We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 33 of 127 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 83 ... LastLast

Re: Two-word Tolkien Trivia

Ohhh... I think I know that one... but I'll give someone else a chance...
    [CENTER][LEFT][HR][/HR]When I get bored, I'll let you know.[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

Well, I'll bite. Quickbeam the Ent.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)

Grats Vilnas, that is it of course.
    Hoping for another good one.
    Your turn.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    Wow. What a bizarre coincidence. That is a great answer and it hurts my heart to reject it. Unfortunately, the "#79" means the number seventy-nine, rather than a juxtaposition of seven and nine. If I hadn't already given the hint that the set that 79 is a member of is well-known but non-JRRT, I would simply tip my cap and award you the prize. Crazy coincidence for my riddle that LotR has seven and nine burial mounds side by side.
    That's alright, Vilnas. During the humble acceptance speech I was planning, I was going to graciously say that without Boraxxe's mention of "mounds" I'd never have thought of that line.

But now rather than credit, I can apportion him blame instead. :P
    [CENTER][I][FONT=Garamond]* * *
    [/FONT][/I][FONT=Palatino Linotype]"From without the World, though all things may be forethought in music or foreshown in vision from afar, to those who enter verily into Eä each in its time shall be met at unawares as something new and unforetold."[/FONT]
    [/CENTER]

Alright, here is a truly awful one:

End dependent

I'm warning you, it is so bad I plan on replacing it as soon as I can think of something more reasonable. The answer is a single word that is pure Middle-earth, but once again the process of reaching the solution has nothing to do with JRRT lore. It relies entirely on word-play and requires a kind of thinking that has not been used in our riddle threads before.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

OK, I'll try...

End Dependent
    Last Child
    Last Son (of Numenor???)

Aragorn?

[/CENTER]

A fine effort. I cannot accept it because Aragorn was not in fact the last son of Numenor - there being other Dunedain. I doubt he was even the last descendent of Elendil (although he was certainly the last in the direct line of descent of the kings and chieftains of the Dunedain).

In any event, your approach is on the wrong track in terms of my intended answer. The riddle is actually very simple. Just stay within the clue.

Hmmm.... if it is "truly awful wordplay..."

I offer a truly "pun"ishing answer:

End Dependent
    End Da Pendant
    End The Pendant (Frodo wore the ring on a chain around his neck, like a pendant...)

one word:
    Orodruin? (Mt. Doom)

[/CENTER]

Another fine offering, but no puns required. I think you starting to get on the right track by going with word manipulation.

I really need to come up with a suitable replacement. Hopefully inspiration will strike by tomorrow morning.

*Edit: I am going to take that last one after all. It fit my original statement pretty well since I warned about the answer being "awful" and "bad" which are usually code words for puns. After thinking about it for another 30 seconds I feel that it was simply too creative to reject. Your turn good sir (or madame, as the case may be).
    Last edited by Vilnas; Aug 11 2011 at 01:38 AM.

Out of curiosity, what was the original answer you had in mind?

Here's my next offering:

Can't Elope. The answer is one word, and this puzzle also involves word play. The clue should lead to a single word, from which the answer should follow.

[/CENTER]

Speak friend and enter.
    Pedo mellon a minno.

Mellon.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Correct! Your turn...

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Simplyhere View Post
    Out of curiosity, what was the original answer you had in mind?
    Not telling. I'm saving it for later in hopes that I can improve it enough to make a fair riddle.

Vilnas, I've been afk a lot lately due to real life stuff, but my guess on your previous one was Ereinion (sp? don't have a book handy) Gil-Galad. I recall Gil-Galad's original name meaning something about scion. I just wanted to throw that in. Most of the time I'm too straight analytical to do well at riddles, this one just struck me funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulkfather View Post
    Vilnas, I've been afk a lot lately due to real life stuff, but my guess on your previous one was Ereinion (sp? don't have a book handy) Gil-Galad. I recall Gil-Galad's original name meaning something about scion. I just wanted to throw that in. Most of the time I'm too straight analytical to do well at riddles, this one just struck me funny.
    According to the Encyclopedia of Arda, Ereinion means "descendent of kings" and Gil-galad means "star of radiance." Gil-galad is generally considered to have been the last high king of the Noldor in Middle-earth,and I believe that Gil-galad was indeed the last descendent of the House of Fingolfin (although not the last of the House of Finwe).

As to whether he is the answer to my erstwhile riddle, that wasn't what I had in mind although it would work along the lines of Simplyhere's first offering.

I'm going to completely withdraw that "End dependent" riddle from consideration. I think I have a way of expanding on the concept I was going for there and repackaging it in a greatly improved form. It will appear again some day, probably in the Riddle Game thread.
    Last edited by Vilnas; Aug 11 2011 at 05:30 PM.

And here is the next one:

Right choice

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    And here is the next one:

Right choice
    Gandalf lead the fellowship to a fork in the road in Moria, and chose to follow the right-hand path.
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by sir-rinthian View Post
    Gandalf lead the fellowship to a fork in the road in Moria, and chose to follow the right-hand path.
    Exactly...(it was actually a 3-way choice, but he did choose the path on the right)...your turn

Neat... I haven't been right in forever

Lets go with...

Firm Circle

(Btw, some forks have 3 prongs... But you're right, that isn't really a fork...)
    Last edited by sir-rinthian; Aug 12 2011 at 02:13 AM.
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

So... how long do I wait before I assume everyone is stumped?

Ah well...

Hint; If you're seeing stars, you're on the right track to finding this.
    Last edited by sir-rinthian; Aug 14 2011 at 09:21 PM.

Synonyms are the key to this one...

I thought this when I first saw your riddle, but it must surely be wrong.

Haradrim

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    I thought this when I first saw your riddle, but it must surely be wrong.

Haradrim
    I'm afraid that is wrong...

I really rather like this riddle when I first came up with it a couple weeks ago, but now I'm just annoyed by it because it's clearly too vague.

Finland, having a costume party with Jon Sandheaver

The Sickle of Valar aka Valacirca aka Big Dipper aka Otava (in finnish)? There is kinda .. circle there . . . maybe And IIRC it represents the capture of Morgoth so it's sort of a shackle. . umm?

The ring of Isengard

Page 33 of 127 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 83 ... LastLast