Re: Welcome Kinships!
Servants of the Secret Fire
Server location: Landroval
Geographic location: The Americas
You would need to register on our webpage at: www.theonering.com/kinship
Below, and also on our webpage, is our charter. Generally speaking, we are open to nice and respectable people with a genuine interest in Tolkien, a maturity of character, and a tolerance for absurdity.
Servants of the Secret Fire: Basic Constitution
Common Tongue: Servants of the Secret Fire
Quenya: Núror Muinaréva
Sindarin: Bŷr en-Naur Thurin
Location: Middle Earth, Landroval server
Motto: Servants of the Secret Fire: Ridiculously indignant since April 14, 2007, Shire reckoning.
Mission statement: I, Boffo Bolger, chief of the kinship "Servants of the Secret Fire" (also known as "The band of Middle Earth residents with delusions of grandeur so profoundly unbalanced that they have likened themselves to Maia spirits despite being led by a 3 foot 4 inch hobbit with limited skills") have every intention of making this group one guided by the principle of ridiculous indignation . We will fight for good causes, no matter how ridiculous they are, how ridiculous we look, or how ridiculous we sound. We will invoke the fury of our ridiculously distant relations while completing both the most mundane and most dangerous of tasks.
Common phrases will include:
"For the love of Mandos, and in the spirit of our noble, albeit insignificant fathers, let us curdle that cow's milk!"
"May Mandos protect us while we carry this basket of eggs to safety!"
"You cannot pass! I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you here, evil badger! You cannot pass!"
Mode of Governance: "Enlightened Constitutional Chiefdom." This is really not very different from a loosely governed Enlightened despotism. The difference is that there is slightly greater coherence in our body, given that it is based on a Constitution, the 7 Deadly Serious Scribblings of the Servants of the Secret Fire (detailed below). Matters of serious concern will be decided on by a college of leaders (whomever is readily available at the time of crisis), yet with my consent needed. A veto from myself on any decision by the college can be overridden by an overwhelming majority. Other decisions will be made independently by leaders themselves, with an eye to the 7 Deadly Serious Scribblings of the Servants of the Secret Fire.
Leaders are subject to the Scribblings, are expected to uphold the principles included therein, and can be demoted, at any time, by myself, after consulting with the available college of leaders.
Kinship rules and principles: The 7 Deadly Serious Scribblings of the Servants of the Secret Fire
1) Zero Tolerance for Egregious offences to the Tolkien name: No one with the name "orliiloveu11" or any other teeny-bopper variants are allowed entry.
2) Light roleplaying: Light, flexible and non-required RPG is the name of our game. Infused, of course, with an element of ridiculous indignation during questing activities.
3) A shared TORC spirit: This forms the foundation of this kinship, and the ideals of this community will be taken into account when recruiting non-TORC members, which is a highly desirable thing. These ideals are expressed simply as a genuine interest in Tolkien's works and a maturity of character . The adoption of non TORC members is, in this vein, important, as you will meet non TORCers on this server who may be very much appropriate for the kinship in terms of their interest in Tolkien and their level of maturity. It is desirable to ask applicants to sign onto the boards and use it as a kinship talking space. This should be communicated to them upon an invite.
4) TORC Communication: This board will serve as the prime space for talk. Alternatively, if people want to speak via skype and other mediums outside of the game world, they can opt into that, but are not required to share personal contact information.
5) Good will: It is the intention of the founders that this kinship treat everyone, whether they are the occasional players who sign on for either short periods each day, or only a few times a week, with not only respect, but with a real helping hand. In other words, since some play less, those who play more should be ready to help with quests, help with issues of gameplay, and help with tools and equipment, whether it be giving someone an unwanted weapon, or just a pat on the back for moral support....
6) Good manners: This kinship vows to maintain a hospitable clime. We therefore welcome only those travelers that are generally respectable people. In other words, no sleazeballs and no sexual harassment (although if you want, you can form friendships and even intimate friendships, as long as you do so in a tasteful manner, and keep certain talk in private chat.....). As such, I would encourage, although it would be difficult to enforce, a kinship made of characters that are of good intentions. I ask for help from my leaders in maintaining such a population.
7) Bridge-building: We are to be known as a friendly, yet passionate kinship, committed to the cause of the free peoples of Middle Earth. We will form fellowships and friendships with other noble-minded kinships and individuals, in the spirit of this pursuit.
That is all. Go about your business and kill all neeker breekers when you get the chance. By Bilbo's breeches, they will not spoil my summer this year!
First order: All TORCers who participated in the foundation of the kinship (namely, if you join within the first month of its fouding) will be automatically be designated as "leaders" or "officers" of the kinship, with the express permission to recruit and add members. You may decline this designation if you wish. The position, while honorable, is always subject to review, and can be revoked if said leader is thought to have significantly violated the rules of the charter. If you ever say "orlando bloom is a dreamie pie" you will lose your status as leader immediately.
The following is a characteristically long-winded salutation:
Yours truly and always at your service, at the service of the Free People's of Middle Earth, and at the service of my noble fathers, who knew people who spoke about people who were related to people who once saw from a distance (and possibly brushed up against) the legendary Bandobras "Bullroarer" Took,