We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 10 of 127 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 60 110 ... LastLast

Re: Two-word Tolkien Trivia

I'm terrible at riddles, but heres my first guess in the thread.

I would have to say Turin, because when Morgoth cursed Hurin and his family, he corrupted their fates.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000000a1936/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    "So do all who live to see such times but that's not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." -Gandalf

Good guess, but no

Quote Originally Posted by KonstantinPalailogos View Post
    Good guess, but no
    The One Ring, then. It corrupts the fate of everyone who comes into contact with it for long enough.
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

My guess would be Melkor, who was once a Vala that through his hate, malice, and anger became Morgoth thus corrupting his fate from that of an "angelic" being to that of a dark lord.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001e94b5/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Ah, more good ones, but still no.

That's a tricky one...but I'll throw a possible answer.

Perhaps the Silmarils? because of the oath against Morgoth to retrieve them it corrupted the fate of the majority of the Noldor and many of the Silvian Elves and Men of Middle Earth.

Also, will be adding more ideas when I can think of more.

Eodread, Earendel, Isilmacil - Horizon
    Thattickles, Thangorodread - Table Smashers

I'm going to go with something a little different and say orc-kind.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

I feel bad to deny such good answers, but all still no.

I will give a hint: in regards to "corrupt", the answer is more leaning towards criminal than Morgoth-style evil. I hope that will help a bit.

Ok, then that certainly helps make it less general

I'm going to say perhaps Bill Ferny, who was always a crook, and would do anything in order to get what he wanted. Or perhaps Wormtongue who was persuaded by Saruman to be his spy and to weaken Rohan, giving some kind of promise if this was completed.

Eodread, Earendel, Isilmacil - Horizon
    Thattickles, Thangorodread - Table Smashers

Quote Originally Posted by Isilmacil View Post
    Ok, then that certainly helps make it less general

I'm going to say perhaps Bill Ferny, who was always a crook, and would do anything in order to get what he wanted. Or perhaps Wormtongue who was persuaded by Saruman to be his spy and to weaken Rohan, giving some kind of promise if this was completed.
    Unfortunately still no. I'm starting to wonder if I'm very good or very off in regards to riddling ><

I'm going to take a stab at it and guess Boromir, he became corrupted and tried to steal the ring from Frodo on Amon Hen.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000011d60a/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

[center] [b] [thread=347266]We Need a New Race![/thread][/b] [/center]

Still no

My second hint is that the word "Fate" does not refer to any individual's fate.

The Noldor?

Nope.

Hmm, try to focus more on the word fate itself as opposed to the concept of it.

That got me to think about the Third Age. So I guess again. The Third Age?
    * I did not think very hard though.

The answer is clearly "feta" (as in the Greek cheese), which is a corruption of the word "fate."
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Lotho Sackville Baggins, who's fate is unknown, and/or corrupt as far as our knowledge of it goes.
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

All still no

"Corrupt Fate"

Corrupt as in criminal, and focus solely on the word fate, not the concept.

Those are the only hints I can give, maybe putting them together will help.

I think now is about the time where I would have given up and told everyone the answer...

Anyone want to get a secondary question going, until this one is answered?

All still no

"Corrupt Fate"

Corrupt as in criminal, and focus solely on the word fate, not the concept.

Those are the only hints I can give, maybe putting them together will help.
    I was actually thinking of the group of hobbits like Lotho and Ted Sandyman who were in effect collaborators with Sharkey's Men. I normally think of corrupt in the criminal sense as involving intimidation, graft, extortion abuse of power, etc. I can really only identify this one fact pattern in the JRRT texts that seems to fit this concept at all. I think that the "fate" prong of the clue has proven difficult because the more common connotation (in my mind) has metaphysical overtones, as in destiny. However, if you think of it in the sense of "ending" then it becomes a little easier to couple with the "corrupt" prong. Thus, the hobbit collaborators, who ended up corrupt in the criminal sense. As I was thinking this through earlier, I was actually fairly certain my answer would be correct. However, to my chagrin Lotho has been rejected, and I'm afraid I'm out of other ideas at the moment.

I think I will give the answer, so we don't have a jumble of trivia going at once.

The answer is Umbar, the City of the Corsairs.

"Corrupt" is kind of two-fold: both for the Black Numenoreans and for the fact that they were pirates and raiders against Gondor.

"Fate" in Quenya is "umbar", hence I said focus on the word and not the idea.

I'll leave the next words to anyone who feels like it. As a side-note, was this a good riddle or was the train of thought for it too convulted?

I'll leave the next words to anyone who feels like it. As a side-note, was this a good riddle or was the train of thought for it too convulted?
    I think that was a clever riddle, though tough without the additional clues. Frankly, I'm bemused I didn't get it after "concentrate on the word itself".
    [CENTER][I][FONT=Garamond]* * *
    [/FONT][/I][FONT=Palatino Linotype]"From without the World, though all things may be forethought in music or foreshown in vision from afar, to those who enter verily into Eä each in its time shall be met at unawares as something new and unforetold."[/FONT]
    [/CENTER]

Now that I know the answer, I think it was a very good riddle. The fact that none of us were smart enough to figure it out doesn't take away from that

/facepalm

I actually wanted to look up the various translations of the word Fate that might be found in Middle-earth, but I forgot.

Oh well... I wouldn't have come up with a good riddle anyways

Since no one has added a new riddle in a while I'd thought I'd give it a try.

Evil mountain.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000011d60a/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

[center] [b] [thread=347266]We Need a New Race![/thread][/b] [/center]

Page 10 of 127 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 60 110 ... LastLast