We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 208
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,852

    Re: Foreclose on player homes already!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by BellusDuFenna View Post
    You know, there is another solution to this which might make things a little better, but still preserve the locked houses for their current owners.

    NPCs.
    hahaha, that's a cool idea.

    Personally, I never worry about whether there are other players in the neighborhood because I generally don't use it, and since the addition of shared storage I rarely return home, though I do have one parked at the neighborhood vault. But I can see how other players would like that more social atmosphere but I'm not sure foreclosing on homes would change anything. People have to be willing to hang out in the neighborhoods for them to be lively. Maybe some of those Ales & Tales and other gatherings can take place in neighborhoods on that stage. Just because people own homes, doesn't mean you'll ever see them.
    R.I.P. Big E

  2. #27
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,888

    Re: Foreclose on player homes already!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon8 View Post
    I don't get it.
    If you don't log in within 6 months, why should you get to keep your house? You left the game that long, I think it's fair to say your house should be available to other responsible players who actually pay their upkeep and regularly log into the game.

    If you come back after 6 months to a year and you start complaining on the forums how your house was taken, you deserved it.
    The servers can only spawn so much space to store all the data.

    Why should a house become a lifetime trophy when the player will not play for their entire lifetime?
    I mean really, at what point will that house become available? When the servers close down and LOTRO is finished?

    Turbine please reconsider this.
    Why does it matter to you?

    Everyone with enough money can buy a house. Once again, EVERYONE with enough money can buy a house. Nobody will be turned away as the system stands now. When neighborhoods fill up more are opened so that everybody who wants to can buy a house. There was a specific deluxe house I wanted in Bree so I waited until a new neighborhood opened up and I bought it. Until Turbine states that they will no longer open up new neighborhoods, you got it, everyone can buy a house.

    I've read arguments that houses should be stripped from players because the neighborhoods are ghost towns. That argument holds about as much water as a rusty sieve. If every single house in every single neighborhood was owned by an active accounts the neighborhoods would still be ghost towns. There is no incentive for players to stay in their neighborhoods. Players ride/port there to drop things off or pick things up, they quickly visit the vendors to repair, restock or bank and then they ride/port out. I've bought three homes in three different neighborhoods when those neighborhoods were new and the homes used by active players. In two and a half years I can count on two hands the number of players I've seen in my neighborhoods. Until Turbine gives us a reason to spend time in our neighborhoods they will be little more than a pit stop and thus ghost towns.

    In my opinion the advantages of the current house ownership system outweigh any benefit of changing it. If Turbine ever completely reworks the housing system and makes neighborhoods a hub of activity then that would be the time to review the home ownership system. But as Turbine hasn't touched player housing in the past three years I wouldn't advise holding one's breath.
    Half of being clever is making certain you are not being stupid.

    Calabar:65 Hunter – Ullrick:65 Hunter – Farli:65 Minstrel – Raedan:65 Champion – Garrian:65 Captain – Karzack:65 Rune-Keeper

  3. #28

    Re: Foreclose on player homes already!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Raath View Post
    You are remembering incorrectly. They have never foreclosed the houses, because, as you mentioned, the lifetime subs.

    However, you certainly are correct that there's been much hue and cry about this since housing was introduced.
    No hes not remembering incorrectly, I'm a lifetime member and founder and myself amd a few friends lost our homes and all of our stuff that had apparently gone into escrow for 2 weeks. Just because some of us have lifetime memberships does not mean we have to play 24/7.

    This had happened to too many people and Turbine changed it to what it is now.

    I do not agree with the OP since I play these games for fun not as a virtual responsibility.

  4. #29

    Re: Foreclose on player homes already!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Calabar View Post
    Why does it matter to you?

    Everyone with enough money can buy a house.
    But not everyone can buy the house on 4 Roaring Road, can they?
    Each property looks different, has different square acreage, has varying placement of the outside walls. Some property has snow on the ground with light snow falling, others are near some bright blue crystals with rocky ground.
    Some are near a waterfall, while others are right next to the entrance.
    Owning a home is about status. It's about choosing YOUR home. The one that fits you. The one you can customize. I don't care if my neighborhood is a ghost town. I just want the house that I want.

    The deluxe house I want out of all 250+ housing instances Turbine says they have isn't available.
    Out of the 6 or so neighborhoods I can access that have deluxe housing available, in almost all of them the lot I want is locked due to non payment of upkeep.

    So...that's why I care.

    And another thing, if the big uproar is that players lose their stuff if the house is foreclosed, then think about this.
    Currently a house can be locked indefinitely, unlocked as soon as the owner logs in after 3 years and pays his fee not to exceed the price of the home.
    But if you abandon your house, and all your stuff goes into the escrow broker, you have 14 days to claim it or else it decays and is unrecoverable.

    Why? Why not foreclose and keep the stuff on the escrow broker Turbine? You're already wasting server space leaving all their **** displayed on the lot, wouldn't it be less space to just store it all as data only within an NPC? Compound that across every neighborhood, every server, every player.
    Think how much space you would save, while at the same time opening up lots to players that actively play.

    Makes sense to me.
    Last edited by Halcyon8; Sep 30 2010 at 11:57 PM.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    141

    Re: Foreclose on player homes already!!!

    I would never deny someone who is fighting overseas the right to be able to return to find his pixel game house as he left it.

    In Ultima online the landscape was littered with houses for years upon years after players had left the game. If you are tricksy you can force the housing instance to start a new instance and get the houses you and your kin want together.

  6. #31

    Re: Foreclose on player homes already!!!

    I agree with the op, it makes no sense to indefinitly have houses closed and unavailable. Just imagine all the F2P players buying the cheap houses(cause they are at the goldlimit anyway), then leaving and never returning because they are not attached to the game. We could easily go from 250 neighborhoods to 2500 in another 3 years, and to what purpose?

    Im one of those that returned after over a year and found my home untouched, yay! I loved my neighborhood. But wait, my neighborhood was gone, the kinhouse of the funny RP guild next door was closed, so was my next neighbor and actually 90% of my neighborhood. So what did i do? I abandoned my house and got me the same in another instance, because while my house was still there and untouched, my neighborhood was gone. And what is the house worth without the neighborhood anyway? Just a port, some shared storage and some cosmetics no one is ever going to see. You can get a identical one pretty much any time you want, and if you still care about your neighborhood after being gone for over a year... well chances are its gone, thats why we want the change because a new neighborhood is better than a ghost town.

    So i propose the following:

    1. Houses of free and premium players that don't have paid rent for more then 2 months get put back on market and stuff goes into escrow indefinitly.

    2. VIP homes get closed, but not put on market.

    3. If considered necessary create a new instance for a returnee where he gets the exact same house in the exact same spot upon paying his fines(but a different instance obviously).

    The military person serving their country has several options in that case:

    1. Keep your sub active, if LTA problem does not arise.
    2. Explain situation to kin or friends, give them the money and have them pay for your home, let sub lapse.
    3. Ask(ingame) neighbors to care for your building, they get to use the building in exchange or something.
    4. Have a family member or friend create a F2P account and care for the house.


    This would be the first step to make housing more interesting and has to come before anything else in regards to housing. Without real person neighbors all you have is an empty instance all to your own, and no amount of changes to housing would ever make your neighborhood anything but a ghost town if 90% of the houses in it are locked.

    Im aware my proposal doesn't address LTAs, but really while they might be part of the current problem, the future problem will be F2P/Premium houses of people who never put much time into the game and never intend to return. Atleast stop the ghost towns from growing and spreading. Because yes im one of the hopeful ones that expects housing to be awesome one day, and like i said, neighborhoods without neighbors are worthless, might aswell give everyone their own instance of a neighborhood.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The Perilous Realm
    Posts
    2,490

    Re: Foreclose on player homes already!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by guguzza View Post
    I would never deny someone who is fighting overseas the right to be able to return to find his pixel game house as he left it.
    What? Since when is this a right?

    Houses should foreclose no matter what after a certain period of non payment. People who expect to not play for an extended time and still come back to their house need to get over it. People need to stop feeling like these little LOTRO houses are their personal property. They're not. And I'll say it, I don't care if the reason is that they're in the military. They need to get over it too. If they're really concerned about their little pixel house they can arrange for friends to pay for it in their absence.

    Housing serves a purpose for people who are active in the game. It served no purpose for people who are not in game. Right now housing just doesn't work and this is a big reason for it. There has to be another way. People who are not actively playing need to stop being selfish and just get themselves a new house when they get back.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Killing a Boogan somm'ers, 'cause they remind me of Bogarts.
    Posts
    2,999

    Re: Foreclose on player homes already!!!

    So far the only real reason I've seen to change this was because people want a certain house location. Sorry, but you can wait for a new 'Hood' to open up like the rest of us.

    As to the, "Hoods feel empty" argument, I don't buy it. Even when they first cam out and I bought into one of the first ones. It filled up quick. I only saw, at most, three other people in the hood the whole time I had a home there. And it was an 'active' hood. I know this because the day our kin moved it's kin house, and the four of us that had homes there moved to the Shire on the same day, it took less than a day for the other kin in the hood to buy the homes we abandoned.

    Taking away peoples home will not make more player show up in your hood. :/ As player spend most of there time playing and not hanging in the hood.

    If you want more people in your hood, run events.

    If want a certain location, wait for it.
    ****Bogarts! We hates Bogarts!****

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,385

    Re: Foreclose on player homes already!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Smorgheim View Post
    Calm down spaz.

    I'm simply saying that regardless of the reason (lol military) The game has a mechanic that is not working. What does being in the military have to do with it? Lot's of people stop playing for various reasons. Pulling the "but they served their country! derka deeeer!" card is pretty weird.

    Not weird at all really... Actually a perfectly good example where foreclosing on a house might not be "fair".

    BTW the game mechanic is working perfectly as intended.
    Playing since 9/11/2006

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,385

    Re: Foreclose on player homes already!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon8 View Post
    But not everyone can buy the house on 4 Roaring Road, can they?
    Each property looks different, has different square acreage, has varying placement of the outside walls. Some property has snow on the ground with light snow falling, others are near some bright blue crystals with rocky ground.
    Some are near a waterfall, while others are right next to the entrance.
    Owning a home is about status. It's about choosing YOUR home. The one that fits you. The one you can customize. I don't care if my neighborhood is a ghost town. I just want the house that I want.

    The deluxe house I want out of all 250+ housing instances Turbine says they have isn't available.
    Out of the 6 or so neighborhoods I can access that have deluxe housing available, in almost all of them the lot I want is locked due to non payment of upkeep.

    So...that's why I care.

    And another thing, if the big uproar is that players lose their stuff if the house is foreclosed, then think about this.
    Currently a house can be locked indefinitely, unlocked as soon as the owner logs in after 3 years and pays his fee not to exceed the price of the home.
    But if you abandon your house, and all your stuff goes into the escrow broker, you have 14 days to claim it or else it decays and is unrecoverable.

    Why? Why not foreclose and keep the stuff on the escrow broker Turbine? You're already wasting server space leaving all their **** displayed on the lot, wouldn't it be less space to just store it all as data only within an NPC? Compound that across every neighborhood, every server, every player.
    Think how much space you would save, while at the same time opening up lots to players that actively play.

    Makes sense to me.
    Some times in life there are things we want and can not have...
    Playing since 9/11/2006

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Doo doo doo, lookin' out my back door...
    Posts
    4,366

    Re: Foreclose on player homes already!!!

    Not sure this topic will get much traction. Ever since they changed the foreclosure policy there have been numerous threads raising ALL the issues raised in this thread.

    My guess is Turbine will re-visit housing at some point (might be a LONG time). They were stuck. How can they take away houses from Lifetime accounts if they are going to really honor the lifetime commitment. If they cannot take away houses from lifers, how would it be fair to do to monthly subscribers? And so on down the line.

    The compromise was to make the cost to re-activate long dead houses to be so much that if people did come back and want a house, they would abandon the one they owed on, and buy a new one. Trouble is the number who have not returned.

    F2P does raise some new issues. If I am F2P, play enough to buy a house, then decide not to ever come back, you have a dead house. Multiply by that by a few 100 per server and you have a lot of dead real estate.

    I cannot believe Turbine will just turn a blind eye and just create more Housing instances, but like I said, the change might be long in coming.
    Kinships: Fifth Star Vagabonds on Crickhollow (Dotswith); Random Access on Arkenstone (Dottiel)

  12. #37
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,888

    Re: Foreclose on player homes already!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon8 View Post
    But not everyone can buy the house on 4 Roaring Road, can they?
    To a degree, yes they can.

    As I stated in my other post, there was a particular deluxe house I wanted in the Bree homestead. Its located close to the vendors and most importantly it's back yard has a steam running past it with two large boulders just begging to be fished from. That home was taken in all the neighborhoods. So I simply waited until a new neighborhood opened up. Three opened at the same time so I chose the name I liked best and bought my virtual dream home.

    Here's a question in return. If Turbine stole the homes of every player who's stepped away from the game for six months, including lifetime members who were told they could do just that, could everyone buy that particular home you like? Of course not. Each address is finite. Whether Turbine repossesses homes or not, not everyone will get the exact house they want without waiting for new neighborhoods to open up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon8 View Post
    Why? Why not foreclose and keep the stuff on the escrow broker Turbine? You're already wasting server space leaving all their **** displayed on the lot, wouldn't it be less space to just store it all as data only within an NPC? Compound that across every neighborhood, every server, every player.
    Think how much space you would save, while at the same time opening up lots to players that actively play.

    IF Turbine placed not only all of a home's belongs but also the cost of the home and the cost of the chests into permanent escrow then I could live with that compromise. But I would place the expiration date at no less than one year. Many players do try out other games and come back. And others come back after long periods for other reasons. Lifetime members, especially, should be given a greater leeway if not be exempt. Part of the enticement for buying a lifetime membership was the luxury of being able to step away from the game for long periods of time and come back to our accounts just as we left them. To change that after shelling out all that money for lifetime accounts may not be criminal but it would certainly be wrong and earn Turbine a lot of animosity towards their company and any future games.
    Half of being clever is making certain you are not being stupid.

    Calabar:65 Hunter – Ullrick:65 Hunter – Farli:65 Minstrel – Raedan:65 Champion – Garrian:65 Captain – Karzack:65 Rune-Keeper

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Silverlode
    Posts
    1,248

    Re: Foreclose on player homes already!!!

    Turbine does need to address this sometime. A player/kinship that does pay its rent should have its house foreclosed. But loosing house and its contents is not going to encourage players to return. SO there should be a refund of the house price less 6 weeks of rent and all items ther were in the house place in escrow waiting for the player to return.

    I know in my neighborhood, more than half are closed for non-payment. I'd like to have some neighbors that where actually playing. And the number of required neighborhoods could be reduced.

    I took a hiatus from the game and my houses required to come out of hock, I would have much preferred having return haveing access to my items in escrow and bought new houses when I returned vs having to pay up to 80% of the house just to get my stuff out ot the chests. Plus that would have allow someone to buy my house while I was out.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000001111ac/01000/signature.png]Luteman[/charsig]

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,264

    Re: Foreclose on player homes already!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Raath View Post
    You are remembering incorrectly. They have never foreclosed the houses, because, as you mentioned, the lifetime subs.

    However, you certainly are correct that there's been much hue and cry about this since housing was introduced.
    You might want to go back and check the patch notes for the changes after housing was introduced.

    http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Relea...ok_13_Official

    When housing upkeep is overdue, instead of foreclosing on your personal or kinship house, we "lock" the house. While your house is locked, you are denied the benefits of home ownership, including entry, access to storage, decorations, travel skill, and vendor discounts. However, your house and all the items it contains will be held for you indefinitely. You can unlock your house at any time by paying a restoral fee via the housing maintenance UI.


    Prior to this, houses used to be TAKEN AWAY if you failed to pay your upkeep and were foreclosed on, lifetime sub or not, tossing all of your goods into escrow that also disappeared after ~2 weeks.

    Turbine changed this a few patches later to NEVER take away houses, only to lock them.
    Last edited by Stilgaard; Oct 01 2010 at 10:00 AM.
    [COLOR=#ffa500]0096 2251 2110 8105[/COLOR]

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    107

    Re: Foreclose on player homes already!!!

    Stil:

    I thought my memory was right on that one. Lots of people fell upon these forums raising the issue of the unfairness of foreclosure.

    Turbine listened and went to the system we have now.

    I guess from Turbine's perspective on this one, they cannot win!
    "Next the a battle lost, the saddest thing is a battle won." Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Central Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,732

    Re: Foreclose on player homes already!!!

    Situation: I take breaks from the game. Sometimes those breaks might be upwards of 6 months or more. I maintain my sub.

    Question: Why should I lose my house?

    Also, if you are going to start deleting other peoples houses, why not go ahead and delete their toons as well? Hey, they are using them right?

    I am always amazed at how others think they can poke their nose into what other own (or rent) simply because they selfishly WANT IT THEMSELVES. It makes no difference the reason as to why a house is current inactive. It belongs to someone else once purchased UNTIL the game shutsdown.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000000778e/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    9

    Re: Foreclose on player homes already!!!

    I think the main reason for keeping things in place is the idea that if a player does return after an extended absence, that everything they had would still be there. That is a valid reason, regardless of the reason that someone had to stop playing. I recently decided that I wanted to buy a house. I went into the neighborhood and looked over all the property locations and made a list of 4-5 in the order of preference. None of the existing neighborhoods had these houses available.

    My understanding is that when a particular style (standard, delux, kin) is completely sold out across all existing neighborhoods, that new ones will open to accommodate new buyers. I was prepared to wait for the property I wanted, and I also thought that by waiting for a new area, there would be a better chance that it would be populated by currently active players, so a win win situation.

    I ended up getting the house I wanted sooner than expected, when one night there was a discussion in chat from a few people that had come back to the game because of the f2p. 3 different people with 6 months or more of back rent on properties, all of them quickly realized it would be cheaper to let the house go and to purchase new than to pay what was owed. 2 of the 3 were the lot I was looking to buy. They opted not to buy right away, but went ahead and abandoned the existing houses.

    In the end, rather than pushing to inconvenience other players, have some patience and look at the options. I seriously doubt that life as we know it will stop because you have to wait for a house in a video game. If this is the biggest worry you have, then I hope we all end up with the same problem. The influx of new players is going to cause new neighborhoods to open more quickly. Sit back, take a deep breath and wait.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001f963e/01004/signature.png]Delairea[/charsig]

  18. #43

    Re: Foreclose on player homes already!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikivaup View Post
    I am always amazed at how others think they can poke their nose into what other own (or rent) simply because they selfishly WANT IT THEMSELVES. It makes no difference the reason as to why a house is current inactive. It belongs to someone else once purchased UNTIL the game shutsdown.
    QFT

    On the one hand, things stay as they are, and once in a while a few people whine about not getting exactly the house they want, or coming home to a "dead" neighborhood. On the other, Turbine introduces a system-wide change that can and probably will affect every player eventually (most people I know have taken months-long breaks from the game at some point). The screaming from the latter case is far louder than the former, so that's what Turbine chooses.

    I can't imagine how much it would suck for a person who, maybe a year ago or so, cancelled their sub to save money in this economy, and maybe was so unfortunate, they lost their real house. Then, LOTRO becomes Free-to-Play, and the guy thinks maybe he can have some nice free entertainment from this game again, so logs in. And finds he lost his fake home, too. Truly a case of insult to injury.
    [URL=http://my.lotro.com/kinship-brandywine-guild_of_ix/]Guild of IX[/URL] of Brandywine

  19. #44

    Re: Foreclose on player homes already!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Balrock View Post
    No hes not remembering incorrectly, I'm a lifetime member and founder and myself amd a few friends lost our homes and all of our stuff that had apparently gone into escrow for 2 weeks. Just because some of us have lifetime memberships does not mean we have to play 24/7.

    This had happened to too many people and Turbine changed it to what it is now.
    This is correct, players did used to lose their homes due to non-payment, and the uproar was deafening.

    I can sympathize with both sides, but there has to be a happy medium someplace. The number of barren neighborhoods from players who are never around - and many who never intend to come back - warrants, to me, another look at how this all might be handled. Give owners a credit for a new home if/when they return? Move all the abandoned homes into a separate neighborhood? I don't honestly know the answer, but there are abandoned homes in the neighborhood where our kin house is, and some of us would like to have those homes so we're all together. Seems pointless to have them sitting under foreclosure for years while folks who could actively use them have to find housing elsewhere.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,275

    Re: Foreclose on player homes already!!!

    Agree with OP. After a couple months of non-payment, put everything in escrow indefinitely INCLUDING a token that let's you turn it in to get a new home of the same size. Done.

  21. #46

    Re: Foreclose on player homes already!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikivaup View Post
    I am always amazed at how others think they can poke their nose into what other own (or rent) simply because they selfishly WANT IT THEMSELVES. It makes no difference the reason as to why a house is current inactive. It belongs to someone else once purchased UNTIL the game shutsdown.
    No offense, but this kinda made me chuckle. It's selfish to want a home that's abandoned but not selfish to want to keep a home even when you're not active in the game? They are both selfish and THAT'S OK! It's not wrong to want what you want. But there's a compromise somewhere that will satisfy both sides, yet Turbine doesn't seem interested in finding it .. and I only say that because I've seen and heard nothing from them on this issue since they rescinded the decision to take homes away for non-payment.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1

    Re: Foreclose on player homes already!!!

    actually, ppl complained not about losing their houses, but ALL the stuff inside since escrow only lasts for 14 days. so turbine's AWESOME solution was to simple never foreclose houses. yay. why not change the timer in escrow to unlimited?

    at the moment, most of the standard-houses are empty because everybody bought a luxury house, of which the most are locked. so more instances open (which means even MORE precious database load - remember that we won't get more hooks in the house because it would increase DB load?). not to mention the dead neighbourhoods. yay.

    It's just another fail at design. no way a kinship can get houses in a neighbourhood to at lease infuse SOME live into the dead neighbourhoods.
    Last edited by Fzzgrbl; Oct 01 2010 at 11:22 AM.

  23. #48

    Angry Re: Foreclose on player homes already!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Smorgheim View Post
    Calm down spaz.

    I'm simply saying that regardless of the reason (lol military) The game has a mechanic that is not working. What does being in the military have to do with it? Lot's of people stop playing for various reasons. Pulling the "but they served their country! derka deeeer!" card is pretty weird.
    You need to give a little respect to those who have served their country. I like myself am disabled due to serving my country are quite insulted. Don't besmirch those who did to make your point.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,319

    Re: Foreclose on player homes already!!!

    To OP /facepalm

  25. #50

    Re: Foreclose on player homes already!!!

    Some people seem to misunderstand the problem. Its not about wanting the abandoned home of another player, atleast thats not it for me since as others pointed out you can just wait for a new neighborhood to open. Its about making housing viable, and in a MMO that means to me there are other real people, lets call them neighbors in this case.

    Making sure the houses around you are owned by active player is the first step to viable housing, thats the reason i support it. I don't care what we have to give returning players to make them happy, refund the price, give them a new house furnished with their old stuff etc. I don't want to punish people, i want to improve the gameplay of those that are actively playing the game.

    Also the analogy with other peoples chars is plain wrong. An unused char doesn't bother an active player, even if he lies right next to you in the database. That inactive house next to mine though i see every day. And again, it wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't so many of them, and if their count wouldn't be growing further. Again, F2P magnifies the problem by several times, not only has the population seen a sharp increase, we also see more throughput in people trying and giving up the game in addition to basically forcing people to spend money(F2Pers). What exactly are they going to spend their gold on without access to the AH or Horses and with a big popup before level 20 telling them they can buy a house?

    Also im sorry if you never saw people in your neighborhood, i did. We had atleast 2 RP guilds in our neighborhood we interacted with regularly, and they had concerts and whatnot going on atleast once per week. Thats something im expecting to see more of btw if people get bothered with layers or F2P players disrupting their RP in the major cities.

    Also what people are talking about here are absolute minorities, most people abandoning the game are not serving their country, many other people are never going to come back because they married and stopped gaming or because they simply stopped playing MMOs. I played 8 MMOs or so, and let me tell you that about 6 of them have 0 chance of ever seeing me again. Those actual few that are really serving their country, or really unexpectedly come back after such a long time(for more than just trying out F2P), yeah im all for making it as easy as possible to get them back into the same type of home they had before, in the same location.

    But what im saying, and this is something everyone should be able to understand, is that current customers are more important than people who might or might not ever come back and might or might not actually care about the details of their home(i.e. which actual instance of the homestead they where in). You can't argue that housing is basically nothing but a glorified port and storage on one hand and then make getting transferred to some other(new) instance seem like the worst thing you could do to your players.

    The only difference between the instances are the people owning the houses in them, if thats a important factor than it should be obvious why we are arguing for this. Those that do not care about the other people in their neighborhood won't be affected, those that do will see an improvement. The current situation is just nasty for all involved that care about their neighborhood, even the returnee that finds his neighbors gone because they resettled in a new instance.

    As to Turbine im 90% sure they already have ideas on how to fix, probably alot better ones that what we came up with, but housing is just such a low priority its questioningly if we will ever see an change to it without threads like this where we show the devs we care about it.

    Edit: Sudden idea, how about making a new homestead instance type with permanent foreclosing? Put a * at the end of their name and explain it in a popup or somesuch before buying a house there, that way people that care about these things would just have to relocate on last time and everyone should be happy. Also it wouldn't affect any old customers, and people who decide to buy a house in the new system would know about the limitations in advance.
    Last edited by rocketeer8015; Oct 01 2010 at 11:40 AM.

 

 
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload