We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Novice Trait and Riding skill

So, I can't find anywhere where this question has been asked or answered. I am a premium member. If I buy Riding Skill for the ~300 points, is that only good on one character or is it good for all characters on a particular realm? Does anyone know this, or has anyone bought the riding skill. Other question is, if I upgrade to VIP and I obtain riding skill free on my toons, if I cancel and go back to premium will they keep their Riding Skill?

Re: Novice Trait and Riding skill

It's just one character.

And yes, if you get it while VIP (have to be level 20) and you lapse back to premium, you still keep it.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but my question is related to this.

So I just rejoined once free to play came out, and am interested in getting a mount. My character is level 30, but I can't see the skill in the LotRO store, nor can I do the quest to get the skill. It says I need the Novice Trait, but I can't find it anywhere in-game for my character. What do I need to do?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wytefyre View Post
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but my question is related to this.

So I just rejoined once free to play came out, and am interested in getting a mount. My character is level 30, but I can't see the skill in the LotRO store, nor can I do the quest to get the skill. It says I need the Novice Trait, but I can't find it anywhere in-game for my character. What do I need to do?

Thanks!
    From "talking" to the Horse Master, I read that we need to "...complete the New Player Experience and earn the Novice Trait." It's not explicit as to what this means, but once that's out of the way, the Riding ability can be purchased for 195 TP from the LOTRO store.

If I find anything else out that makes this more clear, I'll post again.

Okay....here's what I found out. Everyone gets the "Novice trait" once they've completed the intro for each new character. Open your Character window and look under the Skills tab. It'll be listed under the Passive skills as Novice. So...everyone SHOULD already have it. Kinda dumb that the Horse Master mentions it. It's a bit misleading/confusing.
    Last edited by RobertChristian; Sep 30 2010 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertChristian View Post
    Okay....here's what I found out. Everyone gets the "Novice trait" once they've completed the intro for each new character. Open your Character window and look under the Skills tab. It'll be listed under the Passive skills as Novice. So...everyone SHOULD already have it. Kinda dumb that the Horse Master mentions it. It's a bit misleading/confusing.
    There is a very good reason for this statement. There are characters in the regular public Middle Earth that do not have the "Novice Trait". You used to get it after you left the introduction. There was quest you had to pick up near where you were placed in Middle Earth after you finished the introduction. Some people never completed this quest. In the old days, they would hit a content piece that required the Novice Trait. Some would get all the way to 35, turned away by the quest giver in the horsefields.

Angry customers would put in a ticket for a game master. Eventually, customer service had a talk with Turbine development. You got to do something about this situation.

I suspect people that are in this situation now have to put in a ticket. Request a Senior Game Master. Have the SMG fix their character.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

First, thanks to Yula for that update on the Horse Master's text.

Finally, after so long in figuring this whole thing out, I got my mount!

Sure enough, once I got the 195 TP and dished-over 500 silver, I was given a horse that is now listed under the Mounts tab of the Character sheet. Like any other skill, this icon can be dragged to your toolbar for one-click summoning.

Hope that helps all who have wondered exactly how to get your mount!

Quote Originally Posted by RobertChristian View Post
    First, thanks to Yula for that update on the Horse Master's text.

Finally, after so long in figuring this whole thing out, I got my mount!

Sure enough, once I got the 195 TP and dished-over 500 silver, I was given a horse that is now listed under the Mounts tab of the Character sheet. Like any other skill, this icon can be dragged to your toolbar for one-click summoning.

Hope that helps all who have wondered exactly how to get your mount!
    NOPE, doesn't work for me, bought the riding skill from Turbine on sale at 49....got to lvl 20, went to buy my horse and it says you do not have the pre-requisite quest......so no horse.....have a ticket open for 2+ days and haven't heard anything back.....any suggestions would be most welcome.....

I, too, bought the riding skill and the horse master says I need the basic riding trait. My e-mail says it is added to my account. It is very frustrating and time consuming to figure this out. I sure hope someone will post a remedy.

Similar level of confusion. I completed a quest at the farm "Proving Your Worth" or something. That gave me the passive skill, Riding. That didn't update my mounts page with the basic mount skill, however. The guy who sells horses at the farm doesn't take cash, he only takes receipts of purchase. Meanwhile, there's no in-game indication where this "receipt of purchase" comes from. Based on the conversation here, it looks like I have to use the online store to get the receipt. (a) If that turns out to be the answer, it would be nice if the game had some way of saying that. For example, instead of the mouse-over (in the purchase window) saying "Take this receipt to X for your horse," it could say, "Go to the online store to get this receipt." (b) Having to go to the store for this is pretty distracting, as far as Role Playing is concerned.