We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)

Two-word Tolkien Trivia

We are getting to the point with One-Word Trivia where we may have plumbed the depths. I am sure there are many more clues to come up with, but it is getting tougher.

So I thought I would start a two-word version. Hopefully, this will be a bit less restrictive and generate some creative and interesting puzzles.

This works the same.

The clue will be limited to 2 words. The answer can be any length, it is NOT restricted to 2 words. If you answer the puzzle correctly you get to provide the next clue.

Lets try to keep the subject material restricted to the major published works that are related to the world of Arda:

The Silmarillion
    The Children Of Hurin
    The Hobbit
    The Lord Of The Rings
    The Adventures Of Tom Bombadil

An example to demonstrate the structure:
    Clue: Mountain’s heart
    Answer: The Arkenstone (the gem that Thorin was obsessed with in The Hobbit). The Heart Of The Mountain was another name for this gem that was discovered beneath Erebor (the Lonely Mountain) by Thorin’s ancestor, Thrain the Old.

That is a long drawn out answer and all answers do not need to be such, though it is a bit more interesting if you provide more detail than just the bare bones.

I will start things off.

Clue: Star Lake
    Last edited by Boraxxe; Oct 27 2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: spellink
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Re: Two-word Tolkien Trivia

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Clue: Star Lake
    The Mirrormere(?) outside Moria's east gate - you can always see the stars in it's reflection, no matter the time of day (at least in-game)

Quote Originally Posted by Encyclopedia of Arda
    The shining lake in the Dimrill Dale beneath the eastern doors of Khazad-dúm, so called because of the stars reflected in its surface. It was called Kheled-zâram by the Dwarves.
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by sir-rinthian View Post
    The Mirrormere(?) outside Moria's east gate - you can always see the stars in it's reflection, no matter the time of day (at least in-game)
    Thats it!

Another interesting point about that lake: only stars can be seen reflecting in the lake. A person's image would not reflect, except for one notable exception, Durin could see his reflection.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Waiting for sir-rinthian to start one....

Anyone else want to start one while we wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Anyone else want to start one while we wait?
    I was going to go with "My Precious," but that seemed a little too challenging.

So, how about this: Silver Shield.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsix66 View Post
    I was going to go with "My Precious," but that seemed a little too challenging.

So, how about this: Silver Shield.
    I haven't put any research into this yet, but a thought just came to me.

If we consider "shield" to be a noun and we get a little abstract, a shield does not necessarily need to be thought of as the thing a warrior carries and holds in front of him during battle. It can be many things; an umbrella can be a shield against the rain, sunglasses can be shields for your eyes and shoes can be shields to protect your feet.

Another name for Mithril is Moria Silver.

This leads me to the mithril-ring mail shirt that Thorin gave to Bilbo who eventually gave it to Frodo.