We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Is tanking with a Guardian fun in LOTRO?

I have to be honest....the only game I have ever tanked in was WoW. I played a Warrior and Pally tank and really enjoyed it. Anyway, I just strated a Guardian and I'm a total noob to this game.

I'm just curious if tanking is fun in this game and how difficult tanking is with a Guardian?

Thanks.

Re: Is tanking with a Guardian fun in LOTRO?

Nah.. playing a Guard in LotRO sucks. We all just hang around here to gripe, moan, and try to be noticed. Oh sorry, I thought this was the Burg forum

Yes, it's fun. It's also slightly 'reactive' in nature, so your preferences and style would need consideration. In terms of difficulty, the Guard is the easiest thing to tank with, in that your tools are arguably the best fit (Wardens have their pro/cons too) for any situation. Not that they are easy to play. It takes skill like anything else.

As for the game, it's fun. Ultimately it would be a fallacy to state there's no downsides, but if you can live with them, then you enjoy it.
    Last edited by ArcticAurora; Sep 21 2010 at 05:17 PM.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#C2C2A3][B]ArcticAurora [/B][COLOR=#999966]95 S/B Guard[/COLOR] [COLOR=#ffffff][B]//[/B][/COLOR] [B]Pavello[/B] [COLOR=#999966]95 OP Guard[/COLOR] [COLOR=#ffffff][B]//[/B][/COLOR] [B]Canadian[/B] [COLOR=#999966]95 Capt[/COLOR] ... [SIZE=1]et alts[/SIZE] [/COLOR]
    [B][SIZE=2][COLOR=#C2C2A3]2013 Player Councillor[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [B]//[/B] [SIZE=2][COLOR=#C2C2A3]Rich people would rebuild the Bridge of Khazad-Dûm. Wealthy players fill the great chasm with gold.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [IMG]http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq163/dsrtfx207/rich_zps70199bf0.jpg[/IMG]
    [/CENTER]

Tanking as a Guard is a lot more fun than tanking as a Rune Keeper.
    Therina - Hobbit Guard Rongo - Hobbit Warden
    Frood - Man Minstrel Garmun - Man Captain
    Zorosi - Dwarf Champ Froodaroon - Elf Hunter
    Southern Defenders - Arkenstone (formerly Elendilmir)

Personally I love how they made the guardian have the desire to get hit (more attacks aimed at him means more parry/block chances means more reactive attacks).

I have both a guard and a warden in the high 50s low 60s range, they are both fun in their own way. Guard is more along the lines of grab agro and spam agro abilities to keep things off your healer, maybe challenge if things go bad. Warden is more, 'ok, in THIS fight I will need to open with WC, then do this, then this, .... ok, got my plan lets fight!'
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000001dbab/01001/signature.png]Fettorin[/charsig]
    Courage is of no value unless accompanied by justice; yet if all men became just, there would be no need for courage. [B]- Agesilaus the Second[/B]

Guardians are lots of fun to tank with. While they have a number of force taunt abilities, building threat is more interesting, challenging, and involved in this game than in others. You won't press one button and have aggro for the whole fight. From what I have heard, it is much harder than tanking in wow, so you should be aware of that. At least get to 20 and give the great barrows a shot; you don't have many of your abilities at that point, but finding a group should be easier now and you will at least get some sense of how tanking mechanics work (okay, not really... but still try it).
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820700000012ff43/01008/signature.png]Amthal[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by OhNooze View Post
    I have to be honest....the only game I have ever tanked in was WoW. I played a Warrior and Pally tank and really enjoyed it. Anyway, I just strated a Guardian and I'm a total noob to this game.

I'm just curious if tanking is fun in this game and how difficult tanking is with a Guardian?

Thanks.

Overall, if you enjoyed the warrior, you will probably enjoy the guard. While the mechanics aren't the same, the idea is. You always want to have something hitting you. There are more reactionals, but it is enjoyable. However, while tanking in this game isn't "difficult", it can take more effort from not only you but your group. Threat is a group effort, no threat meters to tell you when to slow down. The best thing to do until you get comfy tanking is, when you mess up blame the champion, honestly it's probably their fault anyway.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820700000012ed2b/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Can't speak on WoW as I only played it for about 4 months and not as a Tank but...

Is tanking (as a Guard, or other wise) in LOTRO fun? I have to say No, at least not unless you're either at cap, or are playing with equal (or close to) level groups (which usually happens more often at Cap). Other wise, at least from experience having played a Guard on and off since Launch, you find yourself in stuff that you're either higher or lower than other people in the group, at which point you're either standing around wondering what you're supposed to be doing as a tank, or just doing DPS as much as you can.

Aggro mechanics in the game, coupled with no-level restrictions (at least no upper cap) in most situations mean you could be tanking for another player who's 10 levels above you and there's very little you can do to tank for them (not to mention the fact that they'll probably be better off tanking if the mobs are on Your level - which means they're grey to that player).

Edit: And just to be clear:
    1. Not saying Guard is Not fun. It's one of the best classes I have, IMO.
    2. Not saying Tanking as a Guard is Not fun, over all. It's just that the combination stated above limits your... experience in the game.
    Last edited by JeanCarlo; Sep 21 2010 at 07:28 PM.
    [COLOR=red][/COLOR]Retired.

LM bears are the best tanks. Everyone knows you can't have fun unless you're the best.

./End discussion.
    GUARDIANS CANNOT DPS!

I am thinking tanking with a Guardian is a blast, honestly. I wander around Middle-Earth traited for 1H weapon and shield, exploring. I can go into places and do quests solo that a lot of other classes seem to think you can't solo at a given level. And often when I'm heading into someplace really genuinely stupidly dangerous, there is another soloer or maybe a duo who seem genuinely surprised to see a little fat hobbit lost "out here", and we team up and I'm ready to tank the boss mob up the valley.

I forget what level i was, but I'd just headed into SW Angmar to do a couple drake quests based out of Esteldin, including killing "the drake Matron", and I was getting lost in the little coves all up among the ridges, when I ran across a hunter shooting drakes. I explained what I was looking for, and he pointed me the way, then followed me up there, going, "You know, this isn't really a solo mob, you're likely to just die, are you sure you can get out?" and other expressions of concern. Being the hobbit I am, I was happy to chat, and when we got there, I was like, "whew she's a big one". The elf was like, "you're not gonna engage that, are you?" and I was like, "oh I can tank it, but I don't know if I have the dps to kill it before I run out of steam", so we grouped after I told him to run if I was gonna go down, and we blew her away.

The point being that you're in a great position to meet people and engage in spontaneous fun.

The big downside, if this is a downside, is that your dps isn't that great as a guardian. Adding *anyone* to your hunting, even a burglar who is 35 when you're 45 (for example), vastly increases your kill rate. The fun part of that is that the 35 burglar really really feels safe standing next to a guardian 10 levels above him when all the mobs are red or purple to him. I'll be killing in an area and killing just a few mobs a minute, and some DPS type will come in and be killing at a much higher rate per minute. If we group up it's great, but in those rare occurrences where they're not interested, it reminds me of how plodding it may seem to others.

All that being said, if you want to be a tank, but being a Guardian just isn't suitable to your temperament, then being a Warden is a real adrenaline rush. It's very exciting, all the time, but I don't know if I could be a Warden all day, every day. Otoh, I enjoy being a Guardian 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnower View Post
    I am thinking tanking with a Guardian is a blast, honestly. I wander around Middle-Earth traited for 1H weapon and shield, exploring. I can go into places and do quests solo that a lot of other classes seem to think you can't solo at a given level. And often when I'm heading into someplace really genuinely stupidly dangerous, there is another soloer or maybe a duo who seem genuinely surprised to see a little fat hobbit lost "out here", and we team up and I'm ready to tank the boss mob up the valley.

I forget what level i was, but I'd just headed into SW Angmar to do a couple drake quests based out of Esteldin, including killing "the drake Matron", and I was getting lost in the little coves all up among the ridges, when I ran across a hunter shooting drakes. I explained what I was looking for, and he pointed me the way, then followed me up there, going, "You know, this isn't really a solo mob, you're likely to just die, are you sure you can get out?" and other expressions of concern. Being the hobbit I am, I was happy to chat, and when we got there, I was like, "whew she's a big one". The elf was like, "you're not gonna engage that, are you?" and I was like, "oh I can tank it, but I don't know if I have the dps to kill it before I run out of steam", so we grouped after I told him to run if I was gonna go down, and we blew her away.

The point being that you're in a great position to meet people and engage in spontaneous fun.

The big downside, if this is a downside, is that your dps isn't that great as a guardian. Adding *anyone* to your hunting, even a burglar who is 35 when you're 45 (for example), vastly increases your kill rate. The fun part of that is that the 35 burglar really really feels safe standing next to a guardian 10 levels above him when all the mobs are red or purple to him. I'll be killing in an area and killing just a few mobs a minute, and some DPS type will come in and be killing at a much higher rate per minute. If we group up it's great, but in those rare occurrences where they're not interested, it reminds me of how plodding it may seem to others.

All that being said, if you want to be a tank, but being a Guardian just isn't suitable to your temperament, then being a Warden is a real adrenaline rush. It's very exciting, all the time, but I don't know if I could be a Warden all day, every day. Otoh, I enjoy being a Guardian 24/7.

Ditto what this guy says but with a Dwarf. Because we Dwarves are awesomer than hobbits. Although, those 25 elites in southwest ND, dont mess with them. Even 7 levels above (my guard is 32) in epic crafted and skirmish stuff I couldnt solo the last part of the gunpower quest. I havent ever ran into something I couldnt solo like this. Even the trees in Old Forest were killable at even levels (it was hard and took a long time but I got them!)

+1 rep to Winnower, for just the damned fine attitude. It's refreshing!

I think the whole idea of tanking itself is fun. I played a lot of EQ back in the day and tanked a bunch of fun stuff. This being the second MMO I played, I decided to go for the Guardian, and I've never really turned back. I did have a time where I was a pretty ******, soloed too much guard. thanks for the kind folks here, I was able to really improve my skill usage and be much less of a terrible tank.

Is is fun? I think so, I like having the reactives, stances, and being awesome. I love using my skills and different weapons to solo small fellowship quests. I love being able to go into group, not suck (thanks y'all), and keep everyone safe and live. It's a mind set that you either have, or you don't.

Try it out, and do what someone said before. Get to 20ish, and tank some Barrows. If you love the thrill, keep it going. If not, try something else.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/012030000000baa5a/01001/signature.png]Filorin[/charsig]

Tanking period is fun in LOTRO. I've done it as a warden, guard, captain, and champ -- on varying levels of experience and performance -- and not once did I not enjoy it
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/012030000000be8eb/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [color=yellow][I]There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too wierd to live, but too rare to die.[/I][/color] ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Crissaegrim View Post
    +1 rep to Winnower, for just the damned fine attitude. It's refreshing!
    Ditto.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/05202000000242ea2/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Tanking in the early levels can be difficult, as your tanking skills trickle in slowly. You don't get a force taunt until the mid-20s, and you don't get Engage (aggro catch up) until the 40s as I recall. Be sure to trait Harasser as soon as you can -- another AoE (with +threat) helps a lot when you don't have many other tools for keeping the mobs on you. Still, tanking before the 40s can be a challenge depending on your group.

Once you get to 50+ the tanking is pretty easy for Guards, IMO. You have a wide array of aggro generating taunts and shouts, you can force taunt and/or aggro catch up if your DPS goes nuts, and you have enough survival skills to keep you alive for a surprisingly long time if things go south.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000043a7c/01007/signature.png]Morthane[/charsig]

Tell us your idea of fun, and we can seriously talk.

That said, if you think it's fun to jump in front of the biggest mob you can find and survive with your piddly 10k while your buddies whittle down his 500k, yes. As for the actual mechanics of tanking, it's a pretty complex and touchy beast. It's harder than tanking in That Other Game, and it requires some amount of skill and thought, though good instincts will get you most of the way.