We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 71 of 129 FirstFirst ... 21 61 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 81 121 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 3219
    Quote Originally Posted by husaragi View Post
    you dont actually mean fuses made of silver...like on gandalf's fireworks or something silly like that do you? =P

this one is tough. several angles i have considered, including references to Telperion, the star of elendil, etc....
    ha! let me see...I don't literally mean something on the lines of real silver beeing fused (can you do that even? )

think it more as "joins" and you might be on the right track. Also, Boraxxe mentioned the "kind" of silver I'm looking for...

And I don't mean the mithril bit.

*hint hint*

p.s: I can't quite believe I actually managed to come up with a tough one.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b22500000008d97f/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Galthonviel View Post
    ha! let me see...I don't literally mean something on the lines of real silver beeing fused (can you do that even? )

think it more as "joins" and you might be on the right track. Also, Boraxxe mentioned the "kind" of silver I'm looking for...

And I don't mean the mithril bit.

*hint hint*

p.s: I can't quite believe I actually managed to come up with a tough one.
    yes, i was thinking along the lines of the sliver being fused/joined to something by some process or object. I can think of several instances where things were made of silver but I am having trouble placing an object or anything besides a character into the context. i.e. Gimli made new gates for Minias Tirith, from silver...but i have no idea of any object or power that he might have used *to* make those.

Angainor, the star of the dunedain, Feanorian lamps, the crown of gondor....all these things have silver on them or are made of silver...but idk how or what they were made with. its gotta be something used to make something like this....
    Last edited by husaragi; May 31 2013 at 12:38 PM.

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Moon-letters?
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Here's a wag:

Celebrimbor.

He made the writing on the doors of Moria with ithildin, an alloy made with mithril (true silver).
    Clearly, I can't explain myself properly

I meant that Boraxxe used the word for silver I was looking for, and it was not in the mithril part.
    This word is present in many names in the lore.

So again, fuses silver.

1: fuses as in joins something
    2: silver as in a another word for it
    3: not a character

phew, I hope I make sense now.
    Last edited by Galthonviel; May 31 2013 at 05:30 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b22500000008d97f/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

After you said 'join' it got me thinkin'...

What about the River Celebrant? It's the Elvish name for the Silverlode and it joins the Anduin.
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

This is SO close...you are very much on the right track.

But I want something that fuses this silver, not the other way around.

Edit: Fused silver can be something like celebhith (silver mist)?
    Last edited by Al.; Jun 01 2013 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    After you said 'join' it got me thinkin'...

What about the River Celebrant? It's the Elvish name for the Silverlode and it joins the Anduin.
    Did bambu-thrice simply guess the wrong end of the Silverlode? As the other obvious answer would be where the Silverlode joins with Nimrodel.

If that is the answer, I will leave it open to bambu to post a riddle if he so desires, as I wouldn’t have come up with this on my own…
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    Did bambu-thrice simply guess the wrong end of the Silverlode? As the other obvious answer would be where the Silverlode joins with Nimrodel.

If that is the answer, I will leave it open to bambu to post a riddle if he so desires, as I wouldn’t have come up with this on my own…
    So there you have it

I was in fact looking for the River Nimrodel, which rises in the eastern foothills of the Misty Mountains, and then flows east to meet Celebrant (Silverlode) on the borders of Lothlótien.
    Therefore, it 'fuses silver', in the sense that it joins Silverlode.

Bambu³ had a great thinking on this one and so did Wilros for finishing it. I was afraid I had made it too tricky...

Good riddle Galthonviel. As I said, I will let bambu post the riddle if he wants to.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Galthonviel View Post
    So there you have it

I was in fact looking for the River Nimrodel, which rises in the eastern foothills of the Misty Mountains, and then flows east to meet Celebrant (Silverlode) on the borders of Lothlótien.
    Therefore, it 'fuses silver', in the sense that it joins Silverlode.

Bambu³ had a great thinking on this one and so did Wilros for finishing it. I was afraid I had made it too tricky...
    Oh the Nimrodel was the answer? Reckon I was getting tripped up over the words a bit.

Well if it's cool will y'all, I'll take a turn?

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Heh posting at the same time.

Thanks Wilros! Gonna percolate a bit and I'll come back with somethin' soon.

Lesee what y'all make o' this one...

branch break

Y'all know I love me some alliteration...

Hmm, branch could refer to simply a tree branch, but I am going to guess you refer to a family tree type branch instead. So a branch break would be when a family line ends. There are several of those to pick from, so I’ll chose a couple to guess:
    - The ending of the heirs of Anarion and the Kings of Gondor with the (presumed) death of Earnur.
    - The end of the Second Line of Kings of Rohan with the deaths of Theodred and Theoden.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    Hmm, branch could refer to simply a tree branch
    Actually, in this case it is! The branch (or branches) part is literal here. Good guess though!
    Last edited by bambubambubambu; Jun 06 2013 at 01:04 PM.

In the Old Forest, Bombadill and the hobbits:

Setting down his lilies carefully on the grass, he ran to the tree. There he saw Merry’s feet sticking out-the rest had already been drawn further inside. Tom put his mouth to the crack and began singing into it in a low voice. They could not catch the words, but evidently Merry was aroused. His legs began to kick. Tom sprang away, and breaking off a hanging branch smote the side of the willow with it. “You let them out again, Old Man Willow!” he said.
    Tom smote Old Man Willow and Gandalf smote the Balrog.

"Smote, smote, smote that evil thing.
    Smote, smote, smote it, til you make it's skull go Ding!"

- Wink and the Lazy-eye Blinkers
    Last edited by Boraxxe; Jun 07 2013 at 12:31 AM.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    In the Old Forest, Bombadill and the hobbits:

Tom smote Old Man Willow and Gandalf smote the Balrog.

"Smote, smote, smote that evil thing.
    Smote, smote, smote it, til you make it's skull go Ding!"

- Wink and the Lazy-eye Blinkers
    Nuther good guess! Still not it though!

Additional hint: the branch(es) are literal...the break not so much...

Another hint perhaps?

So far:

- branch=literal branch or branches
    - break=not a phsysical breaking of something

Next clue...

the break was a misdirection
    Edit: thought of a better clue
    Last edited by bambubambubambu; Jun 11 2013 at 10:13 PM.

Ents going to war?

Lots of branches in that, and you could say their anger finally simmered over and broke, leading to their actions against Saruman.

Or, the Huorns wiping out Saruman's army as it fled Helm's Deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulkfather View Post
    Ents going to war?

Lots of branches in that, and you could say their anger finally simmered over and broke, leading to their actions against Saruman.

Or, the Huorns wiping out Saruman's army as it fled Helm's Deep.
    After giving it some more thought, I reckon I made this one a bit too vague and shoulda picked different words. I'm gonna pass the stick to Mulk for this very clever answer! Take it away!

Oh and I"m not gonna reveal my answer cause I think I wanna use it again if I get another turn. Heh.

is that so? Okey-dokey then.

far flight

far flight:

Eärendil sailing in the sky aboard Vingilot.

"Now when first Vingilot was set to sail in the seas of heaven, it rose unlooked for, glittering and bright; and the people of Middle-earth beheld it from afar and wondered, and they took it for a sign, and called it Gil-Estel, the Star of High Hope."

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    far flight:

Eärendil sailing in the sky aboard Vingilot.

"Now when first Vingilot was set to sail in the seas of heaven, it rose unlooked for, glittering and bright; and the people of Middle-earth beheld it from afar and wondered, and they took it for a sign, and called it Gil-Estel, the Star of High Hope."
    actually, that's not one I had considered when composing this. Cool answer though. I love the story of Earendil in all of its particulars.

Well, flight obviously makes one think of the Eagles, and flying from the Misty Mountains to Mordor and Mount Doom for the Battle of the Morannon and the rescuing of Frodo and Sam is a far distance. IIRC the eagles also made an occasional trip to Numenor during the 2nd Age which would be quite a distance.

My last thought would be that flight could be a flight of stairs, and the Endless Stairs in Moria certainly qualify as going a far distance.

(I know it’s probably poor to post multiple guesses at once but the thread seems a little slow anyway so hopefully nobody minds).

I personally do not mind, Wilros. No dice on the guesses though.

Slow thread is slow. I'll toss out this hint - flight does not mean flying in the air.

Page 71 of 129 FirstFirst ... 21 61 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 81 121 ... LastLast