We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 67 of 124 FirstFirst ... 17 57 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 77 117 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 3091
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    A good guess, but not the character I have in mind.
    ahh a hint! >< now we know its a character...not an object or something else =P ...thinking....

could it be as obvious as Aragorn replacing Denethor?

Could it be Dain, who replaced Thorin as king under the mountain?

You are all thinking along the right lines, however, the character I’m looking for is pre-LOTR and the Hobbit.

Sauron that replaced Morgoth as "the big badass one"? ;P

I'll guess something a little different, undoubtedly incorrect but here it is all the same: Durin the Deathless. Through all it's tribulations, the line of Durin has never failed, and often times the new heir is so like unto his forefather that he has taken the name "Durin" for his own.

A little stretched perhaps, but there's my guess.

You are all thinking along the right lines, however, the character I’m looking for is pre-LOTR and the Hobbit.
    Turgon? he became king after Fingon. or maybe its Fingon who was king after Fingolfin? am I allowed 2 guesses in one post? =P
    Last edited by husaragi; Apr 19 2013 at 12:52 PM.

Some very interesting guesses (I didn’t see Durin coming!), but still not the answer I’m looking for. I’ll summarize and provide an extra hint.

Trivia question: Steady Replacement
    1st Hint: It’s a character
    2nd Hint: The character precedes the events detailed in The Hobbit and LOTR
    3rd Hint: Part of the answer is in the meaning of this character’s name

I will be hosting a family function over the weekend, so if I don't get a chance to respond to your guesses I will do so on Monday. Have a great weekend everyone!

Some very interesting guesses (I didn’t see Durin coming!), but still not the answer I’m looking for. I’ll summarize and provide an extra hint.

Trivia question: Steady Replacement
    1st Hint: It’s a character
    2nd Hint: The character precedes the events detailed in The Hobbit and LOTR
    3rd Hint: Part of the answer is in the meaning of this character’s name

I will be hosting a family function over the weekend, so if I don't get a chance to respond to your guesses I will do so on Monday. Have a great weekend everyone!
    oh! Mardil Voronwe. Gondor's first ruling steward. this has to be it! =P. I thought perhaps Tulkas because of the tulca (strong,steadfast) root, but I think Mardil Voronwe makes more sense, since Tulkas wasnt really a replacement, but an addtion
    Last edited by husaragi; Apr 19 2013 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by husaragi View Post
    oh! Mardil Voronwe. Gondor's first ruling steward. this has to be it! =P. I thought perhaps Tulkas because of the tulca root, but I think Mardil Voronwe makes more sense, since Tulkas wasnt really a replacement, but an addtion
    Excellent work husaragi, a quick answer so you didn’t have to wait for my slow reply over the weekend! Yes, the answer is Mardil Voronwë. As the first ruling steward he was a replacement for the King of Gondor (Eärnur, who has an interesting destiny in the Vol1 Epics in LOTRO), and it is said that Mardil ruled Gondor with a steady hand. His epithet, Voronwë, means "the Steadfast" in Quenya.

Excellent work husaragi, a quick answer so you didn’t have to wait for my slow reply over the weekend! Yes, the answer is Mardil Voronwë. As the first ruling steward he was a replacement for the King of Gondor (Eärnur, who has an interesting destiny in the Vol1 Epics in LOTRO), and it is said that Mardil ruled Gondor with a steady hand. His epithet, Voronwë, means "the Steadfast" in Quenya.
    =) thanks! I am a little disappointed i needed the 3rd hint to make things click! fun question! guess its my turn now. gimme a bit to come up with one =). have a great weekend also =)

ok i think this will either be super easy or nobody will get it =P

Thud Cut

Quote Originally Posted by hollystar28 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm going to have a go at this even though I think I am probably wrong...

Could it be Glamdring, Gandalf's sword?

Glamdring translates as Foe-Hammer, so it is a sword that is also a hammer - hence 'Thud Cut'?

A long shot
    oh no! thats a very good guess! but, not what I was looking for =) i think even a small hint will give it away, so im not giving any just yet =)
    [edit] where did your post go?!
    Last edited by husaragi; Apr 19 2013 at 07:16 PM.

oh no! thats a very good guess! but, not what I was looking for =) i think even a small hint will give it away, so im not giving any just yet =)
    Thank you I had a feeling it wasn't right, but never mind! I'll keep thinking about it.

(Apologies, I didn't mean to delete my first post entirely; I was trying to edit it to figure out how to post under my character instead of account name!)
    Last edited by hollystar28; Apr 19 2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: spelling

ok i think this will either be super easy or nobody will get it =P

Thud Cut
    Could it be Trollshaws?

Quote Originally Posted by Gadmur View Post
    Could it be Trollshaws?

interesting guess! ....but no =/

maybe time for a hint. Hollystar28 was on the right track. just think older.....

Question

Blindshot: Gurthang?

Quote Originally Posted by Urwendil View Post

Blindshot: Gurthang?
    good guess! but not correct. =(.

another hint: this thing could be found in Gondolin for a period of time.

Hmphh... This is quite a difficult riddle indeed. I'm going to make a wild guess: Grond, Hammer of the Underworld. It was in, or at least relatively near Gondolin, wielded by Morgoth. A hammer makes a thud, but I have no idea how the "cut" would fit in (except Fingolfin the elf lord cut Morgoth's leg, but it isn't relevant)... So, most likely this is wrong. :/
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

Quote Originally Posted by Dweorg View Post
    Hmphh... This is quite a difficult riddle indeed. I'm going to make a wild guess: Grond, Hammer of the Underworld. It was in, or at least relatively near Gondolin, wielded by Morgoth. A hammer makes a thud, but I have no idea how the "cut" would fit in (except Fingolfin the elf lord cut Morgoth's leg, but it isn't relevant)... So, most likely this is wrong. :/
    oh man...another really good guess. very interesting logic with the fight between morgoth and fingolfin! but once again, off by a bit.

ok perhaps a more fitting riddle that still means relatively the same thing would have been Thud Sharply. you guys are close. it is indeed a weapon.

Question

Hmm...

Could it be Aeglos, the spear of Gil-galad?

Quote Originally Posted by Urwendil View Post

Hmm...

Could it be Aeglos, the spear of Gil-galad?
    sorry =( another good guess though =). if nobody gets it by tomorrow around my lunch break I will give another clue.

sorry =( another good guess though =). if nobody gets it by tomorrow around my lunch break I will give another clue.
    promised hint

its an axe

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    promised hint

its an axe
    I think I have it.

Dramborleg, the great axe of Tuor (I think it translates as "Thudder-Sharp").
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    I think I have it.

Dramborleg, the great axe of Tuor (I think it translates as "Thudder-Sharp").
    correct! nice job =)

When Tuor dwelt in Gondolin, he carried with him a great axe rather than a sword. Its name was Dramborleg which is translated as 'Thudder-Sharp' because it could strike a thudding blow like a club, but with a sharp cutting edge. The Axe survived the Fall of Gondolin, and was carried across the Sea to Númenor, where it became a royal heirloom. Its ultimate fate is not known with certainty, but it appears to have been lost in the Downfall.
    Last edited by husaragi; Apr 22 2013 at 05:58 PM.

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    In the original post for this thread I stated:

"Lets try to keep the subject material restricted to the major published works that are related to the world of Arda:

The Silmarillion
    The Children Of Hurin
    The Hobbit
    The Lord Of The Rings
    The Adventures Of Tom Bombadil"

Now, I know we haven't always followed that stipulation and I never meant for it to be a hard-and-fast rule.
    But I hope that if you know that you are posting a riddle that falls outside those guidelines you will at least hint at it.

Now that I have set this up, I will explain that the next riddle I am proposing has it's origin in one of those 5 canonical works, but the details come from a different (though still Tolkien) work.
    So, here ya go:

Ten spies
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Page 67 of 124 FirstFirst ... 17 57 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 77 117 ... LastLast