We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 75 of 130 FirstFirst ... 25 65 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 85 125 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 3250
    Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    This is for Bambu.
    It has nothing to do with the current riddle and is a bit of a derailment. And, for that I apologize.
    I apologize, Wilros. I don't know how I missed your post. I must have been writing my response to Aideani while you were posting yours. Anyway, That is not correct, though indeed, it was a clever bit of discovery.
    Boraxxe, I remember when you posted that before I was impressed w/ it then and remain so now. No need to apologize though.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    Ah, you are right there, Aideani. It has something to do w/ Bilbo. bam...bu and Boraxxe, those events would indeed be intelligent discoveries, however, they satisfy neither the intent nor the solution of the riddle. I believe answering Aideani's assertion in the affirmative qualifies as the first hint.
    Could it be the Company of Thorin Oakenshield arriving in Rivendell? Hmmm.....

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Aideani View Post
    Not sure that event qualifies as discovery (the existence of Rivendel was known and they were in fact going there) or smart (they pretty much just stumbled upon it if memory serves).

Hint #1; it has to do w/ Bilbo.
    I suppose I could drop another hint about now. In the movie Con Air there is an exchange between U. S. Marshall Vince Larkin (played by John Cusack) and D E A agent Duncan Malloy (played by Colm Meaney):
    Larkin; "...He is known to be somewhat garrulous in the company of thieves."
    Malloy; "Garrulous? What the f@$# is garrulous?"
    Larkin; "That would be loquacious, verbose, effusive, how about chatty."
    Malloy; "What's w/ dictionary boy?
    Larkin; "Thesaurus boy, I think, is more appropriate."
    and there's your 2nd hint.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

I like that one Boraxxe. I like it a lot! Still workin on which work was reworded so wonderfully by you though...

Quote Originally Posted by Aideani View Post
    This brings to mind Elrond's discovery of the Moon-letters on Thorin's map. Both Gandalf and Thorin seemed a little miffed at that one as I recall. Heehee.

However, this is not directly related to Bilbo so I reckon it ain't the answer either.
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Could the answer be Bilbo's discovery of the river gate where the Elves sent the empty barrels downstream?

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    I like that one Boraxxe. I like it a lot! Still workin on which work was reworded so wonderfully by you though...
    I have a hard time remembering it myself w/o looking it up because when I try to think of it all that leaps into my mind is "Mimsy Were the Borogoves " By; Lewis Padgett (and I have no idea why).

Could the answer be Bilbo's discovery of the river gate where the Elves sent the empty barrels downstream?
    Negative, bam'. I refer you to hint 2, which went like this; "I suppose I could drop another hint about now. In the movie Con Air there is an exchange between U. S. Marshall Vince Larkin (played by John Cusack) and D E A agent Duncan Malloy (played by Colm Meaney):
    and there's your 2nd hint."

Negative, bam'. I refer you to hint 2, which went like this; "I suppose I could drop another hint about now. In the movie Con Air there is an exchange between U. S. Marshall Vince Larkin (played by John Cusack) and D E A agent Duncan Malloy (played by Colm Meaney):
    and there's your 2nd hint."
    Just not clickin for me yet. Now I wanna go watch Con Air. Ain't seen that one in awhile! Put. The bunny. Back in the box.
    Last edited by bambubambubambu; Jul 28 2013 at 01:22 AM.

Just not clickin for me yet. Now I wanna go watch Con Air. Ain't seen that one in awhile! Put. The bunny. Back in the box.
    Watching Con Air will not help you solve this riddle any more than reading that hint. The last line from Larkin is key.

Watching Con Air will not help you solve this riddle any more than reading that hint. The last line from Larkin is key.
    Ooo! think I got this one! Bard defeating Smaug and/or discovering Bilbo fighting him?

Wink

Hint #1; it has to do w/ Bilbo.

I suppose I could drop another hint about now. In the movie Con Air there is an exchange between U. S. Marshall Vince Larkin (played by John Cusack) and D E A agent Duncan Malloy (played by Colm Meaney):
    and there's your 2nd hint.
    Hint 3 (think of it as writing hint 2 on a 2x4 and hitting you w/ it; Look in a thesaurus.

Not sure if most riddle masters are just staying away, or if this really has everyone stymied. In case it is the latter, a 4th clue, which speaks to the 2nd and 3rd clues.
    I think so far guesses have been predicated on the idea that smart means intelligent. My step dad used to love telling me that I thought I was smart, but it was only where the skin was taken off.

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Yeah, I got that.
    A discovery that hurt(s)?
    A painful discovery?
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Oh my brain..it smarts!

Still chewin on this one...

How about Bilbo returning home to find the Sackville Bagginses selling all his possessions?

Attended by Coldaen

Yeah, I got that.
    A discovery that hurt(s)?
    A painful discovery?
    Well, what was discovered was painful to some though not to the discoverer, in fact it delighted the discoverer. Maybe it's just me, but to me, and of course I've never experienced it in a major way such as road-rash, the skin being taken off is not so much "painful", it just ______ a bit.

Well, what was discovered was painful to some though not to the discoverer, in fact it delighted the discoverer. Maybe it's just me, but to me, and of course I've never experienced it in a major way such as road-rash, the skin being taken off is not so much "painful", it just ______ a bit.
    Bilbo discovered that "Sting" gave off a blue glow when goblins were near.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Bilbo discovered that "Sting" gave off a blue glow when goblins were near.
    I'm gonna call that a correct answer. I was going for the finding of Sting. Boraxxe, You are up.

OK, here's the next two-word riddle:

Falcon's rhombus

How about the King’s Square in Gondolin? A falcon is similar to an eagle, which is often the symbol of a King. And a square is simply a rhombus with 90 degree angles.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    How about the King’s Square in Gondolin? A falcon is similar to an eagle, which is often the symbol of a King. And a square is simply a rhombus with 90 degree angles.
    Not that....

Hmmm, could it be Peregrin(Pippin), Pearl, Pimpernel, and Pervinca. Paladin Took's kids?

Quote Originally Posted by Ptar View Post
    Hmmm, could it be Peregrin(Pippin), Pearl, Pimpernel, and Pervinca. Paladin Took's kids?

You are on the right track, but not there yet.

Okay, because as I understand it a rhombus can be a diamond or loosely any gem, I'm going to guess the Palantir, which Peregrin recovered after it was cast from Orthanc by Wormtongue and which he filched from Gandalf out of curiosity.

Hurmph, maybe Pippin & Merry (Peregrine & Meriadoc), Frodo & Sam (Samwise)....

Page 75 of 130 FirstFirst ... 25 65 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 85 125 ... LastLast