We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 78 of 129 FirstFirst ... 28 68 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 88 128 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 3218
  1. #1926
    Quote Originally Posted by Aideani View Post
    When you say sun tomb the first thing that comes to mind is Balin's Tomb.
    Quote Originally Posted by StrideColossus View Post
    How about Tom Bombadil opening the barrow to rescue the hobbits?

    "A low door-like opening appeared at the end of the chamber beyond Frodo's feet; and there was Tom's head (hat, feather, and all) framed against the light of the sun rising red behind him."
    Two excellent guesses... but unfortunately neither is what I'm looking for.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

  2. #1927
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere on the world
    Posts
    88
    I guess the tomb of Fingolfin? Being so high up and stuff
    Reallyfat Trollion, Antiuca Torkoyondo. Level 84 Guard.
    Anglorion, Hunter.
    Freowen, Captain.

  3. #1928
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    Two excellent guesses... but unfortunately neither is what I'm looking for.
    Far guess but, the Sam using the Phial of Galadriel against Shelob?

  4. #1929
    Quote Originally Posted by ReallyFat View Post
    I guess the tomb of Fingolfin? Being so high up and stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Aideani View Post
    Far guess but, the Sam using the Phial of Galadriel against Shelob?
    Sorry, neither of these answers is correct. I’d say the guesses of Balin’s and Fingolfin’s Tombs are nearest to the mark so far…
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

  5. #1930
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere on the world
    Posts
    88
    Perhaps *nudge* you *poke* could maybe *prod* give us a clue. I shall list the last tomb I can think of off the top of my head- Halifirien, where Elendil lies (or lay, before Cirion dcided o move him to Rath Dínen).
    Reallyfat Trollion, Antiuca Torkoyondo. Level 84 Guard.
    Anglorion, Hunter.
    Freowen, Captain.

  6. #1931
    Quote Originally Posted by ReallyFat View Post
    Perhaps *nudge* you *poke* could maybe *prod* give us a clue. I shall list the last tomb I can think of off the top of my head- Halifirien, where Elendil lies (or lay, before Cirion dcided o move him to Rath Dínen).
    I thought that I did supply a hint in my previous post, but I will make it explicit for you.

    Trivia question: Sun Tomb
    Hint: As most have guessed, this is an actual tomb/grave/burial site.

    I think someone will crack it soon so that should be enough of a hint for now.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

  7. #1932
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere on the world
    Posts
    88
    Might it be one of the mounds around Meduseld?
    Reallyfat Trollion, Antiuca Torkoyondo. Level 84 Guard.
    Anglorion, Hunter.
    Freowen, Captain.

  8. #1933
    Quote Originally Posted by ReallyFat View Post
    Might it be one of the mounds around Meduseld?
    Nope, though still along the right lines. You haven’t cracked the ‘sun’ part of the riddle yet…
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

  9. #1934
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere on the world
    Posts
    88
    You're killing me man. Any hints?

    WAIT BRAINWAVE. Sun Tomb, where Anor is Sun in Sindarin... A tomb in Minas Anor? maybe all the tombs of the Kings?
    Last edited by ReallyFat; Aug 29 2013 at 05:47 PM.
    Reallyfat Trollion, Antiuca Torkoyondo. Level 84 Guard.
    Anglorion, Hunter.
    Freowen, Captain.

  10. #1935
    Quote Originally Posted by ReallyFat View Post
    You're killing me man. Any hints?

    WAIT BRAINWAVE. Sun Tomb, where Anor is Sun in Sindarin... A tomb in Minas Anor? maybe all the tombs of the Kings?
    You’re sooo close! In fact, if you argued hard enough I might be persuaded to accept that answer, though the one I had in mind is nearby… and I think it still fits the riddle a bit better.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

  11. #1936
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere on the world
    Posts
    88
    I feel so tempted to argue, but since you say I'm close, I'll try and keep guessing. If I were to translate the entire thing, I'd get Haudh-en-Anor, which... doesn't exist. But when I said Anor, did I indeed crack the 'sun' part of the riddle?
    Reallyfat Trollion, Antiuca Torkoyondo. Level 84 Guard.
    Anglorion, Hunter.
    Freowen, Captain.

  12. #1937
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    You’re sooo close! In fact, if you argued hard enough I might be persuaded to accept that answer, though the one I had in mind is nearby… and I think it still fits the riddle a bit better.
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor."
    —Gandalf, to the Balrog of Moria

    Flame of Anor! Flame of Anor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! IT HAS TO BE THAT LINE RIGHT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

    Edit: Tomb because it was in Moria.

  13. #1938
    Quote Originally Posted by ReallyFat View Post
    I feel so tempted to argue, but since you say I'm close, I'll try and keep guessing. If I were to translate the entire thing, I'd get Haudh-en-Anor, which... doesn't exist. But when I said Anor, did I indeed crack the 'sun' part of the riddle?
    Yes, the sun part relates to Anor, and Minas Tirith.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aideani View Post
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor."
    —Gandalf, to the Balrog of Moria

    Flame of Anor! Flame of Anor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! IT HAS TO BE THAT LINE RIGHT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

    Edit: Tomb because it was in Moria.
    Another very interesting guess, but I think describing Moria as a tomb is a slight stretch.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

  14. #1939
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    Another very interesting guess, but I think describing Moria as a tomb is a slight stretch.
    I can try can't I? Technically there are many tombs and many unmarked tombs, and many hated unmarked and marked tombs. Zirak-Zigil could be known as an unmarked tomb, because nobody knew it was there. Ooo that gives me an idea, Zirak-Zigil known as the tomb of 'Gandalf the Grey'? In an area that would most likely get lots of sun, and you could sorta call it a tomb.

  15. #1940
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere on the world
    Posts
    88
    Well, Minas Tirith and Anor is geographicallyish right, so I guess tombs near Minas Tirith? Not the Hallows within it, you say, but perhaps the Mounds of Mundburg, beside Anduin, where the fallen in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields were laid.
    Reallyfat Trollion, Antiuca Torkoyondo. Level 84 Guard.
    Anglorion, Hunter.
    Freowen, Captain.

  16. #1941
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by Aideani View Post
    I can try can't I? Technically there are many tombs and many unmarked tombs, and many hated unmarked and marked tombs. Zirak-Zigil could be known as an unmarked tomb, because nobody knew it was there. Ooo that gives me an idea, Zirak-Zigil known as the tomb of 'Gandalf the Grey'? In an area that would most likely get lots of sun, and you could sorta call it a tomb.
    Anarion, the original builder of Minas Anor? He could very well be it. Unless it is a place, in which case I am wrong.

  17. #1942
    Quote Originally Posted by ReallyFat View Post
    ...perhaps the Mounds of Mundburg, beside Anduin, where the fallen in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields were laid.
    Exactly right! Well done! Mundburg being the Rohirric name for Minas Tirith.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

  18. #1943
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere on the world
    Posts
    88
    WOOHOO! FINALLEH! Okay, here be the next one

    chromatic thoroughfare
    Reallyfat Trollion, Antiuca Torkoyondo. Level 84 Guard.
    Anglorion, Hunter.
    Freowen, Captain.

  19. #1944
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by ReallyFat View Post
    WOOHOO! FINALLEH! Okay, here be the next one

    chromatic thoroughfare
    Chestnuts! It must be The Greenway.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

  20. #1945
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere on the world
    Posts
    88
    An excellent guess, but no, sorry.
    Reallyfat Trollion, Antiuca Torkoyondo. Level 84 Guard.
    Anglorion, Hunter.
    Freowen, Captain.

  21. #1946
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by ReallyFat View Post
    An excellent guess, but no, sorry.
    Hmm, really now? Well as this is Tolkien trivia it can't be the yellow-brick road nor the Rainbow bridge. Is it in LotR, or some other the good Professor's works?
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

  22. #1947
    Quote Originally Posted by ReallyFat View Post
    WOOHOO! FINALLEH! Okay, here be the next one

    chromatic thoroughfare
    Perhaps the Hall of Meduseld?

    "As their eyes changed, the travellers perceived that the floor was paved with stones of many hues..."

  23. #1948
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere on the world
    Posts
    88
    I'm laughing at how ridiculously close you just got Duath. No it is not from Lord of the Rings, rather from a certain book of the Histories of Middle-earth. Keep in mind that what you said about ''can't'' is not necessarily true.
    Reallyfat Trollion, Antiuca Torkoyondo. Level 84 Guard.
    Anglorion, Hunter.
    Freowen, Captain.

  24. #1949
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Posts
    3,124
    Quote Originally Posted by ReallyFat View Post
    I'm laughing at how ridiculously close you just got Duath. No it is not from Lord of the Rings, rather from a certain book of the Histories of Middle-earth. Keep in mind that what you said about ''can't'' is not necessarily true.
    Just a reminder about source material.
    Most of us try to stay within the bounds of the OP.
    It's no big deal Reallyfat, but it might be helpful if when you are going to expand the "source material" you could give us a hint that you are going to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    We are getting to the point with One-Word Trivia where we may have plumbed the depths. I am sure there are many more clues to come up with, but it is getting tougher.

    So I thought I would start a two-word version. Hopefully, this will be a bit less restrictive and generate some creative and interesting puzzles.

    This works the same.

    The clue will be limited to 2 words. The answer can be any length, it is NOT restricted to 2 words. If you answer the puzzle correctly you get to provide the next clue.

    Lets try to keep the subject material restricted to the major published works that are related to the world of Arda:

    The Silmarillion
    The Children Of Hurin
    The Hobbit
    The Lord Of The Rings
    The Adventures Of Tom Bombadil


    .....snip.....
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

  25. #1950
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere on the world
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Just a reminder about source material.
    Most of us try to stay within the bounds of the OP.
    It's no big deal Reallyfat, but it might be helpful if when you are going to expand the "source material" you could give us a hint that you are going to.
    Really sorry, I hadn't seen that before. Well, I shall give you hint thenne of the books within the first five of the History of Middle-earth.
    Reallyfat Trollion, Antiuca Torkoyondo. Level 84 Guard.
    Anglorion, Hunter.
    Freowen, Captain.

 

 
Page 78 of 129 FirstFirst ... 28 68 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 88 128 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload