We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Reproducable cursor zoom bug - BuffBars (and maybe others)

I only know BuffBars because it's the first plugin I've used and loved. Thanks to the author.

To the point of the post. this is a heads up to the people who use at least this plugin, possibly others. I already bugged this, and I don't know if it's more a Turbine-side code error/Lua implementation thing or if there's anything the authors can actually do to fix it. I don't claim to be very good at scripting either, though I can kinda understand the code.

But anyway, what we found out and I put in the bug report was that the following series of steps will reproducably bug your mouse cursor out so you cannot zoom in and out with your cursor. Keyboard still works even when mouse doesn't work though. It's like it locks the mouse focus onto the old despawned window.

a) Get the BuffBars plugin from http://www.lotrointerface.com/downlo...-BuffBars.html (Tested with both the old version of the plugin (OrendarPlugins) and the current one (PengorosPlugins))
    b) Load the plugin in game (/plugins load BuffBars)
    c) Verify mouse zooming works at this point.
    d) Throw up a buff/debuff with a relatively short duration. I used my minstrel ballad tier 1-2 buffs.
    e) Hover your mouse cursor over one of the buff/debuff bars and keep it over the bar as the timer reaches 0 and the window despawns. It does not have to be the last buff/debuff on the list.
    f) Mouse zooming should now be broken, just like used to uncommonly happen pre-F2P but no one ever seemed to know why.

Also of note, you can fix this zoom not only by relogging, but also by /plugins unload (and then just /plugins load buffbars again). Don't know if that works for the non-plugin-related cursor zoom bug, or what the original cause of this was (are there any scrollable despawning windows before the patch that could do this?).

Sadly /plugins unload doesn't fix the "mouse cursor not hiding when RMB is held down" bug that strikes now and then, including twice in a row when testing this, and no visible cause for that yet either.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=pink]Kethina, Woman Burglar [/COLOR][COLOR=cyan]([/COLOR][COLOR=pink]80[/COLOR][COLOR=teal]|[/COLOR][COLOR=pink]R5[/COLOR][COLOR=cyan]) [/COLOR][COLOR=purple]|[/COLOR] [COLOR=pink]Shiara, Elf Minstrel [/COLOR][COLOR=cyan]([/COLOR][COLOR=pink]85[/COLOR][COLOR=teal]|[/COLOR][COLOR=pink]R9[/COLOR][COLOR=cyan]) [/COLOR][COLOR=purple]|[/COLOR][COLOR=pink] Alynne, Hobbit Huntress [/COLOR][COLOR=cyan]([/COLOR][COLOR=pink]67[/COLOR][COLOR=teal]|[/COLOR][COLOR=pink]R4[/COLOR][COLOR=cyan]) [/COLOR][COLOR=purple]|[/COLOR][COLOR=pink] Kylanna, Woman Loremistress [/COLOR][COLOR=cyan]([/COLOR][COLOR=pink]85[/COLOR][COLOR=teal]|[/COLOR][COLOR=pink]R4[/COLOR][COLOR=cyan])[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=pink]Defenders of the Mithril Halls[/COLOR] [COLOR=cyan]([/COLOR][COLOR=pink]Landroval[/COLOR][COLOR=cyan])[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=pink]Landy: Avarice (R5 Warg), Squeak (R4 Defiler); Brandy: Amberjack (R4 Warg)[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Re: Reproducable cursor zoom bug - BuffBars (and maybe others)

Lol so that's why my zoom would always get broken. I ran into this when I was developing the plugin as I always had the tooltips open to make sure the timers were synchronized. Unfortunately it isn't something we can fix on the plugin end.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengoros View Post
    Lol so that's why my zoom would always get broken. I ran into this when I was developing the plugin as I always had the tooltips open to make sure the timers were synchronized. Unfortunately it isn't something we can fix on the plugin end.
    Actually, all you have to do is set EffectItem.MouseClick = nil before you remove the it from it's EffectList. I'll leave where exactly to stick that code up to someone who actually knows the design. I changed EffectList:EffectRemoved() and it appeared to fix the bug.

Code:
    function EffectList:EffectRemoved(effect)
        local i;

for i = 1, self:GetItemCount() do
            local effectListItem = self:GetItem(i):GetEffect();

if (effect == effectListItem) then
                local effectElement = self:GetItem(i);
                effectElement:SetVisible(false);
                effectElement.MouseClick = nil;
                self:RemoveItemAt(i);
                break;
            end
        end
    end
    I have no idea why this matters.

Edit: If I had to guess, it'd be because it's necessary to clean up mouse handlers on anything that you're going to destroy. I have no idea, as I just realized anything that I've written a mouse handler for wasn't getting destroyed until the plugin was unloaded.
    Last edited by moebius92; Sep 13 2010 at 02:10 PM.

Cleaning up mouse handlers is easy enough to do, thanks for the fix.

Interesting. Thank you for the info/fix/work/research/plugin, didn't know where to put this.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=pink]Kethina, Woman Burglar [/COLOR][COLOR=cyan]([/COLOR][COLOR=pink]80[/COLOR][COLOR=teal]|[/COLOR][COLOR=pink]R5[/COLOR][COLOR=cyan]) [/COLOR][COLOR=purple]|[/COLOR] [COLOR=pink]Shiara, Elf Minstrel [/COLOR][COLOR=cyan]([/COLOR][COLOR=pink]85[/COLOR][COLOR=teal]|[/COLOR][COLOR=pink]R9[/COLOR][COLOR=cyan]) [/COLOR][COLOR=purple]|[/COLOR][COLOR=pink] Alynne, Hobbit Huntress [/COLOR][COLOR=cyan]([/COLOR][COLOR=pink]67[/COLOR][COLOR=teal]|[/COLOR][COLOR=pink]R4[/COLOR][COLOR=cyan]) [/COLOR][COLOR=purple]|[/COLOR][COLOR=pink] Kylanna, Woman Loremistress [/COLOR][COLOR=cyan]([/COLOR][COLOR=pink]85[/COLOR][COLOR=teal]|[/COLOR][COLOR=pink]R4[/COLOR][COLOR=cyan])[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=pink]Defenders of the Mithril Halls[/COLOR] [COLOR=cyan]([/COLOR][COLOR=pink]Landroval[/COLOR][COLOR=cyan])[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=pink]Landy: Avarice (R5 Warg), Squeak (R4 Defiler); Brandy: Amberjack (R4 Warg)[/COLOR][/SIZE]