We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 11 of 124 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 111 ... LastLast

Re: Two-word Tolkien Trivia

Gonna go with the obvious answer of Mt. Doom.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmExterminator View Post
    Gonna go with the obvious answer of Mt. Doom.
    Good guess but no, it's not the right answer.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000011d60a/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

[center] [b] [thread=347266]We Need a New Race![/thread][/b] [/center]

I can't remember the spelling...Catharas?? the mountain above Moria

Caradhras, although in elvish tongues, "dh" is always pronounced "th", and "c" is always hard, so perhaps it should be Karathras. Alternatively, perhaps I should be called Cudholen, but I get called Cutty much as it is, I shudder to think the mispronunciations I would here if I spelt my name correctly.

Any, as my guess has been taken by Bethana, I'll chip in with the evilest mountain of them all, Thangorodrim.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutholen View Post
    Any, as my guess has been taken by Bethana, I'll chip in with the evilest mountain of them all, Thangorodrim.
    You win! The answer was Thangorodrim the three peaked mountain which was raised over Angband.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000011d60a/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

[center] [b] [thread=347266]We Need a New Race![/thread][/b] [/center]

Blessed Isle

Tol Eressea?

Tol Eressëa, while anchored on the shore of blessed lands, was a Lonely Isle, not blest.

Aman?

more words

While Aman was certainly blessed, it was not an Isle.

Out of curiousity, do any of the more serious Quenya scholars here know what "Aman" means?

While Aman was certainly blessed, it was not an Isle.

Out of curiousity, do any of the more serious Quenya scholars here know what "Aman" means?
    I'm not sure I agree with that. My belief is that in its original state Aman was probably similar to Greenland in terms of its size and connectivity to other landmasses (i.e., via the Helcaraxe). That said, I certainly accept that it was not the answer you were looking for, and I will try and think of a better solution.

As I recall Aman means "blessed land," hence my answer.

I believe it means "Blessed Realm" no?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320700000008dd7d/01008/signature.png]Addlewise[/charsig]
    Please check out my screenshot thread!
    [url]http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?379138-My-Sights-Of-Middle-Earth[/url]

Vilnas, I have always assumed Aman to be very extensive, primarily on the basis that it had far southern regions beyond the Valar's scrutiny, and beyond the light of the two trees. In a flat earth, which it was at the time, that would make it very distant indeed. And given that Ungoliant hid there for at least 400 Valian years, ie 4,000 to 57,000 solar years, without being detected by the Valar, those lands again must have been very distant.

Of course, all the maps I have seen show Aman extending to southern polar regions, ie, as far south as it extends north. That gains some textual support in that the waters are described as cold, but I suspect the maps are very much non-canononical.

Musings about the scope of Aman aside, I have a new guess:

The semi-legendary "island" consisting of the peak of Mt. Meneltarma (aka the Pillar of Heaven) left over after Numenor sank into the ocean?

Now I'm wishing I'ld thought of that as my solution. Unfortunately I didn't.

Blessed Isle
    Almaren, the blessed isle the Valar made their home before abandoning it for Valinor?

Almaren, the first home the Valar built for themselves, is correct.

This is a tough one, I think, so I'll try to be forthcoming with additional hints if needed:

"Alias Mercury"

(First hint: the answer is not Elemmire.)

Eönwë, herald to Manwe as Mercury is herald to the gods of Rome.

Eönwë, herald to Manwe as Mercury is herald to the gods of Rome.
    An apt answer, but not this answer.

I see that I am going to have to be subtle.

It is not Earendil, for he is seen too far from the horizon to be Mercury, the planet; and what is more, is too bright.

So it is Elwing, for it is she who is sometimes seen rising up to greet Earendil, the Evening Star, as Mercury the planet is on occasion want to do.

I see that I am going to have to be subtle.

It is not Earendil, for he is seen too far from the horizon to be Mercury, the planet; and what is more, is too bright.

So it is Elwing, for it is she who is sometimes seen rising up to greet Earendil, the Evening Star, as Mercury the planet is on occasion want to do.
    Lovely answer, but like most of my riddles in this thread, this one isn't very subtle. (Subtlety not always being synonymous with difficulty or esotericism though.)

Hint: The "Mercury" in the clue references the god, not the planet. I could/should have used "Alias Hermes", but I didn't like the sound as much.

Ohio, where we never have any adventures or do anything unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by BIGeyedBUG View Post
    "Alias Mercury"
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGeyedBUG View Post
    Hint: The "Mercury" in the clue references the god, not the planet. I could/should have used "Alias Hermes", but I didn't like the sound as much.
    The Eagles of Manwë

Like Mercury/Hermes, they are the flying messengers of the gods and are closely associated with the king of the gods (i.e. the eagles were created by Manwë, just as Hermes was the son of Zeus).

@Reddhawk: I'm sincerely happy to see you post here again my friend. It has been a long time (or at least it has seemed that way) and I was afraid you had left LOTRO for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddhawk View Post
    The Eagles of Manwë

Like Mercury/Hermes, they are the flying messengers of the gods and are closely associated with the king of the gods (i.e. the eagles were created by Manwë, just as Hermes was the son of Zeus).
    Nope, but I'm realizing that the thing I love most about this thread is how many great answers most of the more interesting riddles have.

Hint: The answer is singular and a person...i.e., a sapient being with whom you or I, given the opportunity, could hypothetically shake hands. Rather than, say, the socially awkward situation of the other party possessing gigantic and terribly sharp, divine talons.

Page 11 of 124 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 111 ... LastLast