We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 57 of 126 FirstFirst ... 7 47 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 67 107 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 3147
    Quote Originally Posted by knUk20 View Post
    If I ever answer another riddle, I shall strive to give a much more air-tight riddle in response than this go around.
    I tell ya, I really think that is the hardest part of the whole exercise. I can't tell you how many times I have this really cool little nugget I am trying to induce the group to guess and then, bam, four other perfectly acceptable answers come back. In order to elicit the answer I really want, have taken to disqualifying certain responses in advacne when I pose my riddles or else indicating that a certain number of alternative correct responses are required. And even then I find that I have overlooked one or more solutions.

My apologies friends. I forgot it was my turn to ask. I will have something new up today.

Alright, an easy chestnut to keep things moving along:

Beleg lalaith

I mistrust your definition of "easy," but I'll try anyway. "Beleg lalaith" means "mighty laughter," so I propose the laughter of the Witch-king, when he mocked Earnur because his horse ran away.

Appendix A: "Then the Witch-king laughed, and none that heard it ever forgot the horror of that cry."
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e215000000010b3d/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Pierced by the friendship of the mortal races.

That is the correct translation and I will accept the answer. Good find in the appendix.

However, there is another laughter in the text that is greater still if anyone cares to keep guessing for fun.

This is one I thought of a while ago. It might be too easy, but I offer it anyway.

I hope if no one comes back with a solution, Vilnas, you'll enlighten us on the still-mightier laughter.

Gift exchange?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e215000000010b3d/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Circulating mathoms?

No, that would just be gift exchange, I think, not gift exchange?

Fair enough. I will reconsider.

Arwen exchanging her 'Gift of the First-born" to the "Gift of Man"?

You got it! I would also have accepted Luthien, since the gift exchange is the same.

You now have the riddle-stick, Ironcrown.

Quote Originally Posted by iorviel View Post
    You got it! I would also have accepted Luthien, since the gift exchange is the same.

You now have the riddle-stick, Ironcrown.
    OMG!! I finally answered one again! LOL! Now I have to come up with one...so give me a little bit and I'll be right back.

Let's try this one....

single hexagon

Quote Originally Posted by iorviel View Post
    I mistrust your definition of "easy," but I'll try anyway. "Beleg lalaith" means "mighty laughter," so I propose the laughter of the Witch-king, when he mocked Earnur because his horse ran away.

Appendix A: "Then the Witch-king laughed, and none that heard it ever forgot the horror of that cry."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    That is the correct translation and I will accept the answer. Good find in the appendix.

However, there is another laughter in the text that is greater still if anyone cares to keep guessing for fun.
    I would have said Gandalf's laughter after Sam and Frodo awoke safely after the quest. But not sure if that's a "greater" laughter.

Actually, my first thought was one of the Valar laughed and that angered or somehow drove Melkor away (I think) but I'm doubting my recollection. Was it all music or wasn't there also laughter? And my texts are at home.

As for single hexagon... hmmm... /blank face

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar2007 View Post
    Actually, my first thought was one of the Valar laughed and that angered or somehow drove Melkor away (I think) but I'm doubting my recollection.
    This is essentially correct. Melkor was kicking much $!@# until Tulkas arrived, heralded by laughter that filled Arda:

"It is told among the wise that the First War began before Arda was full-shaped, and ere yet there was anything that grew or walked upon earth; and for long Melkor had the upper hand. But in the midst of the war a spirit of great strength and hardihood came to the aid of the Valar, hearing in the far heaven that there was battle in the Little Kingdom; and Arda was filled with the sound of his laughter. So came Tulkas the Strong, whose anger passes like a mighty wind, scattering cloud and darkness before it; and Melkor fled before his wrath and his laughter, and forsook Arda, and there as peace for a long age."

"Tulkas laughs ever, in sport or in war, and even in the face of Melkor he laughed in battles before the Elves were born."

Tulkas really took it to Melkor in the earliest battles, and Melkor would have been completely defeated but for the fact that the Valar got sidetracked attempting to preserve as much of Arda as they could from the destructive force of their clashes.

Later, when the Valar were finally moved to take decisive action against Melkor for fear that he would wholly dominate the soon-to-be-awakened Elves, it was again Tulkas who physically overwhelmed Melkor:

"But at the last the gates of Utumno were broken and the halls unroofed, and Melkor took refuge in the uttermost pit. Then Tulkas stood forth as champion of the Valar and wrestled with [Melkor], and cast him upon his face; and he was bound with the chain Angainor that Aule had wrought, and led captive; and the world had peace for a long age."

Of course, the Valar eventually let Melkor out of his durance in the Halls of Mandos after three ages of the world had passed and Melkor outwardly expressed remorse. Manwe, being pure of heart, was unable to see through Melkor's dissembling. The destruction and sorrow that Melkor wrought was very great, until at last Melkor was defeated again in the War of Wrath and was cast out into the Void. But it is foretold in non-canon writings that Melkor will eventually return in a last battle, akin to a Ragnarok, when he will be defeated by Turin.

For those who have not read the Silmarillion, the "proper" name of Morgoth is Melkor (He who arises in Might). Feanor named him Morgoth (The Black Foe of the World) after Melkor destroyed the Two Trees, slew Feanor's father and stole the Silmarils.

For those who are truly unfamiliar with the greater legendarium, Morgoth was (is) the true villain of the universe, and he fought the other Valar (angels/demigods) to a standstill. Sauron served Morgoth as his lieutenant.
    Last edited by Vilnas; Jul 11 2012 at 02:26 AM.

Aha! I thought of Tulkas, but I couldn't think of a specific instance of a mighty laughter of his. Good riddle.

Anyone?

I know I'm out of practice...it's a bit abstract and possibly not a terribly good clue....maybe I should have stuck with "what do I have in my pockets?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ironcrown View Post
    Anyone?

I know I'm out of practice...it's a bit abstract and possibly not a terribly good clue....maybe I should have stuck with "what do I have in my pockets?"
    but that would have been more than two words!

maybe "My pockets?" would have worked!

And, as Bilbo would say, "Time!" give us some time!

PS - Vilnas - thanks for the detailed explanation. I wanted to pull out my Silmarillion to check but never got back to it yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar2007 View Post
    but that would have been more than two words!

maybe "My pockets?" would have worked!

And, as Bilbo would say, "Time!" give us some time!

PS - Vilnas - thanks for the detailed explanation. I wanted to pull out my Silmarillion to check but never got back to it yesterday.
    LOL...true true...I'll post another clue this afternoon if noone has guessed by then.

As promised...

royal ramp?

A formation of the riders of Rohan?
    Last edited by Andunion; Jul 12 2012 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andunion View Post
    A formation of the riders of Rohan?
    nope, not it.

nope, not it.
    I thought u meant rampage, who's better at rampaging orcs other than The Riders of the Riddermark?

As promised...

royal ramp?
    Just to be clear, "single hexagon" and "royal ramp" both point to the same answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    Just to be clear, "single hexagon" and "royal ramp" both point to the same answer?
    Yes, all meant to describe the answer.

Page 57 of 126 FirstFirst ... 7 47 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 67 107 ... LastLast