We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 48 of 130 FirstFirst ... 38 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 58 98 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 3248

Re: Two-word Tolkien Trivia

Well crud. That is a perfectly satisfactory answer, just not the wickedly difficult one I was looking for. You are awarded the riddle mantle for that response. Nicely done.

I will hold my riddle open on the side if anyone feels inclined to try and guess the rather more obscure instance of a relative coincidence.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    Well crud. That is a perfectly satisfactory answer, just not the wickedly difficult one I was looking for. You are awarded the riddle mantle for that response. Nicely done.

I will hold my riddle open on the side if anyone feels inclined to try and guess the rather more obscure instance of a relative coincidence.
    /grin

I know...Fili and Kili had the same hat size?
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Heh. Not quite. Not so contemporary.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Relative coincidence...

I have it! All the hobbits share a love of piiiiieee! Mmmm pie...

Or....

The fact that Bilbo and Gollum both knew about the Riddle Game?
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    Relative coincidence...

I have it! All the hobbits share a love of piiiiieee! Mmmm pie...

Or....

The fact that Bilbo and Gollum both knew about the Riddle Game?
    Nope and nope. This is an unfortunate coincidence regarding actual relatives.

Relative coincidence:

The cousins, Tour and Turin were both fostered by elves (elves that lived in caves) and both wandered for several years as outlaws.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Turin and Nienor's entire relationship?

Bah. Those are both acceptable answers and still not what I had in mind. Regarding Turin/Nienor, I think the coincidence is that they were both in Brethil at the same time (not exactly a likely event all things considered), whereas their relationship was more a matter of a very unfortunate mistaken identity.

I don't think there is any point in continuing to fish for my preferred answer, as it is now clear to me that there are numerous coincidences involving relatives. The one I had in mind was the unfortunate coincidence that Gwindor of Nargothrond happened to be front and center during the Battle of Unnumbered Tears when his brother Gelmir was mained and executed. Gwindor could not restrain himself and burst for the enemy lines, triggering a generally assault by the Noldor. To that point, the Noldor strategy had been to hold their line behind their bulwarks in the hills. Morgoth's captains understood that they needed to draw out the Noldor and they committed atrocities on their prisoners for that express purpose. Prior to before Gwindor's rashness the Noldor had been maintaining strict discipline in spite of the torment of their captured brethren. It is unclear how the battle - a disastrous defeat for the Noldor - would have unfolded but for the coincidence of Gwindor/Gelmir.
    Last edited by Vilnas; Apr 19 2012 at 12:34 AM.

Vil does this mean you're passing the Riddle-Stick on?
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

I believe the riddle stick was passed to StrideColossus (see posts #1176 and 1175).

Correct Boraxxe. StrideColossus currently holds the totem.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    Correct Boraxxe. StrideColossus currently holds the totem.
    OK here you go:

Floating weed.

Quote Originally Posted by StrideColossus View Post
    OK here you go:

Floating weed.
    The pipeweed from the South Farthing that Merry and Pippin find in the flotsom and jetsom in the aftermath of the Ents destruction of Isenguard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironcrown View Post
    The pipeweed from the South Farthing that Merry and Pippin find in the flotsom and jetsom in the aftermath of the Ents destruction of Isenguard.
    Correct, was a little too easy that one

You're up IronCrown.

WOOT! Finally got one!

There is actually more than one right answer to this clue but extra bonus points for naming the one I am thinking of...

Lost king

Quote Originally Posted by Ironcrown View Post
    WOOT! Finally got one!

There is actually more than one right answer to this clue but extra bonus points for naming the one I am thinking of...

Lost king
    The only one I can think of is aragorn, who (and his elders since isildur) was lost by the people of Gondor.
    For my this is so obvious that I think he is not the one your thinking of.

Lost king:

Eanur, the last king of Gondor before Elessar (Aragorn).
    The Witch King goaded Eanur into single combat. Eanur and a small contingent of nights ventured into Minas Morgul to take up the challenge and were never heard from again. Thus began the rule of the Stewards.

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Lost king:

Eanur, the last king of Gondor before Elessar (Aragorn).
    The Witch King goaded Eanur into single combat. Eanur and a small contingent of nights ventured into Minas Morgul to take up the challenge and were never heard from again. Thus began the rule of the Stewards.
    That is one of the correct answers I'll accept! And back to you Boraxxe!

Quote Originally Posted by Rothandor View Post
    The only one I can think of is aragorn, who (and his elders since isildur) was lost by the people of Gondor.
    For my this is so obvious that I think he is not the one your thinking of.
    I think the line of North is rejected more than lost (save one) so Aragorn isn't one of the lost kings.

Here is the next one:

Dwarf egg

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Here is the next one:

Dwarf egg
    This brings to mind the visual imagery of certain barrels arriving in Laketown from Mirkwood and, upon being "cracked open", revealing dwarves tucked neatly inside.
    ...when in doubt...twirl...

Quote Originally Posted by Reaboj View Post
    This brings to mind the visual imagery of certain barrels arriving in Laketown from Mirkwood and, upon being "cracked open", revealing dwarves tucked neatly inside.
    Interesting logic.
    Sounds like breakfast for a dragon, but not the answer I am looking for.

Fried (not poached) and preferably unbroken.

On further consideration, that would probably be the answer to "dwarf eggs" rather than "dwarf egg."

As it happens, you are probably looking for the Nimphelos - the pearl given by Thingol to the chieftain of Belegost, which was said to be the size of a dove's egg.

The arkenstone

Page 48 of 130 FirstFirst ... 38 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 58 98 ... LastLast