We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 31 of 127 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 41 81 ... LastLast

Re: Two-word Tolkien Trivia

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    Starkhorn

Very devious Sylux. I fear I had to use an internet assist on this one, but since it has been two weeks since you had posed the question I felt I had better go that route. At least with your latest hint I knew exactly what I was looking for.

"A mighty snow-clad peak that rose in the inner regions of the White Mountains. From its feet sprang the Snowbourn River, whose widening valley ran northwards through the mountains to emerge onto the plains of Rohan. The Rohirrim called that valley Harrowdale, and built their courts of Edoras at its mouth, from where the lonely white peak of the Starkhorn could be seen along the straight length of the valley."
    I look forward to your riddle, Vilnas!
    [URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=279975]My first raid idea.[/URL]
    [URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?328485-Enedwaith-Raid-Zigil-D%FBm]The Third[/URL]
    [URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?317179-Non-radiance-gated-Flaming-Deeps-raid-Gh%E2sh-lug]The Second[/URL] (Technically the third, but the real second one I have disowned!)

Alright, I'm going to try and make this one as intentionally difficult as I can:

Forest breeze.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Alright, I'm going to try and make this one as intentionally difficult as I can:

Forest breeze.
    Old Man Willow's whispering and wind-noises come to mind...

Alternately, the Huorns moved like a dark and swift wind over the earth - a literal forest breeze?
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by sir-rinthian View Post
    Old Man Willow's whispering and wind-noises come to mind...

Alternately, the Huorns moved like a dark and swift wind over the earth - a literal forest breeze?
    Creative answers, but not what I had in mind, and not airtight enough for me to award the cup for an alternative answer.

This is going to require some lateral thinking.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)

Forest breeze:

Withywindle (willow-winding)

I'm pretty sure this is wrong but heck, maybe I'll get another clue....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVSdA...layer_embedded
    Last edited by Boraxxe; Jul 17 2011 at 04:36 PM.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Perhaps you're thinking of the breeze Bilbo felt when he emerged above the trees in Mirkwood, after climbing up?
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Perhaps you're thinking of the breeze Bilbo felt when he emerged above the trees in Mirkwood, after climbing up?
    Hmm. I have no idea how to disqualify that. You may take that as the winner if you like. If you want to keep guessing, I'm looking for something that isn't actually a forest breeze, but a two step process using synonyms of the original clue. It's up to you Sir-rinthian.

Forest breeze --> Woodwinds --> Flutes (Dori, Ori, and Nori brought flutes to the Unexpected Party)
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Forest breeze --> Woodwinds --> Flutes (Dori, Ori, and Nori brought flutes to the Unexpected Party)
    That's a really good guess... If you end up right, you can have the riddlers cup - if not, I'll see what I can come up with...

Edit: Oooh.... I know what I could ask... *giggles mischievously*
    Last edited by sir-rinthian; Jul 17 2011 at 06:53 PM.

That was indeed my intended answer - either that or clarinets. Nicely done. I will leave it to you and Sir-rinthian to determine who goes next.

Ok. Here is the next one.
    This is either really easy or really hard. I have proven that I cannot determine what other folks find easy to solve.

Cordial stag.

Ok. Here is the next one.
    This is either really easy or really hard. I have proven that I cannot determine what other folks find easy to solve.

Cordial stag.
    The only stag I can remember in any of the books is the one shot by Thorin at the black river in Mirkwood. The one that was polite enough to drop dead just on the other side of the river where they couldn't get it

The only stag I can remember in any of the books is the one shot by Thorin at the black river in Mirkwood. The one that was polite enough to drop dead just on the other side of the river where they couldn't get it
    An interesting and literal answer, but incorrect.
    One way I would describe a riddle is that in essence it is word play.

Vacation time = clue time

This is similar to Vilnas' last one in that synonyms are your friends. It's not a two-step though.

I wonder.... Synonyms and antonyms, maybe?

The Bullroarer? Bull = synonym of Stag, and roarer would kind of be an antonym of cordial.

Being that it's been a week with no activity here, anyone want a spare riddle to guess just for fun?
    Last edited by sir-rinthian; Jul 24 2011 at 11:30 PM.

I wonder.... Synonyms and antonyms, maybe?

The Bullroarer? Bull = synonym of Stag, and roarer would kind of be an antonym of cordial.

Being that it's been a week with no activity here, anyone want a spare riddle to guess just for fun?
    Still on the wrong track.
    Synonyms are what is needed....BTW, both cordial and stag are used in this riddle as nouns.

Still on the wrong track.
    Synonyms are what is needed....BTW, both cordial and stag are used in this riddle as nouns.
    When you first introduced this, my first though on "cordial" was miruvor, the cordial of Imladris. Still not seeing how that fits in with stag though.

When you first introduced this, my first though on "cordial" was miruvor, the cordial of Imladris. Still not seeing how that fits in with stag though.
    Now you are on the right track, just the wrong words. There are other cordials...
    Last edited by Boraxxe; Jul 25 2011 at 01:31 PM. Reason: added note about cordials

Now you are on the right track, just the wrong words. There are other cordials...
    Miruvor was also sometimes referred to as the "liquor" of Imladris. It could be you are using that somehow, or it may be that you are going for another type of cordial altogether.

Still not sure how to tie it to stag though. I had actually been thinking of "stag" in the sense of "solo" rather than "antlered deer" but you said it was being used as a noun.

Miruvor was also sometimes referred to as the "liquor" of Imladris. It could be you are using that somehow, or it may be that you are going for another type of cordial altogether. Yes, the "liquor" sense.

Still not sure how to tie it to stag though. I had actually been thinking of "stag" in the sense of "solo" rather than "antlered deer" but you said it was being used as a noun. Yes
    You are on the right track.

DOH! [Bangs head on desk several times...]

#!@&*! [Grumbles more under breath at own stupidity..]

Brandybuck

Brandybuck
    Bingo!

Your turn.

That was a good one. I can't believe how long it took for the light to come on.

Here is my offering:

Interment #79

Just looking for a clarification:

You entered Interment, not internment. You did not intend internment.

Just looking for a clarification:

You entered Interment, not internment. You did not intend internment.
    Yep, I wrote it the way I intended. I meant "interment" with only one "n."

Page 31 of 127 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 41 81 ... LastLast