We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Is there a way to disable the Skirmish Horn client side?

Since Turbine can't be bothered to hotfix the horn, does anyone know a way to at least break it? Playing skirmishes on mute is not that fun.

I don't even see the point of the horn anyway. Where is the horn in the map? Who is blowing it? Does Turbine think we are so stupid that we can't see the giant text in the middle of our screen announcing a tactical update? Are we all narcoleptics who need to be jostled into consciousness in the middle of a major battle?

Really? What is the deal?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000000ab11/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Re: Is there a way to disable the Skirmish Horn client side?

Play with the audio slides, one of them has to control the horn I'd guess combat sounds.
    I'd think the horn is "client-side" the same way RK's shiny FX are
    Re-ni-AN-nen - strayed (ppt. of renia- 'to stray')
    Aeled Reniannen, Defender of Middle-earth ~ Nendhiniel, Forge-Warden : Captain and Wardenette from [EN-RP] Laurelin
    Fluffrash, Blade of Barashish ~ Nathraen, Conqueror of Towers : Warg Puppy and Spider Tailor from the darker side thereof
    Faradwen, Swift-Arrow : Huntress from [EN-RE] Landroval

As if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horns, horns. In dark Mindolluin's sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the North wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last.
    ~~~~~
    Kári was a little Dwarf. / Smaller than you or me. / And wherever Kári went / He took his axe… or three.

Unhappy Re: Is there a way to disable the Skirmish Horn client side?

OP: The horn was attached to the player music volume slider bar found on your audio tab (System > Options > Audio). Unfortunately, mine's been set to ZERO since...forever...and it was broken when F2P transitioned over. Mine is even set at ZERO right now, and skirmish horns or players playing abc music = BLARINGLY LOUD. You can ignore the players by adding them to your ignore list which silences them (my ignore list is gettign very full now), and that stops that problem, cuz some of those playing the music in certain areas are just griefers.

Skirmish horn is a whole other problem, and I wish they had given it its own slider bar. Especially when I forget to turn all of the game sound off via muting it before skirmishes, which I tend to do...cuz I like running around in games and being able...ya know...hear the game sounds at a reasonable volume. Anyhoo. I'm not sure of a way or means to actually remove the horn sound file on our end, and I'm not sure if tinkering around with files of that sort is a safe option at this juncture. n_n;

Bug report it, I'd imagine? That's imo, since I haven't seen much of a response on if/when this is getting fixed, I'd just say that's a safe assumption...unless someone can post a link to where a dev said this is getting addressed very soon (if anyone can point to where its mentioned, I'll give you a forum cookie!!! ). I'll bug report this until the cows come home, or until its fixed. Meanwhile, my ears continue to bleed n' hurt muchly if I pass by someone playing music in populated areas, and skirmishing really really sucks when its muted...especially where toons where reactionary skill sounds are concerned. *sighs*

If they'd just remove the horn sound on their end, then the message across the screen seems like quite sufficient, as far as alerts go. :/
    Last edited by Umbrael; Oct 25 2010 at 01:28 AM.

as said, turn all your sounds off and hope. Sometimes I still get the horn, sometimes I don't. It's random.

And bug report. Bug report, bug report, bug report. Hopefully, they'll do something soon. u_u

I tried myself to play with all the ingame sound bars without success. I then went into my Windows 7 speaker options and lowered the sound of the game from there. You wont hear much of your game but this help me be able to speak with my buddies on Vent/skype without them hearing the horn while I'm doing my skirmishs.
    Last edited by Arzac55; Nov 05 2010 at 10:15 AM.
    Bennyboy 100 Champion

The horn has been fixed for the November update. It's in the Bullroarer patch notes.

"Skirmish horn sound effects volume can now be controlled using the 'Sound Effects' slider under Audio Options."
    [COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Ayrolen[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrange]Anikosi[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Anfribur[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Ametrine[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Amari[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Ayaneth[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Red]Asparagus[/COLOR]-[COLOR=SandyBrown]Anayalos[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Alyradal[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Aloe[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Asiago[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Altanoin[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
    7 Haven Way, Tund Loriel, Falathlorn Homesteads
    [COLOR=White]Elendilmir[/COLOR] Arda Shrugged -[COLOR=White]Crickhollow[/COLOR] The Colonists[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]