as the Halls of Mandos), which place name was also usually applied to the Vala who dwelt there (his actual name was something else). I believe the word Mandos means something like "dwelling" in elvish, although I would need to research that.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

If that doesn't work, let me also offer Khazad-dum = Dwarrowdelf = Dwarf-delving

Both good guesses, Mandos I believe was "prison-fortress" in Quenya. However, neither are the answer here. To narrow down the number of dwelling places that could be construed as simply being "literal" i.e. Khazad-Dum, here's a second clue.

This domicile wasn't literal at first.

k what about Arda the whole earth? because at first it was just a song from Illuvator so I guess that wasn't literal at first?

Quote Originally Posted by bethanna View Post
    k what about Arda the whole earth? because at first it was just a song from Illuvator so I guess that wasn't literal at first?
    Oo, nice guess, especially in light of the last clue.
    [/CENTER]

Quite clever! Honestly, more clever than my answer is most likely. However, it isn't quite what I had in mind and I hope to continue until this one is discerned. I will drop another hint though in that most of the current information on the creation of Arda comes from the same book as my answer; the Silmarillion.

How about Valinor = Land of the Valar. I believe this fits your criteria, as the land to which this name is normally attached was not the original home of the Valar. I am actually curious whether the "proper" name for the specific geographical region is "Aman" and whether Tolkien would have viewed "Valinor" as an appropriate name for both Aman and the predecessor dwelling-place of Almaren.

*Edit: On second thought, scratch the follow up musing. Aman = Blessed Realm can't really be distinguished from Land of the Valar in terms of the point I was considering. In any event, all those names were made up by the elves (it's not like the Valar likely called their home "Land of the Valar" or "Blessed Realm") and they weren't even around at the time Almaren might have been appropriately called Valinor.
    Last edited by Vilnas; Feb 02 2011 at 02:43 AM.

So many wonderful guesses. No no though. This domicile is indeed a more conventional living space, even though it may not be where the heart is. Further, I will take either of its names, both of which are literal, only one of which is also literary.

Thanks This is a good riddle! but I didn't read the Sim yet!!

What about Caras Galadhon, it was originally just a tree but was turned into much more of a "domicile" by the elves of Lorien

I'm afraid my domicile hearkens to the days of Lorien, not Lothlorien.

If you're tearing your hair out and are now nearer to Bald, you've at least come within bow range,

If you're tearing your hair out and are now nearer to Bald, you've at least come within bow range,
    Amon Rûdh, the home of Mîm the Petty-dwarf and Túrin's former base of operations?

I will take Bald Hill, for to deny the answer when you're so close seems cruel. I was looking for Bar-en-Danwedh, the "House" of Ransom, so named after it was ransomed from Mim for the life of his remaining son. The previous name of Bar-en-Nibin-noeg was the first, also literal name (House of the Petty Dwarves). I dug my feet in on this one as the domicile in question was referred to as House and had two literal meanings.

It also struck an odd funnybone that it is also very close to "literary" in that it is only one letter away from Random House, who owns Del Rey, who at least currently publishes the object of our trivia affections.

I will take Bald Hill, for to deny the answer when you're so close seems cruel. I was looking for Bar-en-Danwedh, the "House" of Ransom, so named after it was ransomed from Mim for the life of his remaining son. The previous name of Bar-en-Nibin-noeg was the first, also literal name (House of the Petty Dwarves). I dug my feet in on this one as the domicile in question was referred to as House and had two literal meanings.

It also struck an odd funnybone that it is also very close to "literary" in that it is only one letter away from Random House, who owns Del Rey, who at least currently publishes the object of our trivia affections.
    Thanks, I'm afraid I got so caught up with the "bald" and Silmarillion hints that I forgot the original riddle. ><

I think my riddle shall be, "Corrupt Fate".

Page 9 of 130 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 59 109 ... LastLast