We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 130 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)

Two-word Tolkien Trivia

We are getting to the point with One-Word Trivia where we may have plumbed the depths. I am sure there are many more clues to come up with, but it is getting tougher.

So I thought I would start a two-word version. Hopefully, this will be a bit less restrictive and generate some creative and interesting puzzles.

This works the same.

The clue will be limited to 2 words. The answer can be any length, it is NOT restricted to 2 words. If you answer the puzzle correctly you get to provide the next clue.

Lets try to keep the subject material restricted to the major published works that are related to the world of Arda:

The Silmarillion
    The Children Of Hurin
    The Hobbit
    The Lord Of The Rings
    The Adventures Of Tom Bombadil

An example to demonstrate the structure:
    Clue: Mountain’s heart
    Answer: The Arkenstone (the gem that Thorin was obsessed with in The Hobbit). The Heart Of The Mountain was another name for this gem that was discovered beneath Erebor (the Lonely Mountain) by Thorin’s ancestor, Thrain the Old.

That is a long drawn out answer and all answers do not need to be such, though it is a bit more interesting if you provide more detail than just the bare bones.

I will start things off.

Clue: Star Lake
    Last edited by Boraxxe; Oct 27 2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: spellink
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, Count your change, And try to walk the line"

Re: Two-word Tolkien Trivia

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Clue: Star Lake
    The Mirrormere(?) outside Moria's east gate - you can always see the stars in it's reflection, no matter the time of day (at least in-game)

Quote Originally Posted by Encyclopedia of Arda
    The shining lake in the Dimrill Dale beneath the eastern doors of Khazad-dúm, so called because of the stars reflected in its surface. It was called Kheled-zâram by the Dwarves.
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by sir-rinthian View Post
    The Mirrormere(?) outside Moria's east gate - you can always see the stars in it's reflection, no matter the time of day (at least in-game)
    Thats it!

Another interesting point about that lake: only stars can be seen reflecting in the lake. A person's image would not reflect, except for one notable exception, Durin could see his reflection.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, Count your change, And try to walk the line"

Waiting for sir-rinthian to start one....

Anyone else want to start one while we wait?

Anyone else want to start one while we wait?
    I was going to go with "My Precious," but that seemed a little too challenging.

So, how about this: Silver Shield.
    Mandelbaum, 105 Champ; PeabodySherman, 100 LM, House of Mooters, Landroval
    Rembandor, 85 Champ, Penquanta Periannath, Laurelin

Quote Originally Posted by bigsix66 View Post
    I was going to go with "My Precious," but that seemed a little too challenging.

So, how about this: Silver Shield.
    I haven't put any research into this yet, but a thought just came to me.

If we consider "shield" to be a noun and we get a little abstract, a shield does not necessarily need to be thought of as the thing a warrior carries and holds in front of him during battle. It can be many things; an umbrella can be a shield against the rain, sunglasses can be shields for your eyes and shoes can be shields to protect your feet.

Another name for Mithril is Moria Silver.

This leads me to the mithril-ring mail shirt that Thorin gave to Bilbo who eventually gave it to Frodo.

I haven't put any research into this yet, but a thought just came to me.

If we consider "shield" to be a noun and we get a little abstract, a shield does not necessarily need to be thought of as the thing a warrior carries and holds in front of him during battle. It can be many things; an umbrella can be a shield against the rain, sunglasses can be shields for your eyes and shoes can be shields to protect your feet.

Another name for Mithril is Moria Silver.

This leads me to the mithril-ring mail shirt that Thorin gave to Bilbo who eventually gave it to Frodo.
    That's an excellent guess, but not what I had in mind. I will say that I'm thinking of a person rather than an item.

Gil-galad

His Silver Shield is mentioned in the poem that Sam recited (he learned it from Bilbo) as the hobbits and Strider approached Weathertop.

Gil-galad

His Silver Shield is mentioned in the poem that Sam recited (he learned it from Bilbo) as the hobbits and Strider approached Weathertop.
    Excellent! You got it, and I thought that was a pretty tricksy chestnut, too.

Ok, here is another:

Articulate buddy

Ok, here is another:

Articulate buddy
    Maybe no one likes this category.
    Maybe this clue set is just lame.
    Maybe this clue set needs some clarification....

Think of the first word as a verb and not an adjective.

If that isn't the answer, I'll be amazed. That's quite clever.

Speak friend and enter.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    Speak friend and enter.
    Ok Vilnas...yer on.
    Grats!

This one is not so clever as the last, but it happens to be on the top of my head after some reading I was doing recently.

First scribe
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Uh, uh... the dude who first invented letters... was it Daeron who invented, them, or Feanor? I don't remember, it's been years...

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

Quote Originally Posted by Laire View Post
    Uh, uh... the dude who first invented letters... was it Daeron who invented, them, or Feanor? I don't remember, it's been years...
    Laire, I think you are very close.
    You gave me the impetus to check it out and lead me to this:

Rúmil was a Loremaster of the Ñoldor living in the city of Tirion.
    He invented writing and the first alphabet called Sarati.

Rumil is correct. According to the Silmarillion he was the first to invent writing. Feanor came along not too much later and created an improved alphabet that ended up being widely used by the elves, but the first "scribe" was Rumil.

Daeron was a member of Thingol's court. He also invented a form of writing called the Cirth. His other notoriety was his love for Luthien and jealously of Beren, which ultimately ended in Daeron departing Thingol's court in bitterness.
    Last edited by Vilnas; Nov 09 2010 at 04:53 PM.

Ok, another:

Isil Sarati

Much like Bilbo's poser about a fish on a table, this wasn't a particularly opportune time for an otherwise excellent riddle.

Moon letters on Thror's map, or
    Moon letters on the Gates of Moria

although technically neither would be using Sarati, which gives me some pause about my answers.

Moon Letters, Thror's map, you got it again Vilnas.

Yeah, the last one lead right into this one.
    grats!

(edit: Sarati means letters or alphabet methinks. So, it may be mixing language, but not meaning.)
    Last edited by Boraxxe; Nov 09 2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: explanation about Sarati

Osse's friend.

I'm looking for a specific rather than a general answer, and the answer is not Uinen. For proper credit you need to explain the specific context for the connection.

Osse's friend: Melkor.

Osse (who was a vassal of Ulmo) loves the violence and roaring of the waves crashing against the coasts.
    Melkor cared not for the sea, for he could not control it. Seeing Osse's taste for wild violence he wooed him to his service, promising Osse the realm and power that was Ulmo's as recompense.
    Osse complied and there was great devastation brought upon the coasts as the waves crashed into the land. Aule pleaded with Unien (Osse's spouse) to rein him in and bring him before Ulmo. She did this and he sought forgiveness, which Ulmo gave him. Osse remains faithful to Ulmo, but he still loves cooking up a good storm now and then.

Thank you. That is a good reply, but not what I had in mind. I will distinguish it by saying that the "correct" answer refers to someone who remained "Osse's special friend" at all times, and for my part I infer that Osse and Melkor's relationship (taken as a whole) was as tumultuous as Osse's nature. I should also have disqualified Ulmo in addition to Uinen in my original post.

Then it must be Cirdan, the Shipwright.

Osse grieved muchly when Ulmo came to the coasts of Beleriand to take the Telerian elves to Valinor. He would miss their singing for he had taught them much of the sea and of music. He convinced some to remain and Cirdan was their lord.

Page 1 of 130 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast