We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

How should we report Lua API bugs? (not bugs with a specific plugin)

Is there a particular way we should report API or documentation bugs? I'm not talking about bugs in specific plugins.

I assume we should be using the form at http://forums.lotro.com/new_bug.php

Maybe some special keyword we put in the title of the bug report that gets it directed to the right team? So far, I've been using the "Other" category and put "LUA SCRIPTING" in big scary letters at the start of the title.

Or maybe it's preferable to just post in this forum here so that other authors can review it and come to a consensus on whether it's a bug. I know I reported at least one issue during beta that turned out not to be a bug, and I feel bad for probably taking 5 or 10 minutes of some developer's time before tossing it out.

Speaking of which, is anyone on Turbine's QA team involved with this project? (I'm just curious; I don't mean to insinuate any lack of quality.) Or does all of the testing take place between the developers, authors, and players?

Re: How should we report Lua API bugs? (not bugs with a specific plugin)

I believe Lua is considered a Beta feature with no official support so I doubt a regular bug report will go very far. Might be better to use this Forum category. The Dev's whose baby this has been will likely keep an interested eye on this category.
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]"You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

[/FONT]

Narrel is offline The Lord of the Rings Online Team
    Turbine, Inc.

The short answer is that you should continue using the in-game bug report tool (or using that link you mentioned outside the game - they both go to the same place) for any bugs with the Lua API or bugs with the documentation mismatching what you can actually do. We do have our eyes on the bug queue from there so I can assure you that if you report it through there, we will eventually see it. Framing the bug with "Lua API bug" or "Lua Documentation bug" would certainly help make sure it gets to the right people, too. That is the best way to report it for now but eventually we will also have a sub-forum in here specifically for any issues found in the API or documentation.
    Last edited by Narrel; Sep 13 2010 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Narrel View Post
    The short answer is that you should continue using the in-game bug report tool (or using that link you mentioned outside the game - they both go to the same place) for any bugs with the Lua API or bugs with the documentation mismatching what you can actually do. We do have our eyes on the bug queue from there so I can assure you that if you report it through there, we will eventually see it. Framing the bug with "Lua API bug" or "Lua Documentation bug" would certainly help make sure it gets to the right people, too. That is the best way to report it for now but eventually we will also have a sub-forum in here specifically for any issues found in the API or documentation.
    This is kinda off topic, but I was curious if there were any plans on dumping the Lua scripting forums in the live one - or even a subforum. There's a lot of useful information stuck in that forum, that we can no longer access.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/wK9A7aa.png[/IMG]

[SIZE=1][B][COLOR=white]75[/COLOR][/B] Fourohfour | [B][COLOR=white]75[/COLOR][/B] Artemedis | [COLOR=Blue][B]60[/B][/COLOR] Whiskeytango Foxtrot | [B][COLOR=#00ca00]50[/COLOR][/B] Mistah Boombastic | [B][COLOR=#00ca00]56[/COLOR][/B] Appetizer | [B][COLOR=#a7a7a7]25[/COLOR][/B] Aggromi | [B][COLOR=blue]61[/COLOR][/B] Onepointtwentyone Gigawatts [/SIZE] [/CENTER]