We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 109 of 129 FirstFirst ... 9 59 99 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 119 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,725 of 3218
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    My recollection was that The Silmarillion stated that the Gondolindrim were celebrating a festival when the attack came. I have actually never read The Fall of Gondolin. I agree it isn't in the set of canon texts which are supposed to serve as the library for the riddle threads (The Hobbit, LotR, The Silmarillion). Our informal guideline is that if you simply must go beyond those books in sourcing your riddle you are supposed to flag it for the audience.
    I did have a look when coming up with my response of Maeglin in answering your 1-word riddle, and you were correct: the Sil does mention that Gondolin was set to celebrate the "Gates of Summer" that day. (And I myself have not read the Fall of Gondolin either). Cheers.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Quote Originally Posted by StrideColossus View Post
    The Stone of Erech maybe?
    No problem, piece of cake... piece of CRUMB cake. Your turn to whack us with the riddle stick.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    No problem, piece of cake... piece of CRUMB cake. Your turn to whack us with the riddle stick.
    Oops forgot about this thread, here goes:

rousing warrior

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Oops forgot about this thread, here goes:

rousing warrior
    How about Turin son of Hurin Thalion.
    He often functioned as a rousing influence, particularly when he dwelt in Nargothrond.

From The Silmarillion:
    "When it became known to Orodreth that the Mormegil was in truth the son of Húrin Thalion he gave him great honour, and Túrin became mighty among the people of Nargothrond. But he had no liking for their manner of warfare, of ambush and stealth and secret arrow, and he yearned for brave strokes and battle in the open; and his counsels weighed with the King ever the longer the more. In those days the Elves of Nargothrond forsook their secrecy and went openly to battle, and great store of weapons were made; and by the counsel of Túrin the Noldor built a mighty bridge over the Narog from the Doors of Felagund, for the swifter passage of their arms. Then the servants of Angband were driven out of all the land between Narog and Sirion eastward, and westward to the Nenning and the desolate Falas;...."

and a bit later...

"Then the warriors of Nargothrond went forth, and tall and terrible on that day looked Túrin, and the heart of the host was upheld, as he rode on the right hand of Orodreth."
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    How about Turin son of Hurin Thalion.
    He often functioned as a rousing influence, particularly when he dwelt in Nargothrond.

From The Silmarillion:
    Wow! That explanation is so logical (I'd forgotten about that description of Turin) that I'm tempted to hand you the stick, but at the same time it's so completely different from the correct answer that I think I shall have to say no to your suggestion.

That said, there is a connection between Turin and the solution I had in mind...

Turin waking up from the spell of Glaurung's gaze?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Turin waking up from the spell of Glaurung's gaze?
    Nope. Turin is related to the solution but is not the answer himself (if that makes sense).

You're on the right lines with rousing -> waking though.

Nope. Turin is related to the solution but is not the answer himself (if that makes sense).

You're on the right lines with rousing -> waking though.
    Nienor remembering she was Turins sister?
    Chrisandir, man Captain 100 | Raxus dwarf Guardian 51 | Chrorin dwarf Hunter 30 | Strillo hobbit Burglar 3 | Butche man Champion 29 |
    | Falaminianteraglith dwarf Runekeeper 20 | Randu man Lore-master 17 | Nafthali woman Warden 12 |

Quote Originally Posted by c_the_awesome View Post
    Nienor remembering she was Turins sister?
    No, sorry.

Blimey, I try to think of possible alternative solutions so that the riddle isn't too vague, but wasn't expecting so many potentially correct answers!

So I think some clues are required:

- as already mentioned: Turin is related to the solution but is not the answer.

- the answer is NOT a person.

- the riddle relates to an event that occurred a very long time ago in the Middle Earth time-line.

What about the waking of Anglachel, Turin's sword?
    Chrisandir, man Captain 100 | Raxus dwarf Guardian 51 | Chrorin dwarf Hunter 30 | Strillo hobbit Burglar 3 | Butche man Champion 29 |
    | Falaminianteraglith dwarf Runekeeper 20 | Randu man Lore-master 17 | Nafthali woman Warden 12 |

Quote Originally Posted by c_the_awesome View Post
    What about the waking of Anglachel, Turin's sword?
    Nope, much earlier than that.

Hmm, struggling to find something related to Turin yet happening much earlier than the events of his own life. Are we looking for something even before the First Age?

I see this as something of a stretch given that the "waking" of Tulkas is not explicitly described in the text, but how about the implied rousing of Tulkas in the following passages:

Then Tulkas slept, being weary and content, and Melkor deemed that his hour had come. And he passed therefore over the Walls of the Night with his host, and came to Middle-earth far in the north; and the Valar were not aware of him.

Now Melkor began the delving and building of a vast fortress, deep under Earth, beneath dark mountains where the beams of Illuin were cold and dim. That stronghold was named Utumno. And though the Valar knew naught of it as yet, nonetheless the evil of Melkor and the blight of his hatred flowed out thence, and the Spring of Arda was marred.

Green things fell sick and rotted, and rivers were choked with weeds and slime, and fens were made, rank and poisonous, the breeding place of flies; and forests grew dark and perilous, the haunts of fear; and beasts became monsters of horn and ivory and dyed the earth with blood. Then the Valar knew indeed that Melkor was at work again, and they sought for his hiding place. But Melkor, trusting in the strength of Utumno and the might of his servants, came forth suddenly to war, and struck the first blow, ere the Valar were prepared; and he assailed the lights of Illuin and Ormal, and cast down their pillars and broke their lamps. In the overthrow of the mighty pillars lands were broken and seas arose in tumult; and when the lamps were spilled destroying flame was poured out over the Earth. And the shape of Arda and the symmetry of its waters and its lands was marred in that time, so that the first designs of the Valar were never after restored.

In the confusion and the darkness Melkor escaped, though fear fell upon him; for above the roaring of the seas he heard the voice of Manwe as a mighty wind, and the earth trembled beneath the feet of Tulkas.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    Are we looking for something even before the First Age?
    Yes, during the Years of the Trees.

Not Tulkas.

Riddle: rousing warrior

Previous clues:
    - Turin is related to the solution but is not the answer.
    - the answer is not a person.
    - the riddle relates to an event that occurred a very long time ago in the Middle Earth time-line (during the Years of the Trees).

Another clue:
    - the 'warrior' in question roused an entire people.

EDIT: highlighted some of the pertinent words in the clues.
    Last edited by StrideColossus; Aug 12 2014 at 09:20 AM.

- the 'warrior' in question roused an entire people.
    *facepalm* Of course! Menelvagor?

It is told that even as Varda ended her labours, and they were long, when first Menelmacar strode up the sky and the blue fire of Helluin flickered in the mists above the borders of the world, in that hour the Children of the Earth awoke, the Firstborn of Ilúvatar. By the starlit mere of Cuiviénen, Water of Awakening, they rose from the sleep of Ilúvatar; and while they dwelt yet silent by Cuiviénen their eyes beheld first of all things the stars of heaven.
    Last edited by Egorvlad; Aug 14 2014 at 03:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Egorvlad View Post
    *facepalm* Of course! Menelvagor?
    Yey! The constellation Menelmacar or Menelvagor that we call Orion, first appeared in the sky as the Elves awoke at Cuiviénen, and also said to represent Turin in the last battle prophesied by Mandos.

You have the stick.

Well, as long as we're on the starry topic, the next one is:

star window

Henneth Annun by night?

Henneth Annun by night?
    While it's a great sunset window, the waterfall should spoil the view of the stars, so not this one.

star window

Reckon it ain't gonna be this easy, but the Phial of Galadrel?
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    Reckon it ain't gonna be this easy, but the Phial of Galadrel?
    That's a prism rather than a window, so nope.

star window

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Well, gotta get this one outa the way...

Kheled-zaram, or in the Westron, Mirrormere.
    But that translates as "glass lake/pool".
    The Lake reflected the stars, even in broad daylight, but a mirror is not a window, so I think this guess is doomed, but as I said above, I had to get this off of my list.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

The Mirror of Galadriel?

Yeah, both mirrors rather than windows, so not those.
    Think large scale, a lot larger.

star window

The sky!

Page 109 of 129 FirstFirst ... 9 59 99 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 119 ... LastLast