We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 12 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Re: Two-word Tolkien Trivia

Quote Originally Posted by BIGeyedBUG View Post
    Nope, but I'm realizing that the thing I love most about this thread is how many great answers most of the more interesting riddles have.

Hint: The answer is singular and a person...i.e., a sapient being with whom you or I, given the opportunity, could hypothetically shake hands. Rather than, say, the socially awkward situation of the other party possessing gigantic and terribly sharp, divine talons.
    Manwë Súlimo, Lord of the Air and Winds of Arda, perhaps?
    [URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=279975]My first raid idea.[/URL]
    [URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?328485-Enedwaith-Raid-Zigil-D%FBm]The Third[/URL]
    [URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?317179-Non-radiance-gated-Flaming-Deeps-raid-Gh%E2sh-lug]The Second[/URL] (Technically the third, but the real second one I have disowned!)

Ohio, where we never have any adventures or do anything unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    @Reddhawk: I'm sincerely happy to see you post here again my friend. It has been a long time (or at least it has seemed that way) and I was afraid you had left LOTRO for good.
    Thank you. You are right, I have been away for a good while. But as you know, not all those who wander are lost and I am happy to be among such excellent and admirable friends once more. It is not my fate to sit in peace; Still, I return when I may. I am here until the journey is at an end and the last battle is fought. I know I can't turn back. My heart tells me that I have a part to play yet, before the end, and it lies ahead and I must see it through, if you understand me.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddhawk View Post
    the eagles were created by Manwë
    Despite my incorrect answer, I want to address my poor choice of words earlier. Clearly, the eagles weren't created by Manwë, so much as they were created by Ilúvatar on his behalf.

As for my next guess, I say: Aragorn

As the King of Gondor, he bore both the winged helm and the Sceptre of Annúminas. Hermes also bore a winged helm and a sceptre known as the Caduceus. While Aragorn's sceptre was no Caduceus, he did have the Ring of Barahir, which contained a similar twin serpent motif.

In pondering this riddle, I've done a little research on Hermes. It is said that he was also the patron of boundaries and of the travellers that crossed them. This is very much like Aragorn's role as a ranger, in which he wandered the lands safeguarding borders and making the way safe for others. Another curious connection is that Hermes was originally depicted as an older, bearded god, but was later reimagined as a youthful, beardless god. Aragorn's appearance has also been debated. While he has often been depicted with a beard, he was a man of Númenórean descent and was therefore, likely to have been beardless. According to Christopher Tolkien in The Unfinished Tales:
    "In a note written in December 1972 or later, and among the last writings of my father's on the subject of Middle-earth, there is a discussion of the Elvish strain in Men, as to its being observable in the beardlessness of those who were so descended [. . .]"

Of course, I'm probably over-analyzing things, as I have a tendency to do. I will be most curious to learn the solution.
    Last edited by Reddhawk; Mar 06 2011 at 10:14 PM.
    [COLOR=yellowgreen][B]"Pure creation is like a vacation."[/B][/COLOR]
    [INDENT]- Welby of Landroval[/INDENT]

With little hope I propose the answer may be Earendil after all, for he was both a messenger, and flighted, as was Mercury. However, it seems even to me that I am drawing a long bow with that one.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000009fd8b/01007/signature.png]Cutholen[/charsig]

The Aragorn guess is brilliant Reddhawk, even more so as I recall Eomer calling him "Wingfoot" when told he had been sometimes known as Strider.

Aragorn is the answer, Reddhawk and darkoutcast. I'm not sure which of you should get credit: "Wingfoot" was the initial inspiration behind the riddle, but Reddhawk came up with the correct answer first, and the other parallels are what make it interesting (to me).

I'd say that whichever you has a riddle to venture first should go for it.
    [CENTER][I][FONT=Garamond]* * *
    [/FONT][/I][FONT=Palatino Linotype]"From without the World, though all things may be forethought in music or foreshown in vision from afar, to those who enter verily into Eä each in its time shall be met at unawares as something new and unforetold."[/FONT]
    [/CENTER]

I defer to Reddhawk, primarily because of primacy. Further, I have nothing prepared and am running a little on empty after throwing multiple rhyming ones at the other Riddle Game thread.

Quote Originally Posted by darkoutcast View Post
    I defer to Reddhawk, primarily because of primacy.
    Thank you and nice catch with with the "Wingfoot" reference. I did not even recall that passage.

Alright, folks, I'm going to follow the lead of Vilnas on this next riddle.

Ok, I'm making the next one as intentionally difficult as I can manage. It requires a difficult logical connection and represents a departure from the usual way in which we have been presenting clues (although I believe it can be viewed as an extension of a recent trend):

Oublietted Royal
    Like the riddle given by Vilnas, this is a two-part riddle. The answer to my two-word clue will provide a description of the true answer. I'm afraid this may be rather challenging, as it involves a double literary reference, but we shall see...

Mohican Hereafter

Thank you and nice catch with with the "Wingfoot" reference. I did not even recall that passage.

Alright, folks, I'm going to follow the lead of Vilnas on this next riddle.

Like the riddle given by Vilnas, this is a two-part riddle. The answer to my two-word clue will provide a description of the true answer. I'm afraid this may be rather challenging, as it involves a double literary reference, but we shall see...

Mohican Hereafter
    Hmm...

HMM...

I'm going to take a shot here and say Ghân-buri-Ghân or the Druedain themselves, it's where my mind went immediately...
    [URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?328485-Enedwaith-Raid-Zigil-D%FBm]The Third[/URL]
    [URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?317179-Non-radiance-gated-Flaming-Deeps-raid-Gh%E2sh-lug]The Second[/URL] (Technically the third, but the real second one I have disowned!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sylux14 View Post
    I'm going to take a shot here and say Ghân-buri-Ghân or the Druedain themselves, it's where my mind went immediately...
    I'm afraid not. It would be very prudent to pay close attention to the words of my riddle, as they should point you in the right direction, especially one more so than the other.

I'm going to start with a guess at Isildur. Last being of the Mohicans, and he rode the tidal wave from Numenor (referencing Hereafter.)

I am probably going at this too directly, but:

The Mohican's are most famous in literature because of the book, " Last of the Mohican's" which seems to indicate he answer belongs to the last of his tribe. "Hereafter" refers most commonly to what happens after death.

Based on this, I would suggest, Beren One-hand is the answer. He was indeed the very last living man of his kindred, all the others having been killed by Morgoth. Furthermore, he died, and at Luthien's prayers was returned to Beleriand alive to live in Ossiriand. Hence Beren fits both clues, for he was both last, and in his hereafter.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000009fd8b/01007/signature.png]Cutholen[/charsig]

I'm going to start with a guess at Isildur. Last being of the Mohicans, and he rode the tidal wave from Numenor (referencing Hereafter.)
    Not Isildur. I'm not looking for the 'last' of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutholen View Post
    I am probably going at this too directly, but:

The Mohican's are most famous in literature because of the book, " Last of the Mohican's" which seems to indicate he answer belongs to the last of his tribe. "Hereafter" refers most commonly to what happens after death.

Based on this, I would suggest, Beren One-hand is the answer. He was indeed the very last living man of his kindred, all the others having been killed by Morgoth. Furthermore, he died, and at Luthien's prayers was returned to Beleriand alive to live in Ossiriand. Hence Beren fits both clues, for he was both last, and in his hereafter.
    An excellent answer to be sure, but unfortunately not the one I'm looking for. You have the literary reference correct, but again, I'm not looking for the 'last' of anything.

Glorfindel, who like Uncas, last of the Mohicans, was slain defending a refugee on a cliff face, but who unlike Uncas, had a hereafter here by returning to middle earth from Amman.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutholen View Post
    Glorfindel, who like Uncas, last of the Mohicans, was slain defending a refugee on a cliff face, but who unlike Uncas, had a hereafter here by returning to middle earth from Amman.
    Keep in mind that this is a two-part riddle. Thus far, no one has come close to the final answer. You, however, are drawing very near to the intermediate answer, especially with regards to the death of Uncas. Think of "Mohican hereafter" in a more literal sense.

The Woods of Orome, being that the only Native American "hereafter" I can think of is "The Happy Hunting Grounds" and that would accurately describe Orome's woods.

The Woods of Orome, being that the only Native American "hereafter" I can think of is "The Happy Hunting Grounds" and that would accurately describe Orome's woods.
    That is not the answer I'm looking for, however I must congratulate you in uncovering the first part of the riddle.

The first of the literary references to which I alluded was none other than this passage, spoken by Chingachgook over the grave of his son Uncas, near the end of James Fenimore Cooper's The Last of the Mohicans:
    "Why do my brothers mourn?" he said, regarding the dark race of dejected warriors by whom he was environed; "why do my daughters weep? that a young man has gone to the happy hunting-grounds; that a chief has filled his time with honor?"
    As for the second literary reference, what might "the happy hunting-grounds" refer to within Tolkien's legendarium?

That is not the answer I'm looking for, however I must congratulate you in uncovering the first part of the riddle.

The first of the literary references to which I alluded was none other than this passage, spoken by Chingachgook over the grave of his son Uncas, near the end of James Fenimore Cooper's The Last of the Mohicans:

As for the second literary reference, what might "the happy hunting-grounds" refer to within Tolkien's legendarium?
    Probably not correct, but the Halls of Mandos?

(EDIT: I didn't get the "hereafter" clue when I put down my first answer about the Druedain.)

EDIT #2: If not the Halls, then Aman/Valinor itself, then?
    Last edited by Sylux14; Mar 10 2011 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylux14 View Post
    Probably not correct, but the Halls of Mandos?

[. . .]

EDIT #2: If not the Halls, then Aman/Valinor itself, then?
    Nope. Not the Halls of Mandos, nor Aman or Valinor.

My riddle can be taken quite literally. Just remember what it is I'm looking for:
    Mohican Hereafter --> Happy Hunting-grounds --> ???

I'm new to this thread but I was curious and wanted to have a go. I'm sorry for interrupting since the riddle is almost solved. My answer is Ea itself, outside of Arda where the spirits of men would go. Since only men would have an afterlife. My thanks for this great thread.
    "Aurë Entuluva!"

Reddhawk, could you confirm whether we are working within the "canon" of LotR, The Hobbit and The Silmarillion, and are excluding for purposes of this thread other works such as Farmer Giles of Ham, Smith of Wooten Major, etc.?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Elenluin-Menelloth View Post
    I'm new to this thread but I was curious and wanted to have a go. I'm sorry for interrupting since the riddle is almost solved. My answer is Ea itself, outside of Arda where the spirits of men would go. Since only men would have an afterlife. My thanks for this great thread.
    Not Eä. Just to clarify, the words "Mohican Hereafter" were only intended to elicit an intermediate response of "the happy hunting-grounds". The final answer is ultimately unrelated to the concept of an afterlife; but, that's all just part of the trickery of the riddle.

At any rate, welcome to the thread! Feel free to jump in at any time. Until the riddle has been solved, it's fair game for anyone.

Reddhawk, could you confirm whether we are working within the "canon" of LotR, The Hobbit and The Silmarillion, and are excluding for purposes of this thread other works such as Farmer Giles of Ham, Smith of Wooten Major, etc.?
    The answer itself is most certainly mentioned within the "canon" works. It appears, however, that I must apologize for going outside of the original guidelines, because the reference upon which my riddle is based seems not to be. The basis of my riddle was pulled from memory and now that I have searched for the original reference, I have only been able to find it made mention of specifically within The History of Middle-earth and alluded to vaguely in Tolkien's Letter 131, To Milton Waldman. It is possible that the reference appears in some form within the "canon", but if so, I have yet to uncover it. If you would please excuse my unintentional overstepping of the guidelines, I would add that the final answer to my riddle should be well known to fans of Tolkien, as well as those only marginally acquainted with his tales.

Thank you for the pointer. I think we needed it. If I have this right, I think you win the thread for most obscure lore nugget ever.

From Letter 131, To Milton Waldman:

"originally the ... forests of the royal demesne of Arnor, granted as a fief."

also known as the Shire.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Thank you for the pointer. I think we needed it. If I have this right, I think you win the thread for most obscure lore nugget ever.

From Letter 131, To Milton Waldman:

"originally the ... forests of the royal demesne of Arnor, granted as a fief."

also known as the Shire.
    And the victory goes to Vilnas! The Shire it is.

That is the exact passage in the letter that I was referring to. There is a bit more detail, albeit in the form of an earlier draft, given in The History of Middle-earth Vol. 12: The Peoples of Middle-earth:

In the Year 1 (according to the reckoning of Shire-folk) and in the month of Luyde {9} (as they used to say) the brothers Marco and Cavallo, having obtained formal permission from the king Argeleb II in the waning city of Fornost, crossed the wide brown river Baranduin. They crossed by the great stone bridge that had been built in the days of the power of the realm of Arthedain; for they had no boats. After their own manner and language they later changed the name to Brandywine. All that was demanded of the 'Little People' was (1) to keep the laws of Arthedain; (2) to keep the Bridge (and all other bridges) in repair; (3) to allow the king to hunt still in the woods and moors thrice a year. For the country had once been a royal park and hunting ground.

So, there you have it folks:

Mohican Hereafter --> The Happy Hunting-grounds --> The Shire

Nice work keeping us on our toes.

Here is the next one, fairly straightforward:

barbarian princess

Nice work keeping us on our toes.

Here is the next one, fairly straightforward:

barbarian princess
    Tempted to say Eowyn, but I imagine you're looking for someone a "little" further back.

EDIT: If not Eowyn, then my guess becomes Aerin, unwilling wife of Brodda the Easterling.
    Last edited by Sylux14; Mar 11 2011 at 01:04 AM.

Page 12 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 62 112 ... LastLast