We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 105 of 127 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 115 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 3175
    I feel like you are spelling this out for us, but I am too thick-skulled to make it work. Hopefully somebody is smarter than me and can put it together; I will summarize what I think we’re looking for:

1. A 6 letter ME character name of a minor character mentioned in Unfinished Tales with a couple of backstories thrown out at different times by JRRT. That person’s name can also be added to another word to form a location (such as Dol Guldur).
    2. Take the name from #1 above, and swap 2 letters (as in ‘water -> tawer’ in your example).
    3. Change 1 letter from #2 above (as in ‘tawer -> tower’ in your example).
    4. Step #3 has now provided us with another ME character name that can also be added to a word to create a place name. It must also be 6 letters long as we haven’t added or deleted any letters, and as an added bonus hint, was adapted by Turbine for a NPC name.
    5. Steps 1 & 4 have provided us with 2 unique, 6 letter long character names that make up the 2 word clue, which we can then proceed to solve.

Amroth seems like a prime candidate to me for Item #1, but after flubbing around I wasn’t able to make much sense out of any letter-swapping exercises, so I may be barking up the wrong tree here.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Just a bit more clarification...

The character from the first part of the puzzle is mentioned in Lotr or in one of these other works correct?:

The Silmarillion
    The Children Of Hurin
    The Hobbit
    The Adventures Of Tom Bombadil

Cause only being in Unfinished Tales would make it off limits.
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    Amroth seems like a prime candidate to me for Item #1.
    This is correct. You are almost there.

The second word in the riddle (i.e., the word you get to as a result of your transforming substitutions) is part of a two word place name in LotR. Turbine also used it as the root of a character name.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Arminas > Minas Anor
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001019a8/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    "Of course I am the only elf in the village"

Quote Originally Posted by Morthaur View Post
    Arminas > Minas Anor
    I'm not sure what you are going for there, as I don't see how it tracks the format of the riddle as presented.

Wilros has provided the first word: Amroth
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

I had thought someone smarter than me would have been able to put the pieces together, but maybe we’re all enjoying the spring/summer weather out there instead of pondering interesting riddles.

Your confirmation of my gut answer of Amroth has helped me arrive at a potential answer: Tilion.

Reasoning:
    1. Amroth was confirmed as the answer to step #1 above.
    2. Swap letters as described above to come up with Faroth (place name would be High Faroth, but I’m not sure on the LOTRO NPC name you refer to, maybe Faroniel?)
    3. Thus, our two word clue is Amroth Faroth.
    4. Not being able to link these 2 names in lore, I see the meanings of the names are something like ‘Up-climber’ & ‘Hunter’.
    5. Tilion was known as a hunter in Orome’s hunting party’s, and his later duties of guiding the moon obviously required him to climb into the sky.

Others can feel free to guess a better up-climbing hunter I may have missed.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Wow. That wasn't the answer I had in mind, but it is great work nevertheless. The riddle stick is yours.

For extra credit, what would you do with:

Amroth Amarth?

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    Wow. That wasn't the answer I had in mind, but it is great work nevertheless. The riddle stick is yours.

For extra credit, what would you do with:

Amroth Amarth?
    Aha, your answer of Amarth makes it a bit clearer that the LOTRO character you had in mind was Amarthiel.

So then, Amroth Amarth would lead me to: Up-climber doom… Frodo?

My head hurts from the excellent riddle that Vilnas had confounded us with, so mine will likely be much, much simpler!

Insular Delvers

So then, Amroth Amarth would lead me to: Up-climber doom… Frodo?
    Aargh. Way too complicated. The riddle was intended to be Amroth's doom.

My head hurts from the excellent riddle that Vilnas had confounded us with, so mine will likely be much, much simpler!

Insular Delvers
    maybe the dwarves of the Lonely Mountain?
    Chrisandir, man Captain 100 | Raxus dwarf Guardian 51 | Chrorin dwarf Hunter 30 | Strillo hobbit Burglar 3 | Butche man Champion 29 |
    | Falaminianteraglith dwarf Runekeeper 20 | Randu man Lore-master 17 | Nafthali woman Warden 12 |

Quote Originally Posted by c_the_awesome View Post
    maybe the dwarves of the Lonely Mountain?
    Not the answer I had in mind, but seems perfectly valid to me. The riddle stick is yours!

Not the answer I had in mind, but seems perfectly valid to me. The riddle stick is yours!
    ok thanks,

Feral Freelancer
    Chrisandir, man Captain 100 | Raxus dwarf Guardian 51 | Chrorin dwarf Hunter 30 | Strillo hobbit Burglar 3 | Butche man Champion 29 |
    | Falaminianteraglith dwarf Runekeeper 20 | Randu man Lore-master 17 | Nafthali woman Warden 12 |

ok thanks,

Feral Freelancer
    Sam's' Oliphant
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001019a8/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    "Of course I am the only elf in the village"

How about Beorn (in bear form) at the Battle of Five Armies?

I think you guys need a hint.

there is another meaning for the word Feral.

Ghân-buri-Ghân perhaps then? Feral could mean simply living in a more primitive or natural state.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    Ghân-buri-Ghân perhaps then? Feral could mean simply living in a more primitive or natural state.
    sorry still not correct

ok thanks,

Feral Freelancer
    My best guess is Gollum. He is the kind of character who was once "domestic" and then went wild
    Last edited by GrinsgarCZ; Jun 07 2014 at 03:03 AM.
    Naius - Burglar of Withywindle
    [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-uYwngjXZI[/url]

What about Smaug? Gandalf was concerned that he might be persuaded to join forces with Sauron.

I'm not so sure on this, but perhaps Tom Bombadil, or Treebeard. They both are unconcerned about the cares of the outside world (until, for Treebeard, it starts affecting him personally) which would be the freelancer part. Feral would pertain to Treebeard as he is part of untouched nature. For Bombadil, it is much the same as he is implied (as far as I can recall) to be some sort of personification of nature.

EDIT: Wrong thread
    Last moanains siimsalit din alevon im: Though we are parted, my love will be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by ajax6893 View Post
    EDIT: Wrong thread
    Sorry still no one has the correct answer yet, I think i will give another hint; it is not in the third age.

Sorry still no one has the correct answer yet, I think i will give another hint; it is not in the third age.
    Ah then maybe Túrin might fit here?

umm.. it might be Ungoliant?
    Naius - Burglar of Withywindle
    [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-uYwngjXZI[/url]

Page 105 of 127 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 115 ... LastLast