We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 68 of 124 FirstFirst ... 18 58 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 78 118 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 3091
    I believe that Barahir’s Outlaw Band numbered 10 if you exclude Barahir and his son Beren. This group was included in The Lay of Leithian which may be your reference to a non-cannon work.

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    I believe that Barahir’s Outlaw Band numbered 10 if you exclude Barahir and his son Beren. This group was included in The Lay of Leithian which may be your reference to a non-cannon work.
    Interesting guess, but that's not what I'm looking for.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

The ten cats of Queen Beruthiel.

Quote Originally Posted by CarsontheSage View Post
    The ten cats of Queen Beruthiel.
    Wow Carson. I am impressed.
    You pulled that up with such a minuscule clue.
    The queen had ten cats, one white and 9 black.
    These were her spies and were avoided by everyone (evil cursed things).

Good work.
    Your turn.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Thank you. I've always rather liked Unfinished Tales.

The new one:

Fearful Terror

"Fearful Terror"

If I interpret that as something/someone that incites terror and that is itself afraid then it could be Morgoth when he refused to give up the Silmarills to Ungoliant.
    She said to him; "But thou hast a great treasure from Formenos; I will have all that. Yea, with both hands thou shalt give it".
    And shortly after:

"But Ungoliant had grown great, and he less by the power that had gone out of him; and she rose against him, and her cloud closed about him, and she enmeshed him in a web of clinging thongs to strangle him. Then Morgoth sent forth a terrible cry, that echoed in the mountains. Therefore that region was called Lammoth; for the echoes of his voice dwelt there ever after, so that any who cried aloud in that land awoke them, and all the waste between the hills and the sea was filled with a clamour as of voices in anguish. The cry of Morgoth in that hour was the greatest and most dreadful that was ever heard in the northern world; the mountains shook, and the earth trembled, and rocks were riven asunder."

You're on the right track, but that's not the correct answer.

Sauron can certainly be labelled as a “Terror” and I can think of a couple of instances where he was fearful:
    1. When defeated by Huan the Hound
    2. When Numenor (along with Sauron himself) was drowned by Eru Illuvatar
    3. He was afraid of Aragorn during the War of the Ring

You're still on the right track, but you don't have the right character yet.

The Woodmen thought of Gollum as a "terror" and Gollum was often fearful.

I'm rather surprised by all these answers, but still no.

"Fearful Terror"

Could it be the Witch-king? He struck terror into [everyone], but he was afraid for possibly the first time when faced with Eowyn and realized that he might actually die in the very near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallyn_Irlandes View Post
    "Fearful Terror"

Could it be the Witch-king? He struck terror into [everyone], but he was afraid for possibly the first time when faced with Eowyn and realized that he might actually die in the very near future.
    You have the correct character, but not the right instance. I'm looking for something or someone that it's specifically stated the Witch-King feared.

Smile

The aftermath of the Battle of Fornost then. (If I've got the instance right I shan't claim the correct reply though, since I couldn't guess the crrect character.)

Still no.

Smile

Then one last encounter that I can remember remains: His interrupted (by Pippin's interference) confrontation of Gandalf the White. Is that it?

the only person i ever heard the witch-king being afraid of was Boromir the Steward of Gondor. (son of Denethor I) maybe?
    Last edited by husaragi; Apr 26 2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: added denethor i

Quote Originally Posted by husaragi View Post
    the only person i ever heard the witch-king being afraid of was Boromir the Steward of Gondor. (son of Denethor I) maybe?
    Correct. Boromir I was one of the greatest warriors of his time, and it is said that even the Witch-King feared him.

Quote Originally Posted by CarsontheSage View Post
    Correct. Boromir I was one of the greatest warriors of his time, and it is said that even the Witch-King feared him.
    yay! =) ok sorry for the delayed reply, was out of PC range for the weekend.

new riddle is iron cutters

A first guess would be Angrist, used to cut a Silmaril out of Morgoth’s Iron Crown. But I’m not sure as this would be an iron cutter, not cutters?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    A first guess would be Angrist, used to cut a Silmaril out of Morgoth’s Iron Crown. But I’m not sure as this would be an iron cutter, not cutters?
    a very good guess, but I am specifically looking for more than one item as the answer =)

ok another hint

its not just more than one item im looking for. its a pair of matching items. one is quite famous. the other, not so much.

Anglachel and Anguirel were 2 swords that Eol, the dark elf forged. These were made from meteoric iron and it was said that they could cut through regular iron.
    So they were "iron cutters" in 2 ways.
    1. They were cutters made from iron.
    2. They could cut through iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Anglachel and Anguirel were 2 swords that Eol, the dark elf forged. These were made from meteoric iron and it was said that they could cut through regular iron.
    So they were "iron cutters" in 2 ways.
    1. They were cutters made from iron.
    2. They could cut through iron.

you are correct sir! Eol was one of my favorite characters....and not as bad a guy IMO as the stories might make him out to seem =)

Next up:

dishonest orofice

Page 68 of 124 FirstFirst ... 18 58 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 78 118 ... LastLast