We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 86 of 128 FirstFirst ... 36 76 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 96 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 3179
    I got 3 this time, Helms Deep a remote refuge for Rohan, the Iron Hills where the dwarves sought refuge from increasing populations of drakes, if I remember correctly. And Middle Earth itself this was a refuge for Melkor, Sauron, and the faithful Numenoriens who escaped the fall..

Quote Originally Posted by lark1997 View Post
    Forochel, where King Arvedui hid from the Witch-King?
    Lark, not sure how I missed it, but you got it. My reply on too recent was aimed at the Frodo at Crickhollow reply. So you're up!

Green grave

Green grave
    where Snowmane was buried?

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Green grave
    The great barrow
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMuerto View Post
    where Snowmane was buried?
    Correct, on Snowmane's Howe the grass was said to have grown green and long.

Correct, on Snowmane's Howe the grass was said to have grown green and long.
    Ok. next goes here.

"Ultimate mathom(s)?"

Ok. next goes here.

"Ultimate mathom(s)?"
    This appears to be a tricky one - your “mathom(s)” indicates you’re not even giving a hint on whether you are looking for a singular mathom or plural mathoms!

Assuming you are referring to something that would be of no use but which is prized by its owner nonetheless, could you be referring to the shards of Narsil, about which Strider commented: “Not much use is it, Sam?”
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    This appears to be a tricky one - your “mathom(s)” indicates you’re not even giving a hint on whether you are looking for a singular mathom or plural mathoms!

Assuming you are referring to something that would be of no use but which is prized by its owner nonetheless, could you be referring to the shards of Narsil, about which Strider commented: “Not much use is it, Sam?”
    Not the shards of Narsil

I could say that, properly seen, long before the time the Hobbit and Rohirrim linguistic nomenclatures had developed, these items quite clearly lost their "mathom status"

And yes, I said mathom(s) a bit because they are several, but any one of them would do. And I could also say "extreme mathom(s)". In the full meaning of the word: mathom.

Ok. next goes here.

"Ultimate mathom(s)?"
    The Palantiri? There were several of them but their origin, purpose and even their existence had been largely forgotten.

Ok. next goes here.

"Ultimate mathom(s)?"
    When Bilbo donated his Mithril Shirt to the Mathom House perhaps?

Think more extreme. Something Invaluable ,but not with much practical concrete use, although the more abstract idea part is priceless.

Wild shot here...

the Silmarils?
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    Wild shot here...

the Silmarils?
    I did have that thought as well Bambu3, but then thought that surely the Silmarils are not considered mere mathoms! If nothing else, they could be broken and used to restore the 2 trees? But now that you have guessed it, I think you likely have the answer, as even the 2 trees would be a bit redundant after the creation of the sun and moon. So all the Silmarils really did was sit in crowns or necklaces, burn people, or get placed in the sky as an extra star - but who really needed that 1 extra twinkle-twinkle in the sky?

We will have to await Eddie's response.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    I did have that thought as well Bambu3, but then thought that surely the Silmarils are not considered mere mathoms! If nothing else, they could be broken and used to restore the 2 trees? But now that you have guessed it, I think you likely have the answer, as even the 2 trees would be a bit redundant after the creation of the sun and moon. So all the Silmarils really did was sit in crowns or necklaces, burn people, or get placed in the sky as an extra star - but who really needed that 1 extra twinkle-twinkle in the sky?

We will have to await Eddie's response.
    The definition given in the books is probably different than what I recall, but a Mathom was not necessarily a useless item. Rather in most cases something that had no apparent or immediate use. Bilbo's mithril coat was certainly useful, but no one in the Shire had need of it at the time he donated it to the Mathom House. Reckon it might be getting a little off track, but were the Silmarils actually used? I know they had practical purposes, but it seems like mostly they were prized and fought over.

Edit: Sorry in advance if I end up derailing this thread heh
    Last edited by bambubambubambu; Nov 07 2013 at 07:21 PM.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    Wild shot here...

the Silmarils?
    This here is the right answer
    (sorry for the delay, I've got some minor network issues)

And all of you are spot on about my thoughts. But I did subtly hint that by the time the actual word mathom was used, the two trees would have been long down and the silmaris would be less "mathomish"

bambu^3, you're up

And further, I was thinking a bit from Saurons perspective. I mean probably, in his opinion the only crafted stuffs greater than the one ring, but really, what do they do? Just glitter? Give hope? Wheres the might in that? /From Saurons view of things

Howsbout...

elusive exodus

how about saurons escape from nummenor

Quote Originally Posted by c_the_awesome View Post
    how about saurons escape from nummenor
    wrong side

To clarify a bit further...

wrong side means the good guys were on the run and there was also more than one

two things come to mind: Arvedui and company's escape from the Witch King to Forochel, and Turgon and his army's evacuation from the Nirnaeth, when Hurin and Huor held the line behind them so that they came to Gondolin again unobserved by Morgoth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulkfather View Post
    two things come to mind: Arvedui and company's escape from the Witch King to Forochel, and Turgon and his army's evacuation from the Nirnaeth, when Hurin and Huor held the line behind them so that they came to Gondolin again unobserved by Morgoth.
    So very close with the last part...

the exiles of Gondolin escaping over the pass?

Quote Originally Posted by Mulkfather View Post
    the exiles of Gondolin escaping over the pass?
    winner winner chicken dinner!

Yer up mulk!

okey doke.

multiple exits

Page 86 of 128 FirstFirst ... 36 76 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 96 ... LastLast