We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 29 of 130 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 79 129 ... LastLast

Re: Two-word Tolkien Trivia

That first one was clever, but not quite what I had in mind.

Sylux, that answer definitely works. S'pose I made it a bit ambiguous. Anyway, it's not quite what I had in mind, but it's very close.
    If the elves had had a guy who could wipe out Sauron and his army single handedly with alphabet blocks, they would not have sent along a hunter. -Forusrname
    He Who Scalips
    Il sérarwa nar il tulca.

First thing that came to my mind was Eowyn skewering the WK.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Also a good answer. However, also not what I was after.

I'll give you this bit of hint, though: the first word is in reference to what the shishkebab is made out of(similar to a beef shishkebab).
    If the elves had had a guy who could wipe out Sauron and his army single handedly with alphabet blocks, they would not have sent along a hunter. -Forusrname
    He Who Scalips
    Il sérarwa nar il tulca.

Sam stabbing Shelob as she would otherwise have taken Frodo and "stopped" his fate by eating him

'Fraid not.

Since it's been a few days, I'll add this clue: The "fatestopper" is explicitly referred to as one who could prevent fate within the text.
    He Who Scalips
    Il sérarwa nar il tulca.

*bump*

Don't want this getting too far down the list, or we'll never guess the answer!
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Best thing I've got is Snowmane "getting himself" between the Witch-King and Théoden.

Sure that no shishkebab has horse meat (I suppose O_o), but horse is the closest thing to lamb I could think off... or are we talking about a hobbit?
    Retired for good.

'Fraid not. I'm using shishkebab in the sense of "meat on a stick." At least where I come from, you can have beef shishkebabs, shrimp, &c. In this case, the ingredient in question is someone explicitly referred to as being able to prevent fate.
    He Who Scalips
    Il sérarwa nar il tulca.

Could you narrow it down to what book you got this from please?

Quote Originally Posted by CarsontheSage View Post
    Could you narrow it down to what book you got this from please?
    Sure, it's from The Silmarillion
    He Who Scalips
    Il sérarwa nar il tulca.

Celebrimbor?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Turin? (Turambar - Master of faith)
    Retired for good.

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)

Finduilas

She was pinned to a tree.

The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face
    This has to end. I do not play LOTRO because I want to gamble. I play LOTRO because I like the game.
    Buying keys is not playing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Finduilas

That has to be correct. I remember now the part about Turin being able to avoid his fate if he saved Finduilas.

Nice riddle Scaliper, and well answered Boraxxe (even if for some reason it turns out not to be the intended response).
    Last edited by Vilnas; Jun 24 2011 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    That has to be correct. I remember now the part about Turin being able to avoid his fate if he saved Finduilas.

Nice riddle Scaliper, and well answered Boraxxe (even if for some reason it turns out not to be the intended response).
    Yes, it was Gwindor that said;

Haste thee to Nargothrond, and save Finduilas. And this last I say to thee: she alone stands between thee and thy doom. If thou fail her, it shall not fail to find thee. Farewell!'

This has to end. I do not play LOTRO because I want to gamble. I play LOTRO because I like the game.

Finduilas

Yup, that's correct Well done.
    He Who Scalips
    Il sérarwa nar il tulca.

Quote Originally Posted by scaliper View Post
    Yup, that's correct Well done.
    Great!
    I agree with Vilnas, that was an interesting (if frustrating) riddle. You had us all digging deep.

Now I have what I hope is another challenging one. This will be one of those "two-step" two-word riddles. I don't remember right now who started this particular twist, but I like it. The concept: the clue will lead to another clue that will lead to the answer. The road it takes may or may not be related to the professor's work, but will end up there.

Dwarves' princess
    Last edited by Boraxxe; Jun 24 2011 at 05:38 PM. Reason: fixed punctuation

Dwarves's
    Could you confirm the "s's" on that?

Could you confirm the "s's" on that?
    Thanks. I will fix it. (one too many esses, preciousssss)

Thanks. I will fix it. (one too many esses, preciousssss)
    Ah, that is too bad. I was hoping it was part of the clue. ; )

Ah, that is too bad. I was hoping it was part of the clue. ; )
    Hoping it was Gollum speaking?
    "Has it been hanging out with Dwarveses precious? Hmmm? Has it precioussss?"

Dís, sister of Thorin II Oakenshield and daughter of Thráin II, King-in-exile.
    My first raid idea.
    The Third
    The Second (Technically the third, but the real second one I have disowned!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sylux14 View Post
    Dís, sister of Thorin II Oakenshield and daughter of Thráin II, King-in-exile.
    I believe that would be the correct answer were this riddle presented in the conventional form. However, Borraxe indicated this is a two-step riddle, in which the clue points to an interim answer (which need not be JRRT lore-based), which suggests a final answer that is based in JRRT lore.

Dwarves' princess => Snow White

Snow White => Aredhel Ar-Feiniel, the White Lady of the Noldor

I could be wrong about Aredhel, as there may be a better JRRT response that is a literal hit for the "Snow White" clue. But I'm pretty certain about Snow White as the interim step.

Boraxxe, in response to your musing on how this format got started, I did that (for better or worse) with "Oublietted Royal" => Man in the Iron Mask => Azaghal, Lord of Belegost
    Last edited by Vilnas; Jun 25 2011 at 02:37 AM.

Vilnas has already solved half of it. But when I saw 'Snow White' I remembered a mountain. From Galadriel's Lament "An sí Tintallë Varda Oiolossëo"

Dwarves' Princess -> Snow White -> Taniquetil or its other name Oiolosse
    "Aurë Entuluva!"

Thanks Vilnas for getting this twist going.
    I see we have our dancing shoes on (for the Tolkien two-word two-step).

Indeed you have taken the first step by naming Snow White.
    But you'll need to try harder to get the second step right.

Edit: after I took a second look, I see than Elenluin has almost correctly taken the second step.
    The mountain is close to the correct answer, but I must call this a mis-step.
    Last edited by Boraxxe; Jun 25 2011 at 04:00 PM.

Page 29 of 130 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 79 129 ... LastLast