We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 80 of 130 FirstFirst ... 30 70 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 90 ... LastLast
Results 1,976 to 2,000 of 3250
  1. #1976
    Quote Originally Posted by Al. View Post
    You said jetty was geographical previously, you aren't changing it are you?
    He's not changing anything as I see it:
    Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    Aideani and Al, negative on both. Al, geographically (were I going for that) jetty wouldn't equate to island, but rather to cape or peninsula.
    Note the were I going for that in his reply, indicating that he is NOT going for geographically.

    As for answering the riddle, I will admit to being stumped on this one. Jetty had me thinking of a port city such as Umbar, Pelargir, or Lond Daer that might have a large pier or whaft, but my limited research thus far hasn't turned up anything...
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

  2. #1977
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,129
    Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    It is not indeed correct. In fact, one might say it is incorrect indeed. In the case of my riddle rake is a noun not a verb. Jetty is also a noun though not geological nor geographical. The answer is but a single word.
    Wilros, he changed it maybe unconcsiously. Now the riddle is Jetty noun (peninsulaor cape) and Rake noun.
    Last edited by Al.; Oct 02 2013 at 04:46 PM.

  3. #1978
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,129
    Ill go for cape of forochel or short forochel

  4. #1979
    Peer?

    Moor werds
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers

  5. #1980
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    Aideani and Al, negative on both. Al, geographically (were I going for that) jetty wouldn't equate to island, but rather to cape or peninsula.
    As Wil' said, I did not change. I was never thinking geographical or geological. Think of non-geographical/non-geological prominence/jetty/cape/peninsula/protuberance that sticks out. Think unconventionally
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

  6. #1981
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    Peer?

    Moor werds
    A jetty might be a pier (though not in this case) but never a peer (which is a person of equal, legal status, ability, or social standing, or a Duke, Marquis, Earl, Viscount, or Baron).
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

  7. #1982
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Posts
    347

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Al. View Post
    A hint?
    A hint? he says. I have already provided three hints. I told you it was NOT geographical and re-iterated that. I told you it was two nouns, no verbs. I told you the answer was a single word. I will take pity upon you and make it too easy. the single word is the moniker of a character in LotR. There's your fourth hint, now solve it!
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

  8. #1983
    Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    A jetty might be a pier (though not in this case) but never a peer (which is a person of equal, legal status, ability, or social standing, or a Duke, Marquis, Earl, Viscount, or Baron).
    Obviously a pier is a jetty, I know how to spell
    The reason for the spelling was that a rake can also mean a fashionable or wealthy man, in other words a peer in society.

    Anyway I'm going to guess Meriadoc.
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers

  9. #1984
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,129
    I thought Baggins

    But Ill go for peregrin "pippin"

  10. #1985
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    Obviously a pier is a jetty, I know how to spell
    The reason for the spelling was that a rake can also mean a fashionable or wealthy man, in other words a peer in society.

    Anyway I'm going to guess Meriadoc.
    I see. A little touchy eh? A rake can also be many things but I had not heard the fashionable or wealthy man angle before.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

  11. #1986
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Posts
    347

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Al. View Post
    I thought Baggins

    But Ill go for peregrin "pippin"
    Based upon what? No, that is not correct. Wolfhelm the touchy is kind of on the right track as he is thinking of synonyms.
    You do realize I'm just having fun, right, Wolfy?
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

  12. #1987
    Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    I see. A little touchy eh? A rake can also be many things but I had not heard the fashionable or wealthy man angle before.
    Nothing touchy in my reply, not intentionally so anyway. At the risk of sounding condescending, you see that little winky symbol in my post?, that is intended to imply that there was no offence intended, at least most people take it to mean that
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers

  13. #1988
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    Nothing touchy in my reply, not intentionally so anyway. At the risk of sounding condescending, you see that little winky symbol in my post?, that is intended to imply that there was no offence intended, at least most people take it to mean that
    Ah very good. I must confess I had not noticed the winky smiley thing. I use the mr.cool smiley w/ the shades to the same end. We're cool bro' just yankin' yer chain.
    I pro'ly shouldn't offer another hint so soon, but it is no hobbit.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

  14. #1989
    Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    As Wil' said, I did not change. I was never thinking geographical or geological. Think of non-geographical/non-geological prominence/jetty/cape/peninsula/protuberance that sticks out. Think unconventionally
    Wormtongue?
    Worm as an epithet for a contemptible person similar to rake.
    Tongue in the sense of a tongue of land, i.e. a thin projecting peninsula

  15. #1990
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceredig View Post
    Wormtongue?
    Worm as an epithet for a contemptible person similar to rake.
    Tongue in the sense of a tongue of land, i.e. a thin projecting peninsula
    Ding ding ding ding! You are correct. Worm (rake; a contemptible person) tongue (jetty; a protuberance) Wormtongue.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

  16. #1991
    Whew, was starting to think really weird relations like rakes and worms both aerate soil.

    Ok, the thread is Two Word Trivia but it does not say two word ENGLISH trivia. For the second word, google is your friend.


    Edwardian anhaga

  17. #1992
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceredig View Post
    Whew, was starting to think really weird relations like rakes and worms both aerate soil.

    Ok, the thread is Two Word Trivia but it does not say two word ENGLISH trivia. For the second word, google is your friend.


    Edwardian anhaga
    Anhaga is Olde English and as near as I can tell it means solitary, recluse, loner. The Edwardian period of the U.K. was a period of high society and fashion. Ranking gentlemen engaged in sports by way of recreation and fashionable outfits were a mark of social standing, blabbedy blah blah blah independently wealthy blah blah. An independently wealthy, fashionable recluse; I guess Bilbo Baggins. Stab in the dark. Probably wrong.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

  18. #1993
    You are half-way there with mentioning anhaga as Old English.
    Edwardian is a historical reference but not to that period of English history.

  19. #1994
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Posts
    3,247
    Hmmm, how about Aragorn?
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, Count your change, And try to walk the line"

  20. #1995
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Hmmm, how about Aragorn?
    Your rationale?

  21. #1996
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Posts
    3,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceredig View Post
    Your rationale?
    Aha!
    I knew you would expect an explanation...

    Anhaga; a wanderer, lone explorer...certainly describes Aragorn in his earlier years.

    Edwardian? A period of change. One ruling class gives way to a new one. A new era is unfolding.
    This describes what happened in middle-earth at the end of the Third Age.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, Count your change, And try to walk the line"

  22. #1997
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Aha!
    I knew you would expect an explanation...

    Anhaga; a wanderer, lone explorer...certainly describes Aragorn in his earlier years.

    Edwardian? A period of change. One ruling class gives way to a new one. A new era is unfolding.
    This describes what happened in middle-earth at the end of the Third Age.
    Your answer is correct though I was looking for Edwardian in the sense of an Edwardian epithet: namely Edward I's well known epithet of Longshanks which Aragorn also possessed.

  23. #1998
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Posts
    3,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceredig View Post
    Your answer is correct though I was looking for Edwardian in the sense of an Edwardian epithet: namely Edward I's well known epithet of Longshanks which Aragorn also possessed.
    Well, I was half-right anyway.
    I appreciate the concession. Thanks.
    Or maybe not...now I hafta think up a new one!

    Well, here's an easy one to keep things moving...

    skeletal burglary
    Last edited by Boraxxe; Oct 10 2013 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Changed a word
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, Count your change, And try to walk the line"

  24. #1999
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceredig View Post
    Your answer is correct though I was looking for Edwardian in the sense of an Edwardian epithet: namely Edward I's well known epithet of Longshanks which Aragorn also possessed.
    Ha, I actually thought of Edward the Longshanks and eventually would have remembered Bill Ferny calling Strider Longshanks. Good job Boraxxe. Good riddle too.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

  25. #2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Well, here's an easy one to keep things moving...

    skeletal burglary
    I reckon this is from Sam's Troll Song that he makes up when Strider and the hobbits find Bilbo's trolls.

    In the song the troll has nicked a bone from Tom Bombadil's uncle.

 

 
Page 80 of 130 FirstFirst ... 30 70 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 90 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload