We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 128 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Re: Two-word Tolkien Trivia

Cirdan is correct. The Silmarillion tells that some of the Teleri remained at the Falas out of their love for Ulmo, and in the same paragraph it is stated that Cirdan was their lord. In those times the Valar had direct contact with the Teleri, and Ulmo taught them how to build ships and how to sail. If they remained in Middle-earth out of their love for Ulmo and Cirdan was their lord, it almost certainly follows that Cirdan had a personal relationship with Ulmo.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    Cirdan is correct. The Silmarillion tells that some of the Teleri remained at the Falas out of their love for Ulmo, and in the same paragraph it is stated that Cirdan was their lord. In those times the Valar had direct contact with the Teleri, and Ulmo taught them how to build ships and how to sail. If they remained in Middle-earth out of their love for Ulmo and Cirdan was their lord, it almost certainly follows that Cirdan had a personal relationship with Ulmo.
    I am a bit confused.
    Wouldn't that make Cirdan "Ulmo's friend" then instead of "Osse's friend"?
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    I am a bit confused.
    Wouldn't that make Cirdan "Ulmo's friend" then instead of "Osse's friend"?
    Sorry for the confusion. I will go back and check the passage I have in mind. I believe it refers to the Osse persuading the Teleri to stay and teaching them about ships, and then referring to Cirdan as their lord. The reference in my last post to Ulmo should just be sloppiness on my part, but I will go back and confirm I didn't mess up the original question.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Confusion aside...(or amongst)

Great-great-great-grandfather (can that be one word?) Peregrin
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Confusion aside...(or amongst)

Great-great-great-grandfather (can that be one word?) Peregrin
    Fortinbras Took I, 25th Thain of the Shire. He was the father of Gerontius, known as 'The Old Took' - the second oldest Hobbit on record. The oldest, of course, being Bilbo Baggins - who was Gerontius' grandson.
    [center][color=cyan]I used to have a signature but it went away with the forum revamp.[/color]
    [color=gold]ARKENSTONE:[/color][color=tan] Mithraudecthel 85 Elf WDN; Ulroduil 85 Elf GRD;
    Dagorlaer 68 Elf MIN; Fortinagard 55 Hobbit WDN; Galagath 50 Elf HNT;
    Tedimore 45 Man BRG; Faenvenel 37 Elf RK; Fingaladan 31 Elf LM[/color][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_Underhill View Post
    Fortinbras Took I, 25th Thain of the Shire. He was the father of Gerontius, known as 'The Old Took' - the second oldest Hobbit on record. The oldest, of course, being Bilbo Baggins - who was Gerontius' grandson.
    That is true. Fortinbras was one of Pippin's great-great-great-grandfathers.
    He had another that he shared with Meriadoc, for extra points, who was that?

That is true. Fortinbras was one of Pippin's great-great-great-grandfathers.
    He had another that he shared with Meriadoc, for extra points, who was that?
    Balbo Baggins, about whom little is recorded in History (as I'm sure he would consider right proper and respectable for a gentlehobbit) save that he married Berylla Boffin and sired five children.

(Sorry for the delay, I was afk for the weekend at a sci-fi convention.)

I'm sure this will not be any great difficulty for such learned scholars, but here is my poor attempt:

Heron Hollow.
    [center][color=cyan]I used to have a signature but it went away with the forum revamp.[/color]
    [color=gold]ARKENSTONE:[/color][color=tan] Mithraudecthel 85 Elf WDN; Ulroduil 85 Elf GRD;

And Mr. Underhill scores the extra points.
    Balbo Baggins is correct.

Heron Hollow.
    The Deeping-Coomb

They came swiftly from the North, walking like wading herons in their gait, but not in their speed; for their legs in their long paces beat quicker than the heron's wings.
    This passage created a lasting mental image, rigid upper bodies, bending at the waist with long stick-like legs moving them forward in a sort of pendulum-like movement.

The Deeping-Coomb

This passage created a lasting mental image, rigid upper bodies, bending at the waist with long stick-like legs moving them forward in a sort of pendulum-like movement.
    Hrm, hroom. That's quite evocative. It's not the answer I had in mind, however.

Herron hollow:

The pool in Henneth Annûn where Gollum was caught diving herron like for fishes?.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001019a8/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    "Of course I am the only elf in the village"

Quote Originally Posted by Morthaur View Post
    Herron hollow:

The pool in Henneth Annûn where Gollum was caught diving herron like for fishes?.
    *blink, blink* Yet another evocative image, but still not the one I was going for. Apparently my choice of a riddle wasn't unique enough... or maybe I just think too literally.

Are you referring to the Withywindle valley where Tom caught the River-daughter?

Are you referring to the Withywindle valley where Tom caught the River-daughter?
    I doubt herons would like the Withywindle; it's quite heavily wooded. They tend to prefer more open, marshy shores.

Think First Age.

Well, here is a reference to herons in the Withywindle valley:

Wise old Bombadil, he was a wary fellow;
    bright blue his jacket was, and his boots were yellow.
    None ever caught old Tom in upland or in dingle,
    walking the forest-paths, or by the Withywindle,
    or out on the lily-pools in boat upon the water.
    But one day Tom, he went and caught the River-daughter,
    in green gown, flowing hair, sitting in the rushes,
    singing old water-songs to birds upon the bushes.
    He caught her, held her fast! Water-rats went scuttering
    reeds hissed, herons cried, and her heart was fluttering.
    Said Tom Bombadil: 'Here's my pretty maiden!
    You shall come home with me! The table is all laden:
    yellow cream, honeycomb, white bread and butter;
    roses at the window-sill and peeping round the shutter.
    But I do understand that this is not what you are looking for.
    I shall endeavor to persevere.

Putting together some of the ancillary clues, perhaps Linaewen in Nevrast? "Linaewen was the name of that mere, because of the multitude of birds that dwelt there, such as love tall reeds and shallow pools." It's a lake not a hollow (The word means "Lake of Birds") but just before that, Nevrast, the land that it is in, is described as "a hollow land, surrounded by mountains and great coast-cliffs higher than the plains behind."
    [CENTER][I][FONT=Garamond]* * *
    [/FONT][/I][FONT=Palatino Linotype]"From without the World, though all things may be forethought in music or foreshown in vision from afar, to those who enter verily into Eä each in its time shall be met at unawares as something new and unforetold."[/FONT]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by BIGeyedBUG View Post
    Putting together some of the ancillary clues, perhaps Linaewen in Nevrast? "Linaewen was the name of that mere, because of the multitude of birds that dwelt there, such as love tall reeds and shallow pools." It's a lake not a hollow (The word means "Lake of Birds") but just before that, Nevrast, the land that it is in, is described as "a hollow land, surrounded by mountains and great coast-cliffs higher than the plains behind."
    And the BUG gets the no-prize.

Nevrast, from which Turgon led the Elves to Gondolin in 116 FA, was inhabited only by the birds for centuries afterwards.

BeB having been especially delinquent in posting a new one, I am going to toss in something that occurred to me the other day. It has the potential to be either rather easy or especially wicked. BeB, you can take my turn on the one-word riddle thread if you want.

Van Morrison

Van Morrison

Its a marvelous night for a moon dance: Luthien dancing in the moonlight by the Esgalduin.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001019a8/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    "Of course I am the only elf in the village"

That is correct. For super bonus points, can you name another moon dance that doesn't involve an elf princess?

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    That is correct. For super bonus points, can you name another moon dance that doesn't involve an elf princess?
    Gandalf, speaking after spending the night at Beorn's lodge;

"There must have been a regular bears' meeting outside here last night. I soon saw that Beorn could not have made them all: there were far too many of them, and they were of various sizes too. I should say there were little bears, large bears, ordinary bears, and gigantic big bears, all dancing outside from dark to nearly dawn."

Gandalf, speaking after spending the night at Beorn's lodge;

"There must have been a regular bears' meeting outside here last night. I soon saw that Beorn could not have made them all: there were far too many of them, and they were of various sizes too. I should say there were little bears, large bears, ordinary bears, and gigantic big bears, all dancing outside from dark to nearly dawn."
    That is correct, although there is an even better passage that appears on the next page of The Hobbit in which Bilbo dreams of bears dancing in the moonlight.

I am not sure who's turn it is (BeB, Morthaur?), but since I got the second shot at last one right I will propose a new one. Should be easy.

Lunar bookstaves

I am not sure who's turn it is (BeB, Morthaur?), but since I got the second shot at last one right I will propose a new one. Should be easy.

Lunar bookstaves
    The moon-runes on Thror's map, perhaps?

The moon-runes on Thror's map, perhaps?
    That is correct!

Page 2 of 128 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 102 ... LastLast