We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    6 Long Street, Bree-land Homesteads, Landroval, open to all

Re: Foreclose on player homes already!!!

I'm glad they reserved my 7G home when I came back on September 8th this year. I paid either 4 or 5G in fees to unlock it, but it was there for me almost a year later.

To the OP and those who agree with him: you have to understand that the house is also the only long-term way to hold all of those decorations and rewards players worked their rear end off to get. On top of that, it's not like each player has a unique house or real-estate location that's being held back from other players. If more housing is needed, Turbine can just add more neighborhoods (they're all identical copies of each other in terms of real estate and houses).

If you can't get the specific house you want because they're all occupied or reserved in all the neighborhoods of the racial housing area you want, don't blame the players. Blame Turbine for not opening up more neighborhoods in a timely manner.

Homes should be difficult to initially get into, but then it should be easy to get back into a home after a foreclosure.

For instance, normal prices should be charged to buy a home. When a home is foreclosed, there shouldn't be heavy punitive damages. Everything should simply go into escrow. When a player wants it, they pay a quick housing fee on a new house and everything pops back.

Clean up the vacant trash, but make it so that a person doesn't really lose anything. They might have to pick a new housing location, but it's a simple and easy process to do so.
    As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he joined the Smaug The Dragon raid. Then he asked for leadership, looted the chest, assigned himself the 1st age Arkenstone and mailed it to an alt (Bilbo's a VIP so can mail from anywhere). They did some PvMP and an Epic Battle, then he apologized and gave the Arkenstone back. He kept the pony.

Quote Originally Posted by Banaticus View Post
    Clean up the vacant trash, but make it so that a person doesn't really lose anything. They might have to pick a new housing location, but it's a simple and easy process to do so.
    I didn't have to change my location, nor was I given any option to do so. I'm not sure if you were saying you'd like to see/should see that change or if you were explaining what happens?

Quote Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post

If you can't get the specific house you want because they're all occupied or reserved in all the neighborhoods of the racial housing area you want, don't blame the players. Blame Turbine for not opening up more neighborhoods in a timely manner.
    begone with your common sense.. this thread is about rawrblamemorage due to players not getting what they want right freaking now!

Been hearing the same argument since Housing was opened and they changed it, the only difference is the names that bring it up every 3-6 weeks.

Bottom line, what difference does it make to YOU as a player what someone else does with a virtual pixelhouse they shelled out their gold for?

Would it it make a difference if someone was gone for 6-8 months and the house was locked, yet they came back and gladly paid to reopen it (like above somewhere), or a player like me, a lifetimer who hasn't seriously played in months, yet still finds the time to log in once a month to make sure my house is paid up in full.. either way, the house is getting used exactly the same amount of time.. ZERO.

The system is in place for everyone to get a house who wants one, you just need to either
    1. learn to 'work' the system, or
    2. be patient enough for a new homestead to open and pounce on your own personal 4 Wending way.

I doubt Turbine is going to do a danged thing until there are 250+ neighborhoods filled up in all 4 racial neighborhoods on at least 2-3 servers... that's along way off even after these years the housing system has been available and broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgaard View Post
    begone with your common sense.. this thread is about rawrblamemorage due to players not getting what they want right freaking now!

(...)

I doubt Turbine is going to do a danged thing until there are 250+ neighborhoods filled up in all 4 racial neighborhoods on at least 2-3 servers... that's along way off even after these years the housing system has been available and broken.
    Indeed. It's the reason I didn't abandon my house for another one a year ago: because I couldn't find the Deluxe home I really wanted. It's a shame to hear that hasn't changed and that all home locations aren't available across any combination of neighborhoods. But I certainly won't make a flame bait thread like the OP when complaining about it.

Turbine, if you decide to foreclose on homes, I would like to buy them, fix them up, and resell them. Just let me know when they will be auctioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgaard View Post
    The system is in place for everyone to get a house who wants one, you just need to either
    1. learn to 'work' the system, or
    2. be patient enough for a new homestead to open and pounce on your own personal 4 Wending way.

Yes, because THAT is what everyone really wants. All they really want is one SPECIFIC house and couldn't care less if it is in a completely static neighborhood FULL of unused locked homes that never change. The yards never change, you never see that a new neighbor moved in, you have ZERO chance of ever seeing anyone else in your neighborhood. When alternatively, perhaps there are a dozen of those VERY houses you have your eye on but have been on accounts which haven't been accessed in 6, 12, 18, months or longer!

The other suggestion I had was if a house is locked out for 6 or more months (heck make it 12 or 18 if you really must), then another player can make an upfront full payment on that house, the account owner is sent an E-mail saying someone is going to purchase it if they don't log into their account, and if in 2-4 weeks that person fails to do so, the house is sold. In this way, an abandoned house CAN be kept FOREVER, unless someone puts in a bid to buy it, and wants to wait up to a month to see if it will be reclaimed by the owner.

At any rate, as I said, in the end Turbine will almost certainly implement a foreclosure system at some point. They will have to. They simply can't keep spawning more and more neighborhoods where more and more of them become completely full of JUST abandoned properties.
    [COLOR=Red][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by FoxFire View Post
    The other suggestion I had was if a house is locked out for 6 or more months (heck make it 12 or 18 if you really must), then another player can make an upfront full payment on that house, the account owner is sent an E-mail saying someone is going to purchase it if they don't log into their account, and if in 2-4 weeks that person fails to do so, the house is sold. In this way, an abandoned house CAN be kept FOREVER, unless someone puts in a bid to buy it, and wants to wait up to a month to see if it will be reclaimed by the owner.
    Now that LOTRO is F2P I certainly like and support that idea. When it was sub only this wouldn't work so well since people would have to resubscribe to stop the transaction.

The problem is that you don't know which players are coming back again and which ones are not. Personally I did not even consider buying a house at all early on, because you could lose it if you didn't pay upkeep. I wanted the freedom to be able to take a vacation from the game without losing that investment forever. As soon as they changed the rules to let us keep the houses forever I went and bought one.

Quote Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
    Now that LOTRO is F2P I certainly like and support that idea. When it was sub only this wouldn't work so well since people would have to resubscribe to stop the transaction.
    Have the original owner have the money and all the house items in perment escrow. So if they do come back, they lost thier hose but have enought money to buy one and will not have to unlock it. Seems better than a multi-gold payment they will have to come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohi View Post
    The problem is that you don't know which players are coming back again and which ones are not. Personally I did not even consider buying a house at all early on, because you could lose it if you didn't pay upkeep. I wanted the freedom to be able to take a vacation from the game without losing that investment forever. As soon as they changed the rules to let us keep the houses forever I went and bought one.
    The fact they said this is the reason the have to estabilish a permanent escrow and refund some of the money.

How about this twist: Sell the house as cipher_nemo suggested, if the original owner comes back, the new owners items get his items thrown in escrow and purchased money refunded. and the original owner get his house back, but has to get his items back out of escrow, sort of like when Bilbo returned to the Shire

Or give the returning player an offer, "Someone wants to buy your old house, do you accept the offer of Xg (original price) " Yes = the returning player gets the gold, No= the ocuppying player gets the boot and his gold back, the player has to deal with locked house and maintence cost (but his items are in escrow and accessable). If the house has been multiple owners, the senior owner has precidence.
    Last edited by Ascus2; Oct 01 2010 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxFire View Post
    At any rate, as I said, in the end Turbine will almost certainly implement a foreclosure system at some point. They will have to. They simply can't keep spawning more and more neighborhoods where more and more of them become completely full of JUST abandoned properties.
    Why not? I mean really, they are instances. Only a few things of data stored. Probably the biggest thing would be the storage, and that would simply go to the escrow, so nothing lessened there.

What is funny is I decided to upgrade houses today. I looked around to find a good house to buy. I wanted one close to the entrance with snow (so my Yule trees will look good), I decided on 3 Low street, emptied my chest and all my furniture/decorations, and went outside to buy it. I looked and it was not available at all. So, I agree it would nice to find a way to either open up the the unused housing some way - or new neighborhoods.

To be honest, I miss the housing in AC1. It was nice to have non-instanced housing all over the world. You would see a neighborhood just exploring, and could look in on how people decorated (you could open your house so everyone could come in and look at it). I spent countless hours acquiring useless decorations for my AC house. It was awesome to get random tells from strangers who would look at my house and let me know how much they liked it.
    Last edited by Bradd; Oct 01 2010 at 07:15 PM.

There are couple premium houses in each settlement, My daughter has the house right next the entrance and loves it. It sad to see these high profile house locked and unaccessable, some not even decorated.

If your going to leave for a while, please at least decorate the outside of your house with some non-seasonal decorations, like trees, status and such. Skip the hoiday stuff, it looks odd outside the that holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Thane9 View Post
    First off, reported.

Secondly, you sir are a terrible excuse for a human being to demonstrate such complete lack of respect for those people who sacrifice so much.

Thirdly, this is a GAME. RL trumps a GAME 100% of the time. And people should not be unduely penalized for having real life obligations. PARTICULARLY RL obligations that put them in harms way.

I cannot fathom why it's such a big deal for people. Housing in this game is BARELY an impact on anything but some extra storage space. It's not like this is some sophisticated sandbox game where there are abandoned houses littering the landscape. AND it's not like people who wish to gather and populate an area cannot if they so choose.

IMHO, the upside of having no foreclosures is FAR greater than the cost that comes to people's desire to buy a particular house in a particular instance.

Having a hard time finding a housing instance that has the combination of available houses you'd like to see? Then approach those owners and make an offer to buy them out. The owners aren't available? Try another instance.
    First off, I'm flattered.

Secondly, you type like you have fat hands.

Thirdly, this is a GAME. Why should RL have anything to do with it? IE being away regardless of the reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Arenthil31 View Post
    Being a former Active Duty US Marine with two tours in Iraq, I can safely say that you sir, are an idiot.
    Being a current person who can give a **** less about what you used to be, I can safely say that you mam, probably smell.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgonautIOI View Post
    You need to give a little respect to those who have served their country. I like myself am disabled due to serving my country are quite insulted. Don't besmirch those who did to make your point.
    I can care less about the housing situation, but what about "I was away because of cancer treatment" or "I was in the hospital because of burns I received while saving a burning bus full of puppies".

I'm not sure why it's so hard to understand that these games should not be connected to RL scenarios.

People using the military as some standardized excuse for "video games" should be ashamed of themselves.

Now if you will excuse me, I have to go try and use my SAMS Club card to get some LOTRO store items.
    Last edited by Smorgheim; Oct 01 2010 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smorgheim View Post
    This has nothing to do with respect. It's using the military as some holy grail for online gaming rules. I can care less about the housing situation, but what about "I was away because of cancer treatment" or "I was in the hospital because of burns I received while saving a burning bus full of puppies".

It's silly.
    Are you man enough to go outside in public and express your views? $1000 says you are not. Kinda nice being safe and sound behind a pc monitor where you can say things you'd be too scared to say in public. Here you don't have to back up what you say either do you? You claim you don't care yet you keep replying to people well after you've made yourself look very foolish. Why is that? You seem to think people people are getting upset with your views? I'm not sure who gave you that impression but they lied to you. If you mattered, maybe people would be upset but you don't so......

You realize all we have to do is mark you as Ignored on the forums and you will never exist to us again. After this post, I'll never ever see your existence again. Nothing you can do about it.

Bye-bye.

IBTL.

You know the movie 'Bambi vs. Godzilla'? I think the end scene is coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by Adroc View Post
    derp
    I Sir, concur.

Quote Originally Posted by Viniel View Post
    IBTL.

You know the movie 'Bambi vs. Godzilla'? I think the end scene is coming up.
    I have.....never seen this. I must.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradd View Post
    To be honest, I miss the housing in AC1. It was nice to have non-instanced housing all over the world.
    This is the only game I've been in that had housing. I was in AC1 but it must have been before housing, or I was too low level to have seen it. However I have heard this technique described a lot. The major drawback is that if you let players put houses anywhere, you end up with a mess. Great for incoherent sandbox games like UO but awful for a game that is trying to recreate middle earth. You also need instances to reduce the number of houses you see; if every single house was out in the world it would be cluttered since there are just too many players with houses.

What I would have liked maybe is existing houses with doors that led to instanced houses inside. So that your house fit seemlessly into the game world; one of those alleys in Bree maybe, or up in Little Delving. The isolated homestead style just feels wrong to me, that style of land development just doesn't agree with how I see middle earth.

This is the only game I've been in that had housing. I was in AC1 but it must have been before housing, or I was too low level to have seen it. However I have heard this technique described a lot. The major drawback is that if you let players put houses anywhere, you end up with a mess. Great for incoherent sandbox games like UO but awful for a game that is trying to recreate middle earth. You also need instances to reduce the number of houses you see; if every single house was out in the world it would be cluttered since there are just too many players with houses.

What I would have liked maybe is existing houses with doors that led to instanced houses inside. So that your house fit seemlessly into the game world; one of those alleys in Bree maybe, or up in Little Delving. The isolated homestead style just feels wrong to me, that style of land development just doesn't agree with how I see middle earth.

I think that is what EQ2 did. I never played it but the houses in city's were all available, and just instanced to whoever owned it (or had permissions).

Anarchy Online did the same thing with apartments, but player built cities were actually claimed land, which was kind of cool.

I was running through the home area I have clicking on mailboxes of many many houses and they all said "Closed due to failure to pay upkeep". It could free up 12 to 30 houses if they did what it was supposed to. I don't at the moment remember exactly how many houses are in each area but still loads and loads of them were closed but still there. I went to look at buying a kin house as well and again there were 3 spots open rest of them are closed. It isn't possible in my house area on my server for those to be active as there are not that many players here still. Just what is the housing guy who holds items from closed bank vaults there for if its not used? When I expect to possibly be out of play for a time I empty my house of all items including bound items so that if I am gone a year I don't have to pay that fee to get my stuff out of the holding slot. Most housing districts have had houses like this since houses were introduced because a lot of players quit right after that to go to another game and never came back. So what is the deal with all the unbuyable houses and unbuyable kin houses in all the areas?

This reminds me of what SOE decided to do with SWG. I don't know if it was already mentioned earlier but 7 pages is too much to browse through.

Basically a few years back they established a date and time and players all went out and basically 'marked' homes that were known to be old and abandoned. We looked for them and the more we marked, we actually got something out of it. It was actually pretty fun.

From what I remember, basically SOE was able to pack up the home and put it into the old players datapad (an inventory of sorts) and that way the house itself could be physically removed from the game world, and should the original subscriber and owner of the home return to the game, they had their house waiting for them in their inventory, with all the items still there. All they had to do was then find some open land to unpack it. Homes weren't instanced like they are here so players here would basically have to replace or 'fill' an open and available house.

I don't know if something like this could happen in this game but it sure wouldn't hurt to look into it.

This is the only game I've been in that had housing. I was in AC1 but it must have been before housing, or I was too low level to have seen it. However I have heard this technique described a lot. The major drawback is that if you let players put houses anywhere, you end up with a mess.
    Players couldn't build houses anywhere they wanted. Turbine build neighbors all over the world and you could buy houses first come, first served.

The difference is that the neighborhoods were not instanced, and there were many more neighborhoods. You actually became friends with your neighbors (since you had to be subscribed and paying your rent to keep your house).
    Last edited by Bradd; Oct 01 2010 at 09:57 PM.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast