We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 70 of 127 FirstFirst ... 20 60 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 80 120 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 3157

Thumbs up

You have it Wilros, congrats

To put it briefly, the Quenya suffixes -ndil and -ndur apparently lived into Sindarin but went through the regular mutations of the language, hence nd > nn/n. Final vowels are also lost in Sindarin, thus ëarë > ëar. Therefore we have Earnil for Earendil and Earnur for Earendur.

Here's a blog post of mine explaining my user name:
    http://mouzafphaerre.wordpress.com/2...endilurwendur/

Your turn sir

I feel like I didn't earn the answer on this one at all, but I'll post an easy one for somebody to guess:

Sunshade Warrior
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    I feel like I didn't earn the answer on this one at all, but I'll post an easy one for somebody to guess:

Sunshade Warrior

Lobelia Sackville-Baggins
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Is it Samwise Gamgee When he rescues Frodo from Whats-that-tower-named?
    Chrisandir, man Captain 100 | Raxus dwarf Guardian 51 | Chrorin dwarf Hunter 30 | Strillo hobbit Burglar 3 | Butche man Champion 29 |
    | Falaminianteraglith dwarf Runekeeper 20 | Randu man Lore-master 17 | Nafthali woman Warden 12 |

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Lobelia Sackville-Baggins
    Yup. Going after Sharkey's ruffians with an umbrella earned her some real stret cred!
    Last edited by Wilros; May 13 2013 at 10:03 AM.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Next one:

hat trick
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

A hat trick btw is three successes of the same kind. So ummm yeah. That is my bit of info. I have no idea what it is...YET.
    Chrisandir, man Captain 100 | Raxus dwarf Guardian 51 | Chrorin dwarf Hunter 30 | Strillo hobbit Burglar 3 | Butche man Champion 29 |
    | Falaminianteraglith dwarf Runekeeper 20 | Randu man Lore-master 17 | Nafthali woman Warden 12 |

Yes, as a Canadian I am most familiar with hat trick referencing a hockey player who scores 3 goals in a single game. Fans often throw hats onto the ice if a player from the home team completes a hat trick.

Thinking of Middle Earth, there are several different ways to try and apply this, but the first thing that comes to my mind is Huan the Hound speaking 3 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    Yes, as a Canadian I am most familiar with hat trick referencing a hockey player who scores 3 goals in a single game. Fans often throw hats onto the ice if a player from the home team completes a hat trick.

Thinking of Middle Earth, there are several different ways to try and apply this, but the first thing that comes to my mind is Huan the Hound speaking 3 times.
    Right track, wrong train.
    3 items, not actions.

Right track, wrong train.
    3 items, not actions.
    Are those three items under the sky?
    [CENTER][I][FONT=georgia]"Never laugh at live dragons"[/FONT][/I]
    [/CENTER]

The Silmarilli?

The three elven rings of power? Narya, Nenya, and Vilya?
    Last edited by c_the_awesome; May 16 2013 at 07:46 AM.

Well, it is clear that folks are on to the "3" components involved with a hat trick, but I think I need to move you all back on track.

A hat trick is usually thought of as accomplishing 3 feats. Like 3 hockey goals in a row, or 3 home runs in a row.

Might this be the three messes Bilbo managed to help the dwarves with in the Erebor quest?
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    Might this be the three messes Bilbo managed to help the dwarves with in the Erebor quest?
    bambu3 that's not a bad guess. In fact if you can explain what 3 messes you mean, and no one comes up with what I had in mind, I just may declare that the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by c_the_awesome View Post
    A hat trick btw is three successes of the same kind. So ummm yeah. That is my bit of info. I have no idea what it is...YET.
    unless its a Gordie Howe hat trick =P

hmm...Glamdring, Orcrist and Sting beeing found at the troll cave after the three trolls (William, Bert and Tom) were turned to stone?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b22500000008d97f/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Still a lot of different ways to take this one. I will make another attempt with the 3 main battles that the Fellowship members were involved with and won: Battle of the Hornburg, the Battle of Pelennor Fields, and the Battle of Morannon.

Quote Originally Posted by Galthonviel View Post
    hmm...Glamdring, Orcrist and Sting beeing found at the troll cave after the three trolls (William, Bert and Tom) were turned to stone?
    This is so close I will have to call it.
    What I was looking for was the three trolls (which you named).
    Gandalf took out all three by keeping them preoccupied until the sun rose and turned them to stone.

Yer up Galthonviel.

I hope I make sense here.

fuses silver
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b22500000008d97f/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I hope I make sense here.

fuses silver
    Here's a wag:

Celebrimbor.

He made the writing on the doors of Moria with ithildin, an alloy made with mithril (true silver).

bambu3 that's not a bad guess. In fact if you can explain what 3 messes you mean, and no one comes up with what I had in mind, I just may declare that the answer.
    I know it's already passed, but I was thinkin' about when Bilbo quoted his father saying 'Third time pays for all' or something like that. The three messes Bilbo was refferring to were saving the dwarves from the spiders, freeing them from the Elf King's prison, and lastly facing the dragon if I recall correct.
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    I know it's already passed, but I was thinkin' about when Bilbo quoted his father saying 'Third time pays for all' or something like that. The three messes Bilbo was refferring to were saving the dwarves from the spiders, freeing them from the Elf King's prison, and lastly facing the dragon if I recall correct.
    I remember the "Third time" quote.
    But I don't think he really got them out of a mess with the dragon...more like getting them into one.
    I can think of one other accomplishment that he was responsible for that could qualify as getting them out of a mess. Maybe there are others...
    Bilbo was the one that realized that the sun was setting on Durin's day and the last rays were going to land right on the spot where they thought the door would be. He hurried Thorin up to get the key out just as the keyhole was forming by rock flaking off of the wall. If they hadn't got that key into the keyhole just then the hole would have closed up and they would have had to wait another year for the next Durin's day.

Here's a wag:

Celebrimbor.

He made the writing on the doors of Moria with ithildin, an alloy made with mithril (true silver).
    Good guess, but not quite there yet.

hint: I'm not looking for a character.

Good guess, but not quite there yet.

hint: I'm not looking for a character.
    you dont actually mean fuses made of silver...like on gandalf's fireworks or something silly like that do you? =P

this one is tough. several angles i have considered, including references to Telperion, the star of elendil, etc....
    Last edited by husaragi; May 30 2013 at 03:42 PM.

Page 70 of 127 FirstFirst ... 20 60 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 80 120 ... LastLast