We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 21 of 130 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 71 121 ... LastLast

Re: Two-word Tolkien Trivia

Oooo, I have an idea...

The Black Arrow? Bard said that he always recovered it, so in a sense it returned. It also buried itself clean past the fletching in Smaug, so it had quite the bite.

A bit less likely, "One for the shire! The Hobbit's blade bites deep."

Sting was an old Goblin War dagger, returned to fight goblins again, albeit in different hands and in a different place.
    Last edited by sir-rinthian; May 11 2011 at 12:20 AM.
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Sir Rinthian, I like both your answers, but by my way of thinking the "returning biter" I have in mind is both literal and metaphorical in nature.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001019a8/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    "Of course I am the only elf in the village"

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)

A bit of a stretch, but here goes:

Shelob was certainly a biter.
    She would bite her prey to incapacitate them, them wrap 'em up and return when they were juiced up to enjoy her meal.
    It is also thought that she is the spawn of Ungoliant, so she is "returning" in that sense as well.
    And we all remember her circular bulbous putrid body.
    Yuck...I just creeped myself out.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

The Ring of Barahir
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    The Ring of Barahir
    Well done Vilnas.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Thanks. Let's see if it is actually right. :P
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

The ring of Barahir has a 2 headed serpent biting a golden crown as it is circular it returns physically and it was returned by the Lossoth to the Dunedain after the death of Arvedui, so I will award it to Vilnas, however I was looking for the Dragons tooth necklace made by Fram the slayer of the cold drake Scatha. The insulting gift of this necklace to the dwarves who had a claim on Scathas treasure returned to bite Fram when they avenged the insult and killed him, thus starting the antipathy of the northmen towards the dwarves that lasted untill the time of Gimli.
    Last edited by Morthaur; May 11 2011 at 09:04 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001019a8/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    "Of course I am the only elf in the village"

Wow, that is an excellent lore nugget Morthaur.

Here is a simple little morsel to tide the group over for, oh, about 5 minutes:

First borne

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    First borne
    Assuming you are using "borne" to mean approximately "carried" as in carried by eagles; I think the first to ever be carried by eagles were Beren and Luthien after being hassled by Carcharoth.

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Assuming you are using "borne" to mean approximately "carried" as in carried by eagles; I think the first to ever be carried by eagles were Beren and Luthien after being hassled by Carcharoth.
    That answer is incorrect. And yes, I am deliberately not confirming whether you are on the right track. Rawr.

I mis-read Vilnas' post and saw "incorrect" as "correct".....wishful thinking?
    I will save the clue below for some other day.

Ok, here's another. This may not take too long either.

Dragon speech
    Last edited by Boraxxe; May 12 2011 at 07:58 PM.

For the fist borne, I would guess the Vanyar. They were the first to be borne over water to Valinor.
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

For my first guess I'm going to say the first 3 Elf Lords, Ingwe, Finwe, and Elwe (aka Thingol) as they were the first of the Elves to see the light of the Two Trees in Valinor.

If we're referring to the Eagles, then my second guess would be Fingon and Maedhros after Maedhros was freed from the side of Thangorodrim.

Eodread, Earendel, Isilmacil - Horizon
    Thattickles, Thangorodread - Table Smashers

Quote Originally Posted by Isilmacil View Post
    If we're referring to the Eagles, then my second guess would be Fingon and Maedhros after Maedhros was freed from the side of Thangorodrim.
    This is correct, although technically the answer is Fingon only, who got a ride by himself a few minutes before both he and Maedhros were carried away to safety. I had forgotten about Fingon being lifted up to the rock face by Thorondor in order to free Maedhros until I re-read the Silmarillion recently, and thought it might make a nice little clue for an hour or two.

I will distinguish Sir-rinthian's answer on the grounds that it is non-specific (i.e., referring to an entire race). I might have had to accept Isilmacil's other answer (being, as I understand it, the specific version of Sir-rithian's proposal), but fortunately he also offered the Fingon/Thorondor incident. I prefer to think of the verb "to bear" as relating to an animate method of locomotion rather than an inanimate mode. Thus, I would not normally think of being borne by a car, train, airplane or ship. However, I do think of being borne by a horse. But that may just be me, and I know that poetically we do talk about being borne across the waves, etc. All of which is simply to say that my preferred answer is Fingon/Thorondor.
    Last edited by Vilnas; May 12 2011 at 08:26 PM.

Woot! And yes I forgot the mention the specific eagle, as I couldn't remember whether it was Thorondor or just some other generic great eagle.

Alright, for mine, it was just one that came to mind, will be interesting to see how it goes.

Lost Legacy

Arwen's legacy, which Celebrian hid in a cave just outside of the gateway to Rivendell, and which no one knew about except for Glorfindel, although he somehow neglected to mention it to Elrond or Arwen until a stranger from Breeland arrived and started asking questions...

Although somehow that doesn't seem quite the answer you were looking for.

Yep, you would be incorrect. Although it would fit the category to some degree, Turbine creation only :/

Lost legacy

Could this be the Elendilmir that was lost when Isildur was slain?

Good guess, but also incorrect.

I must be on the wrong track, but I will give it another try.

Thrain lost the last of the 7 Dwarf Rings of Power while imprisoned in Dol Guldur.
    This was given to him by his father Thror.

Another good guess, but unfortunately not what I'm looking for. All I'll say is try to look away from physical objects.

Ah, I think I've got it.

This may be a bit fractured. It is from The Really Lost Tales.

Now it came to be that after 30 years of the Sun had passed beyond the coming of Glaurung, a son of the Teleri ventured unto the shores of the sea. This Teleri was known by the name of Raumondir and seeing there peace and fresh airs blowing shoreward, he set up his house and did establish a small people there fishing and harvesting from the bounty of the sea.
    A day came in the winter of that year when Raumondir was out in one of the small boats that those people were known for crafting that a great wave came up from the depths and dashed the small boat against the rocks on the shore. Raumondir was gravely injured so much that his left leg was completely severed from his body.
    At this time Ulmo came forth from the depths and seeing the plight of the unfortunate Terleri, he fashioned for him a leg from the stuff of the sea and attached it to Raumondir .
    Now the nature of this leg was that Raumondir could remove it at will when he chose to rest.
    One day while out in a boat fishing he removed the leg for a great itching had come upon him. Just at that time a great fish took hold of the bait of his line and the boat was rocked almost to overturning and the leg was washed overboard.
    To Raumondir this was a great tragedy. A Lost Leg ‘O Sea.

You did say to look away from physical objects. Then I say the long lifespan that was given to the Kings of Numenor.
    "Aurë Entuluva!"

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Ah, I think I've got it.

This may be a bit fractured. It is from The Really Lost Tales.

Now it came to be that after 30 years of the Sun had passed beyond the coming of Glaurung, a son of the Teleri ventured unto the shores of the sea. This Teleri was known by the name of Raumondir and seeing there peace and fresh airs blowing shoreward, he set up his house and did establish a small people there fishing and harvesting from the bounty of the sea.
    A day came in the winter of that year when Raumondir was out in one of the small boats that those people were known for crafting that a great wave came up from the depths and dashed the small boat against the rocks on the shore. Raumondir was gravely injured so much that his left leg was completely severed from his body.
    At this time Ulmo came forth from the depths and seeing the plight of the unfortunate Terleri, he fashioned for him a leg from the stuff of the sea and attached it to Raumondir .
    Now the nature of this leg was that Raumondir could remove it at will when he chose to rest.
    One day while out in a boat fishing he removed the leg for a great itching had come upon him. Just at that time a great fish took hold of the bait of his line and the boat was rocked almost to overturning and the leg was washed overboard.
    To Raumondir this was a great tragedy. A Lost Leg ‘O Sea.
    To this one I don't ever recall reading, which I thought I had read most of Tolkien's works, but once again i'm going to have to say incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Elenluin-Menelloth View Post
    You did say to look away from physical objects. Then I say the long lifespan that was given to the Kings of Numenor.
    This one is more on the right track, but still incorrect. Now while they did lose the length of years they could live as Numenor became corrupted, but even in Middle Earth some amongst the descendents of Numenor had long life, such as Aragorn living until he was over 200 years old (don't recall the exact number). So they never fully lost this legacy, it just weakened over the years.

The gift of Animal-speech.

Beorn and his family are the only ones who can still speak to Bears.

Aragorn seems to still be able to speak, in some fashion, to Horses.

Old Thrush can speak, and references a time when it was common, since he is the last of the talking birds.

All of these are possibilities of legacies that have been lost, save for one individual.

Page 21 of 130 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 71 121 ... LastLast