We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 104 of 126 FirstFirst ... 4 54 94 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 114 ... LastLast
Results 2,576 to 2,600 of 3147
    I would think Tuor and Turin, who although cousins, never met, with Tuor only catching a glimpse of his ill-fated cousin as he and Voronwe made their way to Gondolin.

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulkfather View Post
    thankee.

Stranger cousins
    While Frodo was traveling incognito and using the name Underhill, some actual Underhills at the Prancing Pony decided that he must be a long-lost cousin when in fact they truly were strangers.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    While Frodo was traveling incognito and using the name Underhill, some actual Underhills at the Prancing Pony decided that he must be a long-lost cousin when in fact they truly were strangers.
    That is also an excellent guess!

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    I would think Tuor and Turin, who although cousins, never met, with Tuor only catching a glimpse of his ill-fated cousin as he and Voronwe made their way to Gondolin.
    righto! The stick is yours.

Boraxxe, that is an interesting guess. I might have given over for that if Wilros hadn't posted his.

I find it interesting how similar and yet different these 2 cousins were. Both lost their fathers in the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, were raised partly by elves, spent time as prisoners and as outlaws, and were fierce warriors and great leaders. They were also both the subject of interest of a powerful Vala. Fortunately for Tuor, Ulmo’s interest lead to a much better fate than Turin, who was subjected to a curse of Morgoth.

Anyhow, to get on with things:
    Root Inquirer

I find it interesting how similar and yet different these 2 cousins were. Both lost their fathers in the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, were raised partly by elves, spent time as prisoners and as outlaws, and were fierce warriors and great leaders. They were also both the subject of interest of a powerful Vala. Fortunately for Tuor, Ulmo’s interest lead to a much better fate than Turin, who was subjected to a curse of Morgoth.

Anyhow, to get on with things:
    Root Inquirer

Hmm...maybe Gollum.
    He wanted to search under the mountains (their roots) to find secrets. He was sadly disappointed after his search.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Hmm...maybe Gollum.
    He wanted to search under the mountains (their roots) to find secrets. He was sadly disappointed after his search.
    Exactamundo! I had a feeling you would sniff this one out right away. In Gandalf's description of the history of the ring to Frodo, he describes Gollum thusly:
    Quote Originally Posted by JRRT in The Fellowship of the Ring, The Shadow of the Past
    The most inquisitive and curious-minded of that family was called Smeagol. He was interested in roots and beginnings; he dived into deep pools; he burrowed under trees and growing plants; he tunneled into green mounds; and he ceased to look up...
    He also later describes Gollum as coming to hate the light and being curious about the roots of the mountains as you say. Your turn Boraxxe.

OK, next up:

Angel's chain

OK, next up:

Angel's chain
    The easy answer would be Angainor, but yours are rarely easy...

The easy answer would be Angainor, but yours are rarely easy...
    Well, it's easy this time.
    Your up!

Very well then! Next one:

See Tree
    (yay, rhyming!)

Very well then! Next one:

See Tree
    (yay, rhyming!)
    I'll just throw this out there: the tree Bilbo climbed in Mirkwood to try to see how to get the Company back on track.
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    I'll just throw this out there: the tree Bilbo climbed in Mirkwood to try to see how to get the Company back on track.
    A decent answer, and I was somewhat tempted to accept it, but I think we can find a better one. A hint on the answer I have in mind: it is found within LOTR.

Trees With Eyes!, Treebeard, as the oldest living thing he's seen more than most, (except Bombadil who I guess is not a living thing).

Quote Originally Posted by Morthaur View Post
    Trees With Eyes!, Treebeard, as the oldest living thing he's seen more than most, (except Bombadil who I guess is not a living thing).
    Hmm, I could perhaps be swayed if you can find a quote to this effect?

But you are also hitting very close to the answer I had in mind, as it is directly connected to Treebeard...

Hmm, I could perhaps be swayed if you can find a quote to this effect?

But you are also hitting very close to the answer I had in mind, as it is directly connected to Treebeard...
    How about Gimli's terror when Gandalf, Theoden, et al see the Ents in the 'magical' forest that appears at the end of the Battle of Helm's Deep? I cannot remember the exact quote but IIRC it's something to do with eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by StrideColossus View Post
    How about Gimli's terror when Gandalf, Theoden, et al see the Ents in the 'magical' forest that appears at the end of the Battle of Helm's Deep? I cannot remember the exact quote but IIRC it's something to do with eyes.
    Nay, I believe he means the Watchwood - the name for the "forest" that guarded Orthanc (and Saruman within it) after it was sacked by the Ents.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    Nay, I believe he means the Watchwood - the name for the "forest" that guarded Orthanc (and Saruman within it) after it was sacked by the Ents.
    Excellent work Vilnas! Yes, after the sacking of Isengard, Treebeard declared that the trees should return to the valley, and the area was to be called "Watchwood". He also promised to keep a vigilant watch on Saruman, saying, "Until seven times the years in which he tormented us have passed, we shall not tire of watching him" (TTT, The Voice of Saruman). Though, of course, they actually let Saruman go after only 5 months of watching...

You are up Vilnas.

I have a fairly easy two-word trivia question that I am going to make harder by complicating the process. Here we go:

Start with a 6 letter name that Tolkien invented.
    Swap two letters within that word.
    Change one of those two letters into a different letter.
    You now have a different word that Tolkien invented.
    The initial word and the resulting word comprise your two-word clue.

Edit:

I thought I might give an example:

water --> tawer --> tower

water tower

In this example the letter that I changed ("a" --> "o") isn't one that I swapped (i.e., either the "t" or the "w"), which is contrary to what I told you to do in the actual riddle. However, I don't have the mental energy to find a word that would be a better example.
    Last edited by Vilnas; May 08 2014 at 07:40 PM.

Been a while and no guesses, a clue perchance?

Certainly. I was also thinking it was probably time for that. I think the clues will likely give it away, but I don't think there is any great harm in that here because my attempt at a new approach to the format clearly missed the mark.

Here are the clues:

The word you start with is the name of a very minor character in JRRT's works whose back story was never fully developed by JRRT. This character is touched on in Unfinished Tales (still as an ancillary figure), and you can see that JRRT went through a couple of different concepts for the character but never finalized the character's history. The word is also part of a two word place name in LotR.

The word you finish with is part of a two word place name in LotR. It was also adapted for use by Turbine as a character name.

Yes its like being made to think in a boss fight, in Lost Temple or something, (give me tank and spank), my guess is Nar's peak.

Sorry I'm at work ad away from my references was Nar an UT character or LotR appendices an if he was UT how did he smash through the content restrictions?
    Last edited by Morthaur; May 15 2014 at 09:55 PM.

My other guess to satisfy the letter change criteria Might be the fortress an hill of Himring possibly ending up as the isle of Himling.

my guess is Nar's peak.
    That isn't what I had in mind, so you are going to have to show your steps for how you arrived at this answer.

My other guess to satisfy the letter change criteria Might be the fortress an hill of Himring possibly ending up as the isle of Himling.
    This doesn't fit the riddle because you did not swap two letters before substituting for one of them. Also, per the follow up clue, (i) the first word is both a character name and a place name, and (ii) both the first and second words appear in the text as part of a two word place name (e.g. Dol Guldur).

Page 104 of 126 FirstFirst ... 4 54 94 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 114 ... LastLast