We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Free Mounts?

Exclamation Free Mounts?

Hey, I'm a level 12 champion (yes i am still a noob at lotro) and i was wondering if their was a way to buy a horse without using turbine points? Instead I just want to buy one with my in-game coin. Is this possible?
    Thank You

Re: Free Mounts?

If you are VIP (a subscriber) you can do a quest at level 20 to get the riding skill.

If you are premium or free, you have to buy the riding skill in the store. A VIP who wants the riding skill before level 20 can also buy it in the store.

Once you have the riding skill you can buy mounts either in the game or in the store.

I have a free account so how much would it cost and what level must I be? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ana0005 View Post
    I have a free account so how much would it cost and what level must I be? Thanks
    I believe it is level 5. Cost no idea. Turbine did not implement a show all in live. You can only see the items that are vailable for purchase by that character. The store icon is everywhere you are in game. Open the store up and look.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Actually, yes you can! At level 20, you can purchase a mount for about 200 Silver Coins. At 35, you can also purchase an even faster mount for 4 Gold, and 200 Silver coins. Unfortunately, for the Free to Play members, you may only carry a maximum of 3 Gold. If you are a free to play member, take my advice: Become a VIP member. You'll absolutely love it.

Mith

How much does it cost to become a VIP?

best deal is $30 for a three month sub.

How much does it cost to become a VIP?
    $15 a month

Actually, from what I have seen a Free account cannot get the $30 for 3 month plan. It's more like $42 for 3 months.

But if you get the Moria retail (Amazon, Gamestop) for $9.99 and use that to upgrade, you get 30 days VIP, all Moria content, 2 more character slots, 2 new classes, and other perks. From that retail upgraded account you can then get the $29.99/3 month plan.

As for the horses, free or premium accounts can ONLY get the riding skill in the store, and its 295 TP per character, and mounts cost 500s and up

VIP can get the skill for free via a quest at level 20. the 200s starter horse is slow and worthless.
    Last edited by Mulch2010; Sep 22 2010 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mumurel View Post
    Actually, yes you can! At level 20, you can purchase a mount for about 200 Silver Coins. At 35, you can also purchase an even faster mount for 4 Gold, and 200 Silver coins. Unfortunately, for the Free to Play members, you may only carry a maximum of 3 Gold. If you are a free to play member, take my advice: Become a VIP member. You'll absolutely love it.

Mith

Huh? I was under the impression those days are over. at level 20 you can buy the fastest horse for 500 silver now.

$30 for three months was a sale, and it has ended. If you have one of those deals, you can continue it, but for new subscribers, the pricing right now is

12-Months - $143.40 ($11.95/month - Save 20%)
    6-Months - $77.70 ($12.95/month - Save 13%)
    3-Months - $41.85 ($13.95/month - Save 7%)
    Monthly - $14.99

Mith
    This is mostly false.

After you get the Novice trait (finish the intro instance), as a VIP, you can purchase a slow mount for 200s.

At level 20 (again, as a VIP) you can do the race around Hengstacer farm quest to get the riding skill and then buy a fast mount for 500s.

And F2P members can only have 2g, not 3.

Quote Originally Posted by ExecutionTherapy View Post
    $30 for three months was a sale, and it has ended. If you have one of those deals, you can continue it, but for new subscribers, the pricing right now is

12-Months - $143.40 ($11.95/month - Save 20%)
    6-Months - $77.70 ($12.95/month - Save 13%)
    3-Months - $41.85 ($13.95/month - Save 7%)
    Monthly - $14.99
    I thought this as well but I just upgraded my F2P account with the Moria CE, and the above price list, which was my only option previously, was changed to the cheaper 29.99/3 month and other 9.99 a month multi month plans after I upgraded. Yet another reason why the best deal for going VIP is to get the retail Moria package.

Quote Originally Posted by Cithryth View Post
    This is mostly false.

After you get the Novice trait (finish the intro instance), as a VIP, you can purchase a slow mount for 200s.

At level 20 (again, as a VIP) you can do the race around Hengstacer farm quest to get the riding skill and then buy a fast mount for 500s.

And F2P members can only have 2g, not 3.
    I might add that a F2P player can buy that same horse at level 20 for 500s. The only difference is he cannot do the quest for the skill a F2P player has to buy that skill via the store.

Mith
    This is no longer true. The riding system has been changed with F2P. At level 20, a VIP can do a quest at the Horse Farm which will give them the riding skill. (This is the quest that used to require level 35. It has been changed to just include the horse race. The delivery part has been removed.) The price of the four standard horses has been lowered to 500sp. The slow horse is still available. I don't think any of the prices for reputation horses have been changed.

The riding skill can be bought from the store for 195 TPs. This is the ONLY way a premium or free player can get the riding skill. If a VIP wants the riding skill before level 20, it can be purchased in the store. The minimum level for the riding skill is 5 and I think you need to have the novice trait, which means you can't buy it until you are out of the intro area.

Once you have the riding skill, you can ride any of the horses except maybe the slow horse. There was a post in the forums saying that you had to be VIP to use the slow horse but I'm not sure if this is true. The standard horses are purchased at the horse farm or in the store. You can also purchase a goat in the store, normally not available until you get to Moria.

The subscription price to become a VIP is $15/month. Buying multi-month subscriptions is less, though the $10/month is apparently not currently available to new subscribers (according to posts in the forum).

Riding skill is now 295 TP, not 195 as claimed above.

...and the 9.99 a month plans are apparently still available after you have upgraded with the retail Moria, at least the CE, as I just did it today. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with the standard Moria as well. This currently seems to be the best deal for a subscription as the prices on game cards have skyrocketed since the F2P launch. (from $9.15 to 18.99 for a 60 day card, plus shipping. Glad I bought 4 of them back before F2P started.)
    Last edited by Mulch2010; Sep 22 2010 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulch2010 View Post
    I thought this as well but I just upgraded my F2P account with the Moria CE, and the above price list, which was my only option previously, was changed to the cheaper 29.99/3 month and other 9.99 a month multi month plans after I upgraded. Yet another reason why the best deal for going VIP is to get the retail Moria package.

Cool, thanks for the info. I have a retail non-CE MoM on my account, and also the $30/3mo deal. Hopefully non-CEs come with this pricing, too, since I recently bought a second for a gift. It will be nice if she can also get that subscription deal. I won't know for a couple weeks.

Still more evidence of how massively confused people are about this. They should put all the facts at the top of the mounts tab panel, since there is a lot of unused space there generally anyway. Then when people ask, just direct them to that tab for clear, official instructions on what to do, when, and for how much.

THANKS everyone for the replies really appreciated. So to sum things up, Beacause i am a F2P member, I can only get a slow horse at lvl 20, and if i wanted a faster one i need to use turbine points to buy the riding skill or whatever? Am I right?

Hey, I'm a level 12 champion (yes i am still a noob at lotro) and i was wondering if their was a way to buy a horse without using turbine points? Instead I just want to buy one with my in-game coin. Is this possible?
    Thank You
    There's really no reason to spend money to buy Turbine Points to buy the riding skill. There are more than enough free Turbine Points you can earn by completing the deeds in your deed log. The riding skill will cost 295 Turbine Points in the LOTRO store. You can then buy a mount for 500 silver. All without spending anything.

THANKS everyone for the replies really appreciated. So to sum things up, Beacause i am a F2P member, I can only get a slow horse at lvl 20, and if i wanted a faster one i need to use turbine points to buy the riding skill or whatever? Am I right?
    No. As a free member your only option is to buy the riding skill from the store.

The slow horse doesn't require the riding skill but is only available to VIPs. It's for VIPs who want a horse before level 20 but do not want to buy the riding skill in the store. At level 20 they can get the riding skill in game through a quest. Before level 20, they are stuck with the slow horse unless they buy the skill from the store.

The fast horse is available to anyone who has the riding skill. It can be bought from Hengstacer's Farm or from the store.

So the options are as follows:

VIP: Below level 20: Can buy the slow horse from the farm OR can buy the riding skill in the store and then use the faster horses. At level 20+: Can get the riding skill through a quest at the farm and then use the faster horses.

Premium or VIP: Must buy the riding skill from the store and can then use the fast horses.

The absolute minimum is level 5 and the novice trait. This should be everyone out of the intro areas.

Angry Re: Free Mounts?

FML why would you advertise the game as F2P if you have to pay to unlock so many things?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by VPQRDE View Post
    Still more evidence of how massively confused people are about this. They should put all the facts at the top of the mounts tab panel, since there is a lot of unused space there generally anyway. Then when people ask, just direct them to that tab for clear, official instructions on what to do, when, and for how much.
    If you go to Hengstacer's Farm and speak with Eogar, he has this info on his menu, in FAQ form, even.

The riding skill cost me 195 TP, this morning on my new toon. VIP account. Didnt feel like waiting to level 20 to do the riding quest. Slow horse is glue.
    'Gott weiss ich will kein Engel sein'
    the Ministry

FML why would you advertise the game as F2P if you have to pay to unlock so many things?!?!?!?!
    Because the end goal is to get people to either A) Spend money in the Turbine Store or B) Subscribe. Remember that this has been a sub only game up until the F2P launch - 3 years of history as a sub only game, they aren't about to give away everything on a silver platter to new folks and hope they spend money on cosmetics.

Free 2 Play is a misnomer, it is more of a Freemium subscription option rather than a migration of the game to Free Play. Terms are going to have to evolve to catch up with the times, Free 2 Play is still associated with games that are 100% free but based around MT shop model rather than having Free as a subscription option.
    [B][I]Back after a long hiatus[/I][/B]
    Founding Lifetime Member/LotRO Beta Tester - Still love the game

6 Long Street, Bree-land Homesteads, Landroval, open to all

Again, you never have to spend a dime with LOTRO and unlock everything you need from Turbine Points earned in-game by doing deeds and special quests. Casually doing deeds while leveling may net you roughly 200 Turbine Points up to level 20 (my friend is F2P and has this from questing with me).

You have two character slots, so do deeds on both. Do ALL of the deeds. And if you're running short, feel free to start characters on other servers to grind a little for points. It's not that hard to do. The point (no pun intended) is to unlock everything that's crippling as a F2P player such as bag space, gold cap limit, and more importantly: content areas. Turbine Points available from playing in-game is MORE than enough to unlock what you need. The Turbine store is there to make money from the impatient, compulsive, and/or naive.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000000b7f6a/01008/signature.png]Cipheron[/charsig]
    [FONT=Courier New] [COLOR=Green]┌────────────────────[/COLOR][COLOR=Green]─────────────────────[/COLOR][COLOR=Green]─────────────────────[/COLOR][COLOR=Green]────────────────────┐[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Green]│[/COLOR] [URL="http://redsquadron.org"][COLOR=#b06060][U][B]Crimson Vanguard[/B][/U][/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#b06060] successor on Landroval [/COLOR][COLOR=#1c1c1c]........................................[/COLOR][COLOR=Green]│[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Green]├────────────────────[/COLOR][COLOR=Green]─────────────────────[/COLOR][COLOR=Green]─────────────────────[/COLOR][COLOR=Green]────────────────────┤[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Green]│[/COLOR][COLOR=Gray] Cipheron: [COLOR=#1c1c1c].[/COLOR]60 Lore-master, SM Historian [/COLOR] [COLOR=#1c1c1c].[/COLOR][COLOR=Gray] Ciphel: [COLOR=#1c1c1c]......[/COLOR]21 Minstrel, Explorer [/COLOR][COLOR=#1c1c1c]...[/COLOR][COLOR=Green]│[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Green]│[/COLOR][COLOR=Gray] Ciphariel: 53 Champion, SM Explorer [/COLOR] [COLOR=#1c1c1c].....[/COLOR][COLOR=Gray] Ciphoin: [COLOR=#1c1c1c].....[/COLOR]21 Runekeeper, Historian [/COLOR][COLOR=Green]│[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Green]│[/COLOR][COLOR=Gray] Ciph: [COLOR=#1c1c1c].....[/COLOR]44 Captain, Woodsman [/COLOR] [COLOR=#1c1c1c].........[/COLOR][COLOR=Gray] Extrabank: [COLOR=#1c1c1c]...[/COLOR]02 (mule) [/COLOR][COLOR=#1c1c1c]...............[/COLOR][COLOR=Green]│[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Green]│[/COLOR][COLOR=Gray] Ciphorin: [COLOR=#1c1c1c].[/COLOR]24 Guardian, Armourer [/COLOR] [COLOR=#1c1c1c]........[/COLOR][COLOR=Gray] Extrastorage: 02 (mule) [/COLOR][COLOR=#1c1c1c]...............[/COLOR][COLOR=Green]│[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Green]│[/COLOR][COLOR=Gray] Ciphara: [COLOR=#1c1c1c]..[/COLOR]23 Burglar, SM Tinker [/COLOR] [COLOR=#1c1c1c]...............................................[/COLOR][COLOR=Green]│[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Green]│[/COLOR][COLOR=#1c1c1c]...........................[/COLOR][COLOR=#1c1c1c]............................[/COLOR][COLOR=#1c1c1c]...........................[/COLOR][COLOR=Green]│[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Green]│[/COLOR][COLOR=#2a2a2a]▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓[/COLOR][COLOR=#2a2a2a]▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓[/COLOR][COLOR=#2a2a2a]▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓[/COLOR][COLOR=#2a2a2a]▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓[/COLOR][COLOR=Green]│[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Green]└────────────────────[/COLOR][COLOR=Green]─────────────────────[/COLOR][COLOR=Green]─────────────────────[/COLOR][COLOR=Green]────────────────────┘[/COLOR][/FONT]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast