We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

[Plugin]Lotro Maps

LotroMaps is currently a demo, or poof of concept if you will, showing the potential of a zone-based Google Maps style map plugin. Although there are serious plans to do whatever possible for this plugin to reach its potential, there are a couple of LotRO related limitations that could possibly reduce/eliminate it's feasibility in the eyes of some.

For that reason, I am releasing this as not only a preview, but to possibly gauge interest in the project - to see how many people believe the potential makes up for such drawbacks. If such interest is there, this project will move forward - perhaps influencing Turbine to address these limitations in the process.

Limitations

Due to LotRO's method of caching UI images - including those loaded via the API, every tile loaded will remain in memory.

Although the "load on demand" nature of a Google Maps style map certainly reduces the amount of tiles loaded, and under normal use - the amount of memory used should not be substantial, if you start browsing every tile, in both parchment and terrain modes, at the highest zoom level, you will have a noticeable increase in memory usage. Repeating that for multiple zones could result in running out of memory. Hopefully, at some point Turbine gives us the ability to clear this cache, but for now - you have been warned.

Download

LotroMaps can be downloaded from LotROInterface

Although I'd wait until the latest version is approved - as the older version is done with .tga images, complete with a 172MB download, and a 390MB unpacked size. The new one as you'll see is only 67.8MB (90MB unpacked) because it was done in high quality .jpg.

Installation

Simply extract the zip file to your Plugins folder

Use

After you're in the game, type the following in your chat window

/plugins load lotromaps

You will see a nearly transparent tab (similar to the chat window tabs) with the word "LotROMaps" going down the side. Clicking on this tab will cause the map to slide out, clicking again will return it to its original position

Everything else should be straight forward if you've ever used Google Maps before.

Known Issues

None.

Last edited by Digital_Utopia; Oct 01 2010 at 10:07 PM.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/wK9A7aa.png[/IMG]

[SIZE=1][B][COLOR=white]75[/COLOR][/B] Fourohfour | [B][COLOR=white]75[/COLOR][/B] Artemedis | [COLOR=Blue][B]60[/B][/COLOR] Whiskeytango Foxtrot | [B][COLOR=#00ca00]50[/COLOR][/B] Mistah Boombastic | [B][COLOR=#00ca00]56[/COLOR][/B] Appetizer | [B][COLOR=#a7a7a7]25[/COLOR][/B] Aggromi | [B][COLOR=blue]61[/COLOR][/B] Onepointtwentyone Gigawatts [/SIZE] [/CENTER]

Re: [Plugin]Lotro Maps

Awesome! Love it, thank you so much for this plugin. Not sure if I can wait for the newer version to be approved. I want this bad
    [center][COLOR=#00e0ed]WWHBD
    What Would Honey Badger Do[/center][/color][CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=cyan]____________________[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=cyan] |[COLOR=yellowgreen] [u]Sinea 65 Loremaster[/u][color=black]_[/color] [/COLOR]|[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][COLOR=cyan][/CENTER][CENTER][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]|[color=black].[/color][COLOR=yellowgreen][u]Tylwythteg 65 Hunter[/COLOR][/u]|[/FONT][/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][U][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]|[COLOR=yellowgreen]Windfola [/COLOR]|[/FONT][/SIZE][/U][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by RedDwarf View Post
    Awesome! Love it, thank you so much for this plugin. Not sure if I can wait for the newer version to be approved. I want this bad
    If I keep getting responses like yours, I'll definitely go through with it. lol

But first thing's first, Palantir has another update in the works, so if there is a lot of interest here, I'll start concentrating on this once that update is released.

[SIZE=1][B][COLOR=white]75[/COLOR][/B] Fourohfour | [B][COLOR=white]75[/COLOR][/B] Artemedis | [COLOR=Blue][B]60[/B][/COLOR] Whiskeytango Foxtrot | [B][COLOR=#00ca00]50[/COLOR][/B] Mistah Boombastic | [B][COLOR=#00ca00]56[/COLOR][/B] Appetizer | [B][COLOR=#a7a7a7]25[/COLOR][/B] Aggromi | [B][COLOR=blue]61[/COLOR][/B] Onepointtwentyone Gigawatts [/SIZE] [/CENTER]

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Digital_Utopia again.

This is great just so I can have a map handy without tabbing!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c2140000000006e1/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

"...damn you burglars with your endless bag of tricks and utility belts." -Orion

Please do continue development of the map plugin.
    Ujest - 115 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 89 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 49 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

Turbine, hire this guy. Brilliant idea, man. Get the backend stuff right and it could be an awesome tool.
    Arda Shrugged - Elendilstone & Landroval

The following is "Pie in the Sky" dreaming at this point, but some functionality that I would like to see with the mini-map or this map is the ability to set custom map markers that mimic the functionality of the quest guide. Doubt that its possible with the current resources, but it would be quite useful for cleaning up stray location deeds and general exploring.

Other than that though, yes, please continue developing this plugin.
    [CENTER][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. [/COLOR] [/CENTER]

Thumbs down Re: [Plugin]Lotro Maps

This is nice, when i was still actively playing I always wanted to be able to add notes to the map.

So next suggestions:
    - ability to add notes
    - ability to draw 'paths' ( optimal ore node path, paths to quests etc. ) with some functionality to show/hide paths + ability for easy loading them by dropping them in the plugin or settings folder (so it can be shared)
    - of course option to share these notes and paths with your other characters
    - add maps of the instances, this can then be used by raid leader or something do draw those paths which you can then load on your map to see what to do
    - for the above: ability to show the map fullscreen with an opacity option so it's overlay on the screen

- when location info is exposed: ability to draw a path by tracking the position

Good luck with making all the maps into .tga's make sure to buy enough coffee
    Last edited by Nekat; Sep 30 2010 at 04:57 PM.

I want to give a big thankyou for writing this plugin - not because I'll use it but because it validates that there are non-hacky use cases for loading large numbers of images.

The Un-named Kinmate
    LOTRO Utilities

Quote Originally Posted by SaintBass View Post
    The following is "Pie in the Sky" dreaming at this point, but some functionality that I would like to see with the mini-map or this map is the ability to set custom map markers that mimic the functionality of the quest guide. Doubt that its possible with the current resources, but it would be quite useful for cleaning up stray location deeds and general exploring.

Other than that though, yes, please continue developing this plugin.
    I've been throwing around ideas on how to handle both custom markers, as well as quest/POI markers - and even the ability to share such custom markers with others. Due to the limitations of the plugin system being a "closed" system, and thus no direct web access, the result won't be perfect - but I will work on making it close as possible to a simple copy/paste, except when more information is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekat View Post
    This is nice, when i was still actively playing I always wanted to be able to add notes to the map.

So next suggestions:
    - ability to add notes
    - ability to draw 'paths' ( optimal ore node path, paths to quests etc. ) with some functionality to show/hide paths + ability for easy loading them by dropping them in the plugin or settings folder (so it can be shared)
    - of course option to share these notes and paths with your other characters
    - add maps of the instances, this can then be used by raid leader or something do draw those paths which you can then load on your map to see what to do
    - for the above: ability to show the map fullscreen with an opacity option so it's overlay on the screen

- when location info is exposed: ability to draw a path by tracking the position

Good luck with making all the maps into .tga's make sure to buy enough coffee
    Sadly, no paths are possible quite yet - mainly because the LotRO API doesn't include a "Draw" class, but rectangular regions, and points should be possible - and sharing points could theoretically be done via the chat box.

I've decided to use jpg instead, as it seems to deliver acceptable quality - with much much smaller files.

I'm not sure how useful this will be for you, but it is perfectly possible to have the UI elements do the scaling and the windowing for you, so you can restrict yourself to having one single image for each map that you can zoom in on, and move a view port around on.

Consider the following code:

Code:
    s = 50;
    x = 0;
    y = 0;

view00 = Turbine.UI.Window();
    view00:SetSize(s,s);
    view00:SetPosition(0,0);
    view00:SetStretchMode(2);
    image00 = Turbine.UI.Control();
    image00:SetSize(1280,960);
    image00:SetBackground("moebius92/ImageViewer/BreeMap.jpg");
    image00:SetPosition(-x,-y);
    image00:SetParent(view00);
    image00:SetStretchMode(0);

view10 = Turbine.UI.Window();
    view10:SetSize(s,s);
    view10:SetPosition(s,0);
    view10:SetStretchMode(2);
    image10 = Turbine.UI.Control();
    image10:SetSize(1280,960);
    image10:SetBackground("moebius92/ImageViewer/BreeMap.jpg");
    image10:SetPosition(-(x+50),-y);
    image10:SetParent(view10);
    image10:SetStretchMode(0);

view01 = Turbine.UI.Window();
    view01:SetSize(s,s);
    view01:SetPosition(0,s);
    view01:SetStretchMode(2);
    image01 = Turbine.UI.Control();
    image01:SetSize(1280,960);
    image01:SetBackground("moebius92/ImageViewer/BreeMap.jpg");
    image01:SetPosition(-x,-(y+50));
    image01:SetParent(view01);
    image01:SetStretchMode(0);

view11 = Turbine.UI.Window();
    view11:SetSize(s,s);
    view11:SetPosition(s,s);
    view11:SetStretchMode(2);
    image11 = Turbine.UI.Control();
    image11:SetSize(1280,960);
    image11:SetBackground("moebius92/ImageViewer/BreeMap.jpg");
    image11:SetPosition(-(x+50),-(y+50));
    image11:SetParent(view11);
    image11:SetStretchMode(0);
    SetStretchMode(2) seems to grab a 50x50 chunk of whatever it would display and scale it based on the size of the window - so when s is set to 50, it does a 1:1 scaling. You can zoom out by decreasing s, and zoom in by increasing s.

SetStretchMode(0) seems to force the control to limit itself to the boundaries defined by its parent. So if you want to view a chunk of the image starting at coordinates x,y, you just move the image to position -x,-y, at which point 0,0 is at x,y, and you're viewing the chunk of the image you want.

After that, it would seem, all you have to do is tile enough views and images so that you have as large of an area as you want to cover - the number of views and images that you need would depend on your total window size and the scaling factor, of course. Your image moves around in blocks of 50, because the viewport is going to grab 50x50 chunks and then scale them.

You might pick up a memory savings, since you no longer have to store copies of the image/map at various levels of zoom, you get a bit more control over the zoom (but only a bit, since your scaling factor has to evenly divide your window size), and there's the ease of adding new images/maps in the sense that you no longer need to chunk up and zoom/unzoom the original image, you just make the original image available. (I honestly haven't poked around your code that much, so beyond the fact that you've got squares of map images in your resources directory, I'm not entirely positive what you're doing.)

Anyways, very interesting.

(Is there documentation for SetStretchMode? I had to do a lot of stabbing in the dark to get this to work.)

Quote Originally Posted by moebius92 View Post
    I'm not sure how useful this will be for you, but it is perfectly possible to have the UI elements do the scaling and the windowing for you, so you can restrict yourself to having one single image for each map that you can zoom in on, and move a view port around on.

Consider the following code:

SetStretchMode(2) seems to grab a 50x50 chunk of whatever it would display and scale it based on the size of the window - so when s is set to 50, it does a 1:1 scaling. You can zoom out by decreasing s, and zoom in by increasing s.

SetStretchMode(0) seems to force the control to limit itself to the boundaries defined by its parent. So if you want to view a chunk of the image starting at coordinates x,y, you just move the image to position -x,-y, at which point 0,0 is at x,y, and you're viewing the chunk of the image you want.

After that, it would seem, all you have to do is tile enough views and images so that you have as large of an area as you want to cover - the number of views and images that you need would depend on your total window size and the scaling factor, of course. Your image moves around in blocks of 50, because the viewport is going to grab 50x50 chunks and then scale them.

You might pick up a memory savings, since you no longer have to store copies of the image/map at various levels of zoom, you get a bit more control over the zoom (but only a bit, since your scaling factor has to evenly divide your window size), and there's the ease of adding new images/maps in the sense that you no longer need to chunk up and zoom/unzoom the original image, you just make the original image available. (I honestly haven't poked around your code that much, so beyond the fact that you've got squares of map images in your resources directory, I'm not entirely positive what you're doing.)

Anyways, very interesting.

(Is there documentation for SetStretchMode? I had to do a lot of stabbing in the dark to get this to work.)
    Okay, but resizing has its own problems attached to it. First of all, if the largest zoom's tiles were just automatically resized - that would mean the tiles themselves would have to be resized - leading to much more complex coding. Second of all, the quality of such scale would either be poor, or rescaling that much would cause resource intensive issues as well. After all, you would have to continue resizing every time the user zoomed - even if they've been at that zoom level for that map, for that area before.

On the other hand, skipping tiles period, would be even worse for memory - as instead of loading up 256x256 images on demand, you'd be loading up the entire 8192x6144 image at once. And in fact, you would be doing it twice per map. Once for the terrain, and once for the parchment.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fair idea - but not without drawbacks that are equal if not worse than the existing setup.

For the drawing of paths you can use a undocumented feature of Turbine.UI.Window. I couldn't figure out how it worked before but I did it just now, here's how it works:

window = Turbine.UI.Window();
    local rot = window:GetRotation(); --not: this will return invalid values when not initialized by yourself, can't use these values in SetRotation

returns a table: { x, y, z }

x rotates towards you, y rotates left to right, z rotates on the plane

Using the z ( x=0, y=0, z=angle) to rotate these windows on your canvas, you will be able to draw paths.
    So:
    local rot = { x = 0, y = 0, z=45 }
    window:SetRotation( rot );

The only drawback is that the hitboxes are NOT rotated but for usage of drawing paths that will be not a problem.

Here is a screenshot with z set to 45 degrees on a Turbine.UI.Lotro.Window:

Quote Originally Posted by Nekat View Post
    For the drawing of paths you can use a undocumented feature of Turbine.UI.Window. I couldn't figure out how it worked before but I did it just now, here's how it works:

window = Turbine.UI.Window();
    local rot = window:GetRotation(); --not: this will return invalid values when not initialized by yourself, can't use these values in SetRotation

returns a table: { x, y, z }

x rotates towards you, y rotates left to right, z rotates on the plane

Using the z ( x=0, y=0, z=angle) to rotate these windows on your canvas, you will be able to draw paths.
    So:
    local rot = { x = 0, y = 0, z=45 }
    window:SetRotation( rot );

The only drawback is that the hitboxes are NOT rotated but for usage of drawing paths that will be not a problem.

Here is a screenshot with z set to 45 degrees on a Turbine.UI.Lotro.Window:
    :O

Very, very cool find!

I'll certainly have to play around with this myself now.

But thanks a lot for that, that will certainly make lines very possible

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Utopia View Post
    :O

Very, very cool find!

I'll certainly have to play around with this myself now.

But thanks a lot for that, that will certainly make lines very possible
    Based on this find, is it possible to rotate the underlying jpg.-map-files?

I have no idea about programing in LUA, nor about programing in general, so excuse my half knowledge. But if this is possible and if LUA Plugins have the potential to track the "/loc-data" in real-time, why it shouldn't feasible to construct a "radar" similar to the original one? But with the difference that this radar rotates as the player does. The actual line of sight of the player is at least part of the "loc.-data".

Can you actually search using this map form? As in... enter coordinates, and the map will actually look for the coordinates and highlight them? Or even enter the name of what you're looking for to find it? EQ2 maps has this ability and it makes the map infinitely more useful than the one supplied by SOE. In fact, SOE is so impressed with EQ2maps, that it promotes its use on its own home page. Players can even report locations and maps themselves to add it. You should google it to see.

The map system in LOTRO is almost totally useless. Its one of the few things I actually hate about the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mircea12345 View Post
    Can you actually search using this map form? As in... enter coordinates, and the map will actually look for the coordinates and highlight them? Or even enter the name of what you're looking for to find it? EQ2 maps has this ability and it makes the map infinitely more useful than the one supplied by SOE. In fact, SOE is so impressed with EQ2maps, that it promotes its use on its own home page. Players can even report locations and maps themselves to add it. You should google it to see.

The map system in LOTRO is almost totally useless. Its one of the few things I actually hate about the game.
    Here's basically how it will work. Each map will have a configuration file with it that will define things like coord/dev coord (i.e. /loc) bounds, as well as the bounds of the map itself. So searching for a particular coordinate would just be a matter of searching through the appropriate bounds, and finding which map would contain those coords.

That being said - in game coords (i.e. 42.1W, 36.0S) are there chiefly for the benefit of the user. They will be displayed at the top of the map, and at individual points - but the map itself will mainly deal with dev coordinates. This is how you would add actual points, submit them, and even share them with other map users - as it allows the map to place a point exactly where those coordinates tell it to. In-game coords on the other hand, would be, at best, displayed as a rectangular region on the map, and may even require you to specify which map those coordinates are for. Once you walk into Moria, the in-game coordinate system starts over. This includes Lothlorien and Mirkwood as well. So if an in-game coordinate is contained in more than one map, you'll have to select which map you were intending.

Canberra, Australia (Asylum for the Cynically Insane)

I do like this, but how do I get a any map other than Lothlorien up?

Quote Originally Posted by Lichbane View Post
    I do like this, but how do I get a any map other than Lothlorien up?
    That's all there is for now. It's only meant to be a demonstration of a google maps style map within the LotRO API. Mainly to get an idea of whether or not anybody experiences any problems with it, and if people would actually find such a thing useful.

I have at least one major update to Palantir to go before I'll need more API, and once that update is released, I'll be starting work on adding more features, more maps, and of course more data.

Due to the scope of this project, I wanted to make sure that players would actually find a map of this type handy and useful, before I started setting up systems for submitting/flagging points, as well as doing the research to gather location data of various objects throughout the game.

After this next update of Palantir, I will start fleshing this project out - by adding more features, maps and of course points, as well as working on other ideas I've given here.

... I wanted to make sure that players would actually find a map of this type handy and useful, ...
    Hell Yes!!
    :-)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000001249c/signature.png]Feenary[/charsig]
    ~ [b][color=lightgrey]Feenicks[/color][/b], [color=lightgreen][size=-1][i]Captain[/i][/size][/color] [color=lightblue][i](< 35)[/i][/color] ~ [b][color=lightgrey]Feenorin[/color][/b], [color=lightgreen][i]Dwarf Hunter[/i][/color] [color=lightblue][i](< 20)[/i][/color]
    ~ [b][color=lightgrey]Feenary[/color][/b], [color=lightgreen][i]Minstrel[/i][/color] [color=lightblue][i](level 75)[/i][/color] ~ [b][color=lightgrey]Feenera[/color][/b], [color=lightgreen][i]Hobbit Burglar[/i][/color] [color=lightblue][i](< 25)[/i][/color]
    ~ [b][color=grey]Feen[/color][/b], [color=red][i]BlackArrow (Rank 5)[/i][/color] ~ [b][color=lightgrey]Phyrre[/color][/b], [color=lightgreen][i]Elf LoreMaster[/i][/color] [color=lightblue][i](mid 20's)[/i][/color]

Here's basically how it will work. Each map will have a configuration file with it that will define things like coord/dev coord (i.e. /loc) bounds, as well as the bounds of the map itself. So searching for a particular coordinate would just be a matter of searching through the appropriate bounds, and finding which map would contain those coords.

That being said - in game coords (i.e. 42.1W, 36.0S) are there chiefly for the benefit of the user. They will be displayed at the top of the map, and at individual points - but the map itself will mainly deal with dev coordinates. This is how you would add actual points, submit them, and even share them with other map users - as it allows the map to place a point exactly where those coordinates tell it to. In-game coords on the other hand, would be, at best, displayed as a rectangular region on the map, and may even require you to specify which map those coordinates are for. Once you walk into Moria, the in-game coordinate system starts over. This includes Lothlorien and Mirkwood as well. So if an in-game coordinate is contained in more than one map, you'll have to select which map you were intending.
    That is simply brilliant.

Will you have a player update function? Umm, I should explain. EQ2 maps allows the users to update the maps by submitting points of interest via a report function to the creator of the map. The map is then updated every day automatically.

If you have that, I'd love you for life.

I HATE the map in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mircea12345 View Post
    That is simply brilliant.

Will you have a player update function? Umm, I should explain. EQ2 maps allows the users to update the maps by submitting points of interest via a report function to the creator of the map. The map is then updated every day automatically.

If you have that, I'd love you for life.

I HATE the map in this game.
    There are plans for at least a couple of methods to do such a thing (in addition to flagging/correcting erroneous points). Sadly there's no really "slick" way of doing such, as there's no web communication within the API itself, so it will be in the form of a website and/or external app. It should also be possible to download the latest map data as well, although at this time, this setup is still being sketched out

I wish you much success in this endeavour. This has a great deal of promise.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Lysel View Post
    Based on this find, is it possible to rotate the underlying jpg.-map-files?

I have no idea about programing in LUA, nor about programing in general, so excuse my half knowledge. But if this is possible and if LUA Plugins have the potential to track the "/loc-data" in real-time, why it shouldn't feasible to construct a "radar" similar to the original one? But with the difference that this radar rotates as the player does. The actual line of sight of the player is at least part of the "loc.-data".
    First off sorry about seemingly skipping over your question.

But to answer your question - sure it's possible, and not only possible, but pretty easy as well. See, the map tiles are in a container so to speak - so instead of rotating the individual tiles, all that's needed is to rotate the container.

Everything in that container stays the same - as the tiles themselves aren't rotated, and I believe setting the center position would also be local as well.

Only one caveat however - there is a bit of "dead space" when it comes to the heading in /loc data (especially due-north) - so even when we get such data in the API, the rotation will have a bit of play in it.

First off sorry about seemingly skipping over your question.

But to answer your question - sure it's possible, and not only possible, but pretty easy as well. See, the map tiles are in a container so to speak - so instead of rotating the individual tiles, all that's needed is to rotate the container.

Everything in that container stays the same - as the tiles themselves aren't rotated, and I believe setting the center position would also be local as well.

Only one caveat however - there is a bit of "dead space" when it comes to the heading in /loc data (especially due-north) - so even when we get such data in the API, the rotation will have a bit of play in it.
    Very interesting and thanks for the reply. I also encourage you to proceed with your wonderful plugin, lot of potential here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast