We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
    I've logged in to play in CA,TX,GA,DC,IL,MN,ID,OR,NV

Feeding the Company -- do not repeat the quest

In Enedwaith, just NNW of the middle, there's a little ranger camp called Echad Saeradan and there are three rangers standing there. One of them offers a quest called Feeding the Company. After you do it, you will have be presented with two new quests, 1) redo the quest, 2) do a different quest. The two options are mutually exclusive.

Feeding the Company gives Grey Company reputation. Doing the other quest takes you to a small camp where you get a few more quests and then leads to a repeatable quest that gives Algraig reputation. Including this repeatable quest, there are four repeatable quests that give Algraig rep. After doing every quest in Enedwaith, I was still only Acquaintance with the Algraig. Imagine having no other quests to earn rep in Lothlorien except picking up arrows/filth and then running the arrows and burning the filth. No picking flowers, no singing to trees, just arrows and filth. That's the way it is in Enedwaith, at least until the next book expansion.

So, if you want Algraig reputation, don't repeat the Feeding the Company quest (although you do have to do it once to get the option of doing the other quest).
    Last edited by Banaticus; Sep 09 2010 at 10:12 PM. Reason: added the camp name -- thanks gildhur
    2017: 6 levels and an instance! As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he joined the Smaug The Dragon raid. Then he asked for leadership, looted the chest, assigned himself the 1st age Arkenstone and mailed it to an alt (Bilbo's a VIP so can mail from anywhere). They did some PvMP and an Epic Battle, then he apologized and gave the Arkenstone back because it wasn't BoA. He kept the pony.

Re: Feeding the Company -- do not repeat the quest

Quote Originally Posted by Banaticus View Post
    In Enedwaith, just NNW of the middle, there's a little ranger camp with three rangers. One of them offers a quest called Feeding the Company. After you do it, you will have be presented with two new quests, 1) redo the quest, 2) do a different quest. The two options are mutually exclusive.

Feeding the Company gives Grey Company reputation. Doing the other quest takes you to a small camp where you get a few more quests and then leads to a repeatable quest that gives Algraig reputation. Including this repeatable quest, there are four repeatable quests that give Algraig rep. After doing every quest in Enedwaith, I was still only Acquaintance with the Algraig. Imagine having no other quests to earn rep in Lothlorien except picking up arrows/filth and then running the arrows and burning the filth. No picking flowers, no singing to trees, just arrows and filth. That's the way it is in Enedwaith, at least until the next book expansion.

So, if you want Algraig reputation, don't repeat the Feeding the Company quest (although you do have to do it once to get the option of doing the other quest).
    Thanks for reposting this B!
    I was so concerned about it last night that I skipped the quest entirely. I will go back and complete it the first time only.
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/home/character/1054335/146085512913891866/][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820700000010321a/signature.png]Eryndar[/charsig][/url]
    Eryndar - 75 Warden / Jadwin - 75 Minstrel / Antrius - 75 Hunter / Saelethial - 66 Champion

FYI, the camp is called Echad Saeradan.
    Arda Shrugged - Elendilstone & Landroval

I've logged in to play in CA,TX,GA,DC,IL,MN,ID,OR,NV

Thanks, I edited the camp name into the post.
    2017: 6 levels and an instance! As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he joined the Smaug The Dragon raid. Then he asked for leadership, looted the chest, assigned himself the 1st age Arkenstone and mailed it to an alt (Bilbo's a VIP so can mail from anywhere). They did some PvMP and an Epic Battle, then he apologized and gave the Arkenstone back because it wasn't BoA. He kept the pony.

Wish i saw this post before i rushed to go check out the new area, unfortunately i didn't realize there was 2 factions until after i got to the main town, which is after you do these quests. the quest does have red text warning but should warn that by doing one over the other you lose out on a repeatable quest with a gold token of the wild and 1 of only 4 quests to get your reputation up, thus extending your ability to reach kindred with the Algraig by several weeks.

Very poor quest design here by Turbine, this should be revisted by the devs and changed, I understood the new area as being tied with the new book which is about the grey companies path, but by doing this quest to help fead them you lose the ability to get more rep and better rewards.

BOO!!!

We tried to tell them this was a dumb idea in beta. It's the only content in over half a year and they lock you out of part of it if you don't pay attention and repeat one quest. So for now I warn everyone I can to not repeat Feeding the Company.

Thanks for the warning. Generally, if presented the option of repeating a quest I just did or doing a new one, I'm likely to pick the new one anyway. That might have been enough by itself to keep me from getting caught in this trap, but knowing to beware of it is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwashi View Post
    Thanks for the warning. Generally, if presented the option of repeating a quest I just did or doing a new one, I'm likely to pick the new one anyway. That might have been enough by itself to keep me from getting caught in this trap, but knowing to beware of it is better.
    This is generally my rule of thumb as well, however there are quests I won't do, like the one where the dude (dwarf?)asks you to kill animals (deer?) that will affect your Loth standing.

It's a moral dilemma, and it seems to me the obvious choice is to side with the Algraig, as per the Ranger's desire. He made a mistake and is trying to make amends, and the Grey Company *is* trying to get on the good side of the Algraig. Why would the Algraig reward you with standing/tokens if you keep offing their livelihood??

However, I do understand that people motor through quest descriptions, not really reading the text, and perhaps there should be some sort of compensatory quest if you fail to take the moral high road in the first place. Perhaps they should have penalized Algraig rep afterwards, giving one the hint that it was a bad thing to do and always giving people the option afterwards to correct their increasingly negative standing.

I took the option of giving the other group some meat , over killing more Ox because I'm Nice

no really it seemed like a quicker option then hunting more Ox on my Mini :P

Glad I went that way...

Thanks for posting this, because I would have done it differently on my next run through on one of my alts, just to see the difference... now I wont.
    Doktaduck. Elendilmir
    Duckborn, the Beorning. Arkenstone .
    Hilindor, the Warden . There and Back Again. Anor .

So..... You have to do feeding the company once - but then when you go back - since it is a repeatable, if you click it without bothering to read it you are screwed forever? .

I noticed the RED warning - so didn't take it - but apparently I had already done it once. or once too often. Since this is a repeatable and the red warning is there every day if you don't take it a couple days in a row or even once we should get the option to take the other.

I've been skipping it for the last few days hoping to be able to pick up the other quest line.
    Shrug - guess I might as well just do it - it it is never going to reset.

Really do think it should re set if you skip it a day so the next day you can pick up the other quest line.

Thanks for the heads up. I remember hearing something about this and thought I would research it before doing it. Found this thread.

I believe the devs said that eventually there will be more Algraig rep quests. Plus you can still get Algraig rep. So people really can take either option they want---but it's good to know the immediate repercussions of it.

I believe the quest you should take is A Matter of Doubt if you want the Algraig rep more quickly.
    Kynji

The quest is named: A matter of doubt.

Thank you for the heads up. I have been doing a bunch of quests around that area, but I don't think I have done any of the repeatable quests a second time yet, trying to do all original quests first like a couple posts above agree on.