We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Mobs with helicopter blades

Trouble in Tuckborough. Tier one. Duo. Me: level 65 Champion, berserker traited. Buddy: level 65 loremaster with bear pet, don't know what he was traited.

Three times in the skirmish, a mob with develop a helicopter blade effect for the entire time a specific skill would fire and it would stay active until defeated. I am guess it is tied to some kind of AOE attack. While funny to look it, it may be deadly as well.

The first two times it happened, it was a goblin (don't recall what kind it was) and both times, my morale took a serious dive. The goblins were defeated, but for me to drop 3k morale in less than 5 seconds was crazy.

The third time it happened, it was a Death-Monger. My buddy was defeated very quickly as well and I didn't last much longer. The Death-Monger helicopter blade happened during the final battle and there was plenty of enemy DPS, but it shouldn't have been to that level of damage.

After we retreated and returned, we were able to defeat the mobs without any difficulties. Has anyone else experienced this?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000134df0/signature.png]Kryhavoc[/charsig]

Re: Mobs with helicopter blades

This is an effect from a Priest of Vengeance. The Priest places a buff on an ally that causes it to reflect 200% of the damage dealt to it. The only real defense is to wait for the buff to expire (yes, it is a timed buff). The blades are just a warning to say "Don't hit this opponent if you want to live." Champs tend to hate this lieutenant.
    [I]Pineleaf Needles[/I],

Skirmisher Director for [URL="http://lotroplayers.mymiddleearth.com/"]LOTRO Players[/URL].

Remember to skirmish responsibly.

Quote Originally Posted by RaleyD View Post
    This is an effect from a Priest of Vengeance. The Priest places a buff on an ally that causes it to reflect 200% of the damage dealt to it. The only real defense is to wait for the buff to expire (yes, it is a timed buff). The blades are just a warning to say "Don't hit this opponent if you want to live." Champs tend to hate this lieutenant.
    This.

The OP probably did 1500 points of damage to the buffed mob, which is why he took a 3000 point hit to his own morale. 200% damage reflection is naaasssty.

The Priest of Vengeance himself is wimpy. He doesn't hit very hard, and his only superpower is the reflection buff. The strategy for dealing with him is simple: Kill him first, and don't use any AoE attacks that might hit the whirling-blades mob. Be sure to order your soldiers to attack the PoV as well, or they'll suffer the same fate.

It gets trickier when you get a PoV in a double-LT draw with something else. This is what happened to the OP when he got a PoV + Death Monger draw. That poses a quandry; normally you kill the Death Monger first, since he raises fallen allies as fell-spirits. However, when teamed with PoV, you can't attack the DM since he has the buff. You either have to kill the PoV first and just deal with the summoned spirit (the DM can be stunned out of the summoning induction in solo/duo/trio skirmishes), or work on the PoV until the buff drops, then work the DM until it comes back up, etc. to try to kill the DM first.

An even more interesting double-LT combo is PoV + Defender of the Vile. You can't hit the DotV due to the reflection buff, and you can't kill the PoV because of the defense buff. Catch-22. You have to separate them far enough that the PoV is out of range of the DotV's buff aura. If you're in an tight/enclosed area, this can be tricky.

Fun stuff.

One of my favorite Lieutenants. He only shows up in group skirmishes, and he really makes you pay attention. He's the one LT that really makes me YELL across the house to my wife when we're running a duo.
    Arda Shrugged:Elendilstone

Wow, thanks so much! That explains a lot, we did see Priest of Vengeance during those battles.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000134df0/signature.png]Kryhavoc[/charsig]

Fantasy Land, sharing a house with Loch Ness and Bigfoot

My personal favourite combo with the PoV is the Wrethched Falconer. ESPECIALLY when people don't get the mechanic behind the Falconer and they keep wailing on him, and don't get why his Morale is stable and their own Morale is plummeting. Or, when the PoV keeps Chopper blading the Crebain that you have to kill to kill the Falconer.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow]"I wonder what causes this, and if it could be changed," shows a much deeper thought process than, "Is it laziness or incompetence that prevents my desires from being fulfilled?"[/COLOR] ~ [COLOR=blue][B]floon[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [COLOR=#0000ff][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow]"There are no limits to the devious plans of Sapience™"[/COLOR][COLOR=blue] ~ [B]Tolero[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000052200/01001/signature.png]Borihnon[/charsig]