We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 16 of 130 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 66 116 ... LastLast

Re: Two-word Tolkien Trivia

Quote Originally Posted by Isilmacil View Post
    For the towhead royal, an idea for me would be Cirdan of the grey havens? While his hair wasn't blonde, it could be the same colour of of the sandbar in the gulf of Lhun. Plus he could be considered royalty, since from as far back as before Morgoth's return to middle earth he was lord of the havens, both in Beleriand and Eriador.
    This one got me thinking, and I would submit Galadriel as my guess, being Queen of Lorien and having golden-colored hair.
    If the elves had had a guy who could wipe out Sauron and his army single handedly with alphabet blocks, they would not have sent along a hunter. -Forusrname
    He Who Scalips
    Il sérarwa nar il tulca.

Quote Originally Posted by Isilmacil View Post
    For the towhead royal, an idea for me would be Cirdan of the grey havens? While his hair wasn't blonde, it could be the same colour of of the sandbar in the gulf of Lhun. Plus he could be considered royalty, since from as far back as before Morgoth's return to middle earth he was lord of the havens, both in Beleriand and Eriador.
    Quote Originally Posted by scaliper View Post
    This one got me thinking, and I would submit Galadriel as my guess, being Queen of Lorien and having golden-colored hair.
    Thanks for your guesses! Unfortunately, it's neither Cirdan nor Galadriel. The hint rules Galadriel out outright, as she was neither male nor was her hair "most certainly not blond(e)".
    As for Cirdan, I'm not sure, is his physical appearance ever described? I couldn't determine. Whatever his appearance, he's not the king in question.

No guesses on swift swine? In my mind that's an easy one, but I think it's usually the case that a riddle is harder than the maker thinks.
    Last edited by JohnFoam; Mar 26 2011 at 04:40 PM.
    Landroval: Losmir(Elf Hunt.)/Oligar(Dwarf Champ.)/Odopopel(Hobbit Burg.)/Annunaglar(Elf Guard.)/Cottish(Hobbit Ward.)
    Landroval 'moors: Unngrash(Reaver)/Grimesh(BlackArrow)/Likkrish(Defiler)

Swift swine: Hamfast "the Gaffer" Gamgee, father of Samwise Gamgee.
    [URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=279975]My first raid idea.[/URL]
    [URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?328485-Enedwaith-Raid-Zigil-D%FBm]The Third[/URL]
    [URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?317179-Non-radiance-gated-Flaming-Deeps-raid-Gh%E2sh-lug]The Second[/URL] (Technically the third, but the real second one I have disowned!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sylux14 View Post
    Swift swine: Hamfast "the Gaffer" Gamgee, father of Samwise Gamgee.
    Exactly right!

Now, any guess on the towhead royal?
    Landroval: Losmir(Elf Hunt.)/Oligar(Dwarf Champ.)/Odopopel(Hobbit Burg.)/Annunaglar(Elf Guard.)/Cottish(Hobbit Ward.)

Could the Towhead royal be Turgon or Glorfindel? Just a shot in the dark...

If not, I'm stumped...
    [URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=279975]My first raid idea.[/URL]
    [URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?328485-Enedwaith-Raid-Zigil-D%FBm]The Third[/URL]
    [URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?317179-Non-radiance-gated-Flaming-Deeps-raid-Gh%E2sh-lug]The Second[/URL] (Technically the third, but the real second one I have disowned!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sylux14 View Post
    Could the Towhead royal be Turgon or Glorfindel? Just a shot in the dark...

If not, I'm stumped...
    Unfortunately, no, neither of those.

What's the protocol in the thread for stumpers? Do they linger indefinitely, or should we set a deadline at which time I reluctantly explain the answer if it has not been gotten?

At the very least, I do have another hint in mind...say if no right answer by Monday.

Because it seems this is a king of blonde people who is not himself blonde, I say Wulf son of Freca who claimed descent from Freawine. He took Edoras and called himself king, though his hair like his father was probably dark.
    "Aurë Entuluva!"

Quote Originally Posted by Elenluin-Menelloth View Post
    Because it seems this is a king of blonde people who is not himself blonde, I say Wulf son of Freca who claimed descent from Freawine. He took Edoras and called himself king, though his hair like his father was probably dark.
    Congratulations on a really very interesting and excellent answer, but, alas, an incorrect one. Qualitatively best guess so far --so good I almost wish it was the answer I had made the clue for, but this does not mean it is close either in the thinking or in the answer itself. As for the thinking, although you made good use of the hint by the notion of a most probably dark-haired Dunlendish-blooded "king" of the fair-haired ("towheaded"/"strawheads") people of Rohan, it's still not the multi-layered wordplay I had in mind.
    Last edited by JohnFoam; Apr 02 2011 at 09:00 PM.

Good to know that it was an interesting answer. I'll think through it again, thanks for the excellent riddle.
    "Aurë Entuluva!"

Quote Originally Posted by Elenluin-Menelloth View Post
    Good to know that it was an interesting answer. I'll think through it again, thanks for the excellent riddle.
    I hope you still think it's excellent when the answer is revealed!

So it's Monday and no correct guess, so here's another hint.

This "towhead" may not truly have been blond, but nor was he truly blind, yet...

Didn't Borraxe originally state that a question must uniquely fit one single answer? Edit: Nevermind - that must have been in the other Tolkien Trivia thread...

Methinks it's about time to start a second chain of questions while people ponder on this one.
    Last edited by sir-rinthian; Apr 06 2011 at 02:09 PM.
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by sir-rinthian View Post
    Didn't Borraxe originally state that a question must uniquely fit one single answer? Edit: Nevermind - that must have been in the other Tolkien Trivia thread...

Methinks it's about time to start a second chain of questions while people ponder on this one.
    Probably a good idea to keep the thread moving. Sylux14 gave the correct answer to the Swift Swine, so he would qualify for supplying the next clue.

I can give the answer if wanted, but I hate to see nobody get it. Keep thinking about this "blind 'blond'" of mine...
    Last edited by JohnFoam; Apr 06 2011 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sir-rinthian View Post
    I do agree that we should try and avoid the "guess what I am thinking" types of questions. Unfortunately I often find that what I thought was a riddle with a unique answer turns out to have several viable alternative solutions that I hadn't considered. My personal rule of thumb is that if I can't exclude a proposed answer on some technical point that is grounded in my question then I will accept it even if it is not my intended solution. If that happens I do like to keep my questions open as a sideline in hopes that someone will eventually reach my preferred answer. In the long form trivia thread I would sometimes pose questions I found interesting (but which I knew had multiple potential answers) in the form of "name the four characters that..." And sure enough it would turn out that there were six. :P
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    My personal rule of thumb is that if I can't exclude a proposed answer on some technical point that is grounded in my question then I will accept it even if it is not my intended solution. If that happens I do like to keep my questions open as a sideline in hopes that someone will eventually reach my preferred answer.
    Good point, so I thought I should recap and make clear why the various answers so far are wrong. None of them are "correct alternative answers"; they all have clear and specific technical reasons for being wrong.

So to recap:
    The clue is Towhead?? Royal. (Question marks, as noted, indicate double wordplay)

First hint: After his ilk, the hair on this king's head was most certainly not blond. Yet...

Second hint: This "towhead" may not truly have been blond, but nor was he truly blind, yet...

The answers:
    1)Cair Andros. This is the only guess that was given before I amended the clue to explicitly indicate wordplay, but it was not capable of being correct to begin with because an actual towhead in the sense of an "island," (or a blond/e head of hair, often tousled) which the guesser took it to be, is properly a sandbar; which Cair Andros certainly isn't. So it would've been incorrect even if the "towhead" was not meant to involve wordplay. Furthermore, there really isn't anything truly "royal" about the island. Point, however, is moot because the guess led me to see that I'd better let guessers know there is wordplay involved to be fair (to avoid the "guess what I'm thinking" aspect).

2)Theoden. A solid guess, nicely based on the word "strawhead," but incorrect because it disregarded the wordplay, taking "towhead" in one of its definitions and taking it to literally mean the hair on the royal's head was blond. Prompting me to elaborate on the concept of the wordplay in the first hint by making clear that "towhead" does not mean the king was actually blond (or actually a sandbar). I'd like to insert a comment here: "most certainly," it could be noted, leaves an interesting room for marginal uncertainty. A small margin of uncertainty such as that may leave undescribed characters in the realm of possibility, but it technically rules out any character who was 100% certainly described as blond.

3)Cirdan. Incorrect, and a shot in the dark by my estimation. Maybe Cirdan is described as fair-haired, but I couldn't confirm it even if it is likely he was; I couldn't find any reference to his physical appearance at all. If Cirdan's hair-color is uncertain, he admittedly exists in that strange margin I mentioned above, yet I should note that the uncertainty is not the point of the riddle, but it is a meaningful part of the hint as to what we might know from the books about the king in question and also as a way of eradicating any fixation on those who have 100% certainly blond hair. So, to my knowledge, what we know about Cirdan's "ilk" does not at all indicate near certainty that he was not blond. Besides, whether or not Cirdan was blond, the guess once again ignores the aspect of wordplay.

4)Galadriel. She is fair-haired and she is a queen, so literally it could be correct at first glance(though a "towhead" tends to imply in addition to a blond color, a tousled or unkempt style of hair, which I daresay would not describe Galadriel as she is depicted in the books) except that once again the aspect of wordplay is ignored. Also ignored is that the first hint, in emphasizing the wordplay, also rules out those with blond hair as well as females (explicitly said "king" and also made the blond/blonde distinction). Initially, "royal" was intentionally neuter to make the clue more difficult and see if I could tease out some guesses of females, but I quickly decided to give away that the "royal" of the answer was definitely male, so Galadriel might have been a fair (haha) guess prior to the first hint, but not so much after the first hint.

5-6) Turgon or Glorfindel. No explanation is given for these guesses, but I can only assume they follow after the manner of the Cirdan guess, that these were fair-haired characters, both Elf-lords; Glorfindel's name means "golden-haired elf". Once again, ignores the wordplay and the first hint.

5)Wulf. I was impressed with this guess, but lest my clue (and hints) be accused of being too vague or permissive (difficult with only two words!), I must be more explicit and rule it out because Wulf, it should be said, is not truly recognized as a King of Rohan, but he was merely a claimant to that title, and the "royal" in my clue was not indicated as wordplay so should be taken as matter of fact. As made explicit in my first hint, the correct "royal" is indeed a king.

So currently the question remains open but I'm looking forward to the next question to get the thread rolling again. Happy guessing!

Unfortunately I often find that what I thought was a riddle with a unique answer turns out to have several viable alternative solutions that I hadn't considered.
    Yeah, at this point I would hazard to guess that it's relatively impossible to come up with a solid question with only one real answer. Any that once existed have all been asked, I think.
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Try looking at it as tow and head instead of towhead.

Wink Re: Two-word Tolkien Trivia

Quote Originally Posted by CarsontheSage View Post
    Try looking at it as tow and head instead of towhead.

I thought so, but I can't think of who...

The beheaded statue-king at the crossroads crowned with a flowering vine.

From a random online dictionary I just searched:

noun
    tows, plural

A bundle of untwisted natural or man-made fibers
    Last edited by Vilnas; Apr 11 2011 at 06:19 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

The beheaded statue-king at the crossroads crowned with a flowering vine.

From a random online dictionary I just searched:

noun
    tows, plural

A bundle of untwisted natural or man-made fibers
    Correct! Clue was inspired by this illustration:
    http://www.tednasmith.com/lotr2/TN-A...ross-roads.jpg
    Although the wordplay I had in mind was not precisely what you came up with, it's an excellent interpretation of how the "tow" in question would be the vine about the head; and the answer is of course correct.

I wanted to use this "beheaded king," but those two words were too easy, I thought. So first change king to royal to open it up to princes, princesses and queens. Then "beheaded"...I thought of ways to creatively describe "beheaded" in one word, and not coming up with anything, I looked again at the illustration by Nasmith and the description in the book and thought maybe the golden flowers in the stony hair could suggest the king was blond even though he was probably not indeed, so this could be the basis of the clue...somehow a not-blond blond. Synonyms for "blond" seemed in order and the word "towhead" popped into mind...creating a handy pun using the fact that the king's head was taken away or "towed," so I came back round to a funny way of saying "beheaded" haha. Another, though tangential wordplay could be found in that the golden flowers were stonecrop, and one of the meanings of "crop" is a short-cut hair style, so the king's "crop" was golden-colored or blond, and being of course wild flowers, arguably unkempt like a towhead.

And of course, being a Gondorian king, his actual hair in life was most certainly not blond but rather was most likely dark like the rest of his people, thus the first hint. The "blind" reference in the second hint was to the fact that one of the defacements the statue suffered was having the eyes hollowed out --and I thought it fun that blind and blond are similar words. My comment about uncertainty has to do with the fact that this is a statue and so the hair color as it was in life is not actually thus described.

Great job Carson and Vilnas
    Last edited by JohnFoam; Apr 12 2011 at 02:44 AM.

Quite a devious riddle JohnFoam!

How about:

Forsaken People

How about:

Forsaken People
    Is that a trick question?

How about:

Forsaken People
    The Eglain?

EDIT: not the Eglain faction of the game, the Elves of the Western coast of Beleriand, the Falathrim.
    Last edited by JohnFoam; Apr 12 2011 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFoam View Post
    The Eglain?

EDIT: not the Eglain faction of the game, the Elves of the Western coast of Beleriand, the Falathrim.
    Those elves were not called the Eglain (they had a similar name, but not "Eglain"). Nor were the Falalthrim the Forsaken People. You are extremely close to the correct answer on both counts, but not quite there. Come back with the correct name and description of those people and you are the winner.

Page 16 of 130 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 66 116 ... LastLast