We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Foreclose on player homes already!!!

I don't get it.
    If you don't log in within 6 months, why should you get to keep your house? You left the game that long, I think it's fair to say your house should be available to other responsible players who actually pay their upkeep and regularly log into the game.

If you come back after 6 months to a year and you start complaining on the forums how your house was taken, you deserved it.
    The servers can only spawn so much space to store all the data.

Why should a house become a lifetime trophy when the player will not play for their entire lifetime?
    I mean really, at what point will that house become available? When the servers close down and LOTRO is finished?

Turbine please reconsider this.
    Last edited by Halcyon8; Sep 30 2010 at 09:58 PM.

Re: Foreclose on player homes already!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon8 View Post
    I don't get it.
    neither do I. what are you complaining aboot?

if their upkeep is paid, they keep their house. if is not, they foreclose. that's what that vendor is for, so you can get your stuff from a foreclosed house.

what's the problem?

So someone who gets called up on active duty for a year deserves to lose their house because they're unable to play at that time even though they play consistently when not on active duty?

And how is someone 'crying on the forums' about losing their home any different from those 'crying on the forums' about Turbine not foreclosing on homes?
    R.I.P. Big E

Quote Originally Posted by Xzim View Post

if their upkeep is paid, they keep their house. if is not, they foreclose. that's what that vendor is for, so you can get your stuff from a foreclosed house.

what's the problem?
    The problem is is that people that haven't played since houses were introduced still have a house sitting somewhere in a neighborhood that says "Closed due to failure to pay upkeep" and said house cannot be purchased by anyone else, so it sits there...empty...and will remain that way until Turbine fixes things or until they shut the servers down when (or if) we reach Mordor.

Based on Turbines lack of interest in doing anything with housing since they introduced it in 2007, I am leaning towards the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerridwen View Post
    So someone who gets called up on active duty for a year deserves to lose their house because they're unable to play at that time even though they play consistently when not on active duty?

And how is someone 'crying on the forums' about losing their home any different from those 'crying on the forums' about Turbine not foreclosing on homes?
    Perhaps Turbine should set something up where those that are in the military and are serving active duty overseas or something can call up and place a "hold" on their account until they return. That way, when they return, it will be like they never left.

But to hold up entire neighborhoods of housing just because 1% of them might be houses used by active military personnel is senseless.

YEAH! Active Duty! Last thing I want after coming home from getting shot at is to find my lord of the rings online house on 3 chestnut road has been taken by Teabaggins! I GOTTA HAVE MY PRIORITIES IN LIFE. YEAH, PATRIOTISM! AMERICA AND A1 SAUCE! LOL! FOOTBALL!

Quote Originally Posted by Xzim View Post

what's the problem?
    Actually, it doesn't. An unpaid house remains "locked" to the owner. IF/When they come back, they simply need to pay escrow and the house will open to them again. Regardless of whether they come back or not, the house is Not coming back to the market until They actually abandon it.
    [COLOR=red][/COLOR]Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Smorgheim View Post
    YEAH! Active Duty! Last thing I want after coming home from getting shot at is to find my lord of the rings online house on 3 chestnut road has been taken by Teabaggins! I GOTTA HAVE MY PRIORITIES IN LIFE. YEAH, PATRIOTISM! AMERICA AND A1 SAUCE! LOL! FOOTBALL!
    *shrug* Whether it makes sense or not, this is the... accepted reason for this mechanic. For what it's worth, we did have quite a few threads of people in the military that lost their IG homes...
    [COLOR=red][/COLOR]Retired.

You can mock what I said in your childish manner all you want but I've seen plenty of posts by returning service men and women thanking Turbine because everything was how they left it (with the exception of having to unlock the house). And what does America have to do with anything, every country has military folks doing their duties whether it's helping victims of natural disaster or going off to war. I'm not talking one country over another, I just made a blanket statement about what I've seen posted on these forums as recently as last month.

Elderban, thank you for being level-headed and actually offering up some logical discussion instead of mockery, and I like your idea. Another thing is for a player to make accommodations with a friend or friends to pay the house upkeep for them while they are away.

I understand both sides and only try to point out various arguments (arguments in the sense of debate, not fighting); it's a habit of mine. It's possible now that the game is F2P and they can see how many players with houses return that they may adjust how they deal with seemingly abandoned houses. I guess we have to wait and see.
    R.I.P. Big E

It's refreshing to see the forums slowly returning to very, very, -very- old arguments after the initial F2P flurry. It's like finding that cozy sweater.

FWIW, I agree with OP. Neighborhoods that were already lifeless are now creepily lifeless since the buildings can't be turned over to active players. Here's a thought. When enough houses in a neighborhood get locked, two or three of them should catch fire, ruffians should be pulling copper out of another few, and one lone guy should be peering out the window of another one, a la "Night of the Living Dead." I'd visit that neighborhood.
    Ic eom mare þonne þes middangeard.

You can mock what I said in your childish manner all you want but I've seen plenty of posts by returning service men and women thanking Turbine because everything was how they left it (with the exception of having to unlock the house). And what does America have to do with anything, every country has military folks doing their duties whether it's helping victims of natural disaster or going off to war. I'm not talking one country over another, I just made a blanket statement about what I've seen posted on these forums as recently as last month.

Elderban, thank you for being level-headed and actually offering up some logical discussion instead of mockery, and I like your idea. Another thing is for a player to make accommodations with a friend or friends to pay the house upkeep for them while they are away.

I understand both sides and only try to point out various arguments (arguments in the sense of debate, not fighting); it's a habit of mine. It's possible now that the game is F2P and they can see how many players with houses return that they may adjust how they deal with seemingly abandoned houses. I guess we have to wait and see.
    Calm down spaz.

I'm simply saying that regardless of the reason (lol military) The game has a mechanic that is not working. What does being in the military have to do with it? Lot's of people stop playing for various reasons. Pulling the "but they served their country! derka deeeer!" card is pretty weird.

All they need to do is add a auto pay feature. Any one that wants to keep there house while they are away just has to click the box, and money will automatically be taken from the character listed as house owner each pay period.

Once they add this add foreclosures back to houses.

Quote Originally Posted by aethelberht View Post
    It's refreshing to see the forums slowly returning to very, very, -very- old arguments after the initial F2P flurry. It's like finding that cozy sweater.

FWIW, I agree with OP. Neighborhoods that were already lifeless are now creepily lifeless since the buildings can't be turned over to active players. Here's a thought. When enough houses in a neighborhood get locked, two or three of them should catch fire, ruffians should be pulling copper out of another few, and one lone guy should be peering out the window of another one, a la "Night of the Living Dead." I'd visit that neighborhood.

Exactly. I was going to "rent" (you never own them, people) a house in a neighborhood that only had one available, so I thought it would an active one. Most houses were shutdown but claimed.

Calm down spaz.

I'm simply saying that regardless of the reason (lol military) The game has a mechanic that is not working. What does being in the military have to do with it? Lot's of people stop playing for various reasons. Pulling the "but they served their country! derka deeeer!" card is pretty weird.
    /sigh

Time to go into "Listen here young punk" mode

Clearly you weren't around when this decision was made. I was, as were many others. Fact is, there were a number of posts from military members complaining at losing their homes due to being on active duty. This was during the height of the Iraq conflict mind you, when going overseas for a "few months" could turn into "a few years". There were factions that disputed it then, and have done so since, but Turbine, at the time, chose to do it this way, primarily in honor of the duty the military was doing. I honestly believe if it hadn't been so many vocal military members, it may not have happened. But there it is, and we're probably stuck with it.

And seriously. Learn some respect for the military. It's your very freedom to post **** like that that they fight to protect.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000050b7f1/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Zeowyrm View Post

And seriously. Learn some respect for the military. It's your very freedom to post **** like that that they fight to protect.
    Yes, because we all know without the Iraq War the internet would have been shut down, and even more LOTRO houses would have been lost.

Go rant on the History Channel forums. This is about LOTRO.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickwg View Post
    All they need to do is add a auto pay feature. Any one that wants to keep there house while they are away just has to click the box, and money will automatically be taken from the character listed as house owner each pay period.

Once they add this add foreclosures back to houses.
    Now that's a nifty idea, I like it. I've taken various months-long breaks from the game and this would have been handy; though I was able to log in and pay, many others aren't so fortunate.
    R.I.P. Big E

Quote Originally Posted by Zeowyrm View Post
    There were factions that disputed it then, and have done so since, but Turbine, at the time, chose to do it this way, primarily in honor of the duty the military was doing.
    I think you are mistaken, sir. I've been around for quite a while on these boards, and while I can recall people using your talking points in these threads, I don't recall *ever* seeing Turbine saying they added the foreclosure/escrow functionality to honor our military. While it may do so as a matter of course, it was not A leading to B.

Quote Originally Posted by henry316 View Post
    I think you are mistaken, sir. I've been around for quite a while on these boards, and while I can recall people using your talking points in these threads, I don't recall *ever* seeing Turbine saying they added the foreclosure/escrow functionality to honor our military. While it may do so as a matter of course, it was not A leading to B.
    Fair enough, you are probably right. Sadly, those posts seem to be long gone, so there's no way to verify it. My main point ultimately being though, I think we're pretty well stuck with it, and it seemed it was mostly military asking for it. Or so it seemed. But, my memory ain't what she used to be
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000050b7f1/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

And just to clarify, since I'm the one who brought it up, I'm just using military active duty as one example of reasons people can't play for a certain period of time; and because I have seen threads of returning military personnel happy that their stuff wasn't taken completely away. What one person doesn't seem to comprehend is that this game is a fun escape used by many for many reasons, but that's not what this thread is about; it was just an example I chose.

There are many OTR drivers who also play LOTRO; some have laptops they can take with them to play while others do not. Of course, most OTR drivers shouldn't be gone for months on end but you never know. Some people have computer problems and are unable to log on until they can afford to get it fixed or replaced. There's a myriad of reasons someone may not be able to log in and they'd be upset to come back and see all the money (well, not quite all because you do get a bit of the money back) spent wasted.

So far the options for preservation I rather like are:

1. Working it out with a friend or friends to pay while you are away, which has it's own downside because it would be their money.
    2. Setting up an automatic deduction that can be toggled on or off so if you are going to be away, you turn it on and your own money is deducted.
    3. Turbine setting up some sort of option for service men and women (of ALL countries) so that if they are called up, they can still have their houses (locked or unlocked) when they return and want to play.
    R.I.P. Big E

Ha! Are you kidding me. I think military personnel have a few OTHER things on their mind other than whether their LotRO in game house is preserved. Give me a break. And I'm sure after they've watched their comrades being shot or blown up, they'll be quite devastated to learn that their LotRO house was foreclosed on, and now they need to get their things out of escrow and purchase a new one (which would probably be completely paid for and furnished by their friends and strangers in game to honor their service).

I agree that houses should be foreclosed on after a period of time. That one exceedingly TINY slice of military players that might have their houses foreclosed on is no reason to keep houses vacant and unused forever. Foreclose on the properties and put their items into escrow indefinitely until they return. Send E-mails out at 2 months prior, 1 month, 1 week, and then daily that their house is going to be foreclosed on if they don't log-in and pay upkeep. Give people the option out of game to simply log into their Turbine account and request an extension (not even pay upkeep, just click a button 'YEP I'm still here. I'm still interested. Please give me an automatic 6 month extension').

Housing neighborhoods FULL of absent owner properties is just stupid.
    [COLOR=Red][/COLOR]

As I remember, they use to foreclose.

There was a hue and cry about this. I do not remember if military service actually factored into the equasion--I do not think it did.

Again, as memory serves me, I think one arguement against foreclosure was that lifers (like me) contended that they should be able to come back after a break and have their stuff there.

Just go to another neighborhood. On the other hand, it is no nevermind to me.

But, who cares? There are plenty of houses.

Oh, and a personal aside, to no one in particular, mocking people who serve their nation, be that nation the US, the Brits, the Germans, whomever, makes one like like a 1234567788999000,

Just my 2 cents

101! Oh! and while I am at it...2RGJ!
    "Next the a battle lost, the saddest thing is a battle won." Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by Aolain View Post
    As I remember, they use to foreclose.

There was a hue and cry about this. I do not remember if military service actually factored into the equasion--I do not think it did.

Again, as memory serves me, I think one arguement against foreclosure was that lifers (like me) contended that they should be able to come back after a break and have their stuff there.
    You are remembering incorrectly. They have never foreclosed the houses, because, as you mentioned, the lifetime subs.

However, you certainly are correct that there's been much hue and cry about this since housing was introduced.

You know, there is another solution to this which might make things a little better, but still preserve the locked houses for their current owners.

NPCs.

From what I've seen, a lot of players complain that their neighborhoods are "dead", because they are filled with locked properties, so they seem like ghost towns. Well, one solution to that would be for NPCs to spawn at any house locked for an extended amount of time. These NPCs would just wander around the property, maybe sleep in a hammock or start a little garden there, and could be talked to briefly if approached (probably saying something to the effect of them being Caretakers for the property, or long-lost cousins of the owner). When the owner returns and unlocks the property, the NPCs disappear.

In this way, active players would be helped in two ways:

1) Their neighborhoods would have some activity, even if it is just NPCs for the most part, and thus not seem so barren.

2) If, while looking to buy a home, you see lots of spawned NPCs, you would have a clear indication that this neighborhood doesn't have many active players, or has none at all. that would give them a fair warning not to buy in that neighborhood, if they wanted to own a home in an active neighborhood.

I am completely against taking away locked homes from old players, and now that the game is F2P, those players could return at any time to unlock those houses, making the idea of just taking them away a really bad one. Turbine wants to entice the old players to come back, and taking away those player's old houses would not be very welcoming, now would it?

Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by BellusDuFenna View Post
    You know, there is another solution to this which might make things a little better, but still preserve the locked houses for their current owners.

NPCs.

From what I've seen, a lot of players complain that their neighborhoods are "dead", because they are filled with locked properties, so they seem like ghost towns. Well, one solution to that would be for NPCs to spawn at any house locked for an extended amount of time. These NPCs would just wander around the property, maybe sleep in a hammock or start a little garden there, and could be talked to briefly if approached (probably saying something to the effect of them being Caretakers for the property, or long-lost cousins of the owner). When the owner returns and unlocks the property, the NPCs disappear.
    Great idea, BellusDuFenna!

I'm on the 'I wish houses would actually foreclose' wagon, with restrictions.

The way I see it is, if you suddenly stop playing, and you're gone for an extended (6months+) period of time, your house gets foreclosed. Every item in that house goes into escrow, and escrow never gets deleted, so that nothing is lost.

But, perhaps this should only be for those that simply stop playing and abandon the game. Perhaps those that know they will be gone a long time (such as those in the military) can somehow 'mothball' their homes or set up an auto-pay system.

I really don't see how people can raise hell over losing their house if they don't play for, like, a year. If they quit, and walk away from the game, and don't play for a year or more...do they really have a huge attachment to that house, anyway? I'm not talking about people that have to quit or are unable to play for various reasons, I'm only talking about those that simply quit, and may or may not ever come back.

Neighborhoods are always going to be more or less empty. Overall, we don't spend much time in them, and what time we do spend, is spent either at the vendors (where we might indeed see someone) or in our own homes (where we will see no one unless we invited them in). So the whole 'empty neighborhoods' argument is a fallacy. But having SO MANY neighborhoods that are completely dead because not a single tenant is actually playing...makes it rather irritating to find a house to purchase.
    Last edited by Shaz; Oct 01 2010 at 12:23 AM.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast