We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 107 of 128 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 117 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,675 of 3183
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Greetings folks.
    I have decided to end my hiatus and pop in again on these "word" threads.
    This has been and interesting puzzle.
    I think I have it figured though.
    47 is silver in the periodic table of the elements (Ag).
    And 79 is gold (Au).
    Boxed up are they?

Just so. Very nicely done. And a hearty welcome back!

I also want to offer a bit of an apology for the initial presentation of this riddle as "Boxed 126." Obviously, I had to do it that way in order to make the riddle fit the two word format of this thread. I knew it was much harder than "Boxed 47 and 79" but once upon a time I submitted to the group the riddle "79 Inter" which solved to "gold bury" - i.e. Goldberry. I was hoping that the collective memory of the group would quickly lead to the periodic table, which would have made it more manageable. When that didn't happen I knew the original riddle (Boxed 126) would be nearly impossible to solve, so I broke format and turned it into a four word puzzle. Since I also neglected to add the warning lable that it was a 1-2-3 riddle requiring an outside reference, even the four word version was devilishly difficult. Sorry about that.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Thanks Vilnas, and bambu3 and Morthar...

Ok, next one (I think it's easy, but we'll see):

Warbling fencer
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Thanks Vilnas, and bambu3 and Morthar...

Ok, next one (I think it's easy, but we'll see):

Warbling fencer
    Methinks a singing sword-swinger (nice alliteration, right?) is what you're after. I don't know if the first thing that popped into my mind is quite considered singing, but it was a favorite moment of mine when I first read the books, so I'll take any opportunity to share.

Quote Originally Posted by JRR Tolkien, The Return of the King
    Stern now was Éomer's mood, and his mind clear again. He let blow the horns to rally all men to his banner that could come thither; for he thought to make a great shield-wall at the last, and stand, and fight there on foot till all fell, and do deeds of song on the fields of Pelennor, though no man should be left in the West to remember the last King of the Mark. So he rode to a green hillock and there set his banner, and the White Horse ran rippling in the wind.

Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
    I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
    To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
    Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!

These staves he spoke, yet he laughed as he said them. For once more lust of battle was on him; and he was still unscathed, and he was young, and he was king: the lord of a fell people. And lo! even as he laughed at despair as he looked out again on the black ships, and he lifted up his sword to defy them.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    Methinks a singing sword-swinger (nice alliteration, right?) is what you're after. I don't know if the first thing that popped into my mind is quite considered singing, but it was a favorite moment of mine when I first read the books, so I'll take any opportunity to share.
    Great logic, but I am not looking for a singing swordsman.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Boromir? (or Faramir)

Here's my logic:

Boromir, by order of his father, Denethor, set out from Minas Tirith to Rivendell to decipher a riddle that was given to him and his brother in their dreams:

Seek for the Sword that was broken,
    In Imladris it dwells,
    There shall be counsels taken,
    Stronger than Morgul-spells.
    There shall be shown a token,
    That Doom is near at hand,
    For Isildur's Bane shall waken,
    And the Halfling forth shall stand.

Not Boromir, nor Faramir.

Guess it's time for a hint.

The riddle is: warbling fencer

It is a person and one that is not known for wielding a sword.

Finrod, the original duelling banjoist (sic)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001019a8/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    "Of course I am the only elf in the village"

This could be a particularly tricksy riddle referencing Luthien "Nightingale" Tinuviel in the Forest of Neldoreth near what is sometimes referred to as the "Fences" of Doriath.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    This could be a particularly tricksy riddle referencing Luthien "Nightingale" Tinuviel in the Forest of Neldoreth near what is sometimes referred to as the "Fences" of Doriath.
    I thought of Melian but couldn't find any warbling
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001019a8/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Morthaur View Post
    I thought of Melian but couldn't find any warbling
    Now you've put me in a fix.
    Between the two of you, the riddle is answered.

The term "warbling" is not actually used. I took a bit of license with that one. Here is how she is described early in The Silmarillion:
    It is told that the Valar would leave their works, and the birds of Valinor their mirth, that the bells of Valmar were silent and the fountains ceased to flow, when at the mingling of the lights Melian sang in Lórien. Nightingales went always with her, and she taught them their song...
    Then after a few pages the fencing is mentioned:
    Therefore he withdrew all his people that his summons could reach within the fastness of Neldoreth and Region, and Melian put forth her power and fenced all that dominion round about with an unseen wail of shadow and bewilderment: the Girdle of Melian, that none thereafter could pass against her will or the will of King Thingol, unless one should come with a power greater than that of Melian the Maia.
    And again, a bit later:
    From the Elves of Mithrim the Noldor learned of the power of Elu Thingol, King in Doriath, and the girdle of enchantment that fenced his realm...
    The fences of Doriath are mentioned many times as the story continues.

I guess I will have to award the riddle stick to Morthaur since he mentions Melian (though Vilnas was on the right track and did refer to fences but never named the fencer).

Grats Morthaur. Yer up!

Now you've put me in a fix.
    Between the two of you, the riddle is answered.

The term "warbling" is not actually used. I took a bit of license with that one. Here is how she is described early in The Silmarillion:

Then after a few pages the fencing is mentioned:

And again, a bit later:

The fences of Doriath are mentioned many times as the story continues.

I guess I will have to award the riddle stick to Morthaur since he mentions Melian (though Vilnas was on the right track and did refer to fences but never named the fencer).

Grats Morthaur. Yer up!
    Morthaur's answer was clearly superior, in my opinion. I think the term "fencer" much more clearly applies to Melian. I also think the fact that Melian taught the nightingales their song makes her just as good or better fit than Luthien for that prong. Although Tinuviel translates to "nightingale", I don't recall whether the text states that Luthien actually sang (warbled) like a nightingale. Even if it does, "warbler" is a wash and Melian is clearly the better fit for "fencer."

Cheers, Valley's Flow

The River Bruinen?

This may end up being solved quickly, right valley wrong flow.

Hrm. Looking at the "official" map from the LotR texts, I see that the Bruinen appears to fork at Rivendell, with neither upstream branch being separately labelled. It is not clear to me whether one of those forks has a different name.

The Bruinen does join the Mitheithel (Hoarwell) to become the Gwathlo (Greyflood), but that occurs quite some distance from Rivendell and the Mitheithel does not flow through the valley.

Of course, "flow" could also mean something quite different in this riddle.

Hrm. Looking at the "official" map from the LotR texts, I see that the Bruinen appears to fork at Rivendell, with neither upstream branch being separately labelled. It is not clear to me whether one of those forks has a different name.

The Bruinen does join the Mitheithel (Hoarwell) to become the Gwathlo (Greyflood), but that occurs quite some distance from Rivendell and the Mitheithel does not flow through the valley.

Of course, "flow" could also mean something quite different in this riddle.
    The flow of your thoughts is correct, I am not after the name of a watercourse.

Wild horses couldn't drag me away.
    Wild, wild horses, we'll ride them some day.

Wild horses couldn't drag me away.
    Wild, wild horses, we'll ride them some day.
    Keep riding cowboy!

Keep riding cowboy!
    OK, does that response mean I got it right, or that I should keep riding and maybe I'll think of the right answer?

OK, does that response mean I got it right, or that I should keep riding and maybe I'll think of the right answer?
    I reckon it means you can lead a horse to a riddle, but you can't make him solve it.
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Could this riddle have something to do with the hobbits noticing a difference in the flow of time when they were in Rivendell? I seem to recall they commented about this after they left Lorien as well.
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    Could this riddle have something to do with the hobbits noticing a difference in the flow of time when they were in Rivendell? I seem to recall they commented about this after they left Lorien as well.
    Sorry no correct guesses to date, sorry I didn't log on during the weekend but the flow of my own time was affected by what I was drinking on Friday night.

The flow of your thoughts is correct, I am not after the name of a watercourse.
    The flood released by Elrond at the Fords of Bruinen?

That was Boraxxe's guess a few posts back - the "wild horses" lines, from the Rolling Stones' song of the same name.

Page 107 of 128 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 117 ... LastLast